Official UTHSCSA c/o 2010 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everybody,

My name is Brandon. Thought I would follow the trend of introducing myself and I thought a change of avatar to a drunken photo of me and the Mrs. would be a good way for any of you to recognize me. Anyways, is the slight onset of nervousness starting to creep up on anybody else. I had a dream last night that I killed a patient by putting a decimal in the wrong spot. I guess it has begun. When I was a bartender I used to dream about being in "the weeds" or waiting on people while I was in knee deep sand and everybody was yelling at me. I guess the same pattern of nightmares follows whatever profession you choose.

I also tried (in vain) to get a UTHSCSA med school t-shirt online. I couldn't find any site selling them. I kind of want to flaunt the fact that I am in med school to all the teachers who said I should change my major after my first dismal year of college. Oh well. Hope everybody else is doing good.

Members don't see this ad.

adrenalitis said:
I also tried (in vain) to get a UTHSCSA med school t-shirt online. I couldn't find any site selling them. I kind of want to flaunt the fact that I am in med school to all the teachers who said I should change my major after my first dismal year of college. Oh well. Hope everybody else is doing good.

Not that you can find much UTHSCSA except at the bookstore on campus but hold off spending too much on UTHSCSA gear.

The second (ahem...that would be my class next year) and fourth year classes defintley make money by selling really amazing t-shirts.

Actually, my class did it this year as well as first years.

But t-shirt revenue is particularly important for both 2nd and 4th year classes in order to raise money for an "End of Basic Science" Party, for the second years before they hit the hospital wards, and a "Match Day" party, for the fourth years, with match day obviously being the BIG DAY for any medical student.

USCTex said:
Not that you can find much UTHSCSA except at the bookstore on campus but hold off spending too much on UTHSCSA gear.

The second (ahem...that would be my class next year) and fourth year classes defintley make money by selling really amazing t-shirts...

...Awesome!

Hi everyone...my name is Renee, and I was lucky enough to find out that I would be a part of the UTHSCSA class of 2010 in December. I am very fortunate to be a part of JAMP (a program for undergrads in the state of Texas) and it has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I am graduating in May but am finding it hard to stay on task for this last semester. I think I check the San Antonio Medical School website everyday...just browsing around and day-dreaming. I can't wait to meet you all during the welcome ceremonies!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy guys, I thought I would introduce myself also since a bunch have. My name is Jennifer and I am currently down in Aggieland. I am really excited to be accepted into the UTHSCSA class of 2010!!! I am originally from S.A. and I never really thought I was going back (even though I love it there!)...but I am really glad I am. Well I can't wait to meet y'all!!! :D

Did anyone else get a surreal feeling when they opened their letter?

It was REAL all of the sudden. It is so exciting...

And to USC, I am in the burbs, Orange County

I haven't received my letter yet :( hopefully I get it soon... :)

Yeah, it definately feels real when you have the letter with a watermark and signature. Let the new countdown till whitecoat ceramony begin.

Hey, Southern Blah, you're from Orange County, CA? Which part of the O.C.? I was born and raised in the North O.C.

To all current UTHSCSA students here, do you know when the "welcome weekend" might be? Is it supposed to be held in the Spring, or is right before the White coat ceremony?

Do you know if it might be possible to visit UTHSCSA again, this Spring? I mean, I really want to sit in of the M-1 classes and see how it is....and possibly talk to more med students at UTHSCSA. Have you heard of any incoming "M-0" students doing this? If I could, I would totally be willing to make a trip out to San Antonio.....

Dr. 90210 said:
Hey, Southern Blah, you're from Orange County, CA? Which part of the O.C.? I was born and raised in the North O.C.

To all current UTHSCSA students here, do you know when the "welcome weekend" might be? Is it supposed to be held in the Spring, or is right before the White coat ceremony?

Do you know if it might be possible to visit UTHSCSA again, this Spring? I mean, I really want to sit in of the M-1 classes and see how it is....and possibly talk to more med students at UTHSCSA. Have you heard of any incoming "M-0" students doing this? If I could, I would totally be willing to make a trip out to San Antonio.....

yes yes..can someone please answer that. I would be interested to know as well.

