***Official UTMB-Galveston Class of 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol, they wanted you there that badly, Kudu.

I'm still iffy as to whether or not I want to go to PREP. I'm really interested in it, but the timing bugs me just a wee bit. Who knows... it might not be all that bad. Is there typically any time frame as to how long they'll wait for us to confirm our spots?

Oh, by the way Ojos, in case you're still wondering: I talked to Ms. Lipsmeyer, and she told me that they're going to be sending a "thick mailout to [us] in early March with several forms to sign and return".

I'm guessing we'll all be getting an update on orientation dates and things of the sort.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still iffy as to whether or not I want to go to PREP. I'm really interested in it, but the timing bugs me just a wee bit. Who knows... it might not be all that bad. Is there typically any time frame as to how long they'll wait for us to confirm our spots?

Oh, by the way Ojos, in case you're still wondering: I talked to Ms. Lipsmeyer, and she told me that they're going to be sending a "thick mailout to [us] in early March with several forms to sign and return".

I'm guessing we'll all be getting an update on orientation dates and things of the sort.

Last year, all the prematric spots weren't filled, so I don't think there is really a time frame for confirmation. I think people canceled last minute. As for timing, I graduated on a Saturday, moved into my house on Sunday, and started PREP on Monday, so I know the feeling. You will still have a pretty lengthy summer. I was able to travel after PREP.

After talking to some family, I think I just might go ahead with it. I'm going to go ahead and give myself a few weeks to mull it over, but I'm definitely leaning toward it.

Two months is still a pretty darn length summer. Still gives me time for my "road trip", haha.

If I may ask, what exactly is the material like?

"[P]review of Gross Anatomy and Radiology, Molecules, Cells and Tissues, Histology, an introduction to medical Spanish, Pathobiology, Neuroscience and Human Behavior. In addition, there will be workshops to teach study skills, test-taking skills, time management, and computer assisted learning-skills."

Lol, what hellish schedule do they have planned for us to cram that in to five weeks? I can't imagine it being any more than a very, very general overview of the materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
After talking to some family, I think I just might go ahead with it. I'm going to go ahead and give myself a few weeks to mull it over, but I'm definitely leaning toward it.

Two months is still a pretty darn length summer. Still gives me time for my "road trip", haha.

"[P]review of Gross Anatomy and Radiology, Molecules, Cells and Tissues, Histology, an introduction to medical Spanish, Pathobiology, Neuroscience and Human Behavior. In addition, there will be workshops to teach study skills, test-taking skills, time management, and computer assisted learning-skills."

Lol, what hellish schedule do they have planned for us to cram that in to five weeks? I can't imagine it being any more than a very, very general overview of the materials.

Your imagination is right. Its pretty basic stuff. The most comprehensive is probably anatomy, you will have about 2 and a half weeks up on the rest of the class. For PHD, you get intro to bacteria, viruses, parasites, etc, where as you will have a few for each topic.

Maybe it has been answered, but when is the beginning date for PREP? If I don't get an invitation, I'll do as others have suggested and email Ms. Lipsmeyer; I would really like to attend.

Well, of course.

They opened up the program that year to everyone...I guess they weren't getting many bites. I emailed them and told them I'd like to go but couldn't see how I could make the $$ work. Five mintues later they emailed back, "If we give you the last $1500 scholarship, will you come?" I quit my job the next day;).

For mine it was kinda 8-4ish on avg each day. You have midterms and finals, pbl sessions, workshops, tutoring groups, etc. GAR is heavily weighted since it's the first course. We did almost exactly half of all the dissections of the real course. In fact, they try to put a prematric'er in each tank group in the fall.

Maybe it has been answered, but when is the beginning date for PREP? If I don't get an invitation, I'll do as others have suggested and email Ms. Lipsmeyer; I would really like to attend.

Dr Cain is in charge of the program, iirc. And why wait till after not getting an invite? Email her and show interest now if you really want to [email protected]. She's very nice.

What is this PREP? Why do they only offer it some and not others?

