Ohio State MEDPATH 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you received a reminder e-mail telling you to submit your application before the due date? I submitted my application already (about 4 months ago) and received an e-mail confirming the receipt of my application. Was this e-mail sent to everyone who received an invite to apply to MEDPATH?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Have you received a reminder e-mail telling you to submit your application before the due date? I submitted my application already (about 4 months ago) and received an e-mail confirming the receipt of my application. Was this e-mail sent to everyone who received an invite to apply to MEDPATH?? :confused:

No, I haven't recieved any reminder....I received a confirmation that my application and fee were received in middle September 2009. If you received that today, calling/emailing Nikki Radcliffe might not be a bad idea, you know, just to make sure all is well.

Thanks for your reply! I will send an email. I received a confirmation e-mail too, but then a few days ago received this reminder e-mail... :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we are all anxiously awaiting???
im about to give myself an ingrown nail from biting on my nails too much...anxious, nothing else!!

has anyone received any invitations to apply to the medpath program lately? (post when you completed secondary and when you were invited to apply to medpath please!).

just seeing if they were still inviting people and if anyone has received an interview yet?

I, too, would appreciate this information.

I, too, would appreciate this information.

I am not sure if they are still giving out invitation to apply to med path, but i know for sure that interview offers are not going to begin till early march. Hope that helps. good luck!!

I am not sure if they are still giving out invitation to apply to med path, but i know for sure that interview offers are not going to begin till early march. Hope that helps. good luck!!

Thank you.

When was your secondary application complete and when did you receive the invitation to apply for MedPath? Has anyone received an invitation to apply recently?

Thank you.

When was your secondary application complete and when did you receive the invitation to apply for MedPath? Has anyone received an invitation to apply recently?

my secondary was complete in october, received invitation in November.. They were pretty quick about replying back.

my secondary was complete in october, received invitation in November.. They were pretty quick about replying back.

Thanks for the info, Hania.

Eek! That doesn't sound good for me, then. I submitted my application during the end of October and my status still remains "Application Received."

I would appreciate if others could provide information pertaining to when their applications were complete and when they received invitations to apply for MedPath.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't tell from the rest of the posts on here which way the process goes.

Did your MEDSTAR file go from Secondary Application Received -> File Closed -> PostBac Consideration?

Or from Secondary Application -> PostBac Consideration?

If anyone could clarify that would be excellent.

I can't tell from the rest of the posts on here which way the process goes.

Did your MEDSTAR file go from Secondary Application Received -> File Closed -> PostBac Consideration?

Or from Secondary Application -> PostBac Consideration?

If anyone could clarify that would be excellent.

Mine went --> Secondary Application Received -> File Closed -> PostBac Consideration

they move pretty fast, I think it took them about two weeks after my application was complete to change my status to Post-bacc consideration. So if you have not heard anything.. they might consider you for regular admissions...:thumbup: Good Luck :luck:

Awesome!

My status is File Closed, so I thought maybe they wouldn't even consider me for post bac. So I was mulling over it this morning and considering calling and pouring my heart out, but you gave me hope that I might still have a chance. I would LOVE a chance!

Good luck, everyone!!

Awesome!

My status is File Closed, so I thought maybe they wouldn't even consider me for post bac. So I was mulling over it this morning and considering calling and pouring my heart out, but you gave me hope that I might still have a chance. I would LOVE a chance!

Good luck, everyone!!

Can I ask when your application was complete and when your status changed to "File Closed?" My application status still remains "Application Received."

I'd say that works in your favor! You might still get an interview!

I was complete 01/04 and my file closed today. I'm still a little bit worried about whether I might actually be considered for MEDPATH since someone posted earlier that the deadline for the program application is mid February and Tortue said it took two weeks to be considered for postbac. I guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed.:xf:

I'd say that works in your favor! You might still get an interview!

I was complete 01/04 and my file closed today. I'm still a little bit worried about whether I might actually be considered for MEDPATH since someone posted earlier that the deadline for the program application is mid February and Tortue said it took two weeks to be considered for postbac. I guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed.:xf:

Thanks for the info. I sure hope that I still have a chance at an interview or MedPath. Keep me/us posted on your progress -- I'll do the same.

Best wishes and good luck!

Just a friendly fyi - currently, my status reads:

Your current status is: M.D. Application Closed; Postbac Consideration

I don't remember it ever saying "File Closed" and nothing else...

If I were in a similar situation with the deadline for apps being so close, I may be so inclined to give a call, but hey, that's just me...lol.

ive been working on th for a while now.. a few months. I am really having trouble trying to figure out what to say and how to explain things. the questions are not the typical ones that ive been answering this app season. So from anyone who knows, does it matter if I dont think i would benefit from repeating any premed courses? the circumstances from college wont be the same as in med school/post bacc because I wont work full time. Also some of the questions are similar, and it seems as if im rehashing my ps the whole time.

