Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
size_tens said:
Well I just received my MCO interview invite. For those who would like to know I'm a CA resident, 3.36 SGPA, 34 MCAT, complete 8-31 and invite was sent 9-15. I would be grateful if those of you familiar with the school/city could give me any tips for my upcoming interview, since I don't know much about MCO.
I was a bay area San Fran resident. Moved to the Toledo area in May 04'. Currently a 1st year at MCO.

Love the school so far.

The best part about MCO is the lack of 'negative' competition amongst students. The best way to put it is: family like atmosphere. People are very open and relaxed, when tests are not near by that is.

The PBL curriculum eases you into clinical diagnostics, and provides a diversion from the humdrum, day in/out basic science courses of 1st year.

I'm currently taking a one year elective course in Medical Spanish. So far its been a lot of fun.

That's all I can think of right now. Best of luck in your interview. It will be extremely low stress; very conversational.

-Salty
 
just finished my interview at osu. one of my interviewers didnt ask a lot of questions and was wondering his eyes......but he was smiling....weirded me out. i dont really know what to think of it. i blabbered a lot, and got off topic.

did you guys receive an email notifying you that your status had changed right after the interview?? i got one this morning and had heart attack cause i thought i got rejected..... 😱
 
wends said:
just finished my interview at osu. one of my interviewers didnt ask a lot of questions and was wondering his eyes......but he was smiling....weirded me out. i dont really know what to think of it. i blabbered a lot, and got off topic.

did you guys receive an email notifying you that your status had changed right after the interview?? i got one this morning and had heart attack cause i thought i got rejected..... 😱
don't worry, they send that email to everyone. who was your interviewer? PM me if you'd rather...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I finally got my first interview... at MCO... I'm very happy about it! My first interview invite (I hope there are many more).

Jason
 
Congrats Jason, I'm sure you'll be getting many more soon 🙂

When's your interview?
 
Seems like the string of invites from OSU has quietened down a bit, unless there are folks who have received interviews recently, but just opting not to post them.

I've got Case coming up real soon - anyone already speak to them? Whats the interview like?

Also - is Case in a really sh***y part of town? The last thing I wanna do is get mugged in my crisp blue suit on my way to an interview.
 
TripleDegree said:
Seems like the string of invites from OSU has quietened down a bit, unless there are folks who have received interviews recently, but just opting not to post them.

I've got Case coming up real soon - anyone already speak to them? Whats the interview like?

Also - is Case in a really sh***y part of town? The last thing I wanna do is get mugged in my crisp blue suit on my way to an interview.

The area around case is actually pretty decent unless you go too far east. If you're on campus you're totally safe. If you're staying with a host, you're safe. There really isnt anywhere to stay in east cleveland anyway, so i'd say you and your snazzy suit will make it to the interview alive.
 
exmike said:
The area around case is actually pretty decent unless you go too far east. If you're on campus you're totally safe. If you're staying with a host, you're safe. There really isnt anywhere to stay in east cleveland anyway, so i'd say you and your snazzy suit will make it to the interview alive.

My snazzy polyester suit? Haha!
 
Question about UCincy's "MedOneStop" status page:

I logged into MedOneStop this morning to see if my recommendations were received by Cincy. They were. But I also found out that I am scheduled for an interview next Friday :scared: !!! I know the others of you have received a phone call from Cincy about your interview, but I only found out through the status page (I haven't received a phone call yet). Do you think it would be bad if I call them to what's up with my app?

BTW, next Friday seems too early to me. Anyone concur? Would it look bad if I try to reschedule?

Jason
 
Jason110 said:
Question about UCincy's "MedOneStop" status page:

I logged into MedOneStop this morning to see if my recommendations were received by Cincy. They were. But I also found out that I am scheduled for an interview next Friday :scared: !!! I know the others of you have received a phone call from Cincy about your interview, but I only found out through the status page (I haven't received a phone call yet). Do you think it would be bad if I call them to what's up with my app?

BTW, next Friday seems too early to me. Anyone concur? Would it look bad if I try to reschedule?

