Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for Ohio State, dont worry about LORs getting in on time, i just got an interview, and i didnt send in my LORs yet, to any school 😳 . mine is on the 30th of sept. hope to see some of you there!!
 
wends said:
for Ohio State, dont worry about LORs getting in on time, i just got an interview, and i didnt send in my LORs yet, to any school 😳 . mine is on the 30th of sept. hope to see some of you there!!

Congrats Wends! Mine is also on September 30th... I'm out of state so I hope I don't get the question... "Why Ohio?" =P :laugh:
 
wends said:
for Ohio State, dont worry about LORs getting in on time, i just got an interview, and i didnt send in my LORs yet, to any school 😳 . mine is on the 30th of sept. hope to see some of you there!!
Cool. When were you complete there, if I might ask? (I'm OOS). Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An Yong said:
Congrats Wends! Mine is also on September 30th... I'm out of state so I hope I don't get the question... "Why Ohio?" =P :laugh:


awesome! hey do you know if they can set us up with a student to stay with? or do we have to make it out on our own?
 
EvoDevo said:
Cool. When were you complete there, if I might ask? (I'm OOS). Thanks!


thanks evo, i was complete july 19th! hey arent you already in med school? 😕
 
wends said:
thanks evo, i was complete july 19th! hey arent you already in med school? 😕
Nope. Got an early acceptance to one school (DMU) for the c/o 2005. 😱 I know, random story. But since I rec'd the acceptance about a week after I was complete with AMCAS, I'm going ahead to see what happens. 🙂

Cool. Sounds like about a month lag between completion and interview invite. I was complete 8/12, so I shouldn't hear anything until next month. Thanks for the info, wends. And congrats. 🙂
 
wends said:
for Ohio State, dont worry about LORs getting in on time, i just got an interview, and i didnt send in my LORs yet, to any school 😳 . mine is on the 30th of sept. hope to see some of you there!!

Hey wends,

How'd you find out about your interview? My LORs haven't been sent yet and my status page was already updated to: "Your AMCAS and secondary applications have been received and your materials are being reviewed." I haven't even sent my LORs!!! The statust page was dated for today (August 23).

I hope I still get an interview!!! I'm really worried because you got the interview already. 😱 It's possible that they just started reviewing my application. I was done with the online app on July 15.

I hope I get an interview :scared:

Jason
 
wends said:
awesome! hey do you know if they can set us up with a student to stay with? or do we have to make it out on our own?


Woops, mine is actually Sep 20 not 30 😀

If you go to the status check site, they have a link that directs you to a letter:


TIME: If your interview date is September 13 through November 3, arrive by 10:30 a.m. If your interview date is November 8 through March 16, arrive by 9:30 a.m.

WHERE: 155E Meiling Hall, 370 West Ninth Avenue, Columbus, Ohio

The morning program will include an orientation covering our curriculum, financial aid opportunities, a faculty guest speaker and current medical student. This will be followed by a luncheon with medical students who will answer questions and conduct a tour of the college and health center facilities. Finally, you will have an interview with a member(s) of the admissions committee.

If you are making travel arrangements, plan to spend about five hours with us. The latest interview should end no later than 4:00 p.m. Also, please bring with you a small, wallet-sized photograph.

Due to Medical Center construction, please visit www.osumedcenter.edu for an updated map, driving directions, and parking information.

If you need a place to stay when you come for your interview, contact the Student Host Program Coordinators at [email protected]. Provide your name, phone number with area code, date of interview and night(s) you need accommodations.

The Cross Country Inn South (800-621-1429; 614-291-2983; 1445 Olentangy River Road) is located about three blocks from the College of Medicine and Public Health. The Medical Center has a Park ?N Ride service from the hotel that runs from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. They may be reached at 293-8669.

Follow the link on your Status Page to confirm or decline your interview date. If you have any questions or special dietary needs, please contact the College of Medicine and Public Health Office of Medical Student Admissions at 614-292-7137.
 
Jason110 said:
Hey wends,

How'd you find out about your interview? My LORs haven't been sent yet and my status page was already updated to: "Your AMCAS and secondary applications have been received and your materials are being reviewed." I haven't even sent my LORs!!! The statust page was dated for today (August 23).

I hope I still get an interview!!! I'm really worried because you got the interview already. 😱 It's possible that they just started reviewing my application. I was done with the online app on July 15.

I hope I get an interview :scared:

Jason


yeah that was my status last time i checked. they emailed me saying that my status changed and i knew that i either got an interview or got dumped. i didnt send my lors either. ahhaaha, dont worry, yours will come soon! check your email, and the junk folder too
 
Jason110 said:
Hey wends,

How'd you find out about your interview? My LORs haven't been sent yet and my status page was already updated to: "Your AMCAS and secondary applications have been received and your materials are being reviewed." I haven't even sent my LORs!!! The statust page was dated for today (August 23).

