~*~*~Official USUHS Class of 2011 Thread~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you still at UF or did you already graduate?

I graduated UF in Spring 2005, but returned to Gainesville this past August to take BCH4024. It was definitely fun to watch the championships, even as an alum!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I'm going to look at apartments around the school today- my lease runs out mid-may so i may move up there early. I'll let you know if I find anything good!

A Blue Angel crashed today in SC. While we are all military (or soon to be), and this is sad for anybody, it hits particularly hard for me since they are based in my hometown. Let's keep the pilot's family (as well as all military families) in our thoughts and prayers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,267681,00.html#

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting something Asher. Growing up in Florida, I always loved going to see the Blue Angels. They are probably the reason why I am going into USUHS in the Navy. They were the first "military" experience I ever had and I had the good fortune to see them twice in this past year. Although I am not sure which pilot was involved, I spoke to each one just 3 weeks ago here in Tampa and I would like to express my sincere condolences to the Blue Angels, their families, and the naval community in general.

A picture I took 3 weeks ago (albeit really downsized and cropped):

Attachments

• angels2.jpg
    angels2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 134
Well I called today for an update as I'm beginning my 9th week since my interview. I was told that the decision hasn't come back and that I should check back in 2 weeks (11 weeks!!!!). Well I guess I shoudln't be surprised as it is the government....but come on!

Well I called today for an update as I'm beginning my 9th week since my interview. I was told that the decision hasn't come back and that I should check back in 2 weeks (11 weeks!!!!). Well I guess I shoudln't be surprised as it is the government....but come on!

I think this is unusual but it took me about 7 weeks till I heard anything however I took a little while to submit my grade update which I am sure delayed my application. Keep waiting and good luck. This process is so long and exhausting. I remember checking my email everyday and when I didn't hear anything I would just get so frustrated.......+pissed+

Finally got my unconditional today :thumbup: It says in the letter that comissioning and orders won't happen until after the May 15th, but I already sent all the paperwork to Ms. Taylor. So has anyone heard anything more about this or received orders yet????

Finally got my unconditional today :thumbup: It says in the letter that comissioning and orders won't happen until after the May 15th, but I already sent all the paperwork to Ms. Taylor. So has anyone heard anything more about this or received orders yet????

I am wondering the same thing. I think after may 15th everything is gone start snowballing as I will have to arrange a move, get everything together for OBC (which literally begins right after my last final on June 8th) and wrap some things up here in town. I wish we could get our orders sooner so we could begin arranging our moves etc.

Hey everyone! I got into USUHS a little while ago and I'm pretty excited about the prospect of going there. However, I also got into UMD up in Baltimore. I'm having a hard time deciding which school to go to. I'm leaning towards Maryland b/c of their top 50 status, good curriculum structure and non-miltary life (but it's also in B-more, bad). But then agian, USUHS has a good program (so I've heard) and the money is GREAT, plus Bethesda is an awesome part of DC.
I'll be a USNA grad in a couple of weeks (YES!!!) and I've pretty much got the military part down, at least from a training command perspective. My though process right now is: Is the education at UMD really better than USUHS to sacrifice the pay/other bene's at USUHS?
Anybody got any thoughts?
I've heard there's no "right" decision, but I want to do my research and be happy.

USNDoc2001,

I think you can be very confident in USUHS' medical education as at my interview I was told about some VERY impressive board scores. This in addition to the benefits the military provides for my family cannot be matched by my state school (UW which is a top 10 school). UW's board scores are not on par with USUHS and I will have a greater oppurtunity to match in a more competative specialty at USUHS. You will have to consider the pros and cons and make a choice that is right for you but don't worry about the education you will recieve at USUHS. I spoke with a clinical sight at Madigan that takes UW students and USUHS students and was told that the USUHS students run circles around the UW students.