Also, are there any such things where you can take an anatomy class or biochem class before school starts? UTSW had something like that to help someone with very little science background such as myself to get a head start..just curious if UTHSCSA has something like that as well...

BlinkyCat said:
yes yes..can someone please answer that. I would be interested to know as well.

Also, are there any such things where you can take an anatomy class or biochem class before school starts? UTSW had something like that to help someone with very little science background such as myself to get a head start..just curious if UTHSCSA has something like that as well...
I'll try and answer some of those questions.

The welcome weekend isn't something formal in the sense that the school itself arranges it. Rather, it's run and put on by the class right ahead of you, the MS2's, which is mine (c/o 2009). For reasons not entirely their fault, the class of 2008 didn't put on a WW for our class and our class is determined that this will not happen for you guys. Things are going to get rolling planning-wise and with dates very soon - probably within a week so that we can publish the info to your class.

Also, I'll be building a rudimentary class web site for you guys. It'll have a mini forum like SDN where you guys can go to chat, exchange info for housing, etc. For a taste of what we're planning, you can go to the class forum I built for our class:

http://uthscsa.lampshark.com/

As far as preparation: some may think I'm stupid for suggesting this, but the school offers two first-year place out exams, one in Biochemistry and the other in Physiology. If I had known well enough in advance about these tests then I would have prepared for them. If you get a 75 on either then you get credit (no grade) for the class.

Believe me, if you have one less class to stress over (like my roommate) because you passed the test, you'll never stop thanking yourself. The biochem test is given at the end of orientation week and the physiology exam is given right before that starts (which is like a module or two later).

If y'all want to prepare for them, then you can use Lippincott's Biochem to study from. It's an excellent medical biochem book and is exactly what you'll need. For phys, I'd recommend Costanza's Physiology. It's absolutely spot-on and I'll be using it and Lippincott's to prep for STep 1 with.

Finally, we do offer a pre-matriculation course here and I think it's run by the office of Hispanic affairs or something. You can Google for it if you're interested. Hope this helps. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers!

EvoDevo said:

The welcome weekend isn't something formal in the sense that the school itself arranges it. Rather, it's run and put on by the class right ahead of you, the MS2's, which is mine (c/o 2009). For reasons not entirely their fault, the class of 2008 didn't put on a WW for our class and our class is determined that this will not happen for you guys. Things are going to get rolling planning-wise and with dates very soon - probably within a week so that we can publish the info to your class.

Also, I'll be building a rudimentary class web site for you guys. It'll have a mini forum like SDN where you guys can go to chat, exchange info for housing, etc. For a taste of what we're planning, you can go to the class forum I built for our class:

As far as preparation: some may think I'm stupid for suggesting this, but the school offers two first-year place out exams, one in Biochemistry and the other in Physiology. If I had known well enough in advance about these tests then I would have prepared for them. If you get a 75 on either then you get credit (no grade) for the class.

Believe me, if you have one less class to stress over (like my roommate) because you passed the test, you'll never stop thanking yourself. The biochem test is given at the end of orientation week and the physiology exam is given right before that starts (which is like a module or two later).

If y'all want to prepare for them, then you can use Lippincott's Biochem to study from. It's an excellent medical biochem book and is exactly what you'll need. For phys, I'd recommend Costanza's Physiology. It's absolutely spot-on and I'll be using it and Lippincott's to prep for STep 1 with.

Finally, we do offer a pre-matriculation course here and I think it's run by the office of Hispanic affairs or something. You can Google for it if you're interested. Hope this helps. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers!

Thanks alot EVO!! :)

EvoDevo said:

Cheers!

How soon would you suggest visiting San Antonio to check out apartments? My wife and I would like to go down soon (although we wont move down from Dallas until June or July), but since I assume we probably can't do anything about a lease until this summer, would I be wasting some time going down there now?

THanks and look forward to meeting some of you!!

EvoDevo said:

Cheers!

thanks for the helpful tips, Evo :) what's the grading scale like? ABC or HP, P, etc?
i tried looking on the wesite...but couldnt find anything. also when does school begin?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Do any of the current students on this thread know anything about the MS-Too group for spouses of med students. I really want my wife to feel like a part of the process and if this is an active organization then I think she would like to be a part of it. I'm wondering. . what do they do?. . how often do they do whatever it is they do? . . . and do alot of the wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends participate? Since we don't really know anybody in SA I was thinking this would be a good way for her to make some friends so she would feel more comfortable with moving from her childhood hometown. Thanks.

Also, that pre-matriculation program sounds cool. Do they offer a stipend? And since it is put on by a group with hispanic in the title of the organization does that mean that it is available only to hispanic MS0's?

Thanks so much Lane, EvoDevo, USCTex, and everyone else for answering questions so far.....

Def. let us know when the "welcome weekend" will be when you find out......apparently other TX schools are also doing something like this.....for example, I read that UT Southwestern is holding a "MS0 Day" on Feb. 24....

vik829 said:
thanks for the helpful tips, Evo :) what's the grading scale like? ABC or HP, P, etc?
i tried looking on the wesite...but couldnt find anything. also when does school begin?

The grading scale is A,B,C,F. In most classes a 90 is an A and so on, but in anatomy a 93 is an A. I am told that if grades are low they will grade on standard deviations rather than on solely numbers, but i guess we won't know about this until the end of the year. And in reference to what evo said about placing out of phys and biochem...its an awesome idea. I wish i would have done it. Getting rid of one class gives you alot of extra time, and med school is pretty much about how much info you can cram in you head with the quickness (at least the first year). SO, if you can have to cram a little less than your year will be much easier.

suckafree03 said:
How soon would you suggest visiting San Antonio to check out apartments? My wife and I would like to go down soon (although we wont move down from Dallas until June or July), but since I assume we probably can't do anything about a lease until this summer, would I be wasting some time going down there now?

THanks and look forward to meeting some of you!!

It certainly doesn't hurt to go earlier. I went on a weekend in February or March and ended up putting a deposit down, locking in my (low) price! Then when summer came around, since I put my deposit down early, I was high on the list to move in when 4th years/residents were moving out. Also, like USCTex said, if you come early, you can get your zone 4 parking pass (zone 5 is the parkig pass that requires you to take a shuttle to school, while zone 4 is within walking distance).

About our curriculum........as I'm sure you've heard, we have basically been the guinea (sp?) pig class with this new systems-based/integrated curriculum. At first it was a little strange because your first two modules are General Concepts I and General Concepts II--basically a bunch of intro-type stuff sorta jumbled together. But as you get into Cardiovascular/Respiratory and GI/Renal, everything starts to flow and overlap. Learning the anatomy, biochem, histology, physiology, and even physical exam of one organ system has been really good so far. I honestly forget which class I learned something in because there is so much overlap (for example, during this past endocrinology module, histology really helped me learn the physiology!)

Congrats on getting into a great school guys....I've been really impressed with how receptive the administration is to feedback....if you haven't heard already, the weekly integrated quizzes were cancelled based on our feedback this semseter (they only count if they help our grade this year :thumbup: :thumbup: ). You guys will definitely have it pretty good :cool:

cya,

-tx

Ditto what TxMed and txguy said.

As far as the pre-matriculation program, you'd have to check it out as far as it having a stipend. I want to say that it doesn't, but please find out for yourself. :)

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. It makes the transition seem easier and I am sure it will make adjusting once we get ther easier as well.

Dr. 90210, where did you grow up in the OC? I am in the Brea, Yorba Linda, Chino Hills area right on the border of Orange and San Bern. counties (and LA county too, I guess.)

I am really having a hard time keeping my mind off starting. However, I know I do not want to be to complacent with the the time I have before I begin. I know once it starts you will not have time to catch your breath. Especially, if you are like me and feel guilty when you are not studying.

Adren, where are you coming from. I would be interested in in the info on the MS-Too program as well. Let me know if you find something out.

M

TxMed said:
The grading scale is A,B,C,F. In most classes a 90 is an A and so on, but in anatomy a 93 is an A. I am told that if grades are low they will grade on standard deviations rather than on solely numbers, but i guess we won't know about this until the end of the year. And in reference to what evo said about placing out of phys and biochem...its an awesome idea. I wish i would have done it. Getting rid of one class gives you alot of extra time, and med school is pretty much about how much info you can cram in you head with the quickness (at least the first year). SO, if you can have to cram a little less than your year will be much easier.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question...what's the difference between this grading system and UTSW's? Everybody was freaking out about UTSW's but that seems to be what they're doing. I guess in theory, everybody can get an A in this situation at UTHSCSA and not at UTSW...

