OIS/OBC/COT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I figured it out, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard they "encourage" you to buy the mess dress. I went 11 years in the AF and never used it. My former partner who spent 3 yrs in after COT and he never used it. Unless you want to get married in it for some insane reason.

When I went in 1991 it wasn't called cot. We did all the marching but mostly we went to class, worked out, and went out drinking each night. There was no yelling at us.

Cot turned into the head shaving experience with some AF academy punks yelling at you about attention to detail. Seemingly, not so fun. And for the marching... I never marched once in 11 years of active duty as a resident or staffl...

I have my orders for Navy OIS, but where do I get my plane ticket?

Members don't see this ad :)
TAbrown said:

I am not totally sure about Navy OIS but for COT all I had to do was call Omega World Travel Agency and e-mail them my orders. Within 5 minutes, I called them again and they e-mailed me an itinerary and electronic ticket which I printed out. I am thinking it works the same way. Is there any travel agency number on your orders?

TAbrown said:

Normally, whenever you receive official orders (which indicates funding is confirmed) the info is shared laterally with the Scheduled Airline Travel Office. SATO automatically makes your travel reservations and send you an info email.

Contact your orders issuing office if you fail to receive an email from SATO within 1-2 weeks of getting your orders.

Unless specifically approved in writing, DO NOT make your own reservations and expect reimbursement. This requires written pre-approval and is very rare.

Questions for those who have already attended OIS:
1) What type of classwork do you do?
2) How many, if any, presentations do you do?
3) How are the living quarters: space available, personal bathrooms or communal bathrooms?, etc.
4) What happens after classwork each day (freedom, etc.)?

Thanks

1) there are several types of boring lectures that you will struggle to stay awake in. they consist of military law, surface warfare stuff, navy procedures, and navy leadership.
3)You will share a room with one other person in a room that is probably smaller than your undergrad dorm room. It is a communal bathroom, seperate for girls and boys of course, for everyone on your floor.
4)The first couple of weeks you will go from 4am-8pm and then you will have from 8-10 (lights out) on your own but you will not have freedom you will have plenty of cleaning, studying, getting uniforms ready, ect.

Things will start to ease off in the third week but be prepared for a rough ride in the beginning. It is not the OIS it used to be, it is much more hard core.

cyclegirl said:
1) there are several types of boring lectures that you will struggle to stay awake in. they consist of military law, surface warfare stuff, navy procedures, and navy leadership....

Aw, come on now, what's 230 years of barnacle-encrusted tradition not violated by common sense or modernization? :rolleyes:

Are they making y'all write an official Navy letter in official Navy style (unlike anything used anywhere else) using the Navy correspondence manual? +pissed+

When you report to Navy OIS, do you need to bring your MEPS Physical Evaluation form? Or, does OIS already have a copy? If so, how do you obtain one?

Thanks,

If you are HPSP then NMETC sent your records down to OIS for you. You will not need to bring your medical records with you. Do bring your immunization records if you have them. If you do not they will just give you all of those shots again.

cyclegirl said:
If you are HPSP then NMETC sent your records down to OIS for you. You will not need to bring your medical records with you. Do bring your immunization records if you have them. If you do not they will just give you all of those shots again.

Thank you! You have been of tremendous help!

How much bearing does Navy OIS have on a physician's future: for example, residency selection. Do military residency program directors look at OIS records (physical training tests, class rank, etc.) during the selection process or do they not look at it much, if at all?

Thanks

TAbrown said:
How much bearing does Navy OIS have on a physician's future: for example, residency selection. Do military residency program directors look at OIS records (physical training tests, class rank, etc.) during the selection process or do they not look at it much, if at all?

Thanks

While you're at OIS, you get a FITREP, an evaluation, but it is not observed, meaning it really doesn't bear much weight. It mostly just says that you went. So, not a whole lot of impact on your future, just so long as you make it through and don't do anything ridiculously stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tips from a 2d Lt who just came back from COT:

1)be prepared to drink lots of water. They forced us to drink 4 cups at every meal in the beginning of the month. Pretty hard for us smaller size people.

2)Yes, we needed to buy all our uniforms, including the mess dress(formal) that we will most likely only wear once.

3)Be prepared to get yelled at, even when you were not told how to do it beforehand. Most of time, they will not tell you how to do a certain thing or know a certain custom. It is all part of the training, so just learn from your mistakes and do not take it personally.

4)Find a former enlistee to help you out. They are the best resources as far as customs and tips on how to look good in the uniforms.

5)Getting along with your flight(class)mates will make the experience soo much better. You will be working with them ALOT!

6)No personal email or internet use in dorms! I hope they make this clear when they revise the COT website. We had to go to the library or the break room on the other side of campus. Cell phones are ok.