If anyone knows how i should really go about this it would greatly be appreciated.

If I were in a similar situation with the deadline for apps being so close, I may be so inclined to give a call, but hey, that's just me...lol.

It's friendly, but you're killing me!! :scared:

I will call, though. Thanks for the heads up.

Question for anyone and everyone: Did you list yourself as underrepresented or disadvantaged? Or both? Or did they just look at your app, notice something that would indicate that you're one or the other, and then put you up for consideration?

ive been working on th for a while now.. a few months. I am really having trouble trying to figure out what to say and how to explain things. the questions are not the typical ones that ive been answering this app season. So from anyone who knows, does it matter if I dont think i would benefit from repeating any premed courses? the circumstances from college wont be the same as in med school/post bacc because I wont work full time. Also some of the questions are similar, and it seems as if im rehashing my ps the whole time.

If anyone knows how i should really go about this it would greatly be appreciated.

Could you share the questions they're asking? To give you a response, I would like to sense why they're asking you this question when the MedPath curriculum excludes pre-med classes.

Could you share the questions they're asking? To give you a response, I would like to sense why they're asking you this question when the MedPath curriculum excludes pre-med classes.

questions are..

1. How many schools did you attend between grades 1 and 12? If you changed schools often, what were the
reasons?

2. If you worked during the academic year while you attended an undergraduate school please indicate the
approximate hours/week

3. Please describe how you prepared for the MCAT. Include information on the amount of time spent
preparing and whether you took a commercial course or created your own program. If you took a
commercial course, please provide the name of the company.

4. The Postbaccalaureate Program is designed for underrepresented minority students and/or students from
disadvantaged backgrounds. A disadvantaged background is defined as one which has economic and/or
educational factors that have limited a student's ability to perform at his/her maximal potential. Please
indicate any factors or events in your background which would meet either or both of these criteria.

5. Please list three things that you are proud of having done:

6. In a personal crisis who would you turn to for support and why? In an academic crisis who or where
would you go for help?

7. Describe any employment or volunteer work that you have done in the health care field. Explain how
these experiences have influenced your career goals.

8. Many post baccalaureate programs have students repeat some of the basic premedical requirements to
assure that students have a sound academic background. Do you think that you would benefit if some
basic premedical school requirements were repeated? Why or why not?

9. In the space provided, type or write an essay describing your background, goals, motivation, health career
interests, and reasons for wanting to participate in the Postbaccalaureate Program.

10. (this was really like #2 but i forgot it and dont feel like renumbering :oops:) Describe the high school(s) that you attended. What programs helped to prepare you for college?

Question for anyone and everyone: Did you list yourself as underrepresented or disadvantaged? Or both? Or did they just look at your app, notice something that would indicate that you're one or the other, and then put you up for consideration?

No problem...good luck:thumbup:

questions are..

1. ...QUOTE]

Hmm, I didn't find these questions hard to formulate an answer to at all...they were pretty straight forward, I thought, as compared to OSU secondary app...my advice is to not think about it so hard...:p

questions are..

1. ...QUOTE]

Hmm, I didn't find these questions hard to formulate an answer to at all...they were pretty straight forward, I thought, as compared to OSU secondary app...my advice is to not think about it so hard...:p

yeah i mean...the problems are..hmm..maybe i have mental block.. i can really only think of one thing that ive done that im proud of.. everything else just seems regular.. and who do i see for personal or academic crises? no one..i just figure things out on my own.. i always have..my parents are not much help and have never been..so ive been pretty much groomed to take care of things on my own.. so maybe its because id ont have answers for a lot of these questions.. and then i feel like questions ive labeled #4 and #9.. are answered in my PS with the exception of reasons for wanting to do the post bacc.. so i dont know if its wise to basically restate my PS to the format of the questions... those are my issues basically

yeah i mean...the problems are..hmm..maybe i have mental block.. i can really only think of one thing that ive done that im proud of.. everything else just seems regular.. and who do i see for personal or academic crises? no one..i just figure things out on my own.. i always have..my parents are not much help and have never been..so ive been pretty much groomed to take care of things on my own.. so maybe its because id ont have answers for a lot of these questions.. and then i feel like questions ive labeled #4 and #9.. are answered in my PS with the exception of reasons for wanting to do the post bacc.. so i dont know if its wise to basically restate my PS to the format of the questions... those are my issues basically