Hey everyone! I got into USUHS a little while ago and I'm pretty excited about the prospect of going there. However, I also got into UMD up in Baltimore. I'm having a hard time deciding which school to go to. I'm leaning towards Maryland b/c of their top 50 status, good curriculum structure and non-miltary life (but it's also in B-more, bad). But then agian, USUHS has a good program (so I've heard) and the money is GREAT, plus Bethesda is an awesome part of DC.
I'll be a USNA grad in a couple of weeks (YES!!!) and I've pretty much got the military part down, at least from a training command perspective. My though process right now is: Is the education at UMD really better than USUHS to sacrifice the pay/other bene's at USUHS?
Anybody got any thoughts?
I've heard there's no "right" decision, but I want to do my research and be happy.

Congratulations on getting both acceptances. I think you have a difficult decision to make, but I think if you look at it differently you may be able to easily answer it. Personally, I think you will get the best education at the school where you feel the most comfortable. In the end, the level of education is going to depend on how much effort you put in. If when you visited UMD you felt like you would fit in there then that is where you should be. However, if you visited USU and felt better about the school, staff, and other students then that is where you should go. No matter where you go, whether it be USU or UMD, if you don't enjoy your environment, including the people and staff, then you are not going to be motivated to study. Also, I spoke with a surgeon resident director that takes both USU and non-USU students, and he told me the USU students are better prepared, more mature, and have a better understanding of what is required of a physician. Ultimately, the decision should be where you think you can get the best experience -- money aside.

My wife and I are going to Maryland June 13th through June 16th to look for somewhere to live. I tried calling the Navy lodge that was in the student orientation book, but they told me since I'm not active duty I can't make a reservation there. Does anyone know of a good/safe hotel near Bethesda. Also, if anyone has any suggestions about nice places to live right next to the school my ears are open.

I would look into the germantown, gaithersburg area. They are great neighborhoods, with awesome public schools and provide a great route to Bethesda. I have been told this repeatedly by others and will be renteing a townhome in germantown once the USUHS student who lives their now vacates it in june. Good luck.....

Members don't see this ad :)
USNDoc2001,

I think you can be very confident in USUHS' medical education as at my interview I was told about some VERY impressive board scores. This in addition to the benefits the military provides for my family cannot be matched by my state school (UW which is a top 10 school). UW's board scores are not on par with USUHS and I will have a greater oppurtunity to match in a more competative specialty at USUHS. You will have to consider the pros and cons and make a choice that is right for you but don't worry about the education you will recieve at USUHS. I spoke with a clinical sight at Madigan that takes UW students and USUHS students and was told that the USUHS students run circles around the UW students.

I haven't heard much about the board scores, but I have heard the bolded statement at more than one military training hospital...and these statements were not made by USUHS graduates alone.

Congratulations on getting both acceptances. I think you have a difficult decision to make, but I think if you look at it differently you may be able to easily answer it. Personally, I think you will get the best education at the school where you feel the most comfortable. In the end, the level of education is going to depend on how much effort you put in. If when you visited UMD you felt like you would fit in there then that is where you should be. However, if you visited USU and felt better about the school, staff, and other students then that is where you should go. No matter where you go, whether it be USU or UMD, if you don't enjoy your environment, including the people and staff, then you are not going to be motivated to study. Also, I spoke with a surgeon resident director that takes both USU and non-USU students, and he told me the USU students are better prepared, more mature, and have a better understanding of what is required of a physician. Ultimately, the decision should be where you think you can get the best experience -- money aside.

Excellent post! :thumbup:

I've read in orientation guide that the services (JPPSO) will move our belongings to the area. Will they also ship our vehicles? I'm coming from California, and would prefer not to drive cross country, especially since I'll have about 1 week from the end of OBC to orientation.

I've read in orientation guide that the services (JPPSO) will move our belongings to the area. Will they also ship our vehicles? I'm coming from California, and would prefer not to drive cross country, especially since I'll have about 1 week from the end of OBC to orientation.

Try this link, http://www.belvoir.army.mil/jppsowa/outbound.html

It's a little confusing in a couple of places, but I don't believe they pay to move your car unless you are being stationed overseas. If you read this differenly and you find out I'm wrong let me know.

Unfortunately, your vehicle is not included in the household goods move, unless you are either going to, or coming from, an overseas (Hawaii included) location.

