OIS/OBC/COT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, This thread is extreamly useful.
I'm new to this too. I will be going to COTs this summer.
I was wondering about how many people attend COTs?
Does anyone have their lecture notes they would like to sell?
Any place where they can be bought beforehand?
Thanks for all the advise, folks.

There is no need to prepare ahead of time for the academic aspect of COT. If you really want to study something ahead of time, the only productive thing would be the Operating Instructions (available on the COT website). If you learn some basic military customs and courtesies from that before you show up, it will save you some grief in the first few days.

My advice is:
1. Realize that the first few days are a "boot camp" atmosphere. Some people were quite shocked when they got off the bus and found a drill sergeant waiting for them instead of a welcome committee! You will very likely get singled out and yelled at for at least one faux pas but there will be no "drop and give me 20" or any other form of physical punishment. After the first weekend the instructors will begin letting up on you and start showing their human side. The remainder of your time should be fun/interesting.
2. You will be busy the whole time; don't expect to get a lot of sleep.
3. Get in shape before you arrive, you'll thank yourself. (running, situps, crunches)
4. If you can purchase your uniforms beforehand that will be one less thing to worry about during the first few days of the course, but if this isn't possible no worries.

Otherwise, just go in with a good attitude and do your best; you'll be fine and will meet a lot of great people.

Members don't see this ad.

how about the field conditions down at Fort Sam for OBC? Are we talking Tents sleeping on the ground? or are we talking barracks with air conditioning? I'm obviously ok with whatever, i'm just wondering what to expect...

Also, has anyone done the 2 week reserve component course?

Members don't see this ad :)
how about the field conditions down at Fort Sam for OBC? Are we talking Tents sleeping on the ground? or are we talking barracks with air conditioning? I'm obviously ok with whatever, i'm just wondering what to expect...

HA! Its HOT down here in San Anotonio! I did not know you would be going to OBC this summer. I'm at Brooks AFB for the school of Aerospace Medicine orientation course. We were over at Brooke Army Medical Center yesterday for the whole day. Very nice facility! Anyways, good luck with OBC!
Cheers,

Anyone mind letting us know how a "proper" sit-up/push-up is executed.

This is how I'de think they'de want us to do them
push up, hands shoulder length apart, chest and nose touch the ground?
sit up, feet braced down, all the way up and all the way down?

So who else is leaving for COT on the 2nd?

yeah I'm leaving tomorrow to drive down there. Should be a nice road trip.

Anyone mind letting us know how a "proper" sit-up/push-up is executed.

This is how I'de think they'de want us to do them
push up, hands shoulder length apart, chest and nose touch the ground?
sit up, feet braced down, all the way up and all the way down?

You don't go all the way to the ground....your chest should hover just a little bit above the floor.

How long did it take everyone else to get to second class status? It took COT class 07-05 two and a half weeks.

Are Oakley Assault Boots kosher for Navy wear? Tan or black?

You will not wear boots at OIS.

Unless you're on a ship, don't wear boots.

And you don't wear any tan shoes unless you're a pilot or a flight surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's not that bad. While we were at Camp Bullis, which was around 14 or so days this year instead of one week, the tents were air conditioned. The AC works pretty well. We slept on cots and found a scorpion in our tent on 3 or 4 different nights. I also found one in my foxhole while zeroing the M16 and had one crawling on my arm during a "hard target" convoy. They tell you to only turn on the AC at night when going to sleep but we turned it on whenever we were in there, which was the rare occasion; they try to keep you hanging around outside or on bleachers in the sun all day-you're not suppose to go to your tent except to sleep, but there were exceptions.
The biggest thing, although it's difficult cuz you don't know anyone well for a while, is to try to get into a good platoon when they are formed. It makes all the difference in the world to be with people who have a good sense of humor and don't take the BS too seriously. Try to be in the tent/platoon with the comedian of the group. It really makes the days and nights out there go faster.

Also, here are some pics from OBC 2007:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.jaqua/OBCCampBullis
http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.jaqua/OBC2007JuneJuly
http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.jaqua/OBCRiverwalk

hey guys,

i'm just curious as to how much ethnic diversity there is among the participants in officer training, in particular the navy, but any other branches will do. also, would you say that most of the people at OIS/OBC/COT are already pretty decent athletes?

