Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kazema said:
Sounds great UCLA 🙂

What was your interview like, laid-back and conversational I take it?

Very, very conversational. I started out nervous, but got very comfortable within a few minutes. I was surprised at how few of the "practice questions" (on interview feedback) I was actually asked. It was maybe 10 minutes of those types of questions, and then I was allowed to ask my questions, and then we just chatted for an hour about very, very random things! It was awesome! 👍
 
UCLAstudent said:
Very, very conversational. I started out nervous, but got very comfortable within a few minutes. I was surprised at how few of the "practice questions" (on interview feedback) I was actually asked. It was maybe 10 minutes of those types of questions, and then I was allowed to ask my questions, and then we just chatted for an hour about very, very random things! It was awesome! 👍
did they give you a free satchel and sports bottle this year?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UCLAstudent said:
Yes, that was a nice touch. 🙂

yeah since at least 1/3 or so of the students here at Case also interviewed at osu, we have a few people using those bags for school here.

btw, i encourage you to fill out the case secondary. i was pleasantly suprised by the school before which i thought OSU was the place to be to study medicine in ohio. they're both great, but very different.
 
exmike said:
yeah since at least 1/3 or so of the students here at Case also interviewed at osu, we have a few people using those bags for school here.

btw, i encourage you to fill out the case secondary. i was pleasantly suprised by the school before which i thought OSU was the place to be to study medicine in ohio. they're both great, but very different.

I second that!!...I am at the Public Health School at OSU, do research in the med center here, and yet still I would LOVE to go to Case...The students/curriculum up there are great! 😀
 
Holy crap, I didn't realize how huge Ohio State is. According to wikipedia, it's the second largest single campus in the USA (after UT-Austin) with 48,477 students in 2002...

Doesn't change anything, but interesting nonetheless.
 
UseUrHeadFred said:
Holy crap, I didn't realize how huge Ohio State is. According to wikipedia, it's the second largest single campus in the USA (after UT-Austin) with 48,477 students in 2002...

Doesn't change anything, but interesting nonetheless.

Yeah, I didn't realize how huge it was until I got there. I love big schools! 😍
 
yeah, i just had my osu interview today, too. i must say that it seemed newer/nicer/more modern than i remembered from visiting friends in columbus. i actually liked it better than UPitt (which is also fabulous).

i wish i had UCLAstudent's interviewer, though. mine was asking me to talk about stem cell research and what i thought about bush's impact on science, etc. i wish we could have just talked about football... 🙁 👎
 
superdevil said:
yeah, i just had my osu interview today, too. i must say that it seemed newer/nicer/more modern than i remembered from visiting friends in columbus. i actually liked it better than UPitt (which is also fabulous).

i wish i had UCLAstudent's interviewer, though. mine was asking me to talk about stem cell research and what i thought about bush's impact on science, etc. i wish we could have just talked about football... 🙁 👎

Don't worry, superdevil, it probably went just fine. Honestly, I am a very shy person and am just floored that I didn't break down during the interview. That is a big reason for why I am so happy with how it went. Also, mine didn't go perfectly. There were times that I felt like I was rambling/repeating myself and when I didn't phrase things how I wanted to. And your stats are awesome, so that can only work in your favor! 🙂 I wish we didn't have to wait until Oct. 15 ...
 
UCLAstudent said:
Don't worry, superdevil, it probably went just fine. Honestly, I am a very shy person and am just floored that I didn't break down during the interview. That is a big reason for why I am so happy with how it went. Also, mine didn't go perfectly. There were times that I felt like I was rambling/repeating myself and when I didn't phrase things how I wanted to. And your stats are awesome, so that can only work in your favor! 🙂 I wish we didn't have to wait until Oct. 15 ...
you know, i'm sure we both did fine, but that doesn't always quiet the nerves 😉. they repeatedly made a point out of saying that the people they interview in september are such good applicants, blah blah blah. at least they're prompt about updating their status page on the 15th. hell, i got mixed signals at UPitt and now i have to wait almost SIX bloody months for the verdict! damn!
 
superdevil said:
you know, i'm sure we both did fine, but that doesn't always quiet the nerves 😉. they repeatedly made a point out of saying that the people they interview in september are such good applicants, blah blah blah. at least they're prompt about updating their status page on the 15th. hell, i got mixed signals at UPitt and now i have to wait almost SIX bloody months for the verdict! damn!