Jason


Why is Friday TOO early? 😕 Unless you have some very good reason for needing that day free for other things, why not take an early interview? I'm still impatiently waiting for some Cinci love myself!! :scared:
 
i interviewed at case last week, it was really really basic stuff. they just want to get to know you. and exmike is right, the area isn't as bad as people told me it would be. i only got mugged once, on my way back to the airport after the interview.

















just kidding, of course.

TripleDegree said:
Seems like the string of invites from OSU has quietened down a bit, unless there are folks who have received interviews recently, but just opting not to post them.

I've got Case coming up real soon - anyone already speak to them? Whats the interview like?

Also - is Case in a really sh***y part of town? The last thing I wanna do is get mugged in my crisp blue suit on my way to an interview.
 
sunUCB said:
i interviewed at case last week, it was really really basic stuff. they just want to get to know you. and exmike is right, the area isn't as bad as people told me it would be. i only got mugged once, on my way back to the airport after the interview.

















just kidding, of course.

was your student host an indian guy?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I have my interview at UCincy coming up soon (like early next week). I'm just wondering if any of you who have interviewed there (or are medical students) can share their thoughts on the interviews.

My interview is scheduled for the same room as the Office of Admissions. Is that commonplace at UCincy?

Secondly, how would you describe the school to an applicant like me? What things should I look out for? (You can PM me if you like.)

Your help is appreciated,

Jason
 
Hey yall...I finally got some love from Ohio schools...just set up a Wright State interview for next week...I was just wondering if anyone knows what percentage gets accepted after interview, and how quickly they got back to you after the interview?
 
Has anyone interviewed for Case already this year? Since recent interview feedback is unavailable, I was wondering if anyone could post or PM me about what to expect. My Case interview is tomorrow!
 
From usnews for Wright State:

.......................Applied......Interviewed....Accepted......Enrolled
Total:...............2,774........409...............409..............91
In-state:...........886...........343...............188.............80
Out-of-state:....1,888..........66................44...............11

Something has to be wrong with the Total line, though...
 
liverotcod said:
From usnews for Wright State:

.......................Applied......Interviewed....Accepted......Enrolled
Total:...............2,774........409...............409..............91
In-state:...........886...........343...............188.............80
Out-of-state:....1,888..........66................44...............11

Something has to be wrong with the Total line, though...


Thanks for the stats!...Yah that would be nice if the total line was right 🙂 ....but I guess a 2 out of 3 chance of getting in isn't bad....Hopefully 😎
 
I interviewed at Case last Friday...I had Dr. Kaung. She was very nice, but she did have a list of questions. However, the interview was pretty conversational, and she asked a couple of questions off of the list. It was more or less a discussion of "why medicine", "why case", "what influenced your decision". It was pretty relaxed, for the most part. I hope this helps.
 
hey everybody,

haven't posted here in a while. i'll be at UC 10/12 and case on 10/8. anybody else? i think kazema will be at case on the 8th...

BeanieA: wright state will let you know in pretty short order (likely 2-3 weeks).

DocMizzle: don't forget to tell us how your case interview goes!

much luck, ohio applicants!!!

sd
 
superdevil said:
hey everybody,

haven't posted here in a while. i'll be at UC 10/12 and case on 10/8. anybody else? i think kazema will be at case on the 8th...

BeanieA: wright state will let you know in pretty short order (likely 2-3 weeks).

DocMizzle: don't forget to tell us how your case interview goes!

much luck, ohio applicants!!!

sd


SD, I haven't heard a thing from Wright yet - have you?

BTW, my Case interview was definitely not as relaxed as I thought it would be. I must have been asked at least 20 questions, and we went the full hour.

The student hosts were wonderful, especially this one blonde girl with frizzy hair - she was probably the most bubbly person I've seen in a long time 🙂
 
TripleDegree said:
SD, I haven't heard a thing from Wright yet - have you?

BTW, my Case interview was definitely not as relaxed as I thought it would be. I must have been asked at least 20 questions, and we went the full hour.

