***Official UTMB-Galveston Class of 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No idea where anaotmy lab will be yet. UTMB has quest. Its usually got some theme and its just 2 days i believe of hanging out with classmates somewhere along the seawall.

You need to complete fafsa and one form on their website for scholarships and such.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply. Are loan options available by completing these two forms as well?

Yall have posted info about the fraternity houses. Are there any sorority houses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yall have posted info about the fraternity houses. Are there any sorority houses?

There are no sorority houses, but a few of the fraternity houses are co-ed.

As far as welcome weekends/orientations -- Quest is the weekend before orientation (Friday/Saturday) and it's all your typical getting to know you stuff/having fun. During the week of orientation, there will be more stuff like that and lots of parties/hanging out so you can meet people. :)

Has anyone been contacted about financial aid by UTMB. If not, does anyone know when they will?

Thanks for the reply. Are loan options available by completing these two forms as well?

Yes. And I believe someone mentioned that the anat lab will most likely be in the pharmacology building.

Does anyone have an update on where the anatomy lab will be located in August? Just curious. Also, does UTMB have anything similar to UTH's welcome weekend? Has anyone on here contacted UTMB about financial aid/loans? I read on their website, under financial aid, about certain forms that need to be completed in order to get things started, but it seems a little confusing. I guess I don't know what to do first.

The anatomy lab is confirmed to be on the upper floor of the pharmacology building by Dr. Miller. Quest, as Travis said, is UTMB's welcome weekend. It is the weekend before orientation. Quest this year will actually be one day. There was a lot of fluff that is being cut out to make it better. Unlike year's previous, it will be mandatory and there will also be some parent related activities as well. The Quest events will be at the Galveston Convention Center on Seawall. Since I found it a pain to find the financial aid stuff last here, here is the link for your convenience http://www.utmb.edu/enrollmentservi..._aid/VerificationFormsandParentsWorksheet.htm . The bottom form needs to be submited in addition to FAFSA, or else you are not eligible for scholarship. The 09-10 one has not been posted yet. Hope that helps. As always, any more questions feel free to ask.

Its going to be mandatory? I do not like the sound of that. I didnt go last year because of a cruise I was on. There would be no way Id miss something like that for quest. Its just a meet and greet for the most part. Orientation is boring enough for an entire week.

What do they think people have to be there for now?
Looking at the pre-match packet, it says the following:

"QUEST 2009 (new student retreat) for freshman students from all schools will be August 14-15, 2009. Your attendence is strongly encouraged.

New student orientation and registration will begin on August 24, 2009. Participation in this activity is a mandatory requirement."

Not quite sure if that applies to QUEST, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

Looking at the pre-match packet, it says the following:

"QUEST 2009 (new student retreat) for freshman students from all schools will be August 14-15, 2009. Your attendence is strongly encouraged.

New student orientation and registration will begin on August 24, 2009. Participation in this activity is a mandatory requirement."

Not quite sure if that applies to QUEST, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

Ya, I think that packet is outdated, I'm on the Quest committee and we had our first meeting. They mentioned its going to be mandatory. I'm gonna have a school rep meeting soon, I'll update you when, I get more exact information. Also, in the past Quest has been $35, but since its mandatory this year its free. And like Travis mentioned, the parties that week are the best part of the year. They are hiiiiighly recommended.

Ya, I think that packet is outdated, I'm on the Quest committee and we had our first meeting. They mentioned its going to be mandatory. I'm gonna have a school rep meeting soon, I'll update you when, I get more exact information. Also, in the past Quest has been $35, but since its mandatory this year its free. And like Travis mentioned, the parties that week are the best part of the year. They are hiiiiighly recommended.
Oh! Well then in that case, I'll take your word for it buddy. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Do many students go with the health insurance that UTMB offers?
Any estimates for what it costs per month?

Anyone know of any co-ed fraternities whose houses wereN'T destroyed during Hurricane Ike?

Sadly, TKY was the only house that was not damaged by the hurricane, but its all male. The beta house didn't have too much damamge and the school fixed it right back up pretty quick. I'm not sure what's going on with AKK, last I heard, they were disbanding, but they are co-ed. Phi Rho, I think is male only, but I have never heard anything about them. Phi Chi is the only really active co-ed fraternity. Their main building got damaged, but I'm not sure how bad the individual rooms got. That might be something you want to ask their leadership. Those are all the fraternities that were there when I started. DrSno, I think a lot of people have that insurance, but I'm not sure how much it costs, I don't have it myself.

Can we use macs at utmb?

yes definitely! there are a FEW things that aren't the most convenient to use on a mac, but you can always just use the school computers for that. I'd say the class is 50%/50% mac vs. pc :)

Do many students go with the health insurance that UTMB offers?
Any estimates for what it costs per month?