I did PREP last year and I would HIGHLY suggest it for any of the new first-years. If nothing else, it took a HUGE burden/stress off of the first part of the school year because you were already settled on the island and had taken the time to adjust and gotten to know our way around. When everyone else was living out of boxes/trying to move into their places for the first couple weeks of school, we were able to focus on GAR and could have fun in our free time. :D

The schedule for PREP sounds awful, and it was... but most of us spent little time out of class studying apart from the weeks with exams. We had a GREAT time doing other things. ;)

What is this PREP? Why do they only offer it some and not others?
The Pre-Matriculation Reinforcement Enrichment Program (PREP) is a program for students that have been offered admission to medical school at UTMB. It is an outstanding pre-entry preparatory program that is offered by invitation to students from educationally, economically, or geographically disadvantaged backgrounds. The intent of this program is to provide a smooth transition from the undergraduate curriculum to the rigorous and demanding expectations of the medical school curriculum.

This six-week program gives a realistic preview of selected courses in the first-year medical school curriculum. These classes are taught by medical school faculty, and the demands of the course, including the pace and the examinations, mirror that of courses during the academic year. PREP provides the opportunity to make the academic, psychological, emotional, and physical adjustment necessary to adapt to the demands of medical school curriculum.

Start: Monday, May 18, 2009, 9:00 a.m.
End: Friday, June 26, 2009, 5:00 p.m.

:D

... the weeks with exams. We had a GREAT time doing other things. ;)

Oh! So there are examinations? Do they "count" as far as the rest of your medical education goes? Actually that's a good question: I'm assuming UTMB does some sort of GPA calculation so a student has some sort of number to jot down when filling out residency applications. How does it work at the SoM?

On a side note... I get the feeling "other things" involves some sort of hearty partying, haha. I'm really excited to meet everyone else. :)

Oh! So there are examinations? Do they "count" as far as the rest of your medical education goes? Actually that's a good question: I'm assuming UTMB does some sort of GPA calculation so a student has some sort of number to jot down when filling out residency applications. How does it work at the SoM?

On a side note... I get the feeling "other things" involves some sort of hearty partying, haha. I'm really excited to meet everyone else. :)

No they don't count. U don't really have a GPA. They record the number of H's, HP's, and P's and at the end of your time at UTMB a general percentile to give to residencies. That's about it. Other than for AOA, grades in the first 2 years are kinda meaningless.

I didn't get an invite (I thought I would) but I'm also considering going to PREP. How much does it cost? And I heard UTMB offers temp housing for it in case we don't have our permanent housing yet right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get an invite (I thought I would) but I'm also considering going to PREP. How much does it cost? And I heard UTMB offers temp housing for it in case we don't have our permanent housing yet right?
According to the letter:

"The courses for the PREP program are offered at no cost, but participants will be responsible for covering their own expenses. The approximate cost for books and a dissecting kit, which are items that will be used in the fall, is $500. [insert stuff about free use of the fieldhouse, etc.]

All participants are responsible for arranging their own housing for the program."

So, $500 plus housing? Hope that helps, bud.

According to the letter:

"The courses for the PREP program are offered at no cost, but participants will be responsible for covering their own expenses. The approximate cost for books and a dissecting kit, which are items that will be used in the fall, is $500. [insert stuff about free use of the fieldhouse, etc.]

All participants are responsible for arranging their own housing for the program."

So, $500 plus housing? Hope that helps, bud.

Also remember, most of these books you will be using in the fall/spring, if you are a book user (most definitely buy Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy and a Netter's or other atlas)

Hey everyone! I am also going to be a member of the class of 2013 :) I graduated early and I am basically just working and saving up this semester. Is there anything as far as prepping that I should also be doing? Any books that I should go ahead and buy to start brushing up things? Or any websites that I should be looking at in advance?

Also as a side note, some on e-mailed me this article today and I found it somewhat informative : http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/02/21/0221utmb.html

Thanks for the article. If you have time, also check out the streaming video of the meeting; it was recently posted at utmb.edu.

Hey everyone! I am also going to be a member of the class of 2013 :) I graduated early and I am basically just working and saving up this semester. Is there anything as far as prepping that I should also be doing? Any books that I should go ahead and buy to start brushing up things? Or any websites that I should be looking at in advance?

Also as a side note, some on e-mailed me this article today and I found it somewhat informative : http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/02/21/0221utmb.html

My suggestion is RELAX. Don't worry about brushing up on anything. Enjoy your reward of a break. Also, expect some news soon about UTMB, I can't go into details, but its good.

My suggestion is RELAX. Don't worry about brushing up on anything. Enjoy your reward of a break. Also, expect some news soon about UTMB, I can't go into details, but its good.

