Ohio State out of state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catcrazy

Ohio State Class of '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about an automatic first year scholarship or tuition break for out of state students attending OSU? The tuition there now stands at $49,500/year! From looking at postings on the forum from last cycle it looks as though out of state first year students received an 'automatic' $10,000 and then could apply for in state status for the remaining three years ($19,500/year). Does anyone have any info on this for the coming year? THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

From my g/f (who was out of state 3 yrs ago) and from two people from last year, yes..the 10,000 automatically came with the financial aid package. Jane Woodland..extremely nice woman, can give you all of this info. After your first year, you will have to fill out paper work regarding your in-state residency and will receive in-state tuition. In regards to this, gather all the info you, ie. bank statements, pay stubs from money you brought is from you own checking account (basically anything that can be questioned as to whether you earned the money or from you parents who are out of state). When you get here, switch everything over asap..trust me, it will be much easier this way. In this respect, switch you car to instate, get new license(if the car is under your name). Again, Jane Woodland is great for this info. Technically, my g/f was to not leave during the summer for more than 3 wks in order to further prove her residency status. It sounds difficult, but as long as your well organized from the beginning, it'll be absolutely no problem. PM me for details, she def remembers them all. I have it easy b/c i am considered an instate resident now and I def appreciate the ease!!!

details on how you can be considered for in-state would be great! I looked at the registars page but am now just more confused.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, from what I've heard OSU is really good about giving in-state tuition after a year. Obviously sonnyman's girlfriend would know more than I, but if you follow some rules and stay over the summer it shouldn't be a problem.

sonnyman28-- Thanks for all the info. Is Jane Woodland in the vet school or overall university financial aid office?

she is the fin aid person for all the professional schools.

Wow. I wish I had found SDN earlier in 2006.

The main reason I didn't apply to OSU was because of the high tuition.

Ah well... . :rolleyes:

Sweet news for those of you able to take advantage of this!

I'm a first year non-resident applying for residency this summer to be considered a resident next fall (and pay a lot less money, hooray!)
Basically you need to change your license and car registration over (which you can do all in one trip to the DMV if you have your car title in your name). Then you need to take all the financial aid the school will give you. For all students (after filing your FAFSA, etc) they will give you sufficient money to cover your tuition in subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans. Then if you're eligible they'll also give you additional living expenses $. If you're not eligible then you apply for the lowest interest student loan you can find through a credit union or bank of your choice. Many banks offer lowish interest med student loans (ie: https://www.key.com/html/H-1.33.med.students.html). Basically you need to live entirely independently. You can't live off your parents for your rent, car payment, food, recreational/entertainment expenses anything. If you apply for residency and can't show that you had all your own loans in your name to cover your expenses then you're shot. If you want to use savings from whatever then you need to prove they were yours a year before matriculating (not sure on these details). Also, if you have a compelling enough reason (I'm going to Brazil this summer to do Salmonella Research) then you can petition to leave the state without compromising your residency. That's just another detail that deters some.
Hope that clears up a lot!
The official residency website is here: http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/more/Content/Residency/main.htm
The residency people will present to you next year and are free to meet with special circumstances also.
Have fun coasting till you get here!
Contact me with other questions!