I hope I still get an interview!!! I'm really worried because you got the interview already. 😱 It's possible that they just started reviewing my application. I was done with the online app on July 15.

I hope I get an interview :scared:

Jason
The adcom office there told me, when I was enquiring about the receipt of my LORs, that they aren't even looking at your letter when being considered for an interview. Those only come in play on interview day and post-interview consideration.
 
superdevil said:
bumping our thread...

wright state interviews start wednesday! hope to see you there, TripleDegree!

sd


Wright State interviews start Tuesday morning. I'll try and let everyone know what it was like so you'll know what to expect on Wednesday.
 
Wright State interviews are very laid back. They typically have you interview with a physician/or phsychologist/PhD and then a current medical student. The interviews last 30-45 mins and are just conversational. My guy was a retired surgeon and my med student was a 2nd year. They were both very nice and I never got tough questions. One question I know they commonly ask is "Why medical school? Why not become a nurse or social worker?" Just relax and you guys will do fine.
 
Originally Posted by glc549
Wright State interviews start Tuesday morning. I'll try and let everyone know what it was like so you'll know what to expect on Wednesday.
:laugh: :laugh: actually, we're both wrong. i just spoke to my boss in the medical school today (i wasn't working this summer), and he said he started interviewing people last week 😛

but yeah, let us know how it goes, and good luck!

sd
 
hey you guys,

i just have a quick question about LORs and OSU. the secondary application(w/ the 2 essays) is due 30 days after receipt. how about LORs? is it okay if we send them after that?

thanks,
ImmunoRocks
 
superdevil said:
:laugh: :laugh: actually, we're both wrong. i just spoke to my boss in the medical school today (i wasn't working this summer), and he said he started interviewing people last week 😛

but yeah, let us know how it goes, and good luck!

sd

No surprises at Wright State's interview: very laid back, non-stressful and no off-the-wall questions from the interviewers. For the most part, they each delved deeper into my AMCAS application experiences and things I had said in my Personal Statement. Our student hosts for the lunch/tour were very helpful and candid with their answers about what they personally liked or disliked about the school or curriculum or whatever.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ImmunoRocks: if the secodary didn't specify a date to send the letters in, just send them as soon as possible, because osu takes awhile to process them.

glc549: glad to hear everything went well at wsu! i can't wait for tomorrow; i'll actually be able to add something to the interview feedback section of SDN! how nerdishly satisfying that will be! 😀
 
thanks sd!

i was looking all over their website for a due date, but i couldn't find one. i thought my LORs were all done, but apparently one of them was missing a gridform. great huh? hopefully i can get that professor to fill one out by the end of this week.

-ImmunoRocks
 
Hey all--

Just as I was getting bummed from not hearing from OSU yet about an interview, I got 2 interviews in snail mail from Case and MCO! MCO's was mailed on the 24th and Case on the 25th, so everyone else should be hearing soon too!
 
DocMizzle,

i just posted this on the "Interview" thread too, so disregard if you've already read it...

when was your app complete at case? would you mind PMing me your stats/info?

congrats!
 
superdevil said:
DocMizzle,

i just posted this on the "Interview" thread too, so disregard if you've already read it...

when was your app complete at case? would you mind PMing me your stats/info?

congrats!

does anyone know if case asks about misdemeanors on the secondary?
 
coinlockerbaby said:
does anyone know if case asks about misdemeanors on the secondary?

I scrolled through the whole Case online app but didn't see anything about misdemeanors.
 
bumping to see if anyone received any interview news from MCO, Case, or UCincy.

My LORs were sent out on Friday (8/27), so it'll be a few weeks before I get some invites, but I'm still wondering.

Jason
 
been complete at UC and Case on 8/21, 8/27, respectively (case would have been much sooner if not for a LOR fiasco 🙄 ).

hey TripleDegree, were you at wright state on 8/25? i was in the afternoon session, perhaps you were in the morning?

interview at OSU in two weeks! 😱 :scared: i just hope i get some friggin' sleep after my UPitt interview (damnable schedule problems!!!).
 
My app was complete at UC on 8/10 and still no word. I am assuming that no one will hear from them for a couple weeks until all early decision apps are finalized ( I think this happens on Sept. 15th at UC)

As for Case, my app was complete 8/5 and I received an interview via snailmail for 10/1, although the adcom lady told me they were starting interviews in late Sept.
 
ImmunoRocks said:
hey you guys,

i just have a quick question about LORs and OSU. the secondary application(w/ the 2 essays) is due 30 days after receipt. how about LORs? is it okay if we send them after that?

thanks,
ImmunoRocks
Actually, I called the Admissions Office and they said that the 30 days is not a deadline. THey simply reccomend you submit in 30 days because they get a lot of apps, and the earlier you submit the better. They will not revoke your access to the secondary after the 30 days or anything. That being said, waiting 3 months, to turn it in is probably not a good idea either.
 
