Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TripleDegree said:
So for those of us who are interviewing post 10/15 - we could conceivably get the result the same day?? eeek

With the status change also comes a letter that says that the decision will be given ten business days from your interview date.
 
Anyone else check the UC status page after interviewing to find a status change? I don't know what to make of it, but this is what mine reads:

"Interview was held on 9/27/04. No final decision has been reached.
The committee will continue to review applications for several months. Please continue to check this site for any update to your status."

Does this mean I'm on hold? Or is this temporary until Oct. 15th when they can say accept, reject, or waitlist?
 
Hey hey, I'm in Cleveland now at my student host's house. Interview tomorrow!

Nervous and excited, but not quite as bad as the night before the MCAT :laugh:

Here's hoping I sleep tonight!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kazema said:
Hey hey, I'm in Cleveland now at my student host's house. Interview tomorrow!

Nervous and excited, but not quite as bad as the night before the MCAT :laugh:

Here's hoping I sleep tonight!
Break a leg!
:luck: :luck: :luck:
 
Kazema said:
Hey hey, I'm in Cleveland now at my student host's house. Interview tomorrow!

Nervous and excited, but not quite as bad as the night before the MCAT :laugh:

Here's hoping I sleep tonight!

ill see if i can pick you out. hehe. who is your host btw?
 
Paul Lin hosted me, he's a second year.

About to leave now, thanks for the good luck wishes.

exmike: I'm the Asian guy wearing a black suit, light blue shirt, and red tie. That's very unique isn't it? :laugh:
 
Kazema said:
Paul Lin hosted me, he's a second year.

About to leave now, thanks for the good luck wishes.

exmike: I'm the Asian guy wearing a black suit, light blue shirt, and red tie. That's very unique isn't it? :laugh:


GOOD LUCK! and dont forget to give me all the juicy details! oh, and that combo sounds good to me! :laugh:
 
Kazema said:
Paul Lin hosted me, he's a second year.

About to leave now, thanks for the good luck wishes.

exmike: I'm the Asian guy wearing a black suit, light blue shirt, and red tie. That's very unique isn't it? :laugh:

ok there were like three of you today
 
I was complete at Case on 8/23 and I have not heard back regarding an interview. Should I call, and what should I say? Congrats on the rest of you who have earned a Case interview. I'm anxiously waiting for mine. I really, really want to go there.

And Case contacted you via snail mail, correct? I just feel so frustrated right now. 🙁

Jason
 
To invade your thread, I have a question regarding Case, and having so much focus on Case today in here, it seems as good of place as any. What exactly do Ohio residents think of Case? How does it compare to other Ohio schools and because Case takes ~1/2 of its class from Ohio, are they more linient on the quality of applicant interviewed/accepted if they are from Ohio? Blah blah, just a lowly out of stater looking to learn a bit more about the school.
 
YzIa said:
To invade your thread, I have a question regarding Case, and having so much focus on Case today in here, it seems as good of place as any. What exactly do Ohio residents think of Case? How does it compare to other Ohio schools and because Case takes ~1/2 of its class from Ohio, are they more linient on the quality of applicant interviewed/accepted if they are from Ohio? Blah blah, just a lowly out of stater looking to learn a bit more about the school.

Case no longer has ohio preference. My class is 70% out of state whereas the class before was 40% out of state. I wouldn't be suprised if the out of state percentage rises even more this year. Case is arguably the best med school in ohio in terms of NIH dollars and "reputation".
 
exmike said:
Case no longer has ohio preference. My class is 70% out of state whereas the class before was 40% out of state. I wouldn't be suprised if the out of state percentage rises even more this year. Case is arguably the best med school in ohio in terms of NIH dollars and "reputation".

Well thanks for the info, I find it really hard sometimes to get an accurate picture of what medical schools are locally perceived as if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Thats interesting that Case doesnt have preference instate anymore. I guess I'm a self-homer and like that, except in cases where I am a resident of said state!
 
exmike said:
ok there were like three of you today

Haha that was my strategy, as long as they take one of me, I'll get in 😉. I did meet superdevil today, my first real-life SDN encounter.

Jason: Yeah Case contacted me via snail mail. A nice tiny thin envelope, so I thought it was a rejection.

So I really love Case. Everything about the school seems to be what I'm looking for in a school, from the curriculum to the philosophy to the clinical experiences to the people. Especially the people, everyone seems so active and genuinely passionate about what they're doing. And the students all seem happy to be there.

Now all I need is an acceptance letter :laugh:
 
Jason110 said:
I was complete at Case on 8/23 and I have not heard back regarding an interview. Should I call, and what should I say?