6)Most importantly, this is NOT a gentlemen's course! Yes, it is nothing compared to enlistee training, but don't expect it to be a walk in the park. It will be long days (4:30am to 5pm), and they will push you hard physically(think about PT every morning at 5am) and mentally(leadership and group excercises/responsibilities held by certain positions)

Please don't be scared though...it was bad only in the first couple weeks. After that, you get used to it and start to enjoy the classes and the people that you work with. The staff, fellow students, and facilities are wonderful and you will have lots of fun and the sense of accomplishment afterwards is amazing! Hooah!!:thumbup:

HumptyDumptyMil said:

1)be prepared to drink lots of water. They forced us to drink 4 cups at every meal in the beginning of the month. Pretty hard for us smaller size people.

2)Yes, we needed to buy all our uniforms, including the mess dress(formal) that we will most likely only wear once.

3)Be prepared to get yelled at, even when you were not told how to do it beforehand. Most of time, they will not tell you how to do a certain thing or know a certain custom. It is all part of the training, so just learn from your mistakes and do not take it personally.

4)Find a former enlistee to help you out. They are the best resources as far as customs and tips on how to look good in the uniforms.

5)Getting along with your flight(class)mates will make the experience soo much better. You will be working with them ALOT!

6)No personal email or internet use in dorms! I hope they make this clear when they revise the COT website. We had to go to the library or the break room on the other side of campus. Cell phones are ok.

6)Most importantly, this is NOT a gentlemen's course! Yes, it is nothing compared to enlistee training, but don't expect it to be a walk in the park. It will be long days (4:30am to 5pm), and they will push you hard physically(think about PT every morning at 5am) and mentally(leadership and group excercises/responsibilities held by certain positions)

Please don't be scared though...it was bad only in the first couple weeks. After that, you get used to it and start to enjoy the classes and the people that you work with. The staff, fellow students, and facilities are wonderful and you will have lots of fun and the sense of accomplishment afterwards is amazing! Hooah!!:thumbup:

How many weeks was your COT class? Got any idea how many weeks will it be for the August COT class?

Should I start memorizing the OI from the OTS website now?

USAF_O said:
How many weeks was your COT class? Got any idea how many weeks will it be for the August COT class?

Should I start memorizing the OI from the OTS website now?

My class was from May29th-July 1st. I don't think they will change the length for the august COT class.

The OIs are a good thing to memorize before going to COT. It didnt make any sense to me at first, but when I got there and actually started implementing it, it made a lot more sense. I wouldnt worry too much about them, but it never hurts to be prepared because you will be tested on them the first week.

Thanks for the quick response.

Another question: I know we will get tested for the 1.5-mile run. I've heard people are getting timed for the 3-mile run as well. Is that true?

USAF_O said:
Thanks for the quick response.

Another question: I know we will get tested for the 1.5-mile run. I've heard people are getting timed for the 3-mile run as well. Is that true?
Last year we had one run that was 3 miles, it was timed...but it was not for any official purpose. The people who came in first got recognized I believe, but it is not part of the PFT or anything else that will ever matter.

Note: They said it was 3 miles, but I am pretty sure it was actually shorter...

HumptyDumptyMil said:

And oh God get ready to have a motivational reply statement for everything. I agree with you about most of the above, but you CAN and probably should rent your mess dress uniform. I was lucky enough to room with a prior enlisted and he helped me tremendously. Make sure you bring a flash drive, your cell phone, and a cigarette lighter to burn off the strings in your uniforms. Best piece of advice though, don't kill yourself every weekend to make a 97 on your exams instead of a 90. Have fun with the people you're with, and all the yelling and midnight turnins/4am wakeups will be a whole lot easier to deal with.

Griffins are grrrrrreat!
Okay fellow 06-05'ers, what Flights were you in?
Alpha flight here.
Med school:
UNECOM
Motivation:
110%!
Hoooah!
;)

For COT, should we bring 1 or 2 pairs of boots? I've heard to bring one pair for inspection and another pair for marching/field exercises.

Aside from your running shoes, does it help to bring cleats and basketball shoes?

Is it really worth it to sew down your BDU pockets?

Thanks!

USAF_O said:
For COT, should we bring 1 or 2 pairs of boots? I've heard to bring one pair for inspection and another pair for marching/field exercises.

Aside from your running shoes, does it help to bring cleats and basketball shoes?

Is it really worth it to sew down your BDU pockets?

Thanks!

