OHSU neuroticism/narcissism....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaelia

neenlet
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a few people mentioning they've been invited to interviews at OHSU. I was just curious what sort of turnaround time it was from postcard/app complete to interview invitation for y'all in-state folks.

13 other interviews, 35 on the MCAT, and wondering what the devil my own home State is waiting for....

Members don't see this ad.

I am an out of state applicant to Oregon Health Sciences. It was the last secondary I received, although it was one of the quickest turnarounds (from 2ndary to interview) that I have had. It was just a matter of a few weeks ( < month ) for my interview invitation to be sent after I mailed the 2ndary. I recently interviewed there and found OHSU to be one of the most amazing and beautiful med schools that I have been to. The campus is absolutely gorgeous, settled on a pine tree/fir-filled hill overlooking Portland. Also, the integrated curriculum speaks for itself, a big reason why OHSU is ranked so highly. Good luck with the process...

My application was complete in early October and I got the interview invite in the first week of November. I should hear about a decision today or tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, a couple weeks turnaround time is fantastic. You guys made it so quickly out of "the pile" that was talked about in another thread that I'm curious if you're over the 3.5 GPA/30 MCAT/instate hurdle. Don't need details, just wondering if sumbitting the secondary was worth it.

i'm not sure if the hurdle is for in-state people. i'd imagine not since their averages are around there.

I think the "in-state hurdle" being referred to is supposing they have something similar to the Ohio State policy of interviewing in-state candidates who are >30 MCAT >3.5 GPA first in the process. My application complete postcard is dated Nov. 18th, so I suppose I have a bit to go until I can legitimately wonder if I'm being passed over for some reason....

It is a beautiful school and city, and I was surprisingly impressed with their match list. Not sure there's much one could complain about except parking....

I just called OHSU. My application was reviewed yesterday and I'll have the decision in my hands by next week. I was not much above the 3.5/30 mark, but have several years of hospital experience.

Chronic is right, it's an amazing campus with an unbelievable view of the city. Last group of students that took the boards had a 100% pass rate. Two hours of class a day, amazing match list, and the cheap rent for a fairly big city...who could ask for more?

Got my yellow postcard from OHSU November 30th...it was about an 8 week turnaround time. I know, though, because I am not a "preferred" i.e. in-state, etc. applicant, the ad-com won't be looking over my stuff until January.

Manic, I'm praying for ya....when you get word, you know the drill, but this time when you phone just yell "hurrah!"

So they don't spend too much time getting to out-of-staters until January? :(

When comparing Portland to many of the larger cities that house medical schools (DC, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, LA), Portland's rent is cheap. It's 'expensive city' rating refers mainly to the cost of purchasing real estate and the outrageous property taxes that come with owning a home. You can rent a very decent studio/one bedroom for $450-$550 in almost any part of the city. For a renting student, typically not paying state income tax and not having to pay sales tax, the city is damn cheap.

I am above the 3.5/30 "hurdle" and I am not an in-state applicant...However, OHSU does give preference to those with extraordinary activities and research, which is definitely something to consider. I would fill out the secondary, you just never know. I never thought I would even hear from OHSU at all, but to my surprise, I received the 2ndary and was interviewed.

As for the cost in Portland...it is much cheaper than most big cities. Way cheaper! You can find an apartment that ranges from 350-1200. Also, there is no sales tax in Oregon. So, I would say that Portland is relatively cheap. Plus, it's so beautiful! In addition, the amounts of microbreweries for post-exam relief are numerous...

Originally posted by indo
I just read the little internet article on Portland's relative expensive/cheapness and it didn't include rent...only real estate.

Portland also has the most strip clubs per capita in the world. That should weigh greatly in your decision to attend ohsu!

Hahaha...possible way to complement anatomy courses, right?

~AS1~

Really? The most strip clubs? I can only think of three... I'll have to tell my friends in CA. Bragging rights.

Members don't see this ad :)
Manicmaven- You live in Portland and you can only think of 3 strip clubs?! Go for a walk down 82nd (on second thought, stay in your car)- what do you think all those "lingerie modeling" businesses are? Or, notice how many bars advertise "female dancers"- they don't mean ballet. Get out and enjoy what our great city has to offer! A few suggestions: Mary's (my personal favorite, and the oldest strip club in p-town), Doc's, Union Jack's, Silverado, 3 Sisters (the last 2 are gay male strip joints, very entertaining and generally MUCH more attractive then male strippers you will find at het spots like The View).

p.s. We also have the lowest church membership in the country. If you can get past all the filthy hippies, Portland rocks!:laugh:

Originally posted by The Chronic MD
Also, the integrated curriculum speaks for itself, a big reason why OHSU is ranked so highly.
I've never been to Portland or OHSU, so I'm not eligible to comment on their virtues, but this is a good opportunity to remind folks of what rankings do and do not reflect.