I've called a couple schools, and just asked whether my application was currently being reviewed or if it had been reviewed already. Generally they tell me they can't give me any info other than I show as being "under review" or something like that. Though Ohio State did tell me that I was "probably going to have a bit of a waiting game to look forward to" so I assume I've been reviewed and placed into the "review again later" pile or something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
YzIa said:
To invade your thread, I have a question regarding Case, and having so much focus on Case today in here, it seems as good of place as any. What exactly do Ohio residents think of Case? How does it compare to other Ohio schools and because Case takes ~1/2 of its class from Ohio, are they more linient on the quality of applicant interviewed/accepted if they are from Ohio? Blah blah, just a lowly out of stater looking to learn a bit more about the school.

What do I think of Case? Well, I interviewed there last week and was highly impressed with what I saw. Like a previous poster stated, the faculty are very passionate about teaching medicine, and the students are supportive and friendly; it seems like a very positive learning environment. Although I'm not sure yet and depending on multiple acceptances from ohio schools, my final decision may be financially motivated. Case is a great school, but I don't know yet if I can justify spending the extra $15k a year to attend over the other state schools.
 
For those of you who have already interviewed at UCincy,, did your status page change after you interviewed? If so, what did it say?


Jason
 
DocMizzle said:
What do I think of Case? Well, I interviewed there last week and was highly impressed with what I saw. Like a previous poster stated, the faculty are very passionate about teaching medicine, and the students are supportive and friendly; it seems like a very positive learning environment. Although I'm not sure yet and depending on multiple acceptances from ohio schools, my final decision may be financially motivated. Case is a great school, but I don't know yet if I can justify spending the extra $15k a year to attend over the other state schools.
i just wanted to chime-in in agreement. case is freaking impressive, believe it. there's only two drawbacks in my opinion:

1) the drive from I-90 to case's campus wasn't exactly, er..."flattering" for cleveland. that being said, everyone assured me that both the east and west sides were very nice, its just that downtown in the middle ain't so hot. according to them, case is "in between downtown and the east side".

2) after tuition, books, tech fees, lab fees, etc, case = $39,200 per year!!! 😱 😱 AND the financial aid lady said case was no longer freezing tuition for incoming students (you know, stabilizing it over the four years), so the cost would likely hit the $40,000 mark by the time i'm a second-year. you know, ohio state was pretty nice... 😉
 
superdevil said:
i just wanted to chime-in in agreement. case is freaking impressive, believe it. there's only two drawbacks in my opinion:

1) the drive from I-90 to case's campus wasn't exactly, er..."flattering" for cleveland. that being said, everyone assured me that both the east and west sides were very nice, its just that downtown in the middle ain't so hot. according to them, case is "in between downtown and the east side".

2) after tuition, books, tech fees, lab fees, etc, case = $39,200 per year!!! 😱 😱 AND the financial aid lady said case was no longer freezing tuition for incoming students (you know, stabilizing it over the four years), so the cost would likely hit the $40,000 mark by the time i'm a second-year. you know, ohio state was pretty nice... 😉

One must consider the very very low cost of living in cleveland. If you look at the overall budget, Case is on par with most other schools. We are budgeted about 400/mo for housing and that is more than enough for most people! Compare that to over 1k/mo for NYC/DC area schools. Thats 7k extra per year right there.
 
exmike said:
One must consider the very very low cost of living in cleveland. If you look at the overall budget, Case is on par with most other schools. We are budgeted about 400/mo for housing and that is more than enough for most people! Compare that to over 1k/mo for NYC/DC area schools. Thats 7k extra per year right there.

While that is true exmike, for Ohio applicants that ultimately have to decide between several Ohio schools, it may be a moot point. The cost of living is also very reasonable in Columbus, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc. As DocMizzle said, it then comes down to deciding whether approximately a $15000 difference in tuition is worth it.
 
sandg said:
While that is true exmike, for Ohio applicants that ultimately have to decide between several Ohio schools, it may be a moot point. The cost of living is also very reasonable in Columbus, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc. As DocMizzle said, it then comes down to deciding whether approximately a $15000 difference in tuition is worth it.
$15K annually after 4 years is a decent sized home in a rural area or a bitchen car. Or if you combine the two, one sweet motor home. 👍
 
sandg said:
While that is true exmike, for Ohio applicants that ultimately have to decide between several Ohio schools, it may be a moot point. The cost of living is also very reasonable in Columbus, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc. As DocMizzle said, it then comes down to deciding whether approximately a $15000 difference in tuition is worth it.

i'm not from ohio so i guess that wasnt an issue for me 😛

definitely a more difficult decision for ohio people. About 40 of my classmates (ohio residents) made the choice to come here over the other ohio schools.

