OHSU Clinical PhD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverbull

Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of this program or have any thoughts? It sounds like it's pretty new and not yet accredited by APA, although they state that it is seeking accreditation from APA.

Accreditation status

"Our program is designed consistent with the American Psychological Association's Standards of Accreditation. We are working towards accreditation and anticipate being accredited when our first cohort of students graduate.
Because of the proposed program's rigor and emphasis on clinical science training, we also anticipate seeking accreditation from the Psychological Clinical Science Accreditation System.

OHSU's program focus
The Clinical Psychology PhD program provides students with an in-depth focus on the following key areas:
  1. Health psychology is the study and use of psychological methods to improve physical health and address physical disease in children and adults. This area closely overlaps with what is also referred to as behavioral health.
  2. The neuroscience of mental health disorders, entails the study of brain structure, function, and connectivity that is associated with mental health conditions.
  3. Implementation science emphasizes training in the development, implementation, and evaluation of behavioral and psychological interventions in clinical trials for mental disorders and behavioral health problems.
Thus, our graduates will have a complement of skills that bridge and unite health psychology, neuroscience, and clinical trials. Students do not need to apply for a specific focus. All students will obtain training across areas, although graduates will likely specialize in one area, based on their primary mentorship assignment."

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's helpful to spell out the university and not just use the abbreviation. I figured that's where you meant, but it could almost be a few other options.

I included the link for further perusal if there was any confusion, but for clarity: Oregon Health & Science University.

I am familiar and personally know some of the faculty there. It is new, so seeking accreditation, but, once they are up and going, this may quickly become one of the top places in the country to go if you want to specialize in child neuro work.

Reactions: 1 users
I am familiar and personally know some of the faculty there. It is new, so seeking accreditation, but, once they are up and going, this may quickly become one of the top places in the country to go if you want to specialize in child neuro work.
Agreed. They could turn into a top program...quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. They could turn into a top program...quickly.

That's interesting. Do new top programs crop up frequently? It seems like the barrier to entry for university-based Clinical PhD programs is pretty substantial, and most of the top programs have been around for quite a while.

That's interesting. Do new top programs crop up frequently? It seems like the barrier to entry for university-based Clinical PhD programs is pretty substantial, and most of the top programs have been around for quite a while.
I think it's a combo of some known names, good to excellent resources (at the hospital), and a solid reputation for their hospital system. I'm assuming the students will have plenty of access to research through the medical system. I can't speak to therapy, but for neuropsych...they could be sneaky good much more quickly than the typical university program starting a clincial program.

Using “top” may be a bit confusing. OHSU (it took way too long for me to figure it what they heck it stood for as well) is a well-known brand name. Many brand name universities already have clinical programs. Their quality could be debated but they typically (there are exceptions) are not predatory (provide funding and have high-producing or respected faculty). I think that is what T4C meant, that there wont be any funny business and quality training/research opportunities will be available.

It is not that there is a particular barrier for these programs to start but many brand name universities already have clinical programs. For example, if Johns Hopkins started a clinical program many would say that it will likely be a "top" program. The thing is OHSU is an AMC as opposed to a traditional liberal arts and sciences university. There are only a handful of AMC clinical PhD programs (Northwestern and UT Southwestern were the first two, I believe). Therefore, there is plenty of opportunities for other well-known AMCs to start programs.

My one concern for a program housed in a medical university is funding. OHSU has made it clear that funding is covered, which is amazing.

I am assuming the psychologists at OHSU convinced admin that the costs of students are far outweighed by the labor they provide. Looking over the 30K salaries, benefits, and the time faculty will be given for teaching, it is still a bargain over having to fund and retain quality lab staff and psychometrists in PDX.

Reactions: 2 users
My one concern for a program housed in a medical university is funding. OHSU has made it clear that funding is covered, which is amazing.

They've got quite a few funded Ph.D. programs there including one in neuroscience. From what I've heard, the faculty do a good job of maintaining grant funding.

Anyone ever heard of this program or have any thoughts? It sounds like it's pretty new and not yet accredited by APA, although they state that it is seeking accreditation from APA.

Accreditation status

"Our program is designed consistent with the American Psychological Association's Standards of Accreditation. We are working towards accreditation and anticipate being accredited when our first cohort of students graduate.
Because of the proposed program's rigor and emphasis on clinical science training, we also anticipate seeking accreditation from the Psychological Clinical Science Accreditation System.