A hint. Something? Pretty please? :D

When and where should we hear it?

When and where should we hear it?

W/in the next couple weeks, I think, the school should make an official statement. Let's just say the appropriate funding for some endeavors have been acquired. However, I don't know all the specifics so I don't want to go starting rumors.

Hey guys.. so... what's the situation with housing? Where do most UTMB students live and what's the average monthly rent? I will be visiting Galveston next week but I want to look around for apartments so I'd like to know what corrent students think.. anyone?

lol...guess we'll have to wait for the official press release...

Off island "endeavors" have also been secured for a certain ex-Baylor hospital. Papers are signed and waiting on an announcement... will begin for clinical rotations in June.

Also wanted to add that emergency is opening up in June... with that there will be a needed increase in inpatient beds in John Sealy.
We're coming back... slowly but surely

So what did some of you MS2's and MS3's do between years 1 & 2? MS1's, what are you planning on doing?

So what did some of you MS2's and MS3's do between years 1 & 2? MS1's, what are you planning on doing?

I'm none of the above, but I'll contribute anyway:). You can do 8 wks of research, 1 or 2 month-long preceptorships that count towards your electives(some of which are paid, and some are international), or you can get some vacation. I believe those are the main choices.

I'm an MSI and I'm staying here and doing a clinical preceptorship :)

Any indication when the waitlist will start moving?

I'm an MS1 and I'm going to do research here at UTMB.

How did you go about choosing what research you wanted to do and with whom? Are they usually open to letting students come tour their labs? I've seen lists of researchers and a one or two word phrase about what they are doing on the UTMB current students website, but that doesn't tell you much. . .

How did you go about choosing what research you wanted to do and with whom? Are they usually open to letting students come tour their labs? I've seen lists of researchers and a one or two word phrase about what they are doing on the UTMB current students website, but that doesn't tell you much. . .

I did 8 weeks of clinical/basic research between year 1 and 2. They put on a couple of class meetings where they go over what you can do and give you some handouts of what is going on. They keep a big research notebook and you are free to go through that and search for things that interest you. A lot of people went that route... or you can just start contacting people. Most people my class chose not to do basic research - but the ones who did typically went through the summer research program that they have set up. I was interested in neonatology so I just contacted one of the neonatologists and asked if he had anything going on. I actually started working with him long before summer so that I could get a feel for what he was doing and get some more time under my belt.

i had a few questions. please help.

a while ago i went down to look at housing. i found that the apts around utmb are kind of sketchy. i am concerned for safety/security because i am a female that will be living by myself. the apts on the west end, near the grocery stores and walmart seemed a lot nicer i.e. gated etc.

do students live in these apts? i didnt want to feel isolated on teh other end of the island.

also- i am a big city person and am a little anxious about living in galveston. what do students do for fun? do they ever go to houston for city experiences?

Is there info out there about 2009-2010 tuition? Any indication that it is going to have a significant increase in order to help pay for Ike damage?

Is there info out there about 2009-2010 tuition? Any indication that it is going to have a significant increase in order to help pay for Ike damage?
The tuition and fees amounts were listed on one of the papers in the packet we received last week. I think according to the website the tuition is the same this year.

UTMB hospital to remain on Galveston Island

By MATT STILES Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

March 10, 2009, 2:50PM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6303187.html

By MATT STILES Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

March 10, 2009, 2:50PM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6303187.html

So was this the big endeavor that a previous poster mentioned? I sure hope not. Personally I think this is actually a bad thing.

So was this the big endeavor that a previous poster mentioned? I sure hope not. Personally I think this is actually a bad thing.

This is not quite it. There was some more details that I had heard of including some secured funding, but again like I prefaced before it was purely rumor, which is why i didn't want to mention details.

Well whatever the decision may be, it is good to see that significant progress is being made in restoring UTMB to its full potential. It is good to see, however that a major medical institution is focused on treating all types of patients and being a top notch teaching institution instead of being simply a for-profit company.

To me this is very good news. They can make the repairs to John Sealy faster than they could build a whole new hospital inland. Plus I didn't want to have to leave Galveston to do rotations at any point.

To me this is very good news. They can make the repairs to John Sealy faster than they could build a whole new hospital inland. Plus I didn't want to have to leave Galveston to do rotations at any point.

Looks like they might go ahead with that new surgical tower they were planning before the hurricane. Doubt it'll be open in time to affect you guys though. They also had a another new research building in the works. I'd be surprised if they don't go ahead with that too now.

