Ohio State MEDPATH 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aphios5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll start this one off...I received the invite via the status update page the other week...filled it out, sent it in, very happy to be under consideration...anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Umm.what r u stats if u don't mind? And when were u complete? I've been complete for atleast 2 weeks and haven't heard a peep

I guess I'll start this one off...I received the invite via the status update page the other week...filled it out, sent it in, very happy to be under consideration...anyone else?

just got an invitation to complete the post bac application today. very excited!! I wonder if they start interviewing pretty soon or wait until next year. I guess they take only 15 students..

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm.what r u stats if u don't mind? And when were u complete? I've been complete for atleast 2 weeks and haven't heard a peep

Hey there, if you really want my stats try to pm me. I was complete 07/02 and notified early September so don't panic just yet...:)

just got an invitation to complete the post bac application today. very excited!! I wonder if they start interviewing pretty soon or wait until next year. I guess they take only 15 students..

Who-hoo! Glad to see someone else who is excited as well. From what I've read potential interviewees are notified in March and interviewed in April, so there is still quite a bit of time to stew until then. Yup, only 15...:xf:

Hey there, if you really want my stats try to pm me. I was complete 07/02 and notified early September so don't panic just yet...:)

Who-hoo! Glad to see someone else who is excited as well. From what I've read potential interviewees are notified in March and interviewed in April, so there is still quite a bit of time to stew until then. Yup, only 15...:xf:

Yes I did call and they said interview is in April. Wow long time to wait! good luck to all who are considering medpath..

do you all know exactly how the program works? is it 1 yr and direct admit with certain scores or what?

do you all know exactly how the program works? is it 1 yr and direct admit with certain scores or what?

yes i think that is a good thing to know. i've read somwhere here on SDN that your GPA on the program is dependent on your mcat score, i.e if you complete their program with 3.0, you will need 24, or if you have 3.4, you need like 20. Not so sure if it is true. anybody here knows?

I think they invite 30 students for interview. 15 will be accepted; the other 15 will be "alternatives".

ok so i finally got an offer to apply to the post bacc..i wonder how many applications they get a year for the program.... for some reason even though i got the opportunity to apply to the post bacc.. the md rejection still stings

sorry for my ignorance, but I just found out about this program. Do you apply to the program and they offer you an invitation to apply? or do you apply to the medical school for regular MD admission and upon interview and getting your results back, they reject you but offer you an opportunity to apply for their MEDPATH program?

sorry for my ignorance, but I just found out about this program. Do you apply to the program and they offer you an invitation to apply? or do you apply to the medical school for regular MD admission and upon interview and getting your results back, they reject you but offer you an opportunity to apply for their MEDPATH program?

you apply via amcas to OSU school of medicine..basically the regular MD app route....fill out their 2ndary.. and all that.. then ur status will change to "post bacc consideration" if ur rejected for md but offered a chance at the post bacc..u cant apply directly

As found at: http://medicine.osu.edu/students/financial_services/Pages/MedPath.aspx

Many students who apply and are accepted into the program are awarded a full-tuition and fees scholarship. All students interested in the MEDPATH Program must first apply to the Ohio State University College of Medicine (COM) through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) by the November 1st deadline.
Those students who meet the minimum criteria for the MEDPATH Program will be referred for consideration by the COM Admissions Committee. Once referred by the Admissions Committee, potential MEDPATH participants will be sent a letter and application form directly from the MEDPATH Program.
In order to be considered for scholarship funding, it is strongly encouraged that you apply by the deadline noted on the MEDPATH application form. Those students who apply for MEDPATH by the established deadline will receive a letter a few weeks after applying notifying them of their eligibility for scholarship funding.

thanks for the info. does anyone know what the average stats are for people getting into the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info. does anyone know what the average stats are for people getting into the program?

according to the person I spoke with at the MEDPATH office, the average MCAT year before last year was 22, and last year was 23. I did not ask the GPA. But she said, everybody has to retake the MCAT and get at least overall 24 (they don't care about the score on each section as long as it adds up to 24).

according to the person I spoke with at the MEDPATH office, the average MCAT year before last year was 22, and last year was 23. I did not ask the GPA. But she said, everybody has to retake the MCAT and get at least overall 24 (they don't care about the score on each section as long as it adds up to 24).

Ok I see... what if I have above a 24 already? Do I have to retake? It would suck to have to retake and make below that score the 2nd time

Ok I see... what if I have above a 24 already? Do I have to retake? It would suck to have to retake and make below that score the 2nd time

I am not sure about that since I didn't ask about it. But my impression is that they are really geared towards low MCAT/low GPA and that if you already have 24 and above, you might be fully considered for the regular MD admissions instead. Have you tried submitting your AMCAS application to them yet?

I am not sure about that since I didn't ask about it. But my impression is that they are really geared towards low MCAT/low GPA and that if you already have 24 and above, you might be fully considered for the regular MD admissions instead. Have you tried submitting your AMCAS application to them yet?

So do you think someone with a 3.0 and 30 mcat would not be a prime candidate for their program?

I sent Ms. Radcliffe an email, and she responded with the stats...

The minimum MCAT score considered by both the College of Medicine and MEDPATH is a 17. However, the average score of past MEDPATH classes has been a 22 with a 3.12 GPA.

Nikki Radcliffe
Associate Director, MEDPATH

Last edited:
I sent Ms. Radcliffe an email, and she responded with the stats...

The minimum MCAT score considered by both the College of Medicine and MEDPATH is a 17. However, the average score of past MEDPATH classes has been a 22 with a 3.12 GPA.

Nikki Radcliffe
Associate Director, MEDPATH

this is good and not good.. I have a 2.78 gpa.. but my mcat is above the 22 and the 24 they require in the program.... so hopefully that will offset that gpa..

Well thanks for sharing your stat. Yes it looks like your higher MCAT score does offset your GPA. Good luck on that one. Have you submitted the secondary yet? I haven't yet. It looks like the deadline will be next year and they will wait for all the applications to come before they do final review. So does not matter at all if you submit early or last minute. Anyone else applying to this program?

Well thanks for sharing your stat. Yes it looks like your higher MCAT score does offset your GPA. Good luck on that one. Have you submitted the secondary yet? I haven't yet. It looks like the deadline will be next year and they will wait for all the applications to come before they do final review. So does not matter at all if you submit early or last minute. Anyone else applying to this program?

Yeah it just says those that apply by the deadline usually receive scholarships.. so I guess it doesn't matter til then.. and I haven't submitted yet.. prolly wait a few weeks... to get it right..I'm scared to ask her if it is advantageous to apply with my gpa.. lol.. I wonder how many <3.0 they accept..

i just barely made the cutoff for the gpa.. since u just have to have a 3.0 in one of the 3 gpas.. AO, BCPM or overall.. and i only have a 3.0+ in AO..lol 3.03..

Well the good news is that at least you have high MCAT score. Hey, what other schools are you applying? I am trying my luck with George Washington. They have a 5-year decelerated program which is for people who have not-so-stellar stats like us but have "other" great "qualifications". Are you also doing the Georgetown GEMS Program? I wanted to apply to that but they require US citizenship which I don't have.

Well the good news is that at least you have high MCAT score. Hey, what other schools are you applying? I am trying my luck with George Washington. They have a 5-year decelerated program which is for people who have not-so-stellar stats like us but have "other" great "qualifications". Are you also doing the Georgetown GEMS Program? I wanted to apply to that but they require US citizenship which I don't have.

Umm...well I tried my luck with 23 schools and so far@no luck..lol..I might have to gw to my list..

Does anyone if medpath application require more recommendation letters beside the once submitted with amcas?

Does anyone if medpath application require more recommendation letters beside the once submitted with amcas?

Good question...I looked through some of the previous year's MEDPATH threads and there is no mention of this.

From here it appears that sometime down the line we will get an invitation for an actual interview or a rejection notice...?

In one of the posts I read it states that after the actual interview half of the interviewed candidates will be accepted and the other half will become alternates. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Good question...I looked through some of the previous year's MEDPATH threads and there is no mention of this.

From here it appears that sometime down the line we will get an invitation for an actual interview or a rejection notice...?

In one of the posts I read it states that after the actual interview half of the interviewed candidates will be accepted and the other half will become alternates. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

that was what I read too. 30 people will be interviewed. and out of those 30, 15 will be accepted, and the rest will be alternates or on the "waiting list". but i wonder how many of those alternates actually get in. therefore getting an interview is still a good indication.

i read on the website that you need to submit an AMCAS application by November 1st. Just to make sure I am correct, does this mean that I send in my primary by November 1st, and can submit my secondary to them by January 1st (like normal?) or does the secondary need to be received by OSU by November 1st in order to be considered for Medpath. Also, when do you need to submit the application to be eligible for the scholarship that I have heard about?

i read on the website that you need to submit an AMCAS application by November 1st. Just to make sure I am correct, does this mean that I send in my primary by November 1st, and can submit my secondary to them by January 1st (like normal?) or does the secondary need to be received by OSU by November 1st in order to be considered for Medpath. Also, when do you need to submit the application to be eligible for the scholarship that I have heard about?

Hi there, you are correct....AMCAS (primary) is due by November 1st...Ohio State's Secondary application is due by January 1st....however, if invited to apply, the MEDPATH application states that their application is due by February 12th, 2010....In order to be considered for MEDPATH scholarship funding, you should probably submit the application before the MEDPATH application deadline...please somebody correct me if I'm wrong...hope this helps.:thumbup:

Does anyone know the program's ethnicity statistics? How many non-minority students do they accept on average?

Does anyone know the program's ethnicity statistics? How many non-minority students do they accept on average?

About a year ago, there was a paper published about pre/post CQI changes implemented within the program during 2003 or so ...Journal of the National Medical Association, I believe...contains the ethnicity stats your looking for...if I rummage through my files and find it, I'll let you know.

...on second thought, you could call Ms. Radcliffe at MEDPATH and ask her...she's really nice. I'll be traveling for the next couple of weeks and will not have time to sort through the black abyss that is my filing cabinet...:p

Hi guys,
I'm a current MEDPATH student. Feel free to email me with any questions.

bunky21207 at gmail dot com

Did you guys type directly into the application or did you attach sheets to it?

Do you guys know how many students got invited to apply to MEDPATH?

Ok thanks for that...I'm so nervous!!! I hope we at least get invited for an interview!!!
I've heard that about 100 are invited to apply, about 30 are invited to interview, and 15 are selected to matriculate....

did you guys cut and paste for the background part, career goals from your AMCAS or did you change it? I was thinking of using the same and adding a few new things...

:)...i share your anticipation...:xf:

did you guys cut and paste for the background part, career goals from your AMCAS or did you change it? I was thinking of using the same and adding a few new things...

...although the subjects were in a similar vein, i changed everything, created all new prose...I wanted to make sure that I brought something new to this application...

Last edited:
What do they mean by "your role in your family?"

What do they mean by "your role in your family?"

...were you the caretaker?....were you the enabler?...were you the glue that held your family together?...the peacemaker?....or maybe the trouble-maker until you turned from your evil ways?....lol...hope this helps.

I have been complete since 10/23/09. My status has remained the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Application Status

Your current status is: AMCAS Application Received
View your status details.
Secondary application Received
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have received an invitation for neither MedPath nor regular admissions interview. Realistically, what are my current chances at getting an invitation for one of the above? For those who have already received correspondence from the program, when did you submit your secondary applications? Have they sent out pre-interview rejection notifications yet?

I have been complete since 10/23/09. My status has remained the following:

Application Status

Your current status is: AMCAS Application Received
View your status details.
Secondary application Received

I have received an invitation for neither MedPath nor regular admissions interview. Realistically, what are my current chances at getting an invitation for one of the above? For those who have already received correspondence from the program, when did you submit your secondary applications? Have they sent out pre-interview rejection notifications yet?

I can't remember exactly when all these dates occured. I was AMCAS complete on 9/17 ish and I'm sure I submitted my 2ndary by end if sept. maybe. My MD app was closed and my status was then changed to post bacc consideration around the first week of OCT. I am not exactly sure what theyre screening process entails and if they have a cutoff on how many apps they consider for their post bacc program. Im guessing if they havent rejected you then you probably still have a shot at gaining a direct acceptance.

I can't remember exactly when all these dates occured. I was AMCAS complete on 9/17 ish and I'm sure I submitted my 2ndary by end if sept. maybe. My MD app was closed and my status was then changed to post bacc consideration around the first week of OCT. I am not exactly sure what theyre screening process entails and if they have a cutoff on how many apps they consider for their post bacc program. Im guessing if they havent rejected you then you probably still have a shot at gaining a direct acceptance.

They're already scheduling interviews into mid-March, so I'm afraid my chances for regular admissions are slim. If they have rejected me pre-interview and don't consider me a candidate for MedPath, will they notify me immediately (of both rejections) or wait until the end of the application season to do so? Do you know the cutoff date for sending out MedPath invitations (January, maybe)?

Best wishes with your own applications!

They're already scheduling interviews into mid-March, so I'm afraid my chances for regular admissions are slim. If they have rejected me pre-interview and don't consider me a candidate for MedPath, will they notify me immediately (of both rejections) or wait until the end of the application season to do so? Do you know the cutoff date for sending out MedPath invitations (January, maybe)?

Best wishes with your own applications!

i am def not well informed enough to answer that question..sorry... have you heard anything recently?

i am def not well informed enough to answer that question..sorry... have you heard anything recently?

Nope... My status has remained the same. I'm pretty sure that I have been "axed" for regular admissions and hope that the same hasn't also happened for MedPath. I am trying not to panic (with the increasingly grim picture) while praying for the best.

has anyone received any invitations to apply to the medpath program lately? (post when you completed secondary and when you were invited to apply to medpath please!).

just seeing if they were still inviting people and if anyone has received an interview yet?

Could someone please post the essay question(s) for the MedPath program, so I could prepare responses in case I should be so lucky as to receive an invitation to submit a secondary application for the program?

Thank you in advance!