Ohio School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DocMizzle said:
I don't think OSU has a specific cutoff, but it'll be tough for you since you are out-of-state. Your research may help, but OSU is very numbers-oriented.

Ohio state apparently prefers to think of itself as "state located" lately, so they are not giving as much preference to state residents.
 
SoulRFlare said:
Ohio state apparently prefers to think of itself as "state located" lately, so they are not giving as much preference to state residents.
true, but they are very numbers-oriented, lately.
 
WHat kind of financial assistance are you guys going to take advantage of to pay for medical school?
Does Ohio offer better choices than other states in general? (I mean all state schools in Ohio)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know when the next batch of case letters is going out?
 
Premedtomed said:
WHat kind of financial assistance are you guys going to take advantage of to pay for medical school?
Does Ohio offer better choices than other states in general? (I mean all state schools in Ohio)
For MS2-4 I will have in-state tuition at MCO. I will pay out-of-state for MS1. Considering living costs also, the total comes out to be about the same as a California school.
 
Every week, before they post that week's activity, Cincy's status page shows all the possible statuses. This freaks me out. Guess I have to just keep hitting the refresh...
 
SoulRFlare said:
Ohio state apparently prefers to think of itself as "state located" lately, so they are not giving as much preference to state residents.

"Not as much preference" is still preference. Just because OSU may now be 60/40 in-state/out-of-state instead of the 75/25 of previous years, OSU still shows preference to in-state applicants; an applicant from Ohio still has a much better chance at acceptance than out-of-state.
 
I have interviews at Case and the Cleveland Clinic coming up... anybody with experience regarding those interviews care to share?

I couldn't find any interview feedback about the Cleveland Clinic program. Does anyone have any thoughts about the interviews there?

Jason
 
liverotcod said:
Every week, before they post that week's activity, Cincy's status page shows all the possible statuses. This freaks me out. Guess I have to just keep hitting the refresh...
your acceptance is coming soon enough, we can all feel it 😉

Originally Posted by Jason110
I have interviews at Case and the Cleveland Clinic coming up... anybody with experience regarding those interviews care to share?
case is sweet, man, so sweet. the interview itself isn't too bad, but case's tour was the first in a bizarre series for me where schools with really nice-looking hospitals wouldn't show their hospital on the tour. what gives? case's university hospital looks really impressive...from the outside. my interview lasted probably 30-40 minutes, lots of questions from stuff on my AMCAS.
 
riven5 said:
Yay, got in to Ohio State today 😀
Congrats! 👍 I'm going to interview there on Monday, so I guess that means I'll find out in December. What did you think of the school?
 
Jason110 said:
I have interviews at Case and the Cleveland Clinic coming up... anybody with experience regarding those interviews care to share?

I couldn't find any interview feedback about the Cleveland Clinic program. Does anyone have any thoughts about the interviews there?

Jason

jason,

i absolutely loved cleveland clinic. the entire day was so professional, there was no downtime, and the lerner research institute is soooooo impressive. the 2 interviews you have at the clinic is conducted by an md and phd. the phd one will ask you about research, so make sure you know your stuff. my other interviewer was the dean, and it was very lax!

the case interview is also lax, but i remember sitting in a waiting room with lots of nervous applicants, and they came and got us one by one. don't let that unnerve you! you'll do fine! 😀 😀
 
junathon....

is there a way to find out who the PhD interviewer will be for CCLCM? or the MD for that matter?
 
superdevil said:
your acceptance is coming soon enough, we can all feel it 😉


case is sweet, man, so sweet. the interview itself isn't too bad, but case's tour was the first in a bizarre series for me where schools with really nice-looking hospitals wouldn't show their hospital on the tour. what gives? case's university hospital looks really impressive...from the outside. my interview lasted probably 30-40 minutes, lots of questions from stuff on my AMCAS.

You should see the inside of UH, its even more pimp.
 
chinkemon said:
junathon....

is there a way to find out who the PhD interviewer will be for CCLCM? or the MD for that matter?


i didn't get the schedule until the morning of the interview. during the tour we actually stopped by my interviewer's lab and he gave us a 15 min talk on his research!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
redrocks said:
Congrats! 👍 I'm going to interview there on Monday, so I guess that means I'll find out in December. What did you think of the school?

They let you know in about 10 business days from the date of your interview! I interviewed on 10/18 and heard today. I liked the school-it has a really big class. Students actually came up to talk to us and wish us luck when they saw us sitting in the hallway, which was nice. Also our tour guides showed us their cadaver in anatomy lab, which (without sounding morbid) was really cool. The interview was pretty laid back but don't be surprised if you get two people interviewing you...they were apparently training new interviewers. Hold that helps-good luck! 🙂
 
redrocks said:
Congrats! 👍 I'm going to interview there on Monday, so I guess that means I'll find out in December. What did you think of the school?

How long did it take for Ohio to let you know that you had an interview since you turned in your secondary? Thanks. Good Luck on your interview!
 
Fellow Ohions...here's to an exciting finish to yet another close election!
 
lis79 said:
How long did it take for Ohio to let you know that you had an interview since you turned in your secondary? Thanks. Good Luck on your interview!
My turnaround was pretty quick, about 2-3 weeks if I remember right. Thanks for the luck, I'll need all I can get :luck: :luck: :luck: , and hope you get an interview there soon!

Thanks Riven for the feedback; I'm excited to see their facilities and to actually hear what my status is. These Texas schools are killing me, we don't hear until February 1 👎 , so getting in to OSU early would be GREAT!
 
Thanks Riven for the feedback; I'm excited to see their facilities and to actually hear what my status is. These Texas schools are killing me, we don't hear until February 1 👎 , so getting in to OSU early would be GREAT![/QUOTE]

No, problem. Good luck and enjoy your free OSU tote bag and waterbottle!
 
Jason110 said:
I have interviews at Case and the Cleveland Clinic coming up... anybody with experience regarding those interviews care to share?

I couldn't find any interview feedback about the Cleveland Clinic program. Does anyone have any thoughts about the interviews there?

Jason

id vouch with junathon....the interview was pretty lax. you will love the environment and the hospital. typical questions such as "tell me about yourself" and "tell me about your reserach." thats all....no big surprises.
 
oh crud. i think i missed the 30 days deadline thing for ohio state. does anyone know how anal they are about deadlines cuz i know some schools dont care.
submitted amcas mid sept. waited for damn august mcat in mid oct = missed deadline by a week or so...ill call the office but does anyone know?
 
caligirl714 said:
oh crud. i think i missed the 30 days deadline thing for ohio state. does anyone know how anal they are about deadlines cuz i know some schools dont care.
submitted amcas mid sept. waited for damn august mcat in mid oct = missed deadline by a week or so...ill call the office but does anyone know?

That's not a big issue. They suggest you to submit with in 30 days. Good luck. 🙂
 
exmike said:
so whats your top pick SD?
its all about financial aid, bro. my pre-med advisor said that historically, people with my profile get very good aid at case, so case is definitely right up there. i also like ohio state, but dartmouth is my "if money was no object" pick, so we'll see. overall, out of case, osu, and dartmouth, i'd be happy as hell at any of them.

any compelling reasons i should pick case? 😉 😀 btw, do you guys in the university program get to do rotations at the cleveland clinic, or is that just for the college program peeps? that might help sway my opinion!
 
superdevil said:
its all about financial aid, bro. my pre-med advisor said that historically, people with my profile get very good aid at case, so case is definitely right up there. i also like ohio state, but dartmouth is my "if money was no object" pick, so we'll see. overall, out of case, osu, and dartmouth, i'd be happy as hell at any of them.

any compelling reasons i should pick case? 😉 😀 btw, do you guys in the university program get to do rotations at the cleveland clinic, or is that just for the college program peeps? that might help sway my opinion!

Yes, the clinic is now one of the teaching hospitals associated with case. Cant wait to do some rotations there!

The other three are the VA, Metro Health, and University Hospitals
 
Anybody else waiting to hear post-interview from MCO? I'm starting to get a little nervous.
 
i'm waiting. they told my interview it would be about 4 weeks i think. tacking on a few days for it to get mailed out, it'll probably be slightly over a month after your interview date.

size_tens said:
Anybody else waiting to hear post-interview from MCO? I'm starting to get a little nervous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh my goodness, my OSU interviewer just CALLED me to congratulate me! How sweet is that?? Gosh, it feels like that school really wants me. I <3 OSU!!!
 
I just got back from a great interview at OSU and II think I might use the water bottle and the bag 😀 . It seemed like a great school, so I can't wait to hear if I get in. The crazy match system in Texas and not hearing until Feb 1 makes me anxious to get an early acceptance somewhere else. Here's hoping!
 
redrocks said:
I just got back from a great interview at OSU and II think I might use the water bottle and the bag 😀 . It seemed like a great school, so I can't wait to hear if I get in. The crazy match system in Texas and not hearing until Feb 1 makes me anxious to get an early acceptance somewhere else. Here's hoping!
I've got my OSU interview tomorrow; it's great to hear that's a fun experience. On another topic, any guesses as to whether UCincinnati will make more offers this week? Based on the acceptance thread, it looks like they were too busy with the election last week.

Fred & Red: good luck!
UCLAStudent: wow, that's very cool.
 
Got accepted to Univ. of Cincinnati.

This is where I wanted to go !

G. Luck to everyone waiting on interviews and decision letters 👍
 
sunUCB said:
i'm waiting. they told my interview it would be about 4 weeks i think. tacking on a few days for it to get mailed out, it'll probably be slightly over a month after your interview date.

Iinterviewed at MCO on 10/4. The letter they sent via snail mail was dated 10/27, so it was in the 3-4 week range.
 
Premedtomed said:
Got accepted to Univ. of Cincinnati.

This is where I wanted to go !

G. Luck to everyone waiting on interviews and decision letters 👍

Congrats! I'm 99% sure I'll be there next year too, as UC is by far my top choice of my acceptances!

BTW, are you from Ohio?
 
Premedtomed said:
Got accepted to Univ. of Cincinnati.

This is where I wanted to go !

G. Luck to everyone waiting on interviews and decision letters 👍
Congrats! I guess that answers my question. But a followup: when did you interview at UCincy?
 
I am a KY resident.

I interviewed about two Mondays back


Interview was held on 10/25/04.
 
I just feel like pulling my hair out!!!!!! 🙁 Today I interviewd at WSU, I had very good interviewers but I blabbered so much and I made some blunders. I was going on and on...... Now, after analysing my inteview, I feel that I could have answered every question in a better way!!!!! Is this a normal feeling or did I really screw up my interview? 🙁 🙁
 
For those if you that are going to interview/interviewed/considering Case, I recommend you watch the streaming videos online about case's new direction and the proposed new curriculum that will start in entering '06.

http://casemed.case.edu/highlights/townmeeting.cfm

Dean Horwitz's 26 minute talk is a good synopsis of the future of the medical school here at Case.
 
they told me 2 weeks, but i heard back in about 4 weeks.

getunconcsious said:
Hey just wondering, how long after the interview at Case Western do they let you know?
 
all of my interviews have gone fine, but after every one i would think of better ways to answer questions and think of activities that i completely forgot to mention, etc....i think it's normal to find faults in your answers post-interview, just try not to keep thinking about it....chances are the interviewer liked what you said, you never know

ravi said:
I just feel like pulling my hair out!!!!!! 🙁 Today I interviewd at WSU, I had very good interviewers but I blabbered so much and I made some blunders. I was going on and on...... Now, after analysing my inteview, I feel that I could have answered every question in a better way!!!!! Is this a normal feeling or did I really screw up my interview? 🙁 🙁
 
sunUCB said:
all of my interviews have gone fine, but after every one i would think of better ways to answer questions and think of activities that i completely forgot to mention, etc....i think it's normal to find faults in your answers post-interview, just try not to keep thinking about it....chances are the interviewer liked what you said, you never know

Thank you.Hopefully that is the case with me too. This is my first interview, so I guess this experience will help me in the next interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, i may be behind in the game, but I haven't heard at all from OSU. do you think most of the interview invitations have been sent out?
 
I didn't hear from OSU today. Maybe tomorrow. The status page says you get a decision "around 10 business days" from the day of the interview... I was counting from the day my status last changed. So that means today was actually day 11, tomorrow being day 12.

That's still a fast turnaround, but man, my metabolic rate doubles every time I open my email...
 
UseUrHeadFred said:
I didn't hear from OSU today. Maybe tomorrow. The status page says you get a decision "around 10 business days" from the day of the interview... I was counting from the day my status last changed. So that means today was actually day 11, tomorrow being day 12.

That's still a fast turnaround, but man, my metabolic rate doubles every time I open my email...

Starting with the day after my interview as day 1, I heard back 12 days afterwards, so don't worry. I'm sure you'll hear soon! Good luck!
 
getunconcsious said:
Hey just wondering, how long after the interview at Case Western do they let you know?

Less than 2 weeks, but I think I interviewed right before one of their committee meetings.