Oh look, he needs help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frunkey

Fool
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been using SDN for a while now and have used the advice from the forums to make myself as complete a pre-medical student as possible. Now comes the hard part...getting in. Let me break it down for you:

Illinois resident

Taking the MCAT on July 10, been scoring a consistent 31 on the AAMC practice tests.

3.33 cGPA :thumbdown: from a top 20 university, about the same sGPA.

Chemistry major and Spanish minor.

Fluent in Spanish (not hispanic or URM, but not white...)

2 years of chemotherapy research synthesizing and characterizing novel chemotherapy agents

One year and one summer of clinical experience (~10 hrs/wk) working with patients and translating.

Experience with a hospice nurse (she taught me how to care for my dying grandfather...why I chose chemotherapy research)

Various shadowing experiences

Assorted EC's including improv comedy, study abroad, guitar, bands, plays, musicals, leadership, scholars programs, etc.

Any advice on my chances? I am very open to all options..I even think DO is more my style than MD. Any Illinois-specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

you ahve a good chance at DO schools, and a pretty darn good chance at MD schools.

Your GPA, as you probably know, will probably be your weak point. Avg MCAT, and good activities.

I'd apply broadly, if you think DO will suit you better, definitely go for that. You might want to add a few MD schools unless your 100% sure you want DO. Choose your geographic location of choice, and pick some schools from that area =)

you ahve a good chance at DO schools, and a pretty darn good chance at MD schools.

Your GPA, as you probably know, will probably be your weak point. Avg MCAT, and good activities.

I'd apply broadly, if you think DO will suit you better, definitely go for that. You might want to add a few MD schools unless your 100% sure you want DO. Choose your geographic location of choice, and pick some schools from that area =)
The research sounds good. Also remember average GPAs are just central tendencies, not cutoffs.

Good luck!