1. Shouldn't be a problem.
2. Shouldn't be a problem.
3. Shouldn't be a problem.
4. Rehash it, re-word it, don't worry about it.
5. It doesn't matter if you think it's "regular." It matters that it's special enough to you. I'm proud of having gone cross-country for college. Plenty of people do it, but it doesn't make me any less proud of the fact that I MYSELF did it. You've got to find the special things about yourself, else you're just telling yourself and the MEDPATH committee that you're not special enough to be considered.
6. As far as academic and personal crises, if you really feel that you can't or don't have to rely on anyone, then you're going to have to speak in terms of hypotheticals. And then you're going to have to realize that you are going to need to find both of these support systems in medical school because college was hard enough; medical school is going to be ridonculous, even without the full-time work and with the full-time devotion to school.
7. Not too bad.
8. Some of the classes offered are repeats for some people. Biochemistry? I took it. Microbiology? Genetics? Anatomy? Physiology? People took them. If you wouldn't benefit, be honest.
9. Make it specific to the post bacc program. If you only applied to OSU, then try to re-word (every great piece of writing has room for improvement). If you applied to multiple schools, then you couldn't have written specifically for MEDPATH and this can be your chance to let the committee know why you want/need MEDPATH.
10. Should be do-able.

Crank it out! You now have DAYS to get it done.

I second that!! My application always said until now MD APPLICATION CLOSED; POSTBAC CONSIDERATION.

you are thinking about it way too hard; just answer the question the best you can. if you depend on yourself for personal and academic crisis and you have no one else to depend on than tell them that. That should a plus for you. " i just figure things out on my own.. i always have..my parents are not much help and have never been..so ive been pretty much groomed to take care of things on my own." I think this is a good answer if you fix the sentences.
dont make it too complicated and GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

In the AMCAS application you are asked if you consider yourself disadvantaged/underrepresented.

Yeah, looking back now I don't know why I asked that question.

Anyway, I'm officially out of this one. I got through to someone who re-iterated that the deadline is next Friday, and who stated that you would have to be referred to MEDPATH before your file was closed. This has got to royally suck for those people who specifically applied to OSU just to apply to the post bac program. Maybe I missed something, but there's no way to even expressly state on your AMCAS or secondary that you are strictly interested in the program, since you have to go through the motions of applying to the MD program and you have to get referred. So I get rejected from the MD program, and MEDPATH all in one fell swoop. :cry:

Oh well, I wish you all luck with MEDPATH! Knock 'em dead!:luck:

Anyway, I'm officially out of this one. I got through to someone who re-iterated that the deadline is next Friday, and who stated that you would have to be referred to MEDPATH before your file was closed. This has got to royally suck for those people who specifically applied to OSU just to apply to the post bac program. Maybe I missed something, but there's no way to even expressly state on your AMCAS or secondary that you are strictly interested in the program, since you have to go through the motions of applying to the MD program and you have to get referred. So I get rejected from the MD program, and MEDPATH all in one fell swoop. :cry:

I'm sorry to hear that. I am wondering if I should call them when my status still shows Secondary Application "Received" since the deadline is quickly approaching. I noticed that your postings on the Wake Forest Post Bac program forum -- good luck with the application and if I'm lucky enough to be granted an interview for their program, maybe I'll see you in Winston-Salem.

I'm sorry to hear that. I am wondering if I should call them when my status still shows Secondary Application "Received" since the deadline is quickly approaching. I noticed that your postings on the Wake Forest Post Bac program forum -- good luck with the application and if I'm lucky enough to be granted an interview for their program, maybe I'll see you in Winston-Salem.

...I'm sorry to hear as well. :(

...but where one door closes, another door opens, you just have to find it! Good luck to you as well...;)

I'm sorry to hear that... :(...Good Luck!! :luck::oops:

Has anyone recently (within the past month) received an invitation to apply for the MedPath program? My application status still remains "Secondary Application Received." I'm growing a bit worried as the application deadline is quickly approaching.

Has anyone recently (within the past month) received an invitation to apply for the MedPath program? My application status still remains "Secondary Application Received." I'm growing a bit worried as the application deadline is quickly approaching.

I know I said I'm out, but CALL!! Call Monday! Call early! If all you want is post-bac consideration, let them know that. They may be able to accomodate you. :luck:

I just got an invite for the MedPath program last week. However, I do have a question, how long should each essay answer be? Any input will be greatly appreciated since the essay needs to be postmarked before Friday, Feb. 12, 2010.

I just got an invite for the MedPath program last week. However, I do have a question, how long should each essay answer be? Any input will be greatly appreciated since the essay needs to be postmarked before Friday, Feb. 12, 2010.