When is it too late to find an apartment? I don't have a car, so I have to wait until someone who does can drive me.

Anyhow, do we need a car to survive med school in San Antonio? Just wondering....

I can't wait to meet everybody!! I can't wait until school starts. I'm sick of not learning something. I sent out my letter about wanting to come yesterday! :thumbup:

Also, thanks to all the med students that have been answering our questions... :)

Southern Blah, I'm from that same area.....from Diamond Bar, actually.

Thanks everyone, for the tip about trying to take that placement test for Biochem and Physio. Do a lot of people try to place out? Also, how does it work in terms of classes........because now, MS1 classes are no longer arranged by subject, but rather by systems. So how can people really place out of these subjects, when biochem and physio will be integrated into each system?

So from what I understand, Southwestern's system is like a law-school relative grading system. It's not based on how well you do, but how well you do with respect to your classmates. So if the median for a certain exam was 87%, then that would be a C and your scored would be graded accordingly. That's my understanding.

As for us, if you get and A then you get that score. Seventy five percent of the class could ace a class and the administration wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Earlier is better for the apt but it's never too late. Also, a car is a must here. The area around the med center isn't especially pedestrian friendly, and most of the fun stuff to do requires a car to get to.

As for the exams, the classes run from Aug --> Sept, with the relevant info for that module being emphasized in each class. So with our Endocrine module, Biochem/Histo/Gross/Physio emphasized the relative bits that we needed to know. If you placed outta biochem or phys then you wouldn't have to deal with that material during the block. Capiche? :)

Adren, where are you coming from. I would be interested in in the info on the MS-Too program as well. Let me know if you find something out.

I am from a little town called "Sour Lake, Tx". It has less than 1750 people so I don't expect anybody to know where it is at. If you paid attention when Hurricane Rita made landfall, then Sour Lake was right on the Western edge of the eye wall. I go to local school called Lamar University which is in Beaumont, Tx. I just sent an email to one of the school office people asking about the MS-Too group and when I get a reply I'll let you know.

See ya.

Also I'd just like to add that SA has the most posts out of all the texas schools... so obviously that relates to its awesomeness.

Good Point LD

Just trying to pad my post count...

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet -- but next year, there will no longer be weekly quizzes in EVERY class!! :) Only Phys and Gross!!

Not to detract from UTHSCSA's "awesomeness", but if you count Baylor as one of the texas schools then we have about 300 more posts to catch up. So let's get crackin'.

Megalin said:
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet -- but next year, there will no longer be weekly quizzes in EVERY class!! :) Only Phys and Gross!!

Hahaha.. You guys mentioned this a couple of times. Goodness..those quizzes must have really sucked... :laugh:

I'm glad they're gone then..

Haha..I see I'm not the only one who is secretly or not so secretly proud of the fact that out class thread has the most posts (ignoring Baylor). :p

So, as far as the Hep B immunizations go...is having the series done once enough? I had mine in 1998. Should I get them all over again, or will this suffice? (when I got that letter, even though it was just about immunizations, i was really excited bc it was from UTHSCSA! what a dork :D )

Thanks alot!

Hi again. Are we suppose to receive more information about everything like financial aid and any housekeeping stuff? Also, aside from the FAFSA, do we have to fill out anything else? I tried calling the fin aid office, but the lady just refer me to some random site. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ciao! :)

Well actually if you think about it, some people who got into Baylor have known for months that they were in, and we just found out a week ago. Therefore, we're much awesomer. (good word, try to incorporate it into conversation today)

When you call the financial aid office - ask for JOHN. He is AWESOME. He'll answer your questions. :)

DON'T talk to the dental lady - Sometimes she takes med student questions, but she is mean. She told my mother I'd be living on raman noodles. My poor mother!!

ALSO - If you buy a laptop for med school, keep your receipt. You can turn it in for a financial aid reimbursement. John can tell you more about that.

I bought mine through the school. I get it fixed for free on campus anytime there is a problem. If they decide to sell them again this year, you should get that information in the mail at some point.

