Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some cool things about Ohio State:

1. Independent study pathway. I have always been an awesome self-starter. Give me resources and a list of things to learn, I'll finish pre-clinical stuff in one year instead of two. This allows for research opportunities and maybe taking additional rotations. This is a HUGE draw for me - makes them one of my top choices.

2. There is the opportunity to take an elective THIRD YEAR. If you're undecided about what specialty to choose, or want to get some research in for competitive specialties, you can get a head start.

3. You can do rotations at the Cleveland Clinic - an absolutely top of the line facility.
 
UseUrHeadFred said:
Some cool things about Ohio State:


3. You can do rotations at the Cleveland Clinic - an absolutely top of the line facility.

The OSU-Cleveland Clinic program was to my knowledge terminated when Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Clinic started the Lerner College of Medicine. I'm pretty sure you can still rotate through the Clinic, but not as a formal program like before. Please correct me if i'm wrong
 
How is Ohio State with out-of-state applicants? I submitted my secondary in mid-July and have not heard anything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
camisho said:
How is Ohio State with out-of-state applicants? I submitted my secondary in mid-July and have not heard anything.

They take a decent amount of out-of-state applicants. I was complete in July and have an interview there on Monday. Hang in there!
 
Ohio State Univ. is one of the best public medical schools for out of state applicants to consider, because it does not discriminate much between in-state and out-of-state applicants. Recent years have seen 30-50% of the class come from out of state.

MCO, Wright State, NEOUCOM, and Univ. of Cincinnati are also very good public medical schools for out of state applicants to consider.

And of course there's Case Western, which is private, and does not discriminate at all between in-state and out-of-state applicants.
 
Garuda said:
And of course there's Case Western, which is private, and does not discriminate at all between in-state and out-of-state applicants.

Actually there tends to be some unofficial discrimination at Case. In the past it was very significant, but they've taken steps to reduce it (such as eliminating the unofficial in-state quota). But there is still bias, especially if you're in NE Ohio.
If anybody really wants to go to Case, there are some guaranteed ways to be accepted, so nobody's dreams will be crushed.

As for my status:

I have secondaries sitting on my desk from:

OSU
Wright State
MCO
Neoucom

And I am still waiting to hear from Case! (Even though I'm doing research in a Case lab right now! Jeez!)

BTW, is anybody else trying to stagger their applications? I wanted to turn them in, and hopefully interview, in more or less the order that I would like to attend. My idea is that if I'm going to get into one of my top schools, I'd rather not spend tons of money interviewing at backup schools. (Finding money for app fees and interviews is a major concern here).
 
Has anyone else heard from case? I got invited to interview there, and I scheduled it for 9/24. I was complete on 9/1. At any rate, for those who have interviews at OSU, when were you complete?
 
I was actually invited for an interview before I was complete at OSU (they still need LOR) I had to reschedule my interview unfortunately, but will be on Oct. 11th.

Still haven't received secondaries from Case or Neoucomm.
 
Garuda said:
Ohio State Univ. is one of the best public medical schools for out of state applicants to consider, because it does not discriminate much between in-state and out-of-state applicants. Recent years have seen 30-50% of the class come from out of state.

MCO, Wright State, NEOUCOM, and Univ. of Cincinnati are also very good public medical schools for out of state applicants to consider.

And of course there's Case Western, which is private, and does not discriminate at all between in-state and out-of-state applicants.

other than ohio state, none of the public schools you mention are "very good" or even that favorable for out-of-state applicants... you should do some research before you start shouting praises about all the ohio schools which by the way is the only thing you seem to do in all of your posts.
 
i know for a fact that its quite difficult to get into NEOUCOM or WSU as an out of stater, and its still pretty damn tough at UC or MCO (unless you have 35+ MCAT for MCO).

if i were out of state, i would only apply to OSU and Case. if you apply to the others, you'd have to be an outstanding applicant--and if you were outstanding, why would you want to apply to those schools anyway? the whole debate just doesn't make sense to me.

but yea, if you have the subscription to the USNews data (or even the MSAR) you will find that UC, MCO, NEOUCOM, and WSU are very protective of in-staters.

sd
 
superdevil said:
i know for a fact that its quite difficult to get into NEOUCOM or WSU as an out of stater, and its still pretty damn tough at UC or MCO (unless you have 35+ MCAT for MCO).

if i were out of state, i would only apply to OSU and Case. if you apply to the others, you'd have to be an outstanding applicant--and if you were outstanding, why would you want to apply to those schools anyway? the whole debate just doesn't make sense to me.

but yea, if you have the subscription to the USNews data (or even the MSAR) you will find that UC, MCO, NEOUCOM, and WSU are very protective of in-staters.