I am glad we'll know so early. I'm pretty sure that they make the decision for each applicant after the interview day ends! At least, I think that is what the assistant dean said during his presentation. So, in a way, our fates are already sealed. :laugh:
 
Gotta check in at SDN after my OSU interview today... you future interviewees have nothing to worry about, it was a pretty laid-back day and everyone I talked to post-interview said they thought it had gone well. Personally, I have a history of getting really nervous during interviews, and I was definitely on edge this morning, but I was surprised how non-freaked I was once I got there. I was definitely impressed by the school, and how happy everyone seemed to be there.

I kept trying to figure out who superdevil was, since I knew he was going to be there today, but I couldn't! 🙂
 
lorelei said:
Gotta check in at SDN after my OSU interview today... you future interviewees have nothing to worry about, it was a pretty laid-back day and everyone I talked to post-interview said they thought it had gone well. Personally, I have a history of getting really nervous during interviews, and I was definitely on edge this morning, but I was surprised how non-freaked I was once I got there. I was definitely impressed by the school, and how happy everyone seemed to be there.

I kept trying to figure out who superdevil was, since I knew he was going to be there today, but I couldn't! 🙂
i was the guy with the black suit and a gold shirt/tie combination. were you the one whose dad gave out those special "exams"? 😀
 
I just want to add something to this thread. I am a recent graduate from Cincinnati (now a resident at Mt. Sinai), and would like to state that Cincinnati is a VERY malignant school. But...the name is very prestigious and there are alot of famous attendings. So if you want to be miserable the next four years, but match at an Ivy league caliber residency program, Cincy is for you! I just think this is something that you guys should know. I'm not saying I wouldn't pick it again, as I'm now at Sinai, but I would look at how happy the students are at all of the programs while on the interview trail. However, my buddy at OSU felt the same way. That's just my two cents!
 
desmangt said:
I just want to add something to this thread. I am a recent graduate from Cincinnati (now a resident at Mt. Sinai), and would like to state that Cincinnati is a VERY malignant school. But...the name is very prestigious and there are alot of famous attendings. So if you want to be miserable the next four years, but match at an Ivy league caliber residency program, Cincy is for you! I just think this is something that you guys should know. I'm not saying I wouldn't pick it again, as I'm now at Sinai, but I would look at how happy the students are at all of the programs while on the interview trail. However, my buddy at OSU felt the same way. That's just my two cents!
could you elaborate? perhaps you could PM me? i've got an interview there on 10/12, and would like to know what potential problems there are. thanks.

sd
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
superdevil said:
could you elaborate? perhaps you could PM me? i've got an interview there on 10/12, and would like to know what potential problems there are. thanks.

sd

I would also like to know about this. I have heard from others that students at Cincy get along very well, making for a non-competitive atmosphere. So what exactly are you referring to as malignant? Is it the student-faculty relationship that is malignant? Please do elaborate.
 
superdevil said:
could you elaborate? perhaps you could PM me? i've got an interview there on 10/12, and would like to know what potential problems there are. thanks.

sd

ditto.

you may PM me if you feel more comfortable doing that.
 
me2 please, I really liked OSU and Cinncy...

Appreciate it, thanks!
 
I'm a third year at Cincy and can honestly state that I have not had any attending or director be any more than supportive in my education. I'm not sure what/who made people feel that Cincy is malignant by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd like to know as well 😕 . Obviously everyone has different experiences, but I have nothing but great things to say about UC and it's educational abilities.

