OHSU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TouchOfGrey

It kinda suits me anyway.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the interview feedback section on this website is pretty sparse for this year. I am wondering if anyone who has not chimed in yet could give some details, especially regarding any surprises I might be in for, and questions/style that is prevalent there.

I just got an interview for the MD/MPH program, and it is my first choice by far...I heard the interview counts for a lot there, so I really want to blow it away.

Members don't see this ad.

when did you turn in your app/receive your yellow postcard? when did you get your interview invite and what date is it scheduled for? does it really come via snail mail??! how inefficient!

when did you turn in your app/receive your yellow postcard? when did you get your interview invite and what date is it scheduled for? does it really come via snail mail??! how inefficient!

It does come via snail mail. I thought it was a rejection when I saw the envelope.

Members don't see this ad :)

Uh huh.

Anyway OP, a lot of people haven't posted because OHSU is still neck-deep in interviews. They also haven't handed out many acceptances yet. The majority of the class comes from the waitlist. My impression about interview feedback is that some people still haven't shaken off that nagging premed notion that helping others somehow harms one's own chances. Most people seem to post well after they've received final word from a school, and since most people are either waitlisted or still waiting, I suspect that it'll be a while before anyone posts there.

Uh huh.

Anyway OP, a lot of people haven't posted because OHSU is still neck-deep in interviews. They also haven't handed out many acceptances yet. The majority of the class comes from the waitlist. My impression about interview feedback is that some people still haven't shaken off that nagging premed notion that helping others somehow harms one's own chances. Most people seem to post well after they've received final word from a school, and since most people are either waitlisted or still waiting, I suspect that it'll be a while before anyone posts there.
Well, it could be that a lot of them were rejected already and have nothing to offer to the conversation. Thanks, BTW, OHSU.

Wow, I can hardly believe that people would think that adding some feedback would lessen their chances...

Sometimes I wonder about the people I'll be going to school with.

I interviewed at OHSU, though not for MPH, and I didn't think there was much feedback to give, it was all pretty typical. No tough questions, very conversational. Talked a lot about experiences and motivation for going into medicine, like always. I think it also pretty darn important at this school to be convincing about how much you would like to attend and how you fit into the school's mentality. Good luck and enjoy your time in Portland!

I also just received an interview invite this past Saturday by snail mail. They sent me my yellow postcard in early February. My application was submitted rather late, however, because the secondary invite came to my old address, despite forwarding my address and changing my contact information everywhere possible. An old neighbor of mine found it out in the street - it fell out of the recycling bin (wow, thanks flaky old roommates) and had arrived 7 weeks earlier.

I called up to reserve an interview date - out of the 5 they proposed in the letter, only 2 were still open (which means my airfare just went up $100). In the letter they mention that you must interview by March 20th, but the admissions officer on the phone implied that some dates were being opened for April - I think that's what she said anyway, the connection wasn't great.

Well, I'm psyched anyway. I have a good impression of OHSU so far, so I'm looking forward to seeing the place in person.

I agree that there's not terribly much to add to the discussion of interviews at OHSU. Both of mine were straightforward and conversational. They want to make sure that you are passionate about medicine, interested in serving the community, at ease socially, able to handle challenges, mature etc. I'm sure none of this is earth-shattering. My advice is to come across as comfortable with yourself and honest as possible (without, of course, confessing all of your worst foibles). The interviews do count for a majority of your admissions score. I felt that both of my interviews went smoothly and I found out that I was accepted a little over a month later.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Portland.

I think it also pretty darn important at this school to be convincing about how much you would like to attend and how you fit into the school's mentality.

I wonder what people that have visited think the mentality of the school is?

I lived in Portland for two years; is it just the relaxed, non-competitive vibe? Concentration on primary care?

Thanks...

BTW, my interview is March 19th.

My interview at OHSU was great. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the school, my student host was very friendly and introduced me to all the second year med student he could. The interviews were conversational, but probing. They were very interested in why I chose medicine, both of them said, "Why medicine, there are plenty of other ways to help people.... teaching... etc." I guess they have heard the patented answer, "I just want to help people" a few too many times.
The interviews focused on my EC's and other things in my application. One of my interviewers got into health care a lot though. He showed me some graphs and asked me to analyze them and give him my thoughts. It was tough, but nothing too unusual.
As far as the mentality in the classes, most people seemed very open and willing to study together. I got there when they had 2 tests in 2 days. Everyone was glad to get them over and was on the wind-down, hanging out together. The students all had a great relationship with one another... something I really want in a medical school. OHSU seemed great to me!

Hope that helps.

My interview at OHSU was great. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the school, my student host was very friendly and introduced me to all the second year med student he could. The interviews were conversational, but probing. They were very interested in why I chose medicine, both of them said, "Why medicine, there are plenty of other ways to help people.... teaching... etc." I guess they have heard the patented answer, "I just want to help people" a few too many times.
The interviews focused on my EC's and other things in my application. One of my interviewers got into health care a lot though. He showed me some graphs and asked me to analyze them and give him my thoughts. It was tough, but nothing too unusual.
As far as the mentality in the classes, most people seemed very open and willing to study together. I got there when they had 2 tests in 2 days. Everyone was glad to get them over and was on the wind-down, hanging out together. The students all had a great relationship with one another... something I really want in a medical school. OHSU seemed great to me!

Hope that helps.
Thanks so much!
I can't believe he made you interpret graphs...that kind of sucks.