The source for rankings is US News and World Report, and their criteria is based on easily quantifiable measures: Research dollars, average MCAT score and GPA, student faculty ratio, and so on. Also factored in is the rather nebulous "academic reputation" and "reputation among residency directors", which is apparently based on some survey they send around and is problably not worth putting a huge amout of faith in, since it's so self-perpetuating. So while OHSU's integrated curriculum may be a major selling point, it's not a big factor in the school's overall ranking.

The bottom line is that rankings don't mean a whole lot, and some (most?) of US News' criteria are completely irrelevant to the educational experience you'll have at a school.

You're right, Mistress...I didn't think of 82nd. Nor did I think of McLoughlin Rd. -I drive it twice a week on my way to the hospital. I was thinking of Magic Gardens, Mary's and Jiggles. Never mind folks...there are loads of strip clubs in portland. If you need to see strippers, be here. Maybe it's because of the high rate of seasonal affective disorder. More opportunities to get your...um, jollies.

Omores-

As for you saying that OHSU's curriculum factors little in their ranking as a top medical school, I would have to disagree with your ignorance. There are many people out there who, just like you, make decisions in their education based on the at-best trivial rankings set out by US News and World Report. Just because "curriculum" or "curriculum strength" is not a category within those rankings, doesn't mean it plays no factor. Keep in mind what US News main goal is...to help hardcore pre-meds make better decisions regarding graduate study? I think not. Their goal is simply to make $. Thus, every category must be completely objective (i.e. number based). However, if you do rely on the guide, which clearly you do, ask yourself this question: Why is it that many of the top students in the country apply to OHSU? I have a hunch that the curriculum and satisfaction of students might play a role...in addition to a top notch faculty, and reputation for matching (Omores: matching well is different from %receiving 1 of top 3 choices). So, on a final note, I am simply suggesting that you look at more aspects of the school you want to go to, rather than a sheet of paper that you paid $7.95 for...On a more general note, don't chief on that, hit this!

:pity:

ChronicMD:

Please try reading my post again, more slowly this time. You might just find that we're in complete agreement about the value of US News' ranking system.

My point, which you seem to have missed, is that rankings are based primarily on easily quantifiable data and do not reflect things like the quality of the curriculum. US News rankings, then, should not be used as a measure of the educational experience you'll get at a school.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by The Chronic MD
Omores-
I would have to disagree with your ignorance. On a more general note, don't chief on that, hit this!
:pity:
Hey, what's w/ the attitude from the newbies! :rolleyes: Please go back & reread Omores' post.

i just called them to make sure my file is complete since i never got the infamous postcard. it took her like 5 minutes & she came back sounding all funny. hmmm... she said my file is complete & that i should be receiving the postcard in a week or two -- nothing about the low priority pile. of course, i didn't ask, so maybe that's why she didn't say.

You know, whenever I call to ask about status or whatever, one of the secretaries always sounds funny too. It's like she purposefully changes her voice to make herself sound neutral. It's unnerving. Don't worry, I've had good news so far...despite the depressing voice on the line.

I'm an OHSU wanna be, though I still have a year to go before I take the MCAT. Anyways one way to reduce rent cost is to rent PSU student housing. They allow OHSU students to do this. The housing is located in downtown and is reasonably priced plus convenient.

Great advice desert. I've always wondered where people who live in those downtown apartments park though. It would really bite to pay $150 a month to house your car. Then again, I guess you wouldn't need one.

Are you going to PSU now?

Okay, never mind. I just read your location. I moved from Bend last year. I loved it there. Took most of my pre-med courses from the University of Oregon's General Science program at COCC. Gotta love Organic Chemistry classes with 12 people in them.

This post sums up my experience with OHSU from applying last year. It might frighten you in-staters who think they should at least get an interview based on their application.

Congrats on getting interviews to OHSU if you got them, guys. I myself am an Oregon resident who did research at OHSU summer between junior/senior year, got a 35 MCAT and had a 3.81 GPA, Phi Beta Kappa, college athlete.... and got no interview at OHSU last year. I ended up getting into Tufts and Tulane, and I am a first year at one of those, but I was pretty pissed at no interview. Also, my roommate from college (3.75ish, 36 MCAT, Phi Beta Kappa, OR resident also, dad graduated from OHSU) got an interview last year, but decided to wait a year and reapplied this year.... no interview. He ended up getting into Colorado and Vermont as an out of state applicant.

What is my point? It's that it's a crap shoot getting into med school in general, but especially at OHSU. I'm not convinced they have their **** together with their admissions process. So if you get in, congrats... it's a good med school, and will be cheaper (albeit not too much) than private schools. But if not, keep your head up, and don't let it get you down.... it doesn't mean you're not qualified. Good luck with the process, it's not fun I know, but worth it in the end once you get in.

I would be interested to see an entering class profile for the first year class at OHSU this year (ie gpa, mcat, how many in/out of state, etc.) if anyone could dig that up.