No matter where you go there will always be an attending that is notorious for being an a-hole, and also students who feel that they've been treated unfairly. As I've said UC is solid in its education and other than it being rebuilt (the new building will be sweet), I don't see any issues w/faculty, experiences, or education.

Our classes are very tight, and everyone is extremely helpful with each other within the class, as well as between classes. We don't have different pathways like OSU's independent study, but then again, attendence is not required, so you can make your schedule however you like (I went to good presenters, and then took off on a trip out west, then studied when I felt like it).

Everyone is different, but I'm 100% happy that I chose UC and would come here again given the chance 🙂
 
UCLA congrats girl!!!! im so glad your interview went well! dont worry superdevil, you're super so you'll be just fine! my OSU interview is on monday, im a bit nervous but ive given up on reading about ethics and the like...i'll just have to go with my gut. :laugh: 😀 and im super XD about the satchel!
 
superdevil said:
i was the guy with the black suit and a gold shirt/tie combination. were you the one whose dad gave out those special "exams"? 😀

That was me. Nice meeting you! 🙂 And good luck!
 
desmangt said:
I just want to add something to this thread. I am a recent graduate from Cincinnati (now a resident at Mt. Sinai), and would like to state that Cincinnati is a VERY malignant school. But...the name is very prestigious and there are alot of famous attendings. So if you want to be miserable the next four years, but match at an Ivy league caliber residency program, Cincy is for you! I just think this is something that you guys should know. I'm not saying I wouldn't pick it again, as I'm now at Sinai, but I would look at how happy the students are at all of the programs while on the interview trail. However, my buddy at OSU felt the same way. That's just my two cents!

Basically, everyday was torture for my four years in Cincinnati. On every rotation the residents and attendings looked at you as if you had two heads (highly critical and judgemental). Now this isn't every single person within the institution, but the vast majority. The school is in Cincinnati, a VERY conservative/religious community. Now that might be great for some, but I found it very stuffy. I just feel that now I know what pure evil is because I've been through UCCOM. However, my 4 years of tuition only costs a little over $110K. That's great! Most of the other residents in my program now are from schools that are like 30k/year. Now I know they owe more than $110K. Probably close to $220K. You really can't have your cake and eat it too.
 
desmangt said:
Basically, everyday was torture for my four years in Cincinnati. On every rotation the residents and attendings looked at you as if you had two heads (highly critical and judgemental). Now this isn't every single person within the institution, but the vast majority. The school is in Cincinnati, a VERY conservative/religious community. Now that might be great for some, but I found it very stuffy. I just feel that now I know what pure evil is because I've been through UCCOM. However, my 4 years of tuition only costs a little over $110K. That's great! Most of the other residents in my program now are from schools like Case Western, NYU, Cornell, etc.. Now I know they owe more than $110K. Probably close to $220K. You really can't have your cake and eat it too.

That sucks you had such a bad experience. I have heard, though, that there are malignant residents at many teaching hospitals across the country, especially on certain rotations (surgery).

I just want to stick up a little for the city of Cincinnati though, since I've grown up and gone to undergrad here. True that it is conservative (a lot of smaller midwestern cities are), but there is plenty to do here if you look around for it. In fact, the city council the past couple years has shifted; now there are many younger members on council that have been busy pushing to attract more young professionals to the area. The result is a much improved nightlife, as well as the founding of organizations geared toward young professionals. I definitely wouldn't mind spending 4 more years here to go to med school!
 
lorelei said:
That was me. Nice meeting you! 🙂 And good luck!
cool! 🙂 a real-life SDNer...just know, lorelei, that you were "my first" :laugh: the first time is always so magical... 😀

maybe we'll meet again. enjoy the rest of your interviews, and good luck! :luck:
 
DocMizzle said:
That sucks you had such a bad experience. I have heard, though, that there are malignant residents at many teaching hospitals across the country, especially on certain rotations (surgery).