Delivering some of the most promising economic news to the island since Hurricane Ike, The University of Texas System Board of Regents agreed Tuesday to work to restore the storm-damaged John Sealy Hospital, a trauma center and also build a new surgical tower on the island campus.

The projects, which would bring 528 hospital beds to the island, depend on many uncertain variables, however.

UT System officials would support a 214-bed surgical tower at the site of the former Jennie Sealy Hospital on condition that local governments come up with a reliable local funding source such as a hospital district, in which island or all county residents would be taxed.

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=fce5a9f2c99bfaf1

:thumbup:

i had a few questions. please help.

a while ago i went down to look at housing. i found that the apts around utmb are kind of sketchy. i am concerned for safety/security because i am a female that will be living by myself. the apts on the west end, near the grocery stores and walmart seemed a lot nicer i.e. gated etc.

do students live in these apts? i didnt want to feel isolated on teh other end of the island.

also- i am a big city person and am a little anxious about living in galveston. what do students do for fun? do they ever go to houston for city experiences?

Quite a few students live at the apartments over by Walmart. However I do remember one of the buildings being run over by roaches (pre-Ike). A lot of people live off island, as well.
People go to Houston all the time - Austin, too.

Virtually every UTMB student will have to leave Galveston to do rotations - this was the setup before Ike. Family Medicine has been a "state wide" rotation for years. Because there are even less spots in Galveston to do this rotation, even more people will have to leave to do that particular rotation. Pediatrics is also off island - but typically within 1 hour driving distance. They have things split up into commutable and non-commutable sites. In order to get a commutable site (within the 1hr driving time) you supposedly have to have a good reason - I was told that having a 4 month old infant will let me stay in town. She mentioned having to feed your cat is not a good enough reason. :)

Hey Guys, I'm a fourth year at UTMB and just wanted to add my input about a few things

1. prematric - prep. If you don't get offered prep, don't worry too much. I did not do prep and I did fine with classes. Most of the class does not do prep and you will learn the material just as well. Take the summer to do other stuff because when it starts, it starts. if you feel anxious, then do it.

2. between 1st and 2nd year think wisely about what to do with the two months but you have a lot of time to decide. i wanted to keep my options open for a competitive residency so i set up a two month clinical research rotation at the NIH in Washington D.C. and UTMB gave me research credit. there are also a ton of research opportunities at UTMB from basic science to clinical trials.

3. i've lived on all parts of the island. the west end is nicer but is a pain in the butt to go back and forth especially if you forget one little thing. i currently live at the condos (port aux prince) near the yacht club near utmb and love it. Its in a place called fish village and i'm surrounded by families, med students, retired folk. i have also lived at Casa Caribe on ferry st. It looks shady on the outside but was nice inside and I felt totally safe there. lot of nice families live there. utmb police provides a service where they pick you up at a utmb location and drops you off at your door if you live within six blocks of the campus so at night it is a really nice thing they do.

If you were talking about something I said about UTMB doing some off island stuff - no this is not and has nothing to do with it. Its a contract between UTMB SOM and St. Luke's in Houston to have students rotate through St. Luke's as a UTMB home site during third year clinicals. Its final now and not rumor so it can be discussed.
Third years now have the option of having their home site in Galveston, Austin, or Houston. You can also choose to do only certain rotations at any of these sites - or others if you choose.

They have things split up into commutable and non-commutable sites. In order to get a commutable site (within the 1hr driving time) you supposedly have to have a good reason - I was told that having a 4 month old infant will let me stay in town.
Interesting they didn't tell us about that at the interview day. So if we buy a house then we are supposed to also rent an apartment during these non-commutable rotations? I'm not sure how many people can afford to be paying for two living arrangements.

Last edited:
Interesting they didn't tell us about that at the interview day. So if we buy a house then we are supposed to also rent an apartment during these non-commutable rotations? I'm not sure how many people can afford to be paying for two living arrangements.

this is only for two rotations really - family (one month) and pediatrics (3 weeks). if you do either in Austin, housing is provided. I did family medicine in my small home town and stayed with my parents. If you have family and friends in texas, you will have no problem. If you don't have anyone to stay with in texas, just talk to the administration. they also provide sites with housing for free. for most people in my class it worked out fine. you can also create a sites if you do this in proper time.