WAMC | School List Help | 527 MCAT/3.97 GPA, ORM OH

Started by duckyt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

duckyt

MD Applicant 26-27 Cycle
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I just got my MCAT score on Tuesday and submitted my primary this morning. I am looking to build my school list so I can pre-write and submit secondaries as soon as my application gets verified in early August.

Cycle: 2026-2027, for 2027 entering class (applying MD)

cGPA / sGPA: cGPA ~3.97 / sGPA ~3.96 (self calculated; mostly straight As in college with one B in upper-level math, & one B+ from HS dual enrollment, also math)

MCAT: 527 (132/131/132/132), only attempt

State of residence: OH (attended college here as well)

Ethnicity/race: South Asian, ORM; non-disadvantaged; child of physicians

Undergrad: Private university (T50-ish), dual degree: B.A. Mathematics + B.S. Neuroscience

Clinical experience:
  • Hospice volunteer — 300 hrs (mostly eating/walking/companionship)
  • Dental X-ray station lead at free pop-up clinics (Remote Area Medical) — 330 hrs across 11 clinics/5 states; patient-facing

Research & productivity:
  • AI medical-imaging lab (segmentation models for MRI; pediatric tumor capstone) — 650 hrs, continuing full-time during gap year (~1,600 hrs anticipated); senior capstone, undergraduate symposium poster at my college, continuing work for gap year
  • Cancer immunotherapy lab - 475 hrs; abstract + symposium poster
  • Independent redlining/health-equity research - 100 hrs; Presented as conference oral presentation + workshop
  • No pubs/national conferences
  • Selected for research programs with stipends for my first two summers in college, listed under Honors section on AMCAS
Shadowing:
79 hours physician shadowing - primary care (major hospital & free clinic settings), pediatrics, internal medicine, stroke neurology, pediatric epilepsy.
14 hours clinical shadowing PhDs, pediatric neuropsychology testing

Non-clinical volunteering:
  • President, university Remote Area Medical chapter — 1,075 hrs; organized city's first RAM clinic (517 patients, ~$297K free care, $34K raised, 200+ volunteers; 200+ tooth extractions provided, 300+ prescription glasses, 100+ medical exams, etc.) [Listed under Leadership on AMCAS, not Nonclinical volunteering]
  • Student leader of program assisting & mentoring children at an under-resourced elementary school - 200 hrs / 7 semesters
  • Homeless shelter admin volunteer — 70 hrs

Other ECs / leadership / teaching:
  • Science instructor, nonprofit summer program — 300 hrs / 5 summers
  • VP on board of umbrella organization (think student government, but for cultural/diversity focused clubs); student advocate in faculty decisions & with university administration - 100 hr / 2 years
  • Art (lifelong hobby)

Honors/awards: Summa Cum Laude (top 10%); summer research internship ($6K stipend); cancer research program ($4.5K); selected as 1 of 2 university reps to AAAS science-advocacy workshop (DC); Outstanding Student Org of the Year at college leadership awards for university's Remote Area Medical chapter (president); some other awards associated with other ECs

Letters: Composite letter packet; expect most letters to be good as my teachers knew me pretty well

Writing: I think my writing was good--- could have been better, but I think the care and effort put into the application is clear.

School list: Right now, I've added all the Ohio medical schools, except NEOMED, which I was advised to leave out due to possible yield protection (if anyone could confirm, that would be helpful!). I am going to add free-tuition schools, some dream schools, and other suggestions from @Mr.Smile12, like JHU, NYU, Einstein, WashU, USF, UVA, Yale, and Harvard. However, I need guidance on more mid-tier schools that would fit my profile.

Concerns/Questions: I am looking for school suggestions based on my profile. I know my clinical experience could be better and I do not have pubs, so I do not want to apply too top-heavy. I am looking for more mid-tier schools that would like my 3.9/527 stat combo and my work with underserved populations through RAM and organizing the first RAM clinic in my city. Schools with a strong focus on urban community health & established student-run clinics would be the places I would want to attend. I am planning to apply to 25-35 schools.

Thank you so much for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you! Tagging @Faha @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @LizzyM ; any time you may have is greatly appreciated :^)
 
Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
NEOMED
Toledo
Wright State
U Michigan
Northwestern
Washington University (almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Vanderbilt
Mayo
UCSF
Emory
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
U Virginia
Georgetown
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein (free tuition)
Mount Sinai
NYU (free tuition)
Columbia
Cornell
Rochester
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations! I think it's worth saying that an MD-PhD program, if you have any interest, would probably fit your profile more narratively. But only if you see yourself doing something like that.
 
I don't expect the mid-tiers to give you any love because they are pretty sure they'll lose out to one of their richer/more prestigious neighbors (would you attend Netter if you were also admitted to Yale? Saint Louis U over WashU? SLU and Netter doubt that you would.) You are in the top 1% in terms of stats and you have all the extras most schools would be looking for so shoot your shot and come back next spring and let us know how you did.
 
