Official UTHSCSA c/o 2010 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BlinkyCat said:
Thanks Megalin. I asked John my questions instead, and now I'm more relaxed because he knows his stuff. :) What a nice guy! :)

No problem.

That other lady really is scary. Think Mimi from Drew Carey. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current second year. I will throw in my experience buying a house. I actually bought a house this year (my second year). I decided to buy new so at least it would have some sort of warranty for 2 years. True, it's a cookie cutter track home (KB Home), but it is running about the same price as my last apartment. I pay about $800 a month on the mortgage which includes insurance and taxes. It is a little high for one person (I live with a gf who also has loans for school), but I believe it's definitely worth it. True, most of my payment is interest, but $75-100 a month in equity is more than nothing (what you get when you pay rent)!! And as another poster stated, housing prices are really depressed right now in San Antonio, but I have definitely noticed an upward trend the past 6 months. Assuming a conservative estimate of 3% annual appreciation on an 85k home, my home will be worth around 93k in 3 years. That is 8 grand right there. Add another 3k in paid principle over 36 months and you are up to 11k for 3 years. I paid about 1k in closing costs, so we are down to 10k. Subtract 4% for commission when I sell, and I am still netting over 6k. That is 6k not being wasted on rent. That of course assumes that everything works for 3 years and I don't have to pay to fix anything. I am just saying that buying a house for 4 years would probably see you recoup around 10k. It might be worth it, but there is the associated risk. Just don't be afraid to try if you can afford it.

On a side note, my mortgage is much higher than it should be because I had to get a mortgage that required no proof of job or income (I'm a student!). If you have a job and good credit, you could definitely make even more money on a house. Just my $.02

shawred said:
I True, it's a cookie cutter track home (KB Home), but it is running about the same price as my last apartment.

Can I ask what neighborhoor/area you are in?

Thanks for the breakdown of expenses. I’ve been thinking about buying a house (non-trad student, so I can afford the down payment), but since I am confident I do not want to be in SA after medical school, I wasn’t sure how the math would work. Now, it looks like I may want to give this option more thought; it sounds like I should talk to a financial planner.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, are the neighborhoods by the HSC safe and are there any homes that are close to the HSC? I keep looking on apartmentratings.com and apartments in the area seem to have a safety issue. Several of the reviews mention "driveby/ghetto/car-thefts" in their reasons why they are not happy with their apartment. My wife walked by the computer while the review that mentioned a driveby was up and now she is kind of freaked out. Somebody help me calm her nerves by telling me how safe the area is and how magical gnomes protect the med students and their families. :laugh: Really though, what apartments would current students recommend and which ones should we stay away from? (~$600-$800 for two bedroom). Thanks as always.

BlinkyCat said:
Yikes! That's really early compared to other schools...

So..I assume ya'll have sent in your letter of intent back to UTHSCSA. Anybody know how we can find out whether they recieved it or not? I'm a little worried it might get lost in the mail...and then miss the Feb 15th deadline..
Hi everyone,
I'll be a classmate next year! My first post on the boards...I've been lurking :oops: UTHSCSA was my first choice, and I'm excited about starting next year and meeting y'all!

I just wanted to let you know that you can call the registrar's office to confirm they received the letter of intent. The number is 210-567-2665

I bought a house on the NE side of town, around the area where 35 and the loop cross. You will pay the most living on the NW side (medical center side of town). Small, starter homes in that area start at around 95k. The exact same homes that cost 95k on the NW side run around 85-90k on the west or NE side of town. The west side of town isnt really that bad. It doesn't aesthetically look great in areas, but overall it isn't bad. The crime in San Antonio is about the same in all areas (property crime, etc.). That includes the medical center area off of I-10. In fact car thefts and burglaries are the greatest in that area (I assume because there are nicer vehicles, etc). However, the medical center area (I am referring to the NW side of town in general, so this includes the medical center and everything toward the outer loop 1604 around UTSA, six flags, etc) in general is the nicest part of town. You have to remember that this is a city and most of the homes I am talking about are not in your traditional suburbs.

The part of town to stay away from is the E/SE side. In general, this is a bad area.

