OHSU Dental School anybody?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astein46

DentistWannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone on here is planning to go to OHSU. I've done some forum searches and found that the overall vibe of OHSU is that it's not a good school. Anybody have any good reasons for me? I'm a resident of Oregon and would really like to attent my state school. It keeps costs down and I'm planning to practice here anyways, so you might as well try to stay here right?

I'm planning to take the DAT this summer and apply next year. I have a 3.54 overall GPA with a 3.64 in sci. I feel that this is pretty competitive for most schools. I'm volunteering at a Cancer Resource Center at the hospital and working as a Pharmacy Technician. I've also been observing a general practice dentist as well as an endo. It's great fun! Do you think these activities will give me any edge in apply to dental school? Thanks for any help anyone can be.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone one here that is at least from Oregon?

Hey Astein,
I will be starting at OHSU this fall. The main complaint I have heard about the OHSU program is that the students have to do all of their own lab work, which can be very time consuming and frustrating. I think this tends to overshadow other good things about the program. Other than that, I don't think OHSU is so different than other programs, and have heard (keep in mind I have not started, and every program claims this) that OHSU turns out dentists with great clinical skills, so if you want to do general dentistry it is a great school to attend. I have to admit, I am a little worried about the lab work at the school as well, and have been applying (without much success) to dental labs to try to get extra experience before I am thrown into it with the extra workload on top of it.
It looks like your GPA is in the competetive range. Just be sure to study hard for the DAT, and you will do fine.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the other complaints about OHSU is that they have specialty programs that take some of the tough cases. I think that OHSU's curriculum is out dated and so is the technology at the school. After talking to the Dean several weeks ago at the ODC, they are working to change things up. He said that we should see in the near future more integrated classes and even a rural community health rotation. They just added a six week summer term after first year that will start in the summer of 2008. Once they move into the new building in a few year all the technology should be top of the line.

Overall OHSU is changing. It might be slow but thing will be different and better in the future.

Thanks for both of your responses. I have also heard that there was a lot of lab work involved but in some ways that could be a good thing. Students that attend there will know the process involved at the labs hands on. Wether that is a good thing or not, I don't know. As far as the technology part of it, I think that the new building will be in place by 2009, if I'm not mistaken. It would be awesome to be part of an entering class that got to use the new technology... it's a possibility.

And to change the subject, I'm planning to take th DAT this summer so I have plenty of time to take it again if I need to. I'm taking the Kaplan online course as soon as school gets out, mid-June. I'm not planning to have to take it again, but just in case I do, I will have plenty of time. I've heard a lot of bad things about the Kaplans course as well, but I'm willing to take a chance to have the structured course part of it. I'm confident that I can score above 20 in ACAD and hoping to be right up there with PAT.

Anyways, sorry so long... but I appreciate the response. Krstfrb, would you be willing to keep me posted on the lab situation? It would be nice to have a contact that is in the program. If not, I understand. Thanks to you both.

i wouldnt hold my breath for the new building...

Yeah....

I will graduate in '11 and i don't think i will get to use it.

Krstfrb, would you be willing to keep me posted on the lab situation? It would be nice to have a contact that is in the program. If not, I understand. Thanks to you both.

No problem. I would be glad to let you know (IF I get a job in a lab) if I find it helpful in d-school.