Ohio LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Random question for ya'll.

Ohio (and some other schools, I believe) requires two letters from veterinarians. Would this requirement be fulfilled by one veterinarian and one PhD with whom I am doing research (and counting as veterinary experience)? Or do they strictly mean two DVMs (or VMDs, what have you)?

Members don't see this ad.

Random question for ya'll.

Ohio (and some other schools, I believe) requires two letters from veterinarians. Would this requirement be fulfilled by one veterinarian and one PhD with whom I am doing research (and counting as veterinary experience)? Or do they strictly mean two DVMs (or VMDs, what have you)?

strictly 2 DVMs I'm pretty sure

Edit: found on their website: "Must be a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)"

though they maaaaaay let a VMD slide. hehe, j/k.

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2547.htm

Last edited:
Hmm, this would probably a good thing to check with them, seeing as how you consider the research you are doing with him/her to be veterinary experience. I thought veterinary experience could only be counted as those done under the supervision of a veterinarian? Does he/she have a dual degree or only a PhD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, this would probably a good thing to check with them, seeing as how you consider the research you are doing with him/her to be veterinary experience. I thought veterinary experience could only be counted as those done under the supervision of a veterinarian? Does he/she have a dual degree or only a PhD?

VMCAS says you can list any research supervised by a health professional (PhD, DVM, MD) that involves animals as vet experience. Each school you apply to may or may not count your particular research as vet experience, and move it to animal experience though.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, but one can hope ;)

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, but one can hope ;)

Does the vet you're getting your vet LOR have a partner or two that you might be able to become friends with? Worst comes the worst, you can always just get two LORs from 2 vets from the same clinic. I had a spay/neuter vet and the vet chief of staff from the same shelter write me my 2 letters, and OSU really didn't seem to care.

The one clinic I'm at right now has 6 vets, but I'm really only close to 1 so far (only been there ~80 hours). That is definitely subject to change, though. This semester's been so rough for me :( I'm heading back in after finals, so I'll see what I can do about buddy-buddying up with another vet.

The one clinic I'm at right now has 6 vets, but I'm really only close to 1 so far (only been there ~80 hours). That is definitely subject to change, though. This semester's been so rough for me :( I'm heading back in after finals, so I'll see what I can do about buddy-buddying up with another vet.

That sounds good! It would be even better if you could buddy-buddy up with someone who sees exotics or something like that or does something kinda special. 'Cause that not only gives you an excuse to ask your current buddy vet to introduce you to the other vet, and it gives you reason for asking 2 vets at the same clinic, even if you won't have too many hours from there.

cookies could help too.

Keep in mind that while they do require two letters from DVMs, that doesn't mean they have to be employers. One of my DVM letters was from one of the vets at the clinic I worked at, but the other was from my academic advisor, who is a DVM.

That sounds good! It would be even better if you could buddy-buddy up with someone who sees exotics or something like that or does something kinda special. 'Cause that not only gives you an excuse to ask your current buddy vet to introduce you to the other vet, and it gives you reason for asking 2 vets at the same clinic, even if you won't have too many hours from there.

cookies could help too.

Oh trust me, I've been bringing in sooo much food! They're a very food-oriented practice ;) No clients? No emergencies? Okay, food!