The NE side of town is fairly nice (nicer than the W in my opinion). I think the best way to describe San Antonio is nice and ugly areas sprinkled together. You have to see it to know what I mean. But back to the NE. In this part of town you are near Converse (Judson High School). In the southern reaches of the NE side its a little industrial. Going North and East from there is becomes more like suburbs. To give you an idea of the scale I am referring to, I am talking about a stretch of about 3-5 miles so you can see what i mean by sprinkled. But to get to the real point, I feel safe and its a pretty nice neighborhood.

The west side of town as I said earlier is not bad. It gets progressively nicer and you go west from the loop (the further out on the perimeter). Some of the areas look industrial and shady, but there must be somethign to it because homes tend to be a little higher in that area than the NE side. This side of town you would just have to judge for yourself.

As for driving distances to school. From the NE side it takes about 25 minutes with no traffic. The worst traffic I have ever had took about an hour, but on average if you leave for 8am classes at 6:45-7:00 you are fine and usually have time to spare. From the west side the time can be anywhere from 15min to 45 min. Traffic there is really variable.

As for apartments around school. Crime is similar for all of them. I lived in apartments off of medical and I saw cars broken into from my windows a couple of occasions (including my own car). With that said, it really sounds worse than it is. You will feel safe. There are worse things than stealing CDs from your car. I reiterate, it's really NOT THAT BAD AND YOU WILL FEEL SAFE. I have never felt threatened in San Antonio. I actually really like the city.

adrenalitis said:
yeah, are the neighborhoods by the HSC safe and are there any homes that are close to the HSC? I keep looking on apartmentratings.com and apartments in the area seem to have a safety issue. Several of the reviews mention "driveby/ghetto/car-thefts" in their reasons why they are not happy with their apartment. My wife walked by the computer while the review that mentioned a driveby was up and now she is kind of freaked out. Somebody help me calm her nerves by telling me how safe the area is and how magical gnomes protect the med students and their families. :laugh: Really though, what apartments would current students recommend and which ones should we stay away from? (~$600-$800 for two bedroom). Thanks as always.

I live at a complex called The Vintage which is one of the closest to campus, about a 5-10 minute walk. It is very nice, probably the nicest in the immediate area around campus, and very safe. It has a single entrance/exit gate monitored by a guard. Uniquely, the complex is cube-shaped and built around a parking garage, so that when you drive in the complex, you drive up to your level, park and walk to your door. My wife and I, both medical students, have lived here for a year and love it. Its safe enough that we sometimes forget to lock our door and never worry (although I dont recommend this as routine). The tenants are either students, local professionals, or older retirees. The staff is excellent and I must say, we really feel at home here. All this does come at a cost though. We pay $750/mo for a 950 sq. ft. one bedroom unit w/den. Two-bedrooms run $1000-1200 depending on the floorplan. We are able to afford it b/c we opt for the one-bedroom. The two bedroom would be a financial stretch, although some students are able to pull it off. Hope this helps.

Hey all my name is Justin from Lamar University in Beaumont, TX. My question is about the White Coat Ceremony: when do you get sized for your coat? I know it is only February but I am in this weird headspace where I have to get everything done right now-LOL.

UTHSCA c/o 2010!!!

For those keeping score @ home that is 2 for Lamar U...

justy_jfg said:
Hey all my name is Justin from Lamar University in Beaumont, TX. My question is about the White Coat Ceremony: when do you get sized for your coat? I know it is only February but I am in this weird headspace where I have to get everything done right now-LOL.

UTHSCA c/o 2010!!!

Congrats Justin,

My name is Brandon Bonds. I graduated from Lamar in December and will be in your class. I don't know if we ever met on campus but my wife says she remembers you from high school (her name was Tabitha Mahana, and Brad Mahana [her brother] should have graduated with you). Small world. Anyways, I am getting a little weird too about getting everything in order. I know we have about five months, but I just want to be doing something. I am about two pages short of writing my own apartment guide with all the research I have been doing online LOL. Well good luck.

Oh, anyone interested in that group for spouses should send an email to Amber Zaccagni at [email protected] for more info. I think she is the one who coordinates the MS-Too group and my wife said she's real nice.

adrenalitis said:
Congrats Justin,

My name is Brandon Bonds. I graduated from Lamar in December and will be in your class. I don't know if we ever met on campus but my wife says she remembers you from high school (her name was Tabitha Mahana, and Brad Mahana [her brother] should have graduated with you). Small world. Anyways, I am getting a little weird too about getting everything in order.