sd

it couldn't be said any better. 👍
 
superdevil said:
i know for a fact that its quite difficult to get into NEOUCOM or WSU as an out of stater, and its still pretty damn tough at UC or MCO (unless you have 35+ MCAT for MCO).

if i were out of state, i would only apply to OSU and Case. if you apply to the others, you'd have to be an outstanding applicant--and if you were outstanding, why would you want to apply to those schools anyway? the whole debate just doesn't make sense to me.

but yea, if you have the subscription to the USNews data (or even the MSAR) you will find that UC, MCO, NEOUCOM, and WSU are very protective of in-staters.

sd

I have to add that I did get into MCO out of state quite early. I had that stated MCAT but a GPA well below their average, so I'm not sure how strict they are. Supposedly they have at least 5 from CA every year. I also go into OSU out of state, but my year they started shifting toward less in state preference. Same with Case.

I do have to agree with your reasoning SD about why bother applying to non case/osu if you're "outstanding". However some states such as CA are so hard to get into in state that applicants from those states have to cast a wide net, hence the decent number of CA residents at MCO each year.

I mentioned it before, but its worth throwing out there again. With Case and OSU each moving away from state preference, there could conceiveably be up to 50 or so fewer spots for ohio residents this year compared to two years ago. These residents will either matriculate out of state or be pushed into the MCO/NEUOCOM/WSU/UC pools.

This probably means a few things:

1) Overall, it will be harder for Ohio residents to get into Ohio schools, and I imagine scores and averages will rise across the board at Ohio schools for admission

2) It will be easier for Out of Staters to get into Case and OSU

3) It will be harder for Out of Staters to get into MCO/NEUOCOM/WSU/UC since more of those slots will be taken by in staters pushed out of Case and OSU

4) The opposite effects of #2 and #3 probabaly mean that overall it will be a little easier for non ohio residents to get into ANY ohio school, but not by much compare to before.

Just my theory.
 
Glad to see that there's a ton of fellow-Ohioans making this thread a popular one.

Anyway - my question is - SO WHAT is the deal with Cincy? Are they normally this slow? Could some of our class-of-2008ers share their experiences with the Cincy process?
 
UC is also going to shift to the out of state pool in line with the new University President's plans for the entire school. We are usually about 80% but that has fluctuated quite a bit. There is a large pool of CA students here as well as other states.

It may be taking a bit of time for applicants since President Zimpher asked the Dean to step down and we have a new interem dean, and the new medical school is starting to be built.

If you have any questions in specific go ahead and post them and I'll try to get them answered.

You may also want to just call the admissions office and just ask, they are super nice.
 
Anybody have any info on the MCO turnaround time between when your file was complete and when you received notification?

Jason
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TripleDegree said:
Anyway - my question is - SO WHAT is the deal with Cincy? Are they normally this slow? Could some of our class-of-2008ers share their experiences with the Cincy process?

Friends of mine who got into the Class of 2008 who were at UC for undergrad had to wait FOREVER to hear anything at all regarding an interview and then FOREVER again regarding their admission status. My interpretation is that, yes, they are just that slow.

This whole process has certainly confirmed that patience is a virtue.
 
Jason110 said:
Anybody have any info on the MCO turnaround time between when your file was complete and when you received notification?

Jason

Jason110,

I was complete at MCO on Aug. 25 and received a snailmail packet on Sept. 1 (exactly 1 wk) with the interview invite.
 
glc549 said:
Jason110,

I was complete at MCO on Aug. 25 and received a snailmail packet on Sept. 1 (exactly 1 wk) with the interview invite.

I can also confirm a quick turn around for my application last year. MCO is extremely particular about streamlining the whole application/time consideration factors. They said so during my interview visit last year.

Regarding the out-of-state comments:

I'm from Cali, applied out of state with below average MCAT and GPA, and got in. Not too sure if exmike and I are the Cali-flukes. Also, there are usually more than just 5 Cali matriculants. Past couple of years have been ~11.

Best of luck to all the MCO applicants. It's an excellent school. 👍 :luck:
 
So guys ... how's the weather in Ohio right now? I leave for Columbus on Saturday and am not sure what kinds of clothes to pack since I'll be there for a few days. Sure, I could look online, but it's more fun to ask SDNers!

I'm starting to wonder if I will be with all of the braniacs since I rescheduled for the very first day. If so, I just hope that OSU doesn't have a "limit" of students that they accept per day. (I just love these first-interview jitters. 😉 )
 
UCLAstudent said:
So guys ... how's the weather in Ohio right now? I leave for Columbus on Saturday and am not sure what kinds of clothes to pack since I'll be there for a few days. Sure, I could look online, but it's more fun to ask SDNers!

I'm starting to wonder if I will be with all of the braniacs since I rescheduled for the very first day. If so, I just hope that OSU doesn't have a "limit" of students that they accept per day. (I just love these first-interview jitters. 😉 )
In North West Ohio it is going to be Cool and Rainy for a few days. However, from what I've experienced, the weather man is right -35% of the time. 😉

Also, as for your first interview; Good luck. Don't be afraid to tell them that it is your first interview. Try to be 'your-self' (if you're like me, this is not easy until the 5th interview).
 
UCLAstudent,

i live a shade more than an hour southwest of columbus. lately, the temperatures have been mild (low-mid 70s) and it has been cloudy with frequent, light rain. kind of like england, i suppose.

good luck at your OSU interview! i'll be there on wednesday (9/15). let us know what the parking is like, what with all the construction and all!!!
 
superdevil said:
UCLAstudent,

i live a shade more than an hour southwest of columbus. lately, the temperatures have been mild (low-mid 70s) and it has been cloudy with frequent, light rain. kind of like england, i suppose.

good luck at your OSU interview! i'll be there on wednesday (9/15). let us know what the parking is like, what with all the construction and all!!!

There is now tons of parking right near the med school, they opened up the Visitor Garage attached to the new Ross Heart Center....
 
exmike said:
I have to add that I did get into MCO out of state quite early. I had that stated MCAT but a GPA well below their average, so I'm not sure how strict they are. Supposedly they have at least 5 from CA every year. I also go into OSU out of state, but my year they started shifting toward less in state preference. Same with Case.

I do have to agree with your reasoning SD about why bother applying to non case/osu if you're "outstanding". However some states such as CA are so hard to get into in state that applicants from those states have to cast a wide net, hence the decent number of CA residents at MCO each year.

I mentioned it before, but its worth throwing out there again. With Case and OSU each moving away from state preference, there could conceiveably be up to 50 or so fewer spots for ohio residents this year compared to two years ago. These residents will either matriculate out of state or be pushed into the MCO/NEUOCOM/WSU/UC pools.

This probably means a few things:

1) Overall, it will be harder for Ohio residents to get into Ohio schools, and I imagine scores and averages will rise across the board at Ohio schools for admission

2) It will be easier for Out of Staters to get into Case and OSU

3) It will be harder for Out of Staters to get into MCO/NEUOCOM/WSU/UC since more of those slots will be taken by in staters pushed out of Case and OSU

4) The opposite effects of #2 and #3 probabaly mean that overall it will be a little easier for non ohio residents to get into ANY ohio school, but not by much compare to before.

Just my theory.

hey mike! good to see you here again! shouldn't you be studying tho? :scared:
 
I can't speak for any of the other Ohio schools, but I know for a fact that MCO takes 25% of their class from out of state. If you want me to provide the data I can. That's 35 or so students a year. Compared to most state schools around the country I would say that's a really good percentage of out-of-staters.
 
Hallm_7 said:
I can't speak for any of the other Ohio schools, but I know for a fact that MCO takes 25% of their class from out of state. If you want me to provide the data I can. That's 35 or so students a year. Compared to most state schools around the country I would say that's a really good percentage of out-of-staters.
Gotta love their love for the out-of-staters. Plus I get in-state tuition after the first year. SWWEEEETT!!! 👍
 
Hey All,

Just received a phone call for interview from Cincy, my first choice school! I'm not sure how they usually set up interviews, but the lady on the phone said because the interview date is so close (9/27) they wanted to call and make sure I was available. Good luck, and has anyone esle heard from cincy? 😀
 
DocMizzle said:
Hey All,

Just received a phone call for interview from Cincy, my first choice school! I'm not sure how they usually set up interviews, but the lady on the phone said because the interview date is so close (9/27) they wanted to call and make sure I was available. Good luck, and has anyone esle heard from cincy? 😀

Hey,

Do you know when you were complete at UCincy?

Jason
 
DocMizzle said:
Hey All,

Just received a phone call for interview from Cincy, my first choice school! I'm not sure how they usually set up interviews, but the lady on the phone said because the interview date is so close (9/27) they wanted to call and make sure I was available. Good luck, and has anyone esle heard from cincy? 😀

I received a call from Cincy as well and scheduled for 10/4 since I will be out of town on the 27th. My file was complete on 8/23. Good luck to everyone, looks like they're starting to get the ball rolling.
 
just got a call as well, interview on 9/27. application was complete there on 8/24. good luck...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jason110 said:
Hey,

Do you know when you were complete at UCincy?

Jason

My file was complete on 8/10.

Beek, I guess I'll see you there on the 27th! By the way, are you instate or out of state?
 
Hey folks, I'm almost an Ohio resident - I live in PA, 10 minutes from the border. My dad was a Buckeye and I still watch every one of their games that I can 😉.

Anyway I'm applying to OSU and Case this year so I thought I'd join this thread. Needless to say, they're two of my top choices. I'm interviewing at Case on 10/8, and hopefully I get to interview at OSU too. I was in Columbus once as a little kid but still have yet to see the Ohio Stadium. Here's hoping that changes soon 😀
 
i have received interviews at all my ohio schools (UC, WSU, Case, OSU) as of today. rejoice! woohoo! 👍
 
Thanks for the nice wishes, everyone. I'm leaving for Ohio bright and early tomorrow, so I'm signing off for now. I'll let you know how it goes! 🙂
 
superdevil said:
i have received interviews at all my ohio schools (UC, WSU, Case, OSU) as of today. rejoice! woohoo! 👍

Congrats!

And good luck UCLAstudent 🙂
 
Hey superdevil, just saw on the other thread that we're interviewing on the same day, maybe we'll run into each other 😀
 
Originally Posted by Kazema
Hey superdevil, just saw on the other thread that we're interviewing on the same day, maybe we'll run into each other
cool. could it be that i'll meet my very first real-life SDNer? :laugh:
 
Originally Posted by TripleDegree
Just got my Case invite..... woooo hoo!
congrats! hey, maybe we'll see each other there, since we missed at wsu! i'll be there on october 8th.

Originally Posted by Jason110
shameless bump cuz I 😍 Ohio.
you don't really love ohio, you just want to use her for her bulbous, curvy, supple medical schools! :laugh:
 
I humbly request someone familiar with Ohio State's Independent Study Pathway to PM me or post as much detail as possible. If anyone has a link, that would be helpful, too. This pathway is extremely(!) attractive to me if it's anything like I think it is...
 
UseUrHeadFred said:
I humbly request someone familiar with Ohio State's Independent Study Pathway to PM me or post as much detail as possible. If anyone has a link, that would be helpful, too. This pathway is extremely(!) attractive to me if it's anything like I think it is...

Hmm...I looked for a page on our website detailing it, but I couldn't find anything for you.

There are two pathways at Ohio State for the preclinical sciences: "Integrated Pathway" and "Independent Study Pathway". All students go through anatomy together prior to selecting a pathway. IP generally works out to be about 2-3 hours of lecture on average in the morning, and then a small group case study once or twice a week in the afternoon. The IP curriculum is more one of those "organ systems" type approaches where you get normal physiology/immunology/biochemistry/whatnot at the same time as a little abnormal, pathology and pharmacology.

ISP is more organized into more traditional blocks: microbiology, biochemistry, immunology, pharmacology. Every module has its own extensive handout or a textbook with a list of objectives. Exams are self-scheduled, but there are "drop-dead" dates by which you need to have completed them in sequence to stay on schedule. You still have to come on campus for Physical Exam and Patient-Centered Medicine tutorials and lectures usually twice a week. Other than that, you could theoretically be an astronaut in your spare time. One nice thing about that pathway is the objectives for every exam are explicitly clear, whereas the lecture pathway can be frustratingly ambigous on occasion; I enjoy the context the material is presented in with the lecture pathway, anyway, however.

Hopefully that brief summary helps....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the help... I assume ISP folks are allowed to attend lectures if they so choose, as well...

This pathway sounds right up my alley. I'm self motivated, I like to travel a lot, plus I would like to get some extra clinical elective rotations and maybe some research in before fourth year. All these objectives are effectively achievable with this program from the sound of it.

I'm excited about Ohio State. Originally, I had them on my app as a back up. That has changed the more I've learned about their program.
 
UseUrHeadFred said:
Thanks for the help... I assume ISP folks are allowed to attend lectures if they so choose, as well...

This pathway sounds right up my alley. I'm self motivated, I like to travel a lot, plus I would like to get some extra clinical elective rotations and maybe some research in before fourth year.

There are some ISP folks who do a lot of research; all MD/PhD students do that pathway. ISP is also required if you'd like to be an anatomy TA during 2nd year. I've never heard of any school with the ability to do extra clinical rotations before 3rd year, and ISP is no different. ISP only applies to the 1st and 2nd year; 3rd and 4th year all students are on the same track again.

There's basically no overlap between the sequence of IP and ISP, so I've never seen any ISP folks attend lecture, except this last couple weeks for the Ophthamology lectures that were apparently minimal in their modules.
 
I'm back from my OSU interview. It was absolutely fabulous. I was extremely impressed with the school and it is easily one of my top choices at this point. My interviewer was very friendly. We really hit it off and actually talked for much longer than my scheduled interview time. I feel very satisfied with the interview and with the school. I will post more later when I am awake (just got home ... so of course I post on SDN, hahaha).
 
Sounds great UCLA 🙂

What was your interview like, laid-back and conversational I take it?