OHSU's program focus
The Clinical Psychology PhD program provides students with an in-depth focus on the following key areas:
  1. Health psychology is the study and use of psychological methods to improve physical health and address physical disease in children and adults. This area closely overlaps with what is also referred to as behavioral health.
  2. The neuroscience of mental health disorders, entails the study of brain structure, function, and connectivity that is associated with mental health conditions.
  3. Implementation science emphasizes training in the development, implementation, and evaluation of behavioral and psychological interventions in clinical trials for mental disorders and behavioral health problems.
Thus, our graduates will have a complement of skills that bridge and unite health psychology, neuroscience, and clinical trials. Students do not need to apply for a specific focus. All students will obtain training across areas, although graduates will likely specialize in one area, based on their primary mentorship assignment."
Is the link broken for anyone else?

Can someone provide some background about what entering into a program seeking accreditation means? If you are accepted before they reach accreditation, and then the program is accredited when you are attending, does that impact your ability to find internships, career development, etc?

Can someone provide some background about what entering into a program seeking accreditation means? If you are accepted before they reach accreditation, and then the program is accredited when you are attending, does that impact your ability to find internships, career development, etc?

If they're accredited when you're still attending (and the accreditation remains intact when you graduate), you've completed an accredited program; it shouldn't impact internships, career development, etc., (unless you're applying for jobs or internships before the accreditation is attained). Accreditation is retroactive to the date of the meeting of the APA CoA that resulted in the program being granted accreditation, at least last time I checked.

Looks like they will be shooting for accredited on contingency status for their first cohort, which would be considered accredited. Judging by the faculty, the resources available, and OHSU's reputation, it would be extremely unlikely that they would not move on to full accreditation after contingency. This isn't some private standalone fly by night operation, this is a well established department with world class faculty.

Reactions: 4 users
I second (or whatever) that OHSU is fantastic in general and this program will no doubt be good once it gets going. OHSU was particularly known for neuropsychology back when I was at a training position in Portland.

I second (or whatever) that OHSU is fantastic in general and this program will no doubt be good once it gets going. OHSU was particularly known for neuropsychology back when I was at a training position in Portland.
OHSU has a very uneven rep across different fields. Med school housed psych programs have generally been unfunded, mediocre messes, so I’m wondering if this one will buck at trend or fall to it.

Using “top” may be a bit confusing. OHSU (it took way too long for me to figure it what they heck it stood for as well) is a well-known brand name. Many brand name universities already have clinical programs. Their quality could be debated but they typically (there are exceptions) are not predatory (provide funding and have high-producing or respected faculty). I think that is what T4C meant, that there wont be any funny business and quality training/research opportunities will be available.
Exactly. I was getting at it being a quality AMC with good resources, research, and faculty. I can't speak to classes, funding, or anything like that...but it is the kind of place I WANT a program, not another pop-up unfunded predatory program.

OHSU has a very uneven rep across different fields. Med school housed psych programs have generally been unfunded, mediocre messes, so I’m wondering if this one will buck at trend or fall to it.

Fair, I'll qualify my statements that I can only speak to the reputation of the clinical faculty. They and their research programs are pretty stellar. I can't speak much to funding and such. Though, based on the grants I know some of those faculty routinely get, I'd have to imagine paid RAships shoudl be plentiful.

*financial disclosure, I once managed one of these $5 mil grants.

Fair, I'll qualify my statements that I can only speak to the reputation of the clinical faculty. They and their research programs are pretty stellar. I can't speak much to funding and such. Though, based on the grants I know some of those faculty routinely get, I'd have to imagine paid RAships shoudl be plentiful.

*financial disclosure, I once managed one of these $5 mil grants.
Would be cool if they did.I know a mental health-focused medicine faculty member at OHSU (who's another strong, funded researcher); I wonder if she'll get involved with this.

It looks like a very large number of the faculty have pretty extensive VA backgrounds. I'm not familiar with the VA-OHSU affiliation prior to this program coming together, but it makes me curious about whether or not this might be something that could happen at other VAs affiliated with a local university that doesn't have a clinical program. I'd love to see more really solid, well-funded PhD programs come together.

Reactions: 1 users