Thanks Brandon. No I don't think we have ever met before but I have seen you around campus-I think we took the MCAT together too. I do remember Tabitha and I've known Brad since kindergarten. I also work with Ali Girard at the hospital. Anyway, congrats for getting into your first choice! I'll see you in July!

Hey everyone, I am going to SA town as well. I will be moving down there in July. I am looking into buying a house, so I will keep yall updated on the pros and cons of the process. I am gearing up for one hell of a ride.

Also, what’s the deal with parking? I read earlier that it “sucks,” but there was no explanation as to why. Do the first-year students park further from class/park at an extension lot and ride a shuttle/park under trees with birds that crap on their car? What is the situation? Any insight as to why it “sucks” but “gets better” would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard a lot about the new curriculum at UTHSCSA, and I was wondering what is so great about it. Can someone outline the curriculum for me?

SteelBlue said:
Also, what’s the deal with parking? I read earlier that it “sucks,” but there was no explanation as to why. Do the first-year students park further from class/park at an extension lot and ride a shuttle/park under trees with birds that crap on their car? What is the situation? Any insight as to why it “sucks” but “gets better” would be greatly appreciated.

I stayed with a 2nd year when I interviewed, and she took me to my interview. When she parked, it didn't seem to "suck" that badly.. She parked in some parking lot, and then we walked into one building...through some hallways..down some stairs..and we were there... :laugh:

houstoncfh said:
I've heard a lot about the new curriculum at UTHSCSA, and I was wondering what is so great about it. Can someone outline the curriculum for me?

I think alot of the med schools are switching to systems based curriculum where everything you learn is organized based on the organ or systems in that block.. UTHSCSA might be switching to that...I'm not sure.. From med students in other schools, they said it is awesome because it organize everything such that it makes sense...So if the section is circulatory system, then you learn about the physiology, biochemistry, etc etc about the heart and anything else in that system instead of physiology of everything...biochemistry of everything..

I tried asking my student interviewer(4th year) and my med student host (2nd year) about this new curriculum, but neither one of them really could explain it to me because they said that this is new starting with us...

I'll try to answer all the questions I can...

About jacket fitting
You aren't fitted for the jackets. A form will be coming, with a bunch of other stuff in a packet, that will describe what jacket size you would wear based on your chest size and arm length. You simply send it back with what size jacket you want and it'll be waiting for you at the White Coat Ceremony.

About crime around the school
The med center is in a surprisingly surburban part of town. The north central/west part of town is where I grew up and is where I'd classify the school as being. I live at I-10 and Wurzbach in a place called Broadstone Colonnade which is about a fifteen minute drive during rush hour to the school. Of course I'm playing about a flat 700 for a one bedroom.

I really don't think the medical center area is very dangerous. That being said affluency generally rises the more distal you get from Loop 410. If crime is a major concern I would defintley stay outside of 410.

Below is a link to crime information from the SAPD. You need to click on the link "SAPD Uniformed Crime Reports website" and it'll take you to a map of the city and you can look at the location of a number of crimes in the city over the past month.

San Antonio Crime Map

Since I'm assuming you're unfamiliar with the layout of SA I tried really hard to save the map I created that showed the area around the medical center but it wouldn't let me.

The summary basically is I grew up around the medical center and moved back to this area after college, so I've spent most of my life in this area of San Antonio and I've never felt it was dangerous of anything like that.

About the curriculum
The school has the year broken up into modules which are 3 to 5 weeks long, after which you typically have a week of tests. Personally I enjoy this, you take lots of tests for each subject making each test worth less of your gade...so if you screw up on one... Although I can understand how some people can be stressed by a round of tests every month.

Not all classes run in every module. For instance Physiology ran from the second module to last module but we don't have it for the last two modules.

The first two modules are kind've basic stuff - you do stuff like cell physiology. However after that the modules are grouped by organ system. An example: In the cario-resp module while you're doing heart physiology, and looking at heart muscle in hisology, you'll also be dissecting the heart and lungs in anatomy.