The student hosts were wonderful, especially this one blonde girl with frizzy hair - she was probably the most bubbly person I've seen in a long time 🙂
i interviewed at wright state in august.

i'm sorry to hear about the case interview. the same thing happened to me at osu--everyone said it was cake, then my interview was difficult (though certainly not unreasonable).

mmmm, blonde student host girls.... 😀
 
TripleDegree said:
SD, I haven't heard a thing from Wright yet - have you?

BTW, my Case interview was definitely not as relaxed as I thought it would be. I must have been asked at least 20 questions, and we went the full hour.

The student hosts were wonderful, especially this one blonde girl with frizzy hair - she was probably the most bubbly person I've seen in a long time 🙂

Who was your interviewer? Mine will be Dr. Haqqi.
 
hey all, i have a pretty basic question, how long does it take for something to get from Dayton to Cincinnati using regular mail? 2 days?
 
U4iA said:
hey all, i have a pretty basic question, how long does it take for something to get from Dayton to Cincinnati using regular mail? 2 days?
yeah, about two days. three would prolly be unusual, but the post office is full of government employees, after all 😉
 
Hey, yeah I'm interviewing at Case on 10/8. Who's your interviewer superdevil? Mine's Dr. Eileen Stork. Anyone else have her?

I'm looking forward to it but am kind of nervous. I guess that's how everyone feels :laugh:
 
Kazema said:
Hey, yeah I'm interviewing at Case on 10/8. Who's your interviewer superdevil? Mine's Dr. Eileen Stork. Anyone else have her?

I'm looking forward to it but am kind of nervous. I guess that's how everyone feels :laugh:
hopefully we'll get a chance to chat it up at case! i wonder if dr. stork delivers babies for a living 😀 yea, i'm corny...

my interviewer is dr. neelima kale. anyone had her?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
superdevil said:
hopefully we'll get a chance to chat it up at case! i wonder if dr. stork delivers babies for a living 😀 yea, i'm corny...

Funny enough, when I searched for her on Case's web page, I discovered that she's a neonatologist :laugh:
 
No Stork for me, they changed my interviewer to Dr Amy Heneghan. And moved it from 1:30 pm to 9 am.
 
Kazema said:
No Stork for me, they changed my interviewer to Dr Amy Heneghan. And moved it from 1:30 pm to 9 am.

Just had my Case interview yesterday. I met Dr. Heneghan, who is a very nice lady, so your interview should go well. She is also the director of admissions I believe.
 
yeah he was....he actually told me about you, hehe...i think you were out of town

exmike said:
was your student host an indian guy?
 
DocMizzle said:
Just had my Case interview yesterday. I met Dr. Heneghan, who is a very nice lady, so your interview should go well. She is also the director of admissions I believe.

Cool, thanks for letting me know!

How'd you like Case?
 
Did anyone else get the status change at Wright State? It says on the web page that a decision has been mailed to address on file.


I wonder what this means - accept or reject????? Jeeez.... I can't wait, the suspense is killing 😕
 
TripleDegree said:
Did anyone else get the status change at Wright State? It says on the web page that a decision has been mailed to address on file.


I wonder what this means - accept or reject????? Jeeez.... I can't wait, the suspense is killing 😕
yeah, i got it, too. it means what it says it means (accept/reject/alternate decisions will be mailed). in our case, though, all it really means is that they've decided our fate--if they had mailed out my decision when my status page changed, i would have gotten it ~oct 1, violating AAMC traffic rules (which wsu abides by) by a solid 2 weeks.

i'm sure they'll mail the stuff out the end of this week or the beginning of next. btw, did you notice that they misspelled "decision" on the status page? classy 🙄

good luck, TripleDegree! :luck:
 
superdevil said:
yeah, i got it, too. it means what it says it means (accept/reject/alternate decisions will be mailed). in our case, though, all it really means is that they've decided our fate--if they had mailed out my decision when my status page changed, i would have gotten it ~oct 1, violating AAMC traffic rules (which wsu abides by) by a solid 2 weeks.

i'm sure they'll mail the stuff out the end of this week or the beginning of next. btw, did you notice that they misspelled "decision" on the status page? classy 🙄

good luck, TripleDegree! :luck:


Thanks Superdevil - the same to you too! I hope the 'decession' turns out to be favorable 🙂
 
superdevil said:
yeah, i got it, too. it means what it says it means (accept/reject/alternate decisions will be mailed). in our case, though, all it really means is that they've decided our fate--if they had mailed out my decision when my status page changed, i would have gotten it ~oct 1, violating AAMC traffic rules (which wsu abides by) by a solid 2 weeks.

i'm sure they'll mail the stuff out the end of this week or the beginning of next. btw, did you notice that they misspelled "decision" on the status page? classy 🙄

good luck, TripleDegree! :luck:


Actually Superdevil, on second perusal, it says "a decision has been mailed to your preferred address"

Did you get the same one? The tense seems to imply that the event has already taken place ... ?
 
TripleDegree said:
Actually Superdevil, on second perusal, it says "a decision has been mailed to your preferred address"

Did you get the same one? The tense seems to imply that the event has already taken place ... ?
yep, that's exactly what mine says. i still don't think they've actually mailed the decisions, though (due to the oct 15th rule).

the quote: "A decession has been mailed to your preferred address."
"decession"?? c'mon...
 
superdevil said:
yep, that's exactly what mine says. i still don't think they've actually mailed the decisions, though (due to the oct 15th rule).

the quote: "A decession has been mailed to your preferred address."
"decession"?? c'mon...
Maybe it's kinda like dessert vs. desert. It's a good thing! Two SS's mean you got the acceptance! 😀 It would have been bad if it was only one S. 😉
 
SaltySqueegee said:
Maybe it's kinda like dessert vs. desert. It's a good thing! Two SS's mean you got the acceptance! 😀 It would have been bad if it was only one S. 😉
it could be that, or maybe their trying to soften the blow for the rejects--you know, by adding misspellings they're kind of giving you some comic relief before the ol' boot. it's like they're playing good-cop/bad-cop with themselves: "yeah, i got rejected from wsu, but who wants to go to a school with ******ed bad-spellers, anyway!"

:laugh: kidding, of course!
 
I have not heard from Case yet for an interview. I hope I am not going to be holding on forever there. I would rather know now (rejection) than to have it drag on. Does anyone know how far into the year they are with interviews?

How does OSU work as far as status page goes? For those of us interviewd, do they wait until Oct. 15 to do their waitlists and rejections or only their acceptances? (Hmmm... so if it is not an acceptance, would we have been rejected or waitlisted by now?) I think I have reached the point of grasping at straws and it is only Ocober. :laugh:
 
curiouslygeorge said:
How does OSU work as far as status page goes? For those of us interviewd, do they wait until Oct. 15 to do their waitlists and rejections or only their acceptances? (Hmmm... so if it is not an acceptance, would we have been rejected or waitlisted by now?) I think I have reached the point of grasping at straws and it is only Ocober. :laugh:
that's a good question. i guess you should just assume that the closer the 15th becomes, the higher your chances for acceptance are! 😉
 
Anyone been through Cincinnati's interview yet? I have mine tomorrow morning and don't really know what to expect; I want to nail this one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
glc549 said:
Anyone been through Cincinnati's interview yet? I have mine tomorrow morning and don't really know what to expect; I want to nail this one.
The interview feedback site has good info on Cincinnati.
 
For those of you that interviewed at Ohio State, did your status page change to

"Interviewed - Decision Pending" the day after the interview.

I know they make decisions on your file the night after the interview and reading through older threads, it seems alot of times this message didn't change for months at a time. Just wondering what everyone elses page says...
 
DrThom said:
For those of you that interviewed at Ohio State, did your status page change to

"Interviewed - Decision Pending" the day after the interview.

I know they make decisions on your file the night after the interview and reading through older threads, it seems alot of times this message didn't change for months at a time. Just wondering what everyone elses page says...

Mine did. I was terrified when I got the email that my status had changed, because I knew they couldn't give acceptances before 10/15. But it says the same as yours.
 
lorelei said:
Mine did. I was terrified when I got the email that my status had changed, because I knew they couldn't give acceptances before 10/15. But it says the same as yours.


So for those of us who are interviewing post 10/15 - we could conceivably get the result the same day?? eeek