You only need one pair of boots, and have them professionally shined before you come. Lots of times you'll have an inspection at 3 in the afternoon, after you've been busy scuffing up your boots doing drills and wrinkling up your uniform sitting in lecture for the past 7 or 8 hours, so have somebody with a lintbrush, lighter, and shoeshine rag on them and do the best you can. Dorms are off limits between 8a and 5p so you can't very well go back and change boots anyway. Well broken in running shoes (don't go buy any just before you leave) and flip-flops should be sufficient, maybe a pair of Clarks or something for when you go off base. And make sure you're wearing comfortable shoes and non-heatstroke-inducing clothing when you pull up in the parking lot/get off the plane. Your COT experience begins right then.

Can't sew down your BDU pants pockets -- you'll be carrying around your cap and wallet and stuff in them. You ever get caught with something bulging/hanging out your other pockets and you'll get dressed-down for it. Doing so to your jackets, however, seems like a good idea. Just make sure you cut off the buttons first, or you'll get button-shaped rings when you iron. Don't forget the one on your right lapel.

Tic said:
And make sure you're wearing comfortable shoes and non-heatstroke-inducing clothing when you pull up in the parking lot/get off the plane.

hmm... are we allowed to wear the black under armour or nike dri-fit shirts underneath our BDUs?

thanks for answering!

USAF_O said:
hmm... are we allowed to wear the black under armour or nike dri-fit shirts underneath our BDUs?

thanks for answering!

Not sure on that one. BDU undershirts have to be black; as long as there aren't any logos visible then from that standpoint it should be OK. Then again from time to time you'll be taking off the jacket, and you'd be unstandardized (and unless you're stacked a bit ridiculous looking too). So I'd have to lean towards no. Anybody else have any thoughts?

Tic said:
Not sure on that one. BDU undershirts have to be black; as long as there aren't any logos visible then from that standpoint it should be OK. Then again from time to time you'll be taking off the jacket, and you'd be unstandardized (and unless you're stacked a bit ridiculous looking too). So I'd have to lean towards no. Anybody else have any thoughts?

During certain field excercises, we will be working in just our shirts. I would think that as long as there is no visible logo on the shirt (I think that will not be possible with underarmor) it will be ok. And yes, I agree about people who are on the skinny side not looking good in them :smuggrin:

Hello,

Are they pretty with what kind of socks you can wear for PT? I'm thinking about getting these ASICS low-cut socks that are good for wicking, but I'm worried about the colors and logo. I usually run with no-show socks, and I have a feeling they won't like that.

Thanks!

P.S. anyone attending COT class 06-07?

Does anyone know if the runs at OIS are company runs or individual??? If company, what pace are they at?

Thanks

I'd just have to say, in general, relax about it. No matter how much you prepare, they will yell at you for something, so just be respectful and try to have a thick skin. I went to COT four years ago, and had a rotten time, graduating nowhere near the top of the class, and I still did just fine in med school, and I got my first choice residency and site.

So good luck to you all, and I'll look forward to seeing you on the wards while I'm a resident. I guarantee you I will pay more attention to how much you know about fluid managment than shoeshining.

Other then your PRT the runs at OIS are class runs, usually three companies. They divide it into 3 pace groups based on the your 1.5 miles run time on the practice PRT in the 1st week. I would not worry about it.

Other then your PRT the runs at OIS are class runs, usually three companies. They divide it into 3 pace groups based on the your 1.5 miles run time on the practice PRT in the 1st week. I would not worry about it.

Actually it depends on when your OIS starts. If it's in the summer when there are more companies, then this will probably be the norm for group runs. I participated in OIS in the winter (March) so there were only two companies. Both companies either ran together as one class or as separate companies. For my company, our Senior Chief put the three shortest people in the front (which meant me as one) to set the pace due to our shorter legs. It didn't bother us so much but you heard a lot of "encouragement" from the back for those who were taller or faster runnrs.

Just curious, do we get paid for Army OBC this summer and if so when? If not, no big deal just curious.

I am not 100% sure on this but I think we get an advance in the month prior to OBC for uniforms etc and then we receive pay throughout OBC according to the regular Army pay dates. I am sure someone around here will be able to offer more info.:)

I do not know about the Army but when I went to OIS last summer we did not get an advance for uniforms or anything. We got active duty pay on military pay dates and they included the uniform allowance in one of those paychecks.

For USUHS folks -- Do we get the housing allowance based on the Bethesda area while were at OBC? If we are arrange housing and a move before OBC, it would be nice to get the compensation.

I will be going to AF COT this summer and am looking to buy a pair of boots to break them in before I go. I can't find any specifications on the AFOATS website as to which boots to buy (only to buy boots early). I was looking at these ones: http://www.shoeshackonline.com/site/623303/product/17146

Do you think they would work? (Note that they are not all-leather) I don't want to run into standardization issues when I get there...

One other thing... AFOATS says to bring a laptop and printer if you can. Everything I've read and my common sense says to go with as little very light things as possible. Any input from people who have been there?

The link below is to the air force exchange. You will need to get your boots from the uniform department. The link directs you to the uniform section but you will need to enter your SS# and date of birth to enter the site. That is how they know you are legally allowed to purchase military uniforms. Buy the boots they have on there and you should have no problem.

https://thor.aafes.com/ics/default.asp?loc=department.asp~dept_id=11998

I am waiting for NMETC to finish processing my paper work and assign me a login so I can register for OIS this summer. Is there a point at which they "fill-up?" I am worried I will have to wait until next summer to do OIS.

Last summer I got into a class 1-2 weeks before it started and there were still spots open when the class started. Just sign up as soon as you can.

Do we have to login somewhere to register for OBC? I recieved an email telling me a place has been reserved etc. and saying that orders have ben requested to attend OBC and USUHS but haven't heard anything since.

Did anyone call out the Staff Sergeants for yelling at officers?

don't confuse your rank with their authority and you'll go far.

for that matter, don't confuse your rank with their wisdom and you'll go even farther

what are the PT requirements to max out for a 26 y.o. male?

ans

can we bring and ipod to OIS and if so can we use it while running?

thanks

Technically you can bring the Ipod but it must remain locked up in your locker. You are not allowed to use if for PT. Actually for the first 4 weeks we were not allowed to use any personal electronics.

I'm new to this. I will be going to COT this summer, and I was just wondering if we get to swim at COT. I know about the running, sit-ups, push-ups, etc for the PT test, but I was just wondering if we got to do anything else for PT.

I'm new to this. I will be going to COT this summer, and I was just wondering if we get to swim at COT. I know about the running, sit-ups, push-ups, etc for the PT test, but I was just wondering if we got to do anything else for PT.

Nope. Although after awhile (2 weeks?) you can visit the base pool at your leisure.

so I chose my med school in mid/late febuarary, and the board approved me in late march, at which time i was submitted to the "Scroll." My recruiter says it takes another 6-8 weeks before my ComDocs come in, and then DEERS and so forth before I can register for OIS. My only hope is to be able to register for the June 25 class.

Did it take this long for everyone else, or is something fishy going on?

I worked with USPHS so I know it takes a while, but it seems to be taking a bit longer than expected.

Last year I was accepted for Navy HPSP at the end of Jan and I was not commissioned until May 19th. Once you are commissioned they have to enter all of your paperwork in the system and that takes another week or two. I made it into the June ~5th class last year only 1 week before it started. They will only rush you into the class if you school is year round (mine is and it is the only reason I made it to OIS last summer). PM me if you have any questions

Ok so I'm headed to San Antonio in about 2 weeks. I have bought my boots and the majority of the gear needed. I decided to wear my boots to class today to break them in. My feet are now killin me. My heels feel like they are really going to blister up. Any advice on what to do to make them more comfortable? Or should I just take the boots back and get another pair?

Ok so I'm headed to San Antonio in about 2 weeks. I have bought my boots and the majority of the gear needed. I decided to wear my boots to class today to break them in. My feet are now killin me. My heels feel like they are really going to blister up. Any advice on what to do to make them more comfortable? Or should I just take the boots back and get another pair?

I fthink I tried this method...

How To Break In New Boots: This will wreck any polish work you've done so far, but sure beats a year of normal wear to properly break in new boots. However you do it, every CSMR training announcement requires that you have broken in boots on arrival.

Lace the boots up as above. Leave it pretty loose. Now fill each boot with warm-to-hot tap water. Let them soak for 5 minutes.
Put on a heavy pair of boot socks. After they've soaked the 5 minutes, empty the boots of excess water. If you plan to wear arch inserts with them, insert them now, put the boots on and lace up snuggly. Wear until dry. Walk around as much as you can while they dry - helps stretch them where they need it.

After they're dry, take them off and remove the inserts. There will still be a lot of moisture in the leather, so set them aside to dry but not in direct sunlight. Wear them for awhile the next day (with inserts and boot socks). Make sure they're absolutely dry before starting any polishing - about 24 to 48 hours more depending on humidity. Some folks still blister easily.

There's also more comfortable boots like Ridge Air-Tac or Altama. I would just try to break in the normal boots a little more slowly, walk with them for a mile and add some distance/time every day. Eventually you need to jog in them. If you can't do that by the time you report, then think about trading. You can also lubricate and/or put a blister block (e.g. moleskin), which they did a lot during basic training.

Hello, This thread is extreamly useful.
I'm new to this too. I will be going to COTs this summer.
I was wondering about how many people attend COTs?
Does anyone have their lecture notes they would like to sell?
Any place where they can be bought beforehand?
Thanks for all the advise, folks.