OHSU MD/MPH thoughts from current student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LA:)

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm back on SDN now that I'm thinking about residency, after a 4 yr hiatus. I posted a question about OHSU's MPH program back then, and now have some revised thoughts I felt like sharing, in case anyone is interested.

I am currently in my 4th year in the OHSU MD/MPH program. During my med school applications, I had some concerns about the MPH program, which I posted on SDN way back when. Since then, I am happy to report that the MD/MPH program has been & still is a great experience. I think our program does an awesome job in training public health minded clinicians. There is a lot of rigor in the thesis work, which is tough, but you learn so much. My concerns during apps were about the broader MPH program. In truth, I think that this is probably not the best program for someone with very focused interests that do not include epi/biostats. However, the strengths of the program (in my opinion) are:

1. focus on biostats/epi (painful but important) with hands-on application in the thesis
  2. really great program director
  3. awesome peers
  4. dept is committed to helping you finish the program successfully

I think the OHSU MD/MPH training is uniquely different from independent MD and MPH programs, and is solid. I know I will be a better doctor for it. Plus, I love my classmates - they are the best!! I know that they will be doing amazing things for public health, social justice, and underserved populations.

If there are any questions, I'd be glad to respond. I don't log onto SDN regularly, but I will try to check in during the next week in case anyone has any Q's or comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi LA:)

Thanks for being willing to share your experiences.

I have applied to the PhD in Epi program at Ohio State - and am still waiting for a decision.
I would love to hear your opinion of the PhD program. Are professors accessible? I am also curious about funding opportunities.

I have several other offers on the table, but Ohio State is my top choice for family and financial reasons.
Thanks so much!

Oops - just read my post and realized that it sounds like I only like Ohio State for family/financial reasons, which is not the case! I was initially attracted to the program because of its close ties to the medical school, hospital, etc. and because of its emphasis on quantitative skills. (I have to admit - I really like stats.) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there. I think it's great you enjoy the core sciences of public health. That will be a huge asset. Unfortunately, OHSU does not offer a PhD in public health. They only have 3 programs, the MPH, MD/MPH, and the PHPM residency. I do think that our epi and biostats instructors are very student friendly and accessible - their doors are always open. As for funding, there's a great program called OSLER for a select few doctoral students (for public health, it would only apply to the MD/MPH students).

EpiPhD, I hope you find a great program that fits your needs. Good luck!

Thanks the delicatessen! Sorry for my confusion ---

Hey LA :)

I applied to OHSU MD/MPH program, but didn't get into the MD program this year. I think I will enter the MPH epi/biostats program this fall 08, and then reapply for the MD. Have other students done this? Do I have to wait to complete the MPH before starting med school, if I do things this way, or will I be able to start med school the following year (so long as I'm at OHSU)...