Received interview invite from MCO today, 9/1, via snail mail. App was complete on 8/25. I'm in-state, 34L, 3.24 in Computer Engineering (1987), 4.0 recent post-bacc courses (Chem,OChem,etc), 3.86 MBA from Ohio State (1999).
 
Since case and OSU moved towards less in state preference (in fact none at all in case), i wonder how it'll affect the admissions process to the other ohio schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
superdevil said:
been complete at UC and Case on 8/21, 8/27, respectively (case would have been much sooner if not for a LOR fiasco 🙄 ).

hey TripleDegree, were you at wright state on 8/25? i was in the afternoon session, perhaps you were in the morning?

interview at OSU in two weeks! 😱 :scared: i just hope i get some friggin' sleep after my UPitt interview (damnable schedule problems!!!).

Yes I was.... interview was just what i expected, the anatomy lab piece was interesting i thought.

seemed to be low stress, and i got the impression that if you did decent at the interview, u would get an offer. i also heard that they would let us know by october - is this what you heard?
 
exmike said:
Since case and OSU moved towards less in state preference (in fact none at all in case), i wonder how it'll affect the admissions process to the other ohio schools.

A Case professor actually told me that since Case gets state funding for the med school there is some degree of preference that must be shown to in-state applicants, but based on their acceptance stats, it's cleary not the 80 or so % the other state schools take from within Ohio.
 
Originally Posted by TripleDegree
seemed to be low stress, and i got the impression that if you did decent at the interview, u would get an offer. i also heard that they would let us know by october - is this what you heard?
i'm ~90% sure wsu starts accepting people on oct 15.

sd
 
I had my LORs sent out on 8/27 (last Friday). Any thoughts on when I will hopefully hear back from my 'favorite' schools in Ohio: Case, CCLCM, UC, OSU, MCO, and WSU? (whew, too many letters)

Jason
 
YAY good luck girl! .... and tell me everything! mine's in 18 days haha 😀

good luck! :luck:
 
Truce57 said:
A Case professor actually told me that since Case gets state funding for the med school there is some degree of preference that must be shown to in-state applicants, but based on their acceptance stats, it's cleary not the 80 or so % the other state schools take from within Ohio.
My society dean told me that Case lobbied successfully to have that state quota eliminated entirely -- while still keeping that state money (how they were able to pull that off I don't know). You can see the result of that change this year because there is a much heavier representation from the Ivies in our class. It was 50/50 Ohio versus non-Ohio residents this year and that ratio will probably decline in the coming years. I suspect that it will become increasingly harder to get into Case in the future. With a new dean, new admissions dean, no quota, affiliation with CCF, etc, Case has a clean slate to work with. I think that Case will aim as high as it can, starting with higher stats to get in. At the white coat ceremony, Dean Horwitz said the average gpa and MCAT were above 3.6 and 11, respectively. I'm glad I got in this year! Good luck to everyone else.
 
wends said:
YAY good luck girl! .... and tell me everything! mine's in 18 days haha 😀

good luck! :luck:

Thanks! Good luck to you, too! 🙂 Since I took summer school, I didn't get to go on vacation ... so I'm going to Ohio a few days before the interview for my vacation. :laugh:
 
how were you notified when your file(s) were done at these Ohio schools? email? phone? snailmail?

CWRU
Wright St
MCO
UCincy
OSU
CCLCM
 
Originally Posted by Jason110
how were you notified when your file(s) were done at these Ohio schools? email? phone? snailmail?
Case: online status page
Wright St: online status page
UC: online status page
OSU: email directing you to online status page
 
How does MCO notify its applicants that their files are complete?
 
Originally Posted by Jason110
How does MCO notify its applicants that their files are complete?
i didn't apply to MCO, but i was talking to a friend at school last night who (i believe) said that they're supposed to email you when your app is complete. he said that he got a snail mail interview invite without ever receiving that email, though.

(i'm ~90% sure this is accurate, the room we were in was very LOUD)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jason110 said:
How does MCO notify its applicants that their files are complete?

Hi there Jason,

This website for the Application Process for MCO contains the following information regarding subsequent completion of the Secondary Application:

"... Students will receive an email notification when their secondary application is complete. The Committee will again review your application for an interview decision. Interviews are by invitation only and generally continue from October through March. If the interview is approved, you will receive an invitation to meet with members of our faculty. ALL APPLICATION MATERIAL MUST BE RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 1, 2005 ..."

Best of luck in your application to MCO. It's an excellent school. Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.

-Salty 👍 :luck:
 
Ohio State's class of 2008 is about 70% in-state, reversing a trend from earlier years that saw more and more out-of-state people being allowed to come. Also, the MCAT average was slightly above 32 and the average GPA was 3.7. This school is rapidly moving up.
 
Garuda said:
... the MCAT average was slightly above 32 and the average GPA was 3.7.

Uh oh... these stats don't look good for me... 🙁 :scared:

Jason