UTHSCSA has a lot of lecture hours scheduled as compared to UTMB and maybe other schools. This was kind've alarming for me at first but actually I think it is one of our strengths. This is complete opinion but for a lot of classes the syllabi are incredibly detailed. For plenty of classes nothing new is presented in lecture. So, it gives you a lot of flexibility. If you learn better by spending that time in the library then you won't miss anything a lot of time and the concise resources are available for you to learn the stuff on your own. But, if you learn better by hearing someone else lecture on a subject, the school isn't short changing you on that either, and you can go to lectures.

About Parking

Here is a map of UTHSCSA

Now we complain a lot but this isn't TMC. Now that place is a parking nightmare. Everyone at UTHSCSA, or virtually everyone, will have parking. It is just a far walk (or shuttle ride) to campus as a first year. However, you go on wait lists for better parking and eventually you'll move closer to the school...although probably not during first year.

In any case if you look at the map as a first year you'll be lucky to get a permit which allows you to park in Lot 11, all the way to the far left of the map. If you're unlucky you'll get a permit which allows you to park at Lot 17. If you can't find it on the map it is away from campus at the Allied Health building up at the top of the map.

You can certainly walk from Lot 17 although it is several blocks. I've never parked there personally but there is a shuttle from the lot back to the main campus...I'm not sure how often it runs.

It really is not that terrible of a parking situation.

I love this school and I know all of you will. Get ready :)

SC, thanks for the info. Have not seen you in the thread in a while. Have you been taking tests?

M

First of all, congrats to the new class!!!! We're so excited to have you all here in the very near future.

Regarding a place to live, be sure you get a place with at least a gate. My husband and I lived right off of Babcock and Medical which is really close to the med center. There was no gate and for a long time we didn't have a problem. Until his Jeep got broken into twice in three months. We ended up moving a little way down the street to a place called Oakdell Way apartments. It's gated and every apartment comes with a two car garage for free. Our rent is $866 every month and that's with a student discount. We've been really happy there. Heidi the manager is precious. If anyone wants to come by and check it out, you're welcome to.

Info on the welcome weekend will soon be forthcoming. I'm working on the website and should have it up for y'all this weekend (Lord willing and the Crick don't rise). :)

Thanks,

All the current students are being really cool about answering all our questions. It makes me glad that I ranked here. Here is one more question. I feel that my ability to succeed in school is directly related to my relaxation level. To unwind, I like to rarely (i.e. once or twice a month) go out and sit at a bar and drink shinerbock with my friends/classmates. I know that SA is a big town but is there one bar/club that most of the med students hang out at after tests and such? Just wondering.

Bonds

adrenalitis said:
Thanks,

To unwind, I like to rarely (i.e. once or twice a month) go out and sit at a bar and drink shinerbock with my friends/classmates.

Well, I'll start by saying--- I volunteer to be one of those classmates...

Well when I start medical school "I aint drinkin any more, but I aint drinkin any less"

does anyone know if you miss out on institutional scholarships and aid at uthscsa if you do not include parental information on fafsa??

Does anybody know who I need to contact to ask immunization questions. It looks like I've got all my shots already because they were done before college. Just needed to ask someone if I need to take them all over again to "update" it... (although I don't think my immune system will "forget" if that germ comes along..but I don't know..) :p

Count me in if ya'll are gonna take drinking breaks once school starts . :)

BlinkyCat said:
Does anybody know who I need to contact to ask immunization questions. It looks like I've got all my shots already because they were done before college. Just needed to ask someone if I need to take them all over again to "update" it... (although I don't think my immune system will "forget" if that germ comes along..but I don't know..) :p

The school will send out a packet of information which will include an immunization form. You fill it out and have a doctor sign it, mail it in, and you're good to go. No big deal if you don't have everything, you can get immunizations, TB tests, titers, etc during registration.

As for the question about financial aid and scholarships, both my wife and I received full financial aid and even some scholarship money. We dont file parental information, so I cant imagine that has any bearing on loan money. As for scholarships, those are either awarded academically, or are separate applications completely. So those wont be affected by how you fill out fafsa either. If and when various scholarships become available, the school will send out the info. The scholarships available vary by year, and often they arent applied for until school starts.