I just want to stick up a little for the city of Cincinnati though, since I've grown up and gone to undergrad here. True that it is conservative (a lot of smaller midwestern cities are), but there is plenty to do here if you look around for it. In fact, the city council the past couple years has shifted; now there are many younger members on council that have been busy pushing to attract more young professionals to the area. The result is a much improved nightlife, as well as the founding of organizations geared toward young professionals. I definitely wouldn't mind spending 4 more years here to go to med school!
i've lived about an hour north of cincy the past 22 years. i know its "conservative" by the standards of most idealistic, liberal college kids, but its not that bad--seriously. unless you like to walk around naked and have hippy love-ins, the political climate ain't gonna kill ya. hell, doesn't anyone remember that jerry springer was once the mayor?
 
The city of Cincinnatti itself is quite screwed up. We're talking Detroit levels of urban decay and disfunction here. It's heavily Democratic, and has a history of electing left-wing politicians (such as the aforementioned Jerry Springer) that surprise everyone by running the city further and further into the ground.

I'm sure the suburbs are quite Republican, and function just fine. But what American city doesn't have Republican leaning suburbs?

I think liberals will like Cincinnati proper just fine. It's a classic example that Republicans cite when they're campaigning on the point of, "Democrats run every decrepit inner city in America!" :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Garuda said:
The city of Cincinnatti itself is quite screwed up. We're talking Detroit levels of urban decay and disfunction here. It's heavily Democratic, and has a history of electing left-wing politicians (such as the aforementioned Jerry Springer) that surprise everyone by running the city further and further into the ground.

I'm sure the suburbs are quite Republican, and function just fine. But what American city doesn't have Republican leaning suburbs?

I think liberals will like Cincinnati proper just fine. It's a classic example that Republicans cite when they're campaigning on the point of, "Democrats run every decrepit inner city in America!" :laugh:

Thanks for your unbiased viewpoint 😉
 
superdevil said:
i've lived about an hour north of cincy the past 22 years. i know its "conservative" by the standards of most idealistic, liberal college kids, but its not that bad--seriously. unless you like to walk around naked and have hippy love-ins, the political climate ain't gonna kill ya. hell, doesn't anyone remember that jerry springer was once the mayor?


Hmmm SD, I live in Cincy too, what night life are you talking about? I've been looking and I haven't found any, unless you're willing to drive across the river to Newport.

However, nightlife apart, I agree that Cincy is quite a nice city.
 
TripleDegree said:
Hmmm SD, I live in Cincy too, what night life are you talking about? I've been looking and I haven't found any, unless you're willing to drive across the river to Newport.

However, nightlife apart, I agree that Cincy is quite a nice city.

Well, let's see...I like the Pavilion and Longworth's in Mt. Adams, Club Clau and Neon's on Main Street, Mount Lookout Tavern.

And you're right...across the river there's the Waterfront in Covington and Tropicana, Hofbrauhaus, and the Beer Sellar in Newport, all within 10 minutes of Cincinnati.

In the summers there's Party at Sawyer Point.

The local bars near UC campus aren't bad during the school year, either.

This has been plenty of nightlife to keep me busy the past several years!
 
Garuda said:
The city of Cincinnatti itself is quite screwed up. We're talking Detroit levels of urban decay and disfunction here. It's heavily Democratic, and has a history of electing left-wing politicians (such as the aforementioned Jerry Springer) that surprise everyone by running the city further and further into the ground.

I'm sure the suburbs are quite Republican, and function just fine. But what American city doesn't have Republican leaning suburbs?

I think liberals will like Cincinnati proper just fine. It's a classic example that Republicans cite when they're campaigning on the point of, "Democrats run every decrepit inner city in America!" :laugh:

Let me comment on this. Garuda is right in that Cincy is unique in that there is a dichotomy: there are the neighborhoods immediately surrounding downtown cincy that are democratic, full of minorities and underserved, and then there are the suburbs that are mostly caucasian and republican. The reason for this, as Garuda harshly mentioned, is over the years there has been decay in some of these underserved neighborhoods that have forced residents with the financial capability out and into the suburbs. This has inadvertantly caused segregation, heightened by racial tension due to "police misconduct" that included racial profiling that happened in the late 90's and culminated in riots in 2001. Things since have calmed way down; however, all recent attempts at rebuilding some of these poor neighborhoods have proven futile.

Except for the 2001 riots, none of this has affected me too much. In fact, I still visit downtown quite often and feel relatively safe there, just as safe as I do walking around any downtown metropolitan city.
 
this is a question regarding ohio state: my LORs were sent out from school's committee on 8/31. My OSU's status page is currently displaying in a table to the right hand corner what type of letter they'll be receiving. underneath the table is the caption "it is possible that your letters have been received but are not posted..." (or something like that). can someone tell me what the status page actually looks like when they have received your LORs? thanks.
 
chinkemon said:
can someone tell me what the status page actually looks like when they have received your LORs? thanks.

It will be very clear when they indicate it. They will list the type of letter and the full name of the person or committee. OSU was the fast on updating their page for me.
 
Nothing bad about a conservative city in my book. It's not "that bad?" What's that supposed to mean?

I've lived in tons of fun, conservative towns. Knoxville, pretty much all of Orange County, CA, Charleston. If you ain't havin fun in a larger town (or really just in general), it's pretty much your own fault.
 
Garuda said:
The city of Cincinnatti itself is quite screwed up. We're talking Detroit levels of urban decay and disfunction here. It's heavily Democratic, and has a history of electing left-wing politicians (such as the aforementioned Jerry Springer) that surprise everyone by running the city further and further into the ground.

While I agree that there is quite a bit of disfunction regarding economic development in Cincinnati, the city certainly isn't run by liberals. Our current Mayor, Charlie Luken, is often referred to by the Republican Party as "the Democratic Party's best Republican." Conservatism is the defining characteristic of this city, which is bested only by the ultra-conservative suburbs Garuda so lovingly adores. If you think Cincinnati is liberal, you must be from Wyoming.
 
freaker said:
Nothing bad about a conservative city in my book. It's not "that bad?" What's that supposed to mean?

I've lived in tons of fun, conservative towns. Knoxville, pretty much all of Orange County, CA, Charleston. If you ain't havin fun in a larger town (or really just in general), it's pretty much your own fault.
if you're referring to me saying its not "that bad", i was being sarcastic. there's nothing bad about living in a conservative city, but most college students act like a hint of conservatism is about as pleasant as nerve gas. 🙄
 
Tomorrow is my first interview, at Wright State! Hopefully it will go as well for me as it has for everyone else 👍
 
DocMizzle said:
Tomorrow is my first interview, at Wright State! Hopefully it will go as well for me as it has for everyone else 👍


All the best - no sweat - its quite laid back. Just be natural.
 
for you guys who are applying to ohio med schls and have interviews, do u mind sharing when u were complete and when u heard back from the schools? i turned in my amcas long ago (mid june ish) buit they didnt get my LORs till late aug (due to my schools premed committee) but anyway, i just feel liek everyone i know has an interview but me... 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who filled out the OSU secondary, did you use any of the stuff from your Personal Statement on the AMCAS to answer the second question?

I find the second question to be asking something that I directly addressed in my personal statement. Is it not a good idea to use the Personal statement material to answer this question or what?
 
They expect a higher level of detail than is provied on your personal statement. Thus, referencing that material for the sake of clarification would be a good thing.
 
Well I just received my MCO interview invite. For those who would like to know I'm a CA resident, 3.36 SGPA, 34 MCAT, complete 8-31 and invite was sent 9-15. I would be grateful if those of you familiar with the school/city could give me any tips for my upcoming interview, since I don't know much about MCO.