I would look into the germantown, gaithersburg area. They are great neighborhoods, with awesome public schools and provide a great route to Bethesda. I have been told this repeatedly by others and will be renteing a townhome in germantown once the USUHS student who lives their now vacates it in june. Good luck.....

Those are great places to look! You can also look into Rockville or Silver Spring.

Most of the apartments right in Bethesda that we looked at weren't really right for what we were looking for- small for the price, more expensive for less space, and mostly in towers. I think we're actually going to look for a townhouse or house further away.

If you can find it, there are houses for rent in the neighborhoods near USUHS and the NIH, but they tend to go fast and be a little pricy.

Montgomery county schools are well known in the DC area for being excellent :)

You can also look into Rockville or Silver Spring.

Most of the apartments right in Bethesda that we looked at weren't really right for what we were looking for- small for the price, more expensive for less space, and mostly in towers.

Montgomery county schools are well known in the DC area for being excellent :)

I'll second that advice, another two good areas are near the shady grove metro (only a few stops to NIH) and kensington (for a SF house). I am not a big fan of Gaithersburg or Germantown because if you have to drive at peak traffic time it can be a nightmare.

Oh, and I have officially joined the attending USUHS with kids crew. Our baby boy was born the 18th at 8:06 am.:biglove: Maybe we can arrange for group study sessions with an associated babysitter before exams!

I'll second that advice, another two good areas are near the shady grove metro (only a few stops to NIH) and kensington (for a SF house). I am not a big fan of Gaithersburg or Germantown because if you have to drive at peak traffic time it can be a nightmare.

Oh, and I have officially joined the attending USUHS with kids crew. Our baby boy was born the 18th at 8:06 am.:biglove: Maybe we can arrange for group study sessions with an associated babysitter before exams!

Congrats CurlyDC!!!!

Hey congrats curly!

Hey everyone....save me a place to live should I ever actually hear back from USUHS and ever get good news :oops: :banana: :luck:

And thanks for the reply FizbanZymogen. I'm used to waiting as this is my second med school application cycle (didn't find out about USUHS until this cycle so its my first app there). I'm currently waitlisted at UAMS (Arkansas) and just found out I was placed on the waitlist for SLU.

Seeing that all you guys have your children with you is making me sad. I have a two year old boy and if I attend USUHS he is staying here in Columbus with his mom (my ex).

Congrats on all you that have received your conditional/unconditional acceptances.

Hope to join soon.

Hey guys congrats on everyone who's been accepted to USU for next year!! I'm currently an AF MS1, prior active duty AF, pharma drug rep before that...and absolutely LOVE this school. It was my top choice and I'm very happy with my decision. If anyone has any questions I doubt I'll be on here much but feel free to PM me or send me an e-mail at [email protected]

Can't wait to see you all next year! (specially cause that'll mean I'm an MS2!)

Jaime

Bubblehead-to-MD, jjfutureMD, FizbanZymogen, thank you so much for giving me some insight on my choice. I plan to make up my mind on Friday, I just wish I could go to both places. Its gonna be tough...

Best of luck to all of you, even if I may not see you next year!

Yay!!! I got accepted off the Air Force Waitlist today!! I just got the phone call. I'm suprised they called so late. (It's 10:15 here). For anyone on the waitlist that put down their cell phone number and screens their calls.. my call came from a 619 area code number rather than a maryland or dc area code.

Now its the hard decision. I thought I was done with those when I withdrew from everywhere else except USUHS when I got in to the school in my hometown. I just couldn't withdraw from USUHS I just felt like I meshed well there.

I guess I will introduce myself to my potential classmates..

I am a 23 year old female. I am kinda of a mix of your trad/ non trad student. I graduated with my BS in 05 and then with my MS in Aug 06. Currently I work doing research at my state medical school. I am not prior military but I am an Air Force brat so I kinda know a little bit about the military (well the Air Force at least). And unlike most of you I don't have any cute pictures of kids to post, but I do have some cute ones of my puppy.