Here is the link: www.uhcsr.com
Just search for UTMB under the enroll now link. Fill it out like you are going to buy and you can see the prices per semester. Before the school year begins, you can do a one time payment and I believe it was around $1300 for the year (could be wrong but not by much).

Thanks for that info lilcat.

Fyi Sno, I heard a lot of students complain about that insurance when I matriculated, but I can't remember if they were mere quibbles or dealbreakers in retrospect. I ended up shopping mine on einsurance.com, iirc.

Haha, whoops. Disaster averted. :p

Seriously though, what the heck happened? (PM if you'd like)

My email account is with Yahoo. I'm subscribed to two threads on sdn that send me an email when somebody posts. Going through my emails I accidentally hit the spam button when I was done reading one from this thread. Later I got on sdn and it said I'd been banned for "creating a false spam message to Yahoo" haha!!

My email account is with Yahoo. I'm subscribed to two threads on sdn that send me an email when somebody posts. Going through my emails I accidentally hit the spam button when I was done reading one from this thread. Later I got on sdn and it said I'd been banned for "creating a false spam message to Yahoo" haha!!
Haha! Wow, a bit excessive, no?

Either way, good to have you back! Now you can get back to answering our annoying questions when they pop up.

Anybody know when we'll get the big packet of info and forms and such?

I talked to someone the other day in the admissions office and they said they were going to be sending that stuff out in early March.

For those interested, I also spoke to a lady at UTMB regarding the time line for submission of the "institutional grants/scholarships" form. She said that it will most likely be March 1st.

Did all the acceptees receive an "institutional grants/scholarships" form?

Does anyone know where I can find the 2009-2010 Academic calendar? If not, when does school usually start for 1st years? Beginning, middle, or end of August? I guess we also have to be present for Orientation. Any idea when that's going to be?

Does anyone know where I can find the 2009-2010 Academic calendar? If not, when does school usually start for 1st years? Beginning, middle, or end of August? I guess we also have to be present for Orientation. Any idea when that's going to be?

In the admission packet it says classes begin August 31

So current UTMBers what is the latest sentiment about the future location of UTMB? Do you think it will remain mostly on the island, split between island/mainland, or go mostly to mainland?

I get the feeling that this current situation will only make UTMB a stronger institution in the long run.

So current UTMBers what is the latest sentiment about the future location of UTMB? Do you think it will remain mostly on the island, split between island/mainland, or go mostly to mainland?

I get the feeling that this current situation will only make UTMB a stronger institution in the long run.

http://www.utsystem.edu/news/2009/BOR-KSAReport-02-11-09.html

This is the latest as far as where UTMB will be goes. I'll be at the meeting if you have any comments that you want me to consider bringing forth.

I got my invitation to PREP yesterday in the mail. Did any of you 1st & 2nd years attend? Is it worth all that time? If you don't attend, come Fall are you left in the tracks of those that did? I can't go either way but I wanna know what that's gonna mean for me in the Fall. . .

Yea, the only way I would be able to go is if I could attend the last three weeks of the program. I will be out of town the first two weeks.

I got my invitation to PREP yesterday in the mail. Did any of you 1st & 2nd years attend? Is it worth all that time? If you don't attend, come Fall are you left in the tracks of those that did? I can't go either way but I wanna know what that's gonna mean for me in the Fall. . .

I went I really enjoyed it, myself. I think more than anything it helps people get accustomed to the school, their peers, and some surface idea of the material. I felt it was worth it for me, personally. I got a lot out of it. However, not going will not put you at a disadvantage. You'll be less familiar with some stuff, like process of pbl, lab, etc, but as far as material goes, you will not be disadvantaged. The most help academically, last year, for PREP was the anatomy portion. As far as if the lab will be available for PREP this year, I don't know. That'd be something to ask Dr. Lisa Cain.

Hey guys- Im a UTMB 2012 student. I was just procrastinating and decided to check our yalls thread. I just wanted to respond to Daniels comment on Prep. I did it and if you have the time I would definately suggest it. But- remember this is really going to be your last free summer (the summer after 1st year is technically free but they strongly encourage you to get elective credit out of the way). So- if you have any hesitance about it- dont do it- you will not be that far behind. I wasnt invited but I just email Melisa Van Pelt (although Im not quite sure if she still around after all the RIFTing) and she invited me a month or so later. If anyone has any specific questions for me feel free to email me at [email protected] (i have unique experience on living off the island and bringing a sig other with me)

I agree with Daniel and Ms Hess....prematric is like a long orientation. It's a good chance to get everything squared away/kinks worked out/moved in/ooooooh, so that's how med school works, etc, but it's not that big of a deal otherwise. I went because they paid me:D. They did forget to mention that you do end up looking like a total pimp knowing where everything is when your new clueless classmates show up in the fall. And you do get to know a small part of your class pretty well, in fact the class Pres for the last two years (only ones I know about) were prematric'ers.