Hi, quick question: Do you have to wear those big glasses if you're dependent on contact lens? I'd be interested in going the military route if I ended up pursuing a M.D./D.O. One way to avoid wearing them during OIS/OBC/COT would be to have lasik surgery beforehand, yeah?
(btw, no knock on anyone who's wearing them, it's just that I used to wear glasses during P.E. in middle school and it sucked big time:thumbdown:)

Hi, quick question: Do you have to wear those big glasses if you're dependent on contact lens? I'd be interested in going the military route if I ended up pursuing a M.D./D.O. One way to avoid wearing them during OIS/OBC/COT would be to have lasik surgery beforehand, yeah?
(btw, no knock on anyone who's wearing them, it's just that I used to wear glasses during P.E. in middle school and it sucked big time:thumbdown:)

At least in the Navy, the more hard core version of officer camp, you DO NOT need to wear BCGs, aka Birth Control Goggles, for OIS. Also know that Lasix is supposively an automatic disqualification for flight surgery. the other eye surgery is ok, but Lasix is NOT and they could tell me why in Pensacola.

OIS is referred to as knife and fork school by the regular military. It was extremely easy, the tests all had handouts prior which gave you the answers in a nutshell, and the primary mission is to give you a quick background on the military, learn how to dress appropriately and a quick crash course in military customs. The friends I made at OIS I still have today, it was a fun experience, and I spent more time socializing, learning how to sail and shopping then anything else. You'll have a blast.

OIS is referred to as knife and fork school by the regular military. It was extremely easy, the tests all had handouts prior which gave you the answers in a nutshell, and the primary mission is to give you a quick background on the military, learn how to dress appropriately and a quick crash course in military customs. The friends I made at OIS I still have today, it was a fun experience, and I spent more time socializing, learning how to sail and shopping then anything else. You'll have a blast.

I would be cautious making the generalization that it is "easy". No, none of the material is difficult but the quality of life depends completely upon your division LCPO, or Chief. Sure they have restrictions about how long PT can be, etc. but you can get a hard ass chief who tosses your rooms every night, moves students from room to room every night, makes surprise visits during lights out, etc... Or you could get a laid back one who doesn't care as long as your division is on time to everything and doesn't make him/her look incompetent in front of your class officers (usually line LTs, CDRs.)

Luck of the Draw

I would be cautious making the generalization that it is "easy". No, none of the material is difficult but the quality of life depends completely upon your division LCPO, or Chief. Sure they have restrictions about how long PT can be, etc. but you can get a hard ass chief who tosses your rooms every night, moves students from room to room every night, makes surprise visits during lights out, etc... Or you could get a laid back one who doesn't care as long as your division is on time to everything and doesn't make him/her look incompetent in front of your class officers (usually line LTs, CDRs.)

Luck of the Draw

Ditto. Mine was pretty damn hard core with the early morning PT and constant cleaning and having our rooms torn apart. I got called a dickhead for the first time in my life...and told that I looked like a bag of ass every other day. Know that the Navy is a a lot more hardcore than the AF and Army. I hear they can go off base or to the O-club prior to the last weekend, stay in BOQs and do not have the 10 minute messing meals for the 6 weeks.

KentuckyOBGYN when did you go to OIS? About 4 years ago they changed it from knife and fork school to something more hardcore. My experience was a lot like the previous two posts.

Ditto.
I'm still recuperating from the traumas at COT.

At least in the Navy, the more hard core version of officer camp, you DO NOT need to wear BCGs, aka Birth Control Goggles, for OIS. Also know that Lasix is supposively an automatic disqualification for flight surgery. the other eye surgery is ok, but Lasix is NOT and they could tell me why in Pensacola.

It depends on your prescription whether you would be eligible for service with the aid of LASIK or PK (the 'other surgery' you refer to I assume); LASIK is not an automatic disqualification, but it's definitely something you should research more officially than via this forum before you commit.

I knew there was a P, U, and K in it, but not in that order.

according to the flight surgeons in pensacola who walked me through the flight physical and non-waver disqualifications, the two things that could not be waved were if your body dimensions were not compatible (sitting height, hip knee length, reach, etc) or if you had lasik eye surgery.

has this changed? were the flight surgeon and corpsman I was dealing with wrong? it is relivant to my situation, so if it is I would definitely like to know.

i can't seem to figure out how to deleat this...damn pda

I knew there was a P, U, and K in it, but not in that order.

according to the flight surgeons in pensacola who walked me through the flight physical and non-waver disqualifications, the two things that could not be waved were if your body dimensions were not compatible (sitting height, hip knee length, reach, etc) or if you had lasik eye surgery.

has this changed? were the flight surgeon and corpsman I was dealing with wrong? it is relivant to my situation, so if it is I would definitely like to know.

Yes, for AF at least this is fairly recent: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123054564
Re-read your post and saw you're Navy; don't know if it's the same, but a quick google search brought up some positive stuff.

Yes, for AF at least this is fairly recent: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123054564
Re-read your post and saw you're Navy; don't know if it's the same, but a quick google search brought up some positive stuff.

Thanks! I could not find anything quite as specific pertaining to the Navy, but hopefully if the AF is changing the standard they will follow. AF/Army and Navy have different flight programs for their medical officers and the Navy class allows for flight time for the physicians in training, but it seems like the vision requirement is being changed for all aviators.

Does anyone know the deadline for applying to Army OBLC this summer? I can't find the info for some reason. Thanks.

I don't think the Army has even released the dates for OBC this summer. At least not as of this past week when I tried to request orders for it through MODS.

Yeah, I tried to do the same and they still had the 2007 dates up. Guess it will take a little time.

Yeah, I tried to do the same and they still had the 2007 dates up. Guess it will take a little time.

If you go to this incredibly cheesey website-

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/

You will see that the page reserved for upcoming class schedules is under construction. I can't BELIEVE it is the official website for OBLC. It looks like a 3rd grader did it.

I called down there about a month ago and the commandant ripped me new one because I was calling too soon to find out about HPSP/USUHS OBLC start date. That's what I get for trying to be ahead of the game I guess.

It's not that bad. While we were at Camp Bullis, which was around 14 or so days this year instead of one week, the tents were air conditioned. The AC works pretty well. We slept on cots and found a scorpion in our tent on 3 or 4 different nights. I also found one in my foxhole while zeroing the M16 and had one crawling on my arm during a "hard target" convoy. They tell you to only turn on the AC at night when going to sleep but we turned it on whenever we were in there, which was the rare occasion; they try to keep you hanging around outside or on bleachers in the sun all day-you're not suppose to go to your tent except to sleep, but there were exceptions.
The biggest thing, although it's difficult cuz you don't know anyone well for a while, is to try to get into a good platoon when they are formed. It makes all the difference in the world to be with people who have a good sense of humor and don't take the BS too seriously. Try to be in the tent/platoon with the comedian of the group. It really makes the days and nights out there go faster.

Also, here are some pics from OBC 2007:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.jaqua/OBCCampBullis
http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.jaqua/OBC2007JuneJuly
http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.jaqua/OBCRiverwalk

Hooah! I can't wait. My favorite pic is "bad assess getting ready to clear a building."

If you go to this incredibly cheesey website-

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/

You will see that the page reserved for upcoming class schedules is under construction. I can't BELIEVE it is the official website for OBLC. It looks like a 3rd grader did it.

I called down there about a month ago and the commandant ripped me new one because I was calling too soon to find out about HPSP/USUHS OBLC start date. That's what I get for trying to be ahead of the game I guess.

Thanks for the link! Hopefully we will be able to register soon.

Also, do you know how long it takes for a secret clearance to get pushed through? I opened mine in October, I heard from somebody that it can take three months to a year :eek:

^^^ No idea. I have never actually completed one. I have started it like 3 times and then forgot about it. Hasn't seemed to matter much, and I have "needed" one for about 7 years. (Even when I was enlisted I needed one because I was mental health) .Never missed a promotion, deployment or any favorable action because of it. I think this is why the BS in the Army doesn't bother me much. If it doesn't seem important to me, I ignore it until someone of higher rank (usually in the form of being on an email s*** list) makes me do it.

^^^ No idea. I have never actually completed one. I have started it like 3 times and then forgot about it. Hasn't seemed to matter much, and I have "needed" one for about 7 years. (Even when I was enlisted I needed one because I was mental health) .Never missed a promotion, deployment or any favorable action because of it. I think this is why the BS in the Army doesn't bother me much. If it doesn't seem important to me, I ignore it until someone of higher rank (usually in the form of being on an email s*** list) makes me do it.

Well, that makes me feel better.