Case's financial aid is actually pretty good. I'm the only child in school of a physician and i still got grant money! (did that sentence make sense?)
 
Jason110 said:
For those of you who have already interviewed at UCincy,, did your status page change after you interviewed? If so, what did it say?


Jason

Check out my post from 10/7. If you've interviewed already, what does your status page say?
 
exmike said:
i'm not from ohio so i guess that wasnt an issue for me 😛

definitely a more difficult decision for ohio people. About 40 of my classmates (ohio residents) made the choice to come here over the other ohio schools.

Case's financial aid is actually pretty good. I'm the only child in school of a physician and i still got grant money! (did that sentence make sense?)

That's good to know that Case has good financial aid packages. In any event, I imagine I speak for most posters on this thread in saying I just hope I get in first. Then I'll worry about choosing between multiple acceptances if I'm that lucky.
 
DocMizzle said:
Check out my post from 10/7. If you've interviewed already, what does your status page say?

Mine says exactly the same thing. I doubt they will change anything before Oct. 15.

Jason
 
bumping to see how my fellow Ohioans are doing... any new news?

Jason
 
Jason110 said:
bumping to see how my fellow Ohioans are doing... any new news?

Jason
hey jason,

just had my cincy interview today....hella easy. nice, short day, too!! (only 10AM-1:30PM) had the most useless financial aid presentation yet, though.

as of today my tour of ohio is officially OVER!!! 🙂 i've already been to case, wsu, osu, and uc, but rest assured i'll be hanging around this thread in the coming months.

cheers,
sd
 
Congrats SD, good luck with deciding which school to choose out of the 10 you get accepted to :laugh:
 
Guys, could you please tell me where the "tough questions " thread is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TysonCook said:
Just FYI if you come to interview at UC (especially if you are out of state) they will ask you "Why UC?" and "Why Cincinnati?" (i.e. the city)

Hope all is going well for those on the application trail!
T
WHat if you are from Northern KY. With the reciprocity program, will I still be asked this question??
 
Premedtomed said:
WHat if you are from Northern KY. With the reciprocity program, will I still be asked this question??

If you're interviewing there, you should have an answer to the "why Cincinnati?" question anyway, even if you are considered in-state. There should be a valid reason why you applied there. These types of questions show up at almost every single medical school interview.


Jason
 
Has anyone recently tried accessing their status page at UC??? I'm getting weird mumbo jumbo. It basically spews out every possible outcome of my application.

At least I know what every outcome looks like. 😉
 
Has anyone been rejected by Ohio State yet? Do they let the interviewed people know one way or another on October 15th or does this drag on and on?
 
Jason110 said:
Has anyone recently tried accessing their status page at UC??? I'm getting weird mumbo jumbo. It basically spews out every possible outcome of my application.

At least I know what every outcome looks like. 😉

Nope, just checked it and it says the same "no final decision" as before.

What type of outcomes are you seeing? Just curious...
 
Just wanted to send congrats to those who have heard from OSU and UC today! 👍

I just logged on to UC status page minutes ago and found out I'm in!!!! It's my #1 choice!!!
 
My status page hasn't changed at UC... It is still in the "no final decision has been reached" status. DocMizzle, when did you interview at UC?

Jason
 
Jason110 said:
My status page hasn't changed at UC... It is still in the "no final decision has been reached" status. DocMizzle, when did you interview at UC?

Jason


I remember from an earlier posting that Doc interviewed there on 9/27


GO DOCMIZZLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
TripleDegree said:
I remember from an earlier posting that Doc interviewed there on 9/27


GO DOCMIZZLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


TripleDegree,
You are correct...I interviewed on 9/27. Have you heard from anywhere yet? If I remember correctly, you have interviewed at both UC and OSU. Well, good luck! :luck:
 
DocMizzle said:
TripleDegree,
You are correct...I interviewed on 9/27. Have you heard from anywhere yet? If I remember correctly, you have interviewed at both UC and OSU. Well, good luck! :luck:

Congrats, DM! Now you can drop biochem! 😉
 
Yes, OSU was letting everyone they have already interviewed know today. I got an email at 8:17 am this morning telling me my status had changed...then I went to the site but it was DOWN!!! What a bad time to be having server problems. But I checked about two hours later and found out I was accepted!!!! I am very relieved.
 
got ohio state and wright state accepts today. waiting for UC and case's decisions.

anyone know how long those take?

congrats to all who got the good news today!

sd
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats DocMizzle for getting your #1 choice!

And congrats sd on OSU, I remember you said it was one of your top choices

:clap: :clap: :clap:
 
Congratulations to all the future Ohio MDs here. Best of luck. The hard part is behind you.

Best Regards,

-Salty 👍