Of_The_Tower said:
So, as far as the Hep B immunizations go...is having the series done once enough? I had mine in 1998. Should I get them all over again, or will this suffice? (when I got that letter, even though it was just about immunizations, i was really excited bc it was from UTHSCSA! what a dork :D )

Thanks alot!

Hmm...I don't want to give you the wrong information but I think if you've had the entire Hep B series (3 shots) then you're set for a lifetime.

The letter made it out last year that it was bad news if you couldn't get all your vaccinations and get all your records in order (or maybe that is just what I read into it) but I had almost no physician's records (I only had documentation of hep B) last year during orientation and they just drew some blood and did a bunch of titers and it certainly wasn't a huge hassle. And if you haven't completed your Hep B series then it is easy enough to finish it during 1st year.

TxMed said:

Just so current MS1s and future MS1s don't get scared, an "A" in anatomy is a 90.0 and above, not a 93.0 and above. However, a "B" in anatomy is an 83 and above, so maybe that's what you were thinknig of! :D This scared me when I read your post, so I went to look it up.....

To my knowledge, all of our classes so far have 90 as the cut-off an "A" and a few classes have 83 as the cutoff for a "B."

Cheers,

-tx

I don't know if any of the other MS0's have been having this inner-monologue for hours about whether it is better to buy a house or rent an apartment if both options are feasible, but here is my train of thought so far on the subject:

Originally I was set on buying a house because I did not want to throw away $700/mth for four years and get nothing back when I graduate, but in looking at mortgage loans and interest rates I have learned something. The interest alone on a $80,000 loan would be roughly $385/mth while only $75 goes to the paying down the loan.

I was kind of shocked by this but thought "385 is less than 700". Then I added in the cost of insuring the home and paying the property taxes and this made the money that I would not be able to recoup on an owned property aprox. $685/mth. So really either way you go you will be throwing away about $700/mth.

Plus with owning a house there is no one to come fix your heater or pay for the bathroom pipe busting, etc. except for you. It is also somewhat scary to think that during my move to residency I would have to go through the trouble of selling my home rather than just canceling my lease.

So my decision was based on which I valued more: the privacy and control of owning a property while being responsible for the upkeep of the house, or the flexibility and close proximity to the medical center of an apartment.

Right now I am thinking apartment. Now just which apartment can I get a two bedroom at for $700? That's when my brain says "Maybe you should buy a house."- (inner monologue cycles again) :)

Please tell me if I am overlooking something or if my logic is just plain wrong.

adrenalitis said:
I don't know if any of the other MS0's have been having this inner-monologue for hours about whether it is better to buy a house or rent an apartment if both options are feasible, but here is my train of thought so far on the subject:

Originally I was set on buying a house because I did not want to throw away $700/mth for four years and get nothing back when I graduate, but in looking at mortgage loans and interest rates I have learned something. The interest alone on a $80,000 loan would be roughly $385/mth while only $75 goes to the paying down the loan.

I was kind of shocked by this but thought "385 is less than 700". Then I added in the cost of insuring the home and paying the property taxes and this made the money that I would not be able to recoup on an owned property aprox. $685/mth. So really either way you go you will be throwing away about $700/mth.

Plus with owning a house there is no one to come fix your heater or pay for the bathroom pipe busting, etc. except for you. It is also somewhat scary to think that during my move to residency I would have to go through the trouble of selling my home rather than just canceling my lease.

So my decision was based on which I valued more: the privacy and control of owning a property while being responsible for the upkeep of the house, or the flexibility and close proximity to the medical center of an apartment.

Right now I am thinking apartment. Now just which apartment can I get a two bedroom at for $700? That's when my brain says "Maybe you should buy a house."- (inner monologue cycles again) :)

Please tell me if I am overlooking something or if my logic is just plain wrong.
i rented an apartment my first year at carlyle lake for ~$680/month and was very happy with the service and accomodations.
now i'm renting a house with 2 roommates for ~$460/month - we still get stuff fixed by the landlord, we have a yard, we have a garage, we have 3300 sq ft to play around with, and it's cheaper than an apartment. win-win. of course it requires having roommates, which most married folk wouldn't be too keen on doing.

Of_The_Tower said:

Thanks alot!