Now that the deadline has passed for acceptance I wonder how long it will be before we start receiving info from the school.

Yes I am anxious...

I am not in any hurry to start studying but I do want to make sure I have all my ducks in order.

Southern Blah said:
Now that the deadline has passed for acceptance I wonder how long it will be before we start receiving info from the school.

Yes I am anxious...

I am not in any hurry to start studying but I do want to make sure I have all my ducks in order.

Phew! I'm glad we get more info..I thought the letter of acceptance was the only thing we're gonna get...I was thinking, oh goodness, where do the people who don't know about SDN get their information.. :scared:

Word from the underground is that Welcome Weekend is going to be March 25th (completely unsubstantiated) I can't believe its going to be March already, I feel like this semester is flying by and yet I am so anxious about getting info that I wait for the mail everyday!

BlinkyCat said:
Phew! I'm glad we get more info..I thought the letter of acceptance was the only thing we're gonna get...I was thinking, oh goodness, where do the people who don't know about SDN get their information.. :scared:

Haha...by the time summer rolls around you won't even be able to keep everything you get from the school in order. Okay, maybe not, but you'll get plenty of more info, in lots of different mailings.

It is hard not to be anxious, and even though I don't know when you'll start recieving info, a lot of these questions will be explained once you do.

As well anything that isn't, well it isn't worth worrying about. That's easy for me to say. :laugh:

Really everything does work out. For instance, like I said I had almost none of my vaccine records, and I was worried. But it turns out, who cares? It worked out without a hitch...almost everything will once you guys get on campus.

And yes, the welcome weekend is happening for sure. I'm not sure when information about that will be mailed out however.

adrenalitis said:
Thanks,
I know that SA is a big town but is there one bar/club that most of the med students hang out at after tests and such? Just wondering.

Bonds

There are lots of lovely places. I live a block from $3 margaritas. And there's the Flying Saucer -- LOVE trivia night. There's nothing better than having a beer and trying to figure out which animal produced the petrified hairball. And the answer is NOT velociraptor.

Welcome Weekend 2006

Hi Class of 2010! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptance! We are all so excited to meet you!

As many of you have posted, you are very curious about the Welcome Weekend.....well, be curious no more!

My name is Kristin Brozena and I am a member of the class of 2008! I served as one of the co-presidents for the Recruitment Commitee this year and we have been working VERY hard over the last few weeks to organize the first ever UT Medical School at San Antonio Welcome Weekend!

Here is some info about the weekend:

The Welcome Weekend will take place March 24th and 25th. We will start at about 7pm on the 24th and finish up about 8pm on the 25th.

The evening of the 24th is an unofficial gathering at a local restaurant. As for the 25th, we will start at 9 am and will have a ton of fun activities for you (and a guest) to participate in....including: a few short talks from the administration, a very helpful student panel, an organizations fair, time to explore San Antonio with your new classmates (and current students!!) and a fun BBQ with first and second year students and professors!

Plus, we will be providing you with a packet of helpful information about the area, including apartments and other housing options, maps to local grocery stores and shopping malls and a list of help hints and tips from current students.

An official invitation, tentative schedule of events and maps will be mailed out on Tuesday, February 21st. Included in this packet will be information on how to RSVP for the weekend.....via the web!

If you have any questions before you receive your invitation, please contact me at:

[email protected] or via a PM on this site

I look foward to meeting each of you at the Welcome Weekend!

Kristin

That sounds great. Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

M

Hi all! I dont post very much but I'm gonna be one of yall's future classmates in San Antonio in the upcoming school year. With all this talk about finding places to live I was wondering if anyone was actually looking for a roomate? I'd rather not live alone if I can help it partly cuz it would be cheaper with a roomate and partly cuz I think I'd be bored out of my mind. If anyone's interested pm me or reply to this post. Thanks!
p.s. I'm a guy

Just wanted to let you know I will be a future classmate of UTHSCSA. Finishing up in New Orleans on my Master's and ill be moving to SA in early july.

Is the Welcome Weekend worth it to fly to from philadelphia? I don't want to fly in just for a day if it's not that important. I really want to meet everyone, but i still don't know if it's worth it? What do you guys think? :)

Lubbock21 said:
Just wanted to let you know I will be a future classmate of UTHSCSA. Finishing up in New Orleans on my Master's and ill be moving to SA in early july.