Yikes! They don't give you a "maximum characters/words" allowed? I would be just as lost as you are unless they omitted the criteria because there is no limit. You should call to ask -- doing what they ask is never a bad rule. If it is indeed unlimited, I would use the the secondary application limits from other schools as a guide: 1000-1500 characters or 250 word-ish to respect the reviewer's/reviewers' time(s) since there are so many questions asked.

The admissions office has closed the majority of applications, leaving a select few hundred to re-review for remaining interview spots and MedPath candidature. For those whose statuses are still "Secondary Application Received," the office should notify us of their decisions by March...

The application is in pdf form, if my memory serves correct, and hence possible manipulation of the page spacing is minimal. I wrote as much as I could in the white space provided...

The application is in pdf form, if my memory serves correct, and hence possible manipulation of the page spacing is minimal. I wrote as much as I could in the white space provided...

I wasn't aware that the application was in PDF form. I would have done the same if I had the application or at least filled out 2/3-3/4 of the space allotted.

I wasn't aware that the application was in PDF form. I would have done the same if I had the application or at least filled out 2/3-3/4 of the space allotted.

Thanks guys for the response. How did you guys manipulate the pdf version to be able to type in the responses to each essay question? I am done with the essays but manipulating the pdf formatting is frustrating me. Your input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys for the response. How did you guys manipulate the pdf version to be able to type in the responses to each essay question? I am done with the essays but manipulating the pdf formatting is frustrating me. Your input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

If the form does not already have a text designated section (usually, whoever created the form should have created an option for you to freely type in the box), you can insert a text box using Adobe Acrobat. I know for sure you can do it using the Professional version, but am uncertain regarding the free version. I am not sure if Preview has the capability to add text boxes in case you're a Mac user -- at least, not when I checked on my own computer.

Anyone correct me if I have disseminated the wrong information.

I hope this helps.

The waiting is killing me...when are we suppossed to be notified if we were invited for an interview?

Nevermind..just saw Nikki's email..early March..

If the form does not already have a text designated section (usually, whoever created the form should have created an option for you to freely type in the box), you can insert a text box using Adobe Acrobat. I know for sure you can do it using the Professional version, but am uncertain regarding the free version. I am not sure if Preview has the capability to add text boxes in case you're a Mac user -- at least, not when I checked on my own computer.

Anyone correct me if I have disseminated the wrong information.

I hope this helps.

+1...I used Adobe Acrobat to add text boxes and such.

1. Shouldn't be a problem.
2. Shouldn't be a problem.
3. Shouldn't be a problem.
4. Rehash it, re-word it, don't worry about it.
5. It doesn't matter if you think it's "regular." It matters that it's special enough to you. I'm proud of having gone cross-country for college. Plenty of people do it, but it doesn't make me any less proud of the fact that I MYSELF did it. You've got to find the special things about yourself, else you're just telling yourself and the MEDPATH committee that you're not special enough to be considered.
6. As far as academic and personal crises, if you really feel that you can't or don't have to rely on anyone, then you're going to have to speak in terms of hypotheticals. And then you're going to have to realize that you are going to need to find both of these support systems in medical school because college was hard enough; medical school is going to be ridonculous, even without the full-time work and with the full-time devotion to school.
7. Not too bad.
8. Some of the classes offered are repeats for some people. Biochemistry? I took it. Microbiology? Genetics? Anatomy? Physiology? People took them. If you wouldn't benefit, be honest.
9. Make it specific to the post bacc program. If you only applied to OSU, then try to re-word (every great piece of writing has room for improvement). If you applied to multiple schools, then you couldn't have written specifically for MEDPATH and this can be your chance to let the committee know why you want/need MEDPATH.
10. Should be do-able.

Crank it out! You now have DAYS to get it done.

well i cranked it out and sent it one day express yesterday.. they shouldve gotten it before noon today... i still think overall the questions were so intermixed that it was very difficult to answer all of them without being a broken record..i am satisfied with the job i did ... hopefully we will hear something soon!

finally mailed this bad boy off...I was holding off in case I got accepted to another school before hand but alas i was waitlisted :( so I sent it overnight, hopefully it got there. Soooo...how long to we hear about possible interviews?

finally mailed this bad boy off...I was holding off in case I got accepted to another school before hand but alas i was waitlisted :( so I sent it overnight, hopefully it got there. Soooo...how long to we hear about possible interviews?

According to the MEDPATH 2009 posts, that group began receiving their rejections/invitations to interview around the middle of March...:luck:

According to the MEDPATH 2009 posts, that group began receiving their rejections/invitations to interview around the middle of March...:luck:

I know this thread is for MEDPATH, but did anybody apply to Creighton's post bac?

yikes..interview invite! April 12!