You should be set as far as the school and documentation is concerned. However, I would recommend getting your Hep B titered upon arrival as a student. Its a free service to students as soon as school begins and I would definitely do it to make sure the vaccine worked. I had my series in 1999 and when I got it titered in my first year, I had zero antibodies. So I had to do the series again. Not a bad thing compared to getting Hep B.

adrenalitis said:

I know I don't belong in this thread, but just wanna give my 0.2.
1. The value of your home should go up at least a little during the 4 years. I'm not sure how the market is in SA. So, you'll have to look it up.
2. Sellers usually have to pay some percentage to the selling agent - that'll add to your cost when you're ready to sell.
3. Some mortgages are friendlier to short-time owners than others. If you decide to buy, be sure to shop around for those.

ClearDay said:
I know I don't belong in this thread, but just wanna give my 0.2.
1. The value of your home should go up at least a little during the 4 years. I'm not sure how the market is in SA. So, you'll have to look it up.
2. Sellers usually have to pay some percentage to the selling agent - that'll add to your cost when you're ready to sell.
3. Some mortgages are friendlier to short-time owners than others. If you decide to buy, be sure to shop around for those.

My boyfriend actually has been doing some research with respect to the real estate market in SA. According to him (don't quote me on this), he said SA real estate is greatly underpriced by the market. This means that prices are expected to go up. Actually this is the case with Dallas as well, but SA seems to be the one with the highest expected growth. If I remember correctly, during my interview at UTHSCSA, there were a good number of students in the panel who said that they were buying their homes. Out of all the TX schools, UTHSCSA seems to have the most students buying then renting. On the other hand, this correlation might be misleading since UTHSCSA also seems to accept more non-traditional, older students. They are the ones who are looking to start a family and such. That may also be why alot of them bought houses...

If I have the means, I would buy... just my opinion.. :)

adrenalitis said:

There are many calculators online that help you decide buy vs. rent. In generally, I think the rule is that you really don’t start having “ownership” of a house until after 10 years (of course this depends on mortgage rates, down payment, etc..); that is, you spend the first 10 years or so paying off the interest. Also, what ClearDay says is true—you have to factor in a lot of fees when you sell. Plus there are taxes. So buying isn’t a good option unless you think you’ll be in SA for more than 10 years (which depends on what type of residency you will be seeking and how competitive it is, and how many spots there are in SA, etc…). I think renting is the best option (at least for the first year). After you get a feel for the city, the school, the hospital, the people, and (perhaps) what type of residency you are seeking, you may want to re-evaluate the situation.

Well after 20+ hours in a vehicle I have successfully traversed across the country and made it back to Dallas. It feels good to be home.

It is interesting reading the rent vs. buy debate. I am still undecided as to what I want to do, but having all the info is helpful.

Someone will have to buy a house so we will have a place for all the post-test get togethers.

M

I have yet to properly celebrate my acceptance to medical school so if anyone is in the area get back at me.

Southern Blah said:
Someone will have to buy a house so we will have a place for all the post-test get togethers.

M

I’m actually thinking of renting a house so that I can have more space...and if the house came complete with a backyard, deck, BBQ pit, and pool I wouldn’t mind...

SteelBlue said:
I’m actually thinking of renting a house so that I can have more space...and if the house came complete with a backyard, deck, BBQ pit, and pool I wouldn’t mind...

Awesome!

So the first day of class is July 31st :eek: seems so close, yet so far away!

Reactions: 1 user
Of_The_Tower said:
Awesome!

So the first day of class is July 31st :eek: seems so close, yet so far away!

Yikes! That's really early compared to other schools...

So..I assume ya'll have sent in your letter of intent back to UTHSCSA. Anybody know how we can find out whether they recieved it or not? I'm a little worried it might get lost in the mail...and then miss the Feb 15th deadline..

Megalin said:
When you call the financial aid office - ask for JOHN. He is AWESOME. He'll answer your questions. :)

DON'T talk to the dental lady - Sometimes she takes med student questions, but she is mean. She told my mother I'd be living on raman noodles. My poor mother!!

Thanks Megalin. I asked John my questions instead, and now I'm more relaxed because he knows his stuff. :) What a nice guy! :)