Yay!!! I got accepted off the Air Force Waitlist today!! I just got the phone call. I'm suprised they called so late. (It's 10:15 here). For anyone on the waitlist that put down their cell phone number and screens their calls.. my call came from a 619 area code number rather than a maryland or dc area code.

Now its the hard decision. I thought I was done with those when I withdrew from everywhere else except USUHS when I got in to the school in my hometown. I just couldn't withdraw from USUHS I just felt like I meshed well there.

I am a 23 year old female. I am kinda of a mix of your trad/ non trad student. I graduated with my BS in 05 and then with my MS in Aug 06. Currently I work doing research at my state medical school. I am not prior military but I am an Air Force brat so I kinda know a little bit about the military (well the Air Force at least). And unlike most of you I don't have any cute pictures of kids to post, but I do have some cute ones of my puppy.

WooHoo!!! Congrats :thumbup: I look forward to meeting everyone at OBC and those other branches at USUHS. I really think this class in going to rock.

Now if we could just convince SDN applicant of the year Danjo to come to USUHS (come on you don't need to go to Hopkins or Harvard ;) ) I don't know how you did it Bubblehead but you've got some awesome choices ahead.

CONGRATS!

USUHS is amazing like that. It grabs hold of you and won't let you go. Trust me, I know!

Congrats on the acceptance!!! I think 619 is a San Diego area code. I wonder if someone from the Office of Admissions was on travel when the Committee decided to notify you...

WooHoo!!! Congrats :thumbup: I look forward to meeting everyone at OBC and those other branches at USUHS. I really think this class in going to rock.

Now if we could just convince SDN applicant of the year Danjo to come to USUHS (come on you don't need to go to Hopkins or Harvard ;) ) I don't know how you did it Bubblehead but you've got some awesome choices ahead.

I don't think I deserve such a prestigious title. SDN applicant of the year? Wow! I have definitely been very fortunate this year. Perhaps it is my devilishly good looks? Maybe it is the pics of my super cute baby? ;)

I spent last weekend at Hopkins to participate in their Revisit Weekend events. I had a really good time, but unfortunately, I have not come away with any true clarity. I still cannot shake the fact that I would more than likely be a better fit with this group.

I assure you, I am not drawn to Hopkins for its name/prestige. That certainly is something I consider, but the most significant factors for me are the structure of the preclinical curriculum (it is on a block system, with only one course at a time) and the flexibility that exists within their clinical curriculum (you just need to complete your core requirements sometime during third and fourth year - you pick the scheduling).

I just need to do some serious soul searching here, and get my priorities straight. I have all of the information I need to make an "educated" decision. I just need to sort it all out and figure out what is most important to me.

I will definitely share that decision with all of you when I have, in fact, made up my mind. I am truly honored that so many of you have expressed that you would like me to be a member of your class. Thanks!

I assure you, I am not drawn to Hopkins for its name/prestige. That certainly is something I consider, but the most significant factors for me are the structure of the preclinical curriculum (it is on a block system, with only one course at a time) and the flexibility that exists within their clinical curriculum (you just need to complete your core requirements sometime during third and fourth year - you pick the scheduling).

I will definitely share that decision with all of you when I have, in fact, made up my mind. I am truly honored that so many of you have expressed that you would like me to be a member of your class. Thanks!

Bubblehead,

The Hopkins schedule sounds great. A block schedule is ideal for me as I tend to learn better in that situation. Clinical schedules are also very important to me as I believe the clinical years have the greatest potential to affect what type of physician you will be (and gives you time to rotate in those programs once you have figured it out). Either way I'm sure your going to be a great physician and will excel in your chosen field (especially if applying for your chosen residency is anything like your med school app. record).

Bubblehead,

The Hopkins schedule sounds great. A block schedule is ideal for me as I tend to learn better in that situation. Clinical schedules are also very important to me as I believe the clinical years have the greatest potential to affect what type of physician you will be (and gives you time to rotate in those programs once you have figured it out). Either way I'm sure your going to be a great physician and will excel in your chosen field (especially if applying for your chosen residency is anything like your med school app. record).

Thanks! I noticed you changed your avatar and signature today - it's official then?

Thanks! I noticed you changed your avatar and signature today - it's official then?

Yup!!! HOOAH! I couldn't be more excited and it feels good to finally have made a choice and to know where I am going. My wife and I have been talking about this forever and it just made sense logically and instictively. My gut just wouldn't let USUHS go.

I am getting nervous b/c I have set a deadline for myself to decide FOR SURE about school in the next week. (I also have an acceptance at Jefferson and waitlist at MCV). I have felt best about USUHS throughout the application process... things just clicked and felt right there. I love the people and think it would help me become an amazing doctor.

I think the only thing I am still nervous about is the prospect of matching for a residency within the AF (you know, the whole there are only so many spots for what they need that year, etc...) Anyone want to allay my fears? I read the horror stories on the milmed forum and it seems like things have to be blown out of proportion. I'm interested in different things and think I could be happy in a few different specialties. I mean, it's not like I'll never get training, right? I don't mind doing something general like flight surgery for a while but not for an extended period.

I was wondering about how easy it is to match into and where the spots were for Air Force surgery. When I searched I couldn't find anything for the Air Force

I was wondering about how easy it is to match into and where the spots were for Air Force surgery. When I searched I couldn't find anything for the Air Force

I think in the Air Force you're going to have to be pretty competative. Your competing with a smaller group, but you have a lot less surgery slots in the Air Force. My student interviewer at USUHS was Air Force who matched Gen. Surgery at Wright Patterson which was pretty impressive. To sum it up from what I know it very attainable but you better bring it.

So this is it! I decided on Friday that Bethesda will be home for the next four years, I'm going to USUHS!

I deliberated for a while and finally decided that despite the things I liked about UMD (playing civillian for four years, a cool curriculum, and inner city patients), USUHS was the place to go. Top on my list of reasons to go was the end-product. I'ver heard lots of great things about USU grads. Another top reason was the connections: we're going to be trained with and by people who are going to serve side-by-side us in the fleet. Also, the pay and the area will be a lot better for my study habits (as opposed to inner-city baltimore) and some of the debt I already am in.

So I'll see you all at the start in August! Get ready...

I think the only thing I am still nervous about is the prospect of matching for a residency within the AF (you know, the whole there are only so many spots for what they need that year, etc...) Anyone want to allay my fears? I read the horror stories on the milmed forum and it seems like things have to be blown out of proportion. I'm interested in different things and think I could be happy in a few different specialties. I mean, it's not like I'll never get training, right? I don't mind doing something general like flight surgery for a while but not for an extended period.

DITTO - I'm going AF too and am a little concerned about what I've been reading on the milmed forums. I'm getting ready to send in my final paperwork and want to be 110% sure about my decision. Can anyone provide any more insight into what Lexi said?

Additionally, if anyone knows of a contact I could get in touch with who might have more info availible that would also be helpful :)

So this is it! I decided on Friday that Bethesda will be home for the next four years, I'm going to USUHS!

I deliberated for a while and finally decided that despite the things I liked about UMD (playing civillian for four years, a cool curriculum, and inner city patients), USUHS was the place to go. Top on my list of reasons to go was the end-product. I'ver heard lots of great things about USU grads. Another top reason was the connections: we're going to be trained with and by people who are going to serve side-by-side us in the fleet. Also, the pay and the area will be a lot better for my study habits (as opposed to inner-city baltimore) and some of the debt I already am in.

So I'll see you all at the start in August! Get ready...

Congratulations. I'm glad to know we are going to have some of the top-tier students in the country making USU an even better place. I think you will be very happy with the choice come August.

Yes. I'll be excited to study with you guys.

On a related note, is anyone looking for a roommate??

Some quick info about me:
I'll be a MS-1 this august..
I'm male, single, will have turned 22 by aug.
I have no particular preferences, other then that
if we choose to study at the apartment, it will be
very serious studying :)

So if anyone is in a similar situation just post
tentitavely on here and we can discuss.

Operator started a USUHS C'11 group on Facebook. The full name is "USUHS Class of 2011" but if you search for "USUHS" in Facebook it should come up. Feel free to join!

PS. If you aren't on Facebook check out www.facebook.com. Anyone can join and it's free.

Yes. I'll be excited to study with you guys.

On a related note, is anyone looking for a roommate??

Some quick info about me:
I'll be a MS-1 this august..
I'm male, single, will have turned 22 by aug.
I have no particular preferences, other then that
if we choose to study at the apartment, it will be
very serious studying :)

So if anyone is in a similar situation just post
tentitavely on here and we can discuss.
Re3iRtH, Subway5c and Operator,

I'm looking for a roommate, a couple actually. I just got this idea today, but I figure if its gonna happen, its gonna have to happen quick.

I'm looking for a couple guys to go in and buy a house together in some arrangement. If we can pool our BAH and some help from other places, I'll bet we can get a decent house in the area (and if not this semseter, maybe the next). My thinking is that 4 years is a long time to stay in one area, especially for the military, and our stays may be even longer with internship and other things. Renting for that long does not seem like a very good idea since we'll never see that money again, we can build equity over that time with a house and when its time to go, we can just sell the house and recover the cash that we invested in it ($$$$$$$ :D ). I'm sure there's plenty of arrangements that can be made if one of us needs to get out early (hates someone, loves someone, wants to live in a box...)

I'm 22 as well and will be in the class of 2011 and I am all for serious studying. I've also been pent up at the USNA for 4 years and am ready to have a responsible, self-sustained life.

If anyone else thinks this is a worthwhile idea, let me know and maybe we can help each other out. If anyone thinks I'm a complete idiot, please call me out before I self-destruct.

For those who have heard this post before I apologize...
More people are starting to think about housing so I will post again.

I am a traditional male student (will be 22 in June) and am going to OIS with the Navy. I am also looking for roommates and am open to different housing options. I am leaning towards an apartment that is only 2 miles from USUHS and is brand new.

The website is: http://www.avalonatgrosvenorstation.com/home.html

It would average out to 1000/person for a 2 bed/2 bath. The nice thing is that it is 300 feet from the metro and very close to USUHS. The reason I am leaning towards renting (at least for the first year) is I don't want to go through the hassle of finding and buying a home/townhouse and worrying about maintenance, etc...

I am also planning to be married within the next 2 years (hopefully) so I don't want to start down the "buying" road and then do it all over again when she moves up.

Things that are important to me are: 1)close to school/metro 2)very little hassle 3)relatively new facility 4)getting this settled before OIS

Like I said though- I am open to all possibilities - I am also planning on flying up to DC in the beginning of June to look at places. Facebook or pm me if you find something.

USNDoc,

That sounds like a good (and probably profitable) idea given the inflation in the housing market around DC. However, I don't think I'm ready financially to sign a mortgage at this time. I, too, will (hopefully) be getting married in a couple of years as well. Thanks though and best of luck.

Just joined the facebook crowd! It's nice to put faces with the usernames!

This may be a stupid question.....Does the Navy arrange transportation (airfare, etc.) to OIS, or am I responsible for getting there myself?

Also, has anyone else spoken with the Housing Office and gotten any really good advice about house hunting -- Keep receipts, stay at this hotel, or anything of the sort?

I am not sure about OIS but I believe that for OBC you can Fax a copy of your orders to an office Michelle told me about and they will buy a plane ticket for you which is completely electronic so you just show up at the airport for your scheduled flight and print the boarding pass there (this is pretty much what everyone does now anyways).

I posted this in facebook, but so far, no responses - anyone on here have any thoughts?

"One of the great things about this USUHS group is that a lot of students have children, particularly infants (congrats again Meghan!) and toddlers. My wife and I are still trying to figure out what to do about child care in the Bethesda area for our 6 month old son Jake. I have researched some of the local day care centers (the Child Development Center on the Bethesda campus included), but most of them have substantial waiting lists.

Has anyone found a great resource for the area, or know of anyone that is interested in providing child care services (babysitter, nanny, etc.)?

Thanks!"