Congratulations. I think we had our interviews on the same day. I remember talking to a guy displaced from Katrina working on a Masters degree.

vik829 said:
Is the Welcome Weekend worth it to fly to from philadelphia? I don't want to fly in just for a day if it's not that important. I really want to meet everyone, but i still don't know if it's worth it? What do you guys think? :)

I think it would be cool to have the whole class show up, but Phili is a long way to go for just one day. I don't know about everybody else, but I'm not that special. So don't fly a couple hours just to meet me. If you can afford it and don't have anything else going on then do it, but I am positive that if you don't you will only miss out on a good time. There will be plenty of time to catch up on those. :)

SteelBlue said:
Congratulations. I think we had our interviews on the same day. I remember talking to a guy displaced from Katrina working on a Masters degree.

Yah, it probably was me. I interviewed there on Oct. 24.

Hi, future classmates! I'm hoping to meet as many of you as possible at the Welcome Weekend. Until then, take care, and continue to revel in the acceptance-to-a-fantastic-med-school bliss!

vik829 said:

Hi! The Welcome Weekend is a great opportunity to not only meet your future classmates before the first day of school, but also to come back to San Antonio, when you're not stressed about applying to school! However, the weekend is by no means mandatory....it's actually a student run weekend.....with the support of our awesome administration. Invitations along with more specific information about the weekend went out in the mail yesterday. We would love for you to attend, but I do realize it is expensive to fly from the East Coast. Please let me know if you have any specific questions....I'd be happy to help!

K

kbrozena said:
Hi! The Welcome Weekend is a great opportunity to not only meet your future classmates before the first day of school, but also to come back to San Antonio, when you're not stressed about applying to school! However, the weekend is by no means mandatory....it's actually a student run weekend.....with the support of our awesome administration. Invitations along with more specific information about the weekend went out in the mail yesterday. We would love for you to attend, but I do realize it is expensive to fly from the East Coast. Please let me know if you have any specific questions....I'd be happy to help!

K

ok..just bought the plane tickets :) (i'm also missing a major a capella retreat for this, but you guys are worth it)can't wait to meet everyone!

I received the letter about the Welcome Weekend today! Seems fun! :)

I got the letter too, yay!

(...I'm just going to come right out and say it) Is this the kind of thing one brings their parents to? The letter says "A guest" Is this really more for a student by themselves or for the student and their spouse or something (gulp)?

Renoir said:
I got the letter too, yay!

(...I'm just going to come right out and say it) Is this the kind of thing one brings their parents to? The letter says "A guest" Is this really more for a student by themselves or for the student and their spouse or something (gulp)?

Hi! Since I wrote the letter, maybe I can help!

The welcome weekend is geared for the accepted student. Each in-coming student is allowed to bring a guest of their choice....this can be a spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend....or even a parent, if you'd like!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Keep those RSVPs comin'!

Kristin :)
Welcome Weekend Co-Chair

So I RSVPed and I am bringing my wife. Just wanted to know if anyone else is bringing their spouse/bf/gf/parent/pet/etc. with them to the welcome weekend. Also, the hotels are cheap with that student discount (55-60 dollars)

adrenalitis said:
So I RSVPed and I am bringing my wife. Just wanted to know if anyone else is bringing their spouse/bf/gf/parent/pet/etc. with them to the welcome weekend. Also, the hotels are cheap with that student discount (55-60 dollars)

As of today, we have 23 in-coming students and 11 guests RSVPed for the weekend!

Kristin :)

P.S. If you haven't RSVPed yet, no worries, the deadline is March 17th!

Hey guys I've been wondering about the federal loan disbursements. I know that one is in July and the other in December and that most students get around $30-35k, but how much of a strain is it on you that first semester? I mean, you get half of let's say, $32k, which is $16k. I read elsewhere on this thread that $10-11k of that goes directly to the school in the form of tuition and fees, so that leaves only about $5-6k for six months. How do you guys live on that? Do you take out private loans to cover you until the second disbursement? It is entirely possible that I have my facts wrong and, if this is the case, please correct me.

Thanks!!!! :cool: