Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats to the many acceptances on the board.

wondering if anyone knows what is better the Cleveland Clinic program or the regular CWRU program?

I got an interview at the Cleveland Clinic program but most likely did not receive a CWRU interview (I called and she said no...but I never clarified if my app had been reviewed...it probably was i guess....)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations everyone. I also got the good word from OSU yesterday and will be significantly trimming back my list of schools. Where does Ohio State rank on everyone's list so far?
 
OSU is high on my list. I need to wait and see what happens with the CA schools, but of the places I've interviewed at so far, OSU has been my favorite.
 
TysonCook said:
Just wanted to say congrats from a UCIII. If anyone has specific questions about UC I'll try to answer them as best I can. I'm a bit busy w/rotations and finals this week, but otherwise good luck to all, it's a wild ride. 🙂

I haven't heard from UC yet. I applied really early.
My stats as follows MCAT : 30 GPA 3.8+
I am a Northern KY resident who will have to pay instate under reciprocity.
Also, I thought I would be considered in-state for admissions purposes since I am so close to Cincy. Just 15 minutes away
🙁
 
Premedtomed said:
I haven't heard from UC yet. I applied really early.
My stats as follows MCAT : 30 GPA 3.8+
I am a Northern KY resident who will have to pay instate under reciprocity.
Also, I thought I would be considered in-state for admissions purposes since I am so close to Cincy. Just 15 minutes away
🙁

You sure you'd get reciprocity? This is what's printed in latest course catalog, that just came out last week:

http://www.uc.edu/registrar/reciprocity.asp?section=main&back=Fees
 
Premedtomed said:
Am I in-state for admissions purposes though ??

The way I read it is that the MD program is "exempt" from tuition reciprocity, meaning you gots to shell out the big bucks. I'm pretty sure for admission you're out of state, but UC takes a lot of out of state folks every year I'm told. I could be wrong on this, but that's my interpretation for the tuition issue.
 
Truce57 said:
The way I read it is that the MD program is "exempt" from tuition reciprocity, meaning you gots to shell out the big bucks. I'm pretty sure for admission you're out of state, but UC takes a lot of out of state folks every year I'm told. I could be wrong on this, but that's my interpretation for the tuition issue.

Even if someone is out of state, at OH schools (including Cincy), they can achieve in-state residence after M1 year; the last 3 years of medschool are at in-state prices!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TripleDegree said:
Just checked U of Cincinnati's status page, and I'm in!

Congrats! Is Cincy one of your top choices, b/c I'm 99% sure I'll be attending!

We should start a UofCincy Class of 2009 thread!
 
DocMizzle said:
Congrats! Is Cincy one of your top choices, b/c I'm 99% sure I'll be attending!

We should start a UofCincy Class of 2009 thread!

I only applied/interviewed to the 4 Ohio schools I'm interested in - WSU, OSU, Cincy and Case. Cincy is definitely one of the top choices!

Lets do it!
 
TripleDegree said:
Just checked U of Cincinnati's status page, and I'm in!
Congrats! 👍 👍 👍 I interviewed 10/11 and my status is still "no final decision." May I ask when you interviewed?
 
If you are concerned about the KY status as being instate call the financial aid dept or email them. You'll want to speak with Dr. Daniel Burr, or his asst. Debbie Kaffenberger.

Call the admissions office and they'll transfer you or give you thier email. They are both super nice and would be able to give you the definitive answer.

If you run a search for UC you'll see my take on the school as well as others. I'd type more but I have finals this week. Good luck to you guys and I'll be excited to see everyone next fall if admitted.
 
liverotcod said:
Thanks. Maybe I'll be getting some news later this week or next. Congrats again.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, you should be hearing from there by the end of next week, they seem to be going about it fairly methodically.

All the best to you
 
Congrats TripleDegree!

I called Case on Monday, the lady said she thought that they would start sending out decisions on Friday (10/22). Just an FYI 🙂
 
i interviewed at UC on the 12th, and my status page still just says the "invited for interview" message. anybody else have UC do this (its been 8 days)?
 
superdevil said:
i interviewed at UC on the 12th, and my status page still just says the "invited for interview" message. anybody else have UC do this (its been 8 days)?
Mine changed to "no final decision" after a couple days. I missed you by one day 🙁
 
liverotcod said:
Mine changed to "no final decision" after a couple days. I missed you by one day 🙁
yeah, no kidding. meeting people from SDN has been a blast on the ol' interview trail. well, maybe if yale wants to interview us....ah hell, this optimism stuff is overrated :meanie:
 
superdevil said:
i interviewed at UC on the 12th, and my status page still just says the "invited for interview" message. anybody else have UC do this (its been 8 days)?

I think mine changed to "Interview conducted, no final decision" the very next day (10/7 or thereabouts).....

I don't think its anything to worry about, maybe the computer guy took a week off or something to attend the Star Trek Convention 🙂


Kazema - thanks. Yeah, I got the same message from Case. Saturday's mail should be interesting :scared: 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ambrosia said:
Does anyone know when we can expect to hear from MCO?

When I interviewed there they said that the committee would meet for the first time on Tues. 10/19. If that was the case, we should be hearing soon! Good Luck!
 
i guess it depends on when you interview there too....if early, maybe 2 weeks....i just interviewed there a couple days ago and they said 3 weeks...so closer to 4 weeks for it to arrive in the mail, for people like me on the west coast.

SaltySqueegee said:
2weeks post interview is the usual.

Regards,

-Salty
 
my UC status page finally acknowledges the fact that i was there last tuesday! hopefully i'll get a decision from UC and case within a couple of weeks!

by the way, does anyone know how often UC or case's adcoms meet? sorry if its been asked...
 
superdevil said:
my UC status page finally acknowledges the fact that i was there last tuesday! hopefully i'll get a decision from UC and case within a couple of weeks!

by the way, does anyone know how often UC or case's adcoms meet? sorry if its been asked...


what was the interview at UC like? I have one next week.
What kind of questions did they ask?

This is actually for anyone who can asnwer them
 
Premedtomed said:
what was the interview at UC like? I have one next week.
What kind of questions did they ask?

This is actually for anyone who can asnwer them
i'm afraid i can't help much. my first question was "how many interviews have you been to so far?" when i told her, she was surprised and wanted to know how other schools conduct interviews, etc. then we talked about general stuff like what its like to apply to medical school, what it was like when she applied to residency, what to do in cincinnati, etc.

sorry, but there's tons on interview feedback on SDN about UC.
 
OTheHorror said:
click below to find out how to get into any ohio school

yeah 🙄

So basically, it is pretty relaxed, right?

No thought provoking questions like stem cell and other stuff, right?
 
Premedtomed said:
yeah 🙄

So basically, it is pretty relaxed, right?

No thought provoking questions like stem cell and other stuff, right?
well, for me it was relaxed. some of the questions i read on SDN were pretty tricky, though (the hypothetical "suppose you had one heart and two patients who would die, blah blah blah" kind of crap).

good luck!
 
superdevil said:
well, for me it was relaxed. some of the questions i read on SDN were pretty tricky, though (the hypothetical "suppose you had one heart and two patients who would die, blah blah blah" kind of crap).

good luck!
Not only am I invading your thread again, but I am invading Ohio this time! But I heard Cleveland rocks, so it shouldn't be too bad.
 
OHio ppl what do u think of MCO? (toledo) i just got in there today
any thoughts/feelings ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
acidhouse303 said:
OHio ppl what do u think of MCO? (toledo) i just got in there today
any thoughts/feelings ?

I know someone out there - I think its a pretty decent school with a great culture.
 
4th page?! sheesh. bump...


case acceptances are trickling out, so everybody be extra nice to the mailman! 😀
 
for those of you who interviewed here, how did you find out who your interviewer(s) is? thanks for the info. =)