@Faha @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @LizzyM

Hi all! Thank you for your feedback, I truly appreciated it. 🙂 Unfortunately, AMCAS verification ran late (as they do every year), so my early-August estimate based on last cycle was off--- I was only verified 8/18. I got in 20 secondaries by end of August and 30 before Labor Day, but the delayed timeline may be a problem, especially with more applicants applying early this year.

Since there's nothing I can do now, I was wondering if there are any gaps in my application to work on in case of a reapp. (I know it's too early to panic, I just want to focus on something tangible so my silly worries can at least be productive 🙂). I am currently working on research, since I know lack of pubs may matter at some schools, but if there are any other suggestions, please let me know. I will be doing shadowing + shelter volunteering during my gap, and am continuing as a grad advisor for the RAM clinic to add additional cancer screenings + audiology services. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
@Faha @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @LizzyM

Hi all! Thank you for your feedback, I truly appreciated it. 🙂 Unfortunately, AMCAS verification ran late (as they do every year), so my early-August estimate based on last cycle was off--- I was only verified 8/18. I got in 20 secondaries by end of August and 30 before Labor Day, but the delayed timeline may be a problem, especially with more applicants applying early this year.

Since there's nothing I can do now, I was wondering if there are any gaps in my application to work on in case of a reapp. (I know it's too early to panic, I just want to focus on something tangible so my silly worries can at least be productive 🙂). I am currently working on research, since I know lack of pubs may matter at some schools, but if there are any other suggestions, please let me know. I will be doing shadowing + shelter volunteering during my gap, and am continuing as a grad advisor for the RAM clinic to add additional cancer screenings + audiology services. Thanks!
You should always be involved in clinical exposure (maybe a little more hospital, but continue others) and non-clinical community service (RAMUSA). Research is not the most important aspect to improve unless you secure a full-time job. If you were focused on the lack of publications, you should have joined a research lab in this application cycle and take your year to work on it. As it stands you will likely have to wait to join a lab in the winter or summer, pending research funding. Again, it was pointed out that your research profile could suggest your interest in MD/PhD, and if you wanted more research, you would be adding to that suggestion.

I would not give up too soon on getting interviews. If you couldn't land one with your metrics, other parts of your application need attention.
 
Last edited:
You should always be involved in clinical exposure (maybe a little more hospital, but continue others) and non-clinical community service (RAMUSA). Research is not the most important aspect to improve unless you secure a full-time job. If you were focused on the lack of publications, you should have joined a research lab in this application cycle and take your year to work on it. As it stands you will likely have to wait to join a lab in the winter or summer, pending research funding. Again, it was pointed out that your research profile could suggest your interest in MD/PhD, and if you wanted more research, you would be adding to that suggestion.
To clarify, I am already in a full-time research position for this app cycle, working for my lab from college 🙂 I just wanted to ask if there were any other "gaps" in my application that I haven't noticed, or if I can just continue my shadowing/RAMUSA service/shelter work.

I see your point regarding more clinical exposure in the hospital; I will look for opportunities to get back into hospital volunteering!

I would not give up too soon on getting interviews. If you couldn't land one with your metrics, other parts of your application need attention.
I am not concerned about interviews just yet since I only became complete at schools within the last 2.5 weeks, so I know the turnaround time might be awhile. I think the late app + top-heavy list is just an inherently uneasy place to be, even with good metrics (the MCAT number means very little if I can't convert it into an acceptance number, after all 🤣).

I definitely would have preferred to be complete earlier, but I can only focus on what I can control now (in this case, making a possible reapp as strong as I can).

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it!
 
I'm just back from vacation in a land of dairy cows. Cream rises to the top. Same with med admissions. With electronic applications, it is easy to sort by metrics important to a specific school and target those applicants for additional review, regardless of their date of arrival. You are going to be fine. Come back to this thread in May and let us (and future applicants) how things worked out.
 
I'm just back from vacation in a land of dairy cows. Cream rises to the top. Same with med admissions. With electronic applications, it is easy to sort by metrics important to a specific school and target those applicants for additional review, regardless of their date of arrival. You are going to be fine. Come back to this thread in May and let us (and future applicants) how things worked out.
Thank you so much for the response, this was very reassuring. Will do!
 
Also, where did your parents go to medical school or residency?
Both went to medical school in India (we are immigrants, but I have been a US citizen since early high school). Both parents matched as IMGs to Cleveland Clinic for residency + fellowship. My father and mother have associate professor ties to CCLCM and CWRU respectively.

Edit: No idea what magic was worked there, but just got my first II this morning for CWRU Med. Very grateful 😀
 
Last edited: