Ohio State Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how the Ohio State ADCOM is with Out-of-state residents? I applied there, but I am a little confused on how many they really do accept. I've received their secondary now, but am debating whether or not to continue with them if they really don't accept many out-of-staters. Please advise!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just up there today, and they are plenty receptive to out-of-state applicants. They probably hold us to slightly higher standards, but they definitely review and interview and accept plenty of us. Plus, they give you in-state tuition after the 1st year, which makes it a lot cheaper than any private school.

I was very impressed, actually, by Ohio State - they're building a brand-new heart hospital and seem to have finally gotten the curriculum right...the facilities could use an upgrade, but they're not noticeably different than others schools at their level.

Here's the out-of-state statistics from Ohio State last year:

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
1,944 284 158 50

Thanks xaelia,

That was just the encouragement I needed to finish this secondary (2 - 500 word essays, but you already know that). It sounds like you enjoyed your visit to OSU. Please leave some feedback in Interview Feedback for us slower applicants . . . I mean . . . future interviewers! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OSU is awesome! I want to stay here for med school with all my heart. Go Bucks!

When I applied 4 years ago, they were accepting around 20% out-of-state. As far as state schools go, that's pretty liberal. I was really impressed with the school and city. Good luck to you.

i know lots lots med student in osu who are from cali., mostly berkeley. in fact, i only know one med student who is not from cali. lol. i think osu does accept a relatively larger proportion of out-state students.

yes, they are building a new heart hospital and a new physic research facility. columbus is really a great city. it's big enough for most of city-life you would imagine. it has many good clubs and great great restaurant. it lacks however, a prof. football/baseball team. you got the buckeye in return, what else would u need anyway? go bucks!

three tenors are coming on jan. 5th. in local theatre there is going to be a serie of broadway show include Les Mes, AIDA, 42th st., jesus christ super star, beauty and beast... lots famous show. (though it's rather rare.)

the airport is a middle size intl. airport. you basically need to fly to near-by hub such as detroit or chicago, but it means you don't need to arrive at airport 2 hours before departure, nor worries about crazy congestion in big airport.

osu campus is 4 miles north of downtown, so it's still quite in the city. i wouldn't say it has "scene" like harvard or UVa or even stanford, it's more along the line of nyu or BU. Campus is a lil too big to walk, winter is a bit too cold to live. (well, if you are from the south.)

i love their problem base program, but of course have other choices. all in all, osu is a great school to consider. this year buckeye is right now the only team in big ten conference never lost a game yet!

by the way, the new admission director of osu adcom says that, he is going to send out secondary to EVERY SINGLE applicant no matter how low ur stat is or what state u come from. he says that he think everyone deserve an equal chance. i think he just wants our $$. I am not totally sure the extend of this piece of information, just keep in mind.

more to say about columbus, the house and living standard is CHEAP!!! compares to any other large citiy.

it's has the benefit of a big city, yet not the trouble of one such as terroist attack or sniper shooting.

there is a greyhound station, however no amtrak station. all maj. airlines serve cmh.