Hey all- for those asking, my recruiter just gave me some info that said this summer it's from 6/9-7/20. Still deciding though- any advice?

The 2008 dates are up for OBLC are up on the MODS form. Looks like it's gonna be 6/15 to 7/28. Hope to see some of you crazy kids there!

I was at the July COT like the OP. Some other things that you need to know:

-- Bring 10 copies of your orders.

-- As the OP said, memorize the operating instructions ASAP. You'll get yelled at for not knowing them---even on the first day!

-- Bring $300 in cash. You will have to pay for all of your meals, the dining out, and a host of other expenses. The only thing that is free is the laundry room, but you will need bring laundry detergent and drier sheets.

-- Purchase the book Air Force Officer's Guide. It's not on amazon.com---so you'll have to Google for the publisher. You'll need to know the ranks a few other details about being an officer so that you can decrease the amount of yelling that occurs the first few days.

-- Have a proper hair cut. Men, shave your hair to 1/4 of an inch. Otherwise, you'll be sent to the barber shop and be out of another $8.

-- You do not need a military ID. Your orders will work just fine---just make sure to have them with you every where you go.

-- Do not sign up to be the standardization officer. It is the worst position that you can have in your flight. Take photo, athletic, or academic officer instead.

-- Study. Seriously, study. I know that the last thing you want to do is stay up past midnight every night learning about conflict resolution, management theory, and the history of the Air Force, but the competition is fairly competitive. If you want to make distinguished graduate, you'll need to do well on the tests. Also, read ahead---especially on weekend mornings. Class will go by much quicker if you know the material before hand.

-- You have to mix water with the shoe polish to shine your boots. I spent 3 weeks rubbing dry polish into my boots and subsequently got yelled at during every uniform inspection for having dull shoes. It wasn't until the last week that my flight commander told me that I was supposed to use water.

-- Have a good attitude about everything, even when they're yelling at you. Some people hated certain aspects of COT (such as marching everywhere) and were miserable the entire month.

-- Make your flight commander love you and everything will go over much easier. Also, do exactly as you're told---no more, no less---and you'll be fine.

Feel free to post any questions to this board as I will check it regularly. As an aside, I was the vice president of the dining out and a distinguished graduate, meaning that I was pretty involved with everything that happened. I enjoyed COT a lot and still occasionally talk to my flight mates.

Distinguished graduate? What is the incentive? Ugh, self-motivation? I'm in trouble. :smuggrin:

Kidding, really looking forward to COT this summer if I am selected for the HPSP. It's better than cleaning cars and painting walls all summer which is what I've done every summer until now during college. Seriously.

Haven't marched since marching band in high school. Should be interesting.

LOL I can see how this would get ugly extremely fast.

Good catch though.

Oops didn't quote... this was in response to staff sergeants being called out about yelling at officers...

LOL I can see how this would get ugly extremely fast.

Good catch though.

Oops didn't quote... this was in response to staff sergeants being called out about yelling at officers...

COT is tiring but you'll really get to know and probably like the folks in your flight. Med students know how to study usually you'll probably DG without trying. Mapquest to buffalo wild wings and other beer and wing serving establishments=good times in montgomery, AL...well maybe not really but better than without

oh by the way try to get some help with uniforms before hand if at all possible....the uniform buying thing is a complete cluster when you get there

I'll be at COT in July...

What's the story for the PT? Should I be able to run a 6min mile pace or is it a bit more relaxed?

For general information, I've attached COT dates.

I'm assuming most HPSPers will be in the June 30-August 1 or May 27-June 27 sessions.

To answer your question, you won't be disqualified from anything based on performance at COT. But there was a list floating around here of times etc that you have to shoot for and a scoring scale. I will try to find that this evening to post up here. The scale was based on 1.5 mile times, situps, and pushups.

I heard we also get to do a confidence course :) Should be fun!

Attachments

• COT Class Dates.pdf
    30.3 KB · Views: 430
Hey all, looks like this thread's been going for a few years, but I haven't found many postings on the physical training at the ODS in Newport. My concern is the sit-ups. I know I can easily do the 1.5mi run in the "Excellent-LOW" range, and will probably get myself up to the "Satisfactory-MEDIUM" in the pushups. BUT, I have never done the sit-ups in my life (yes, I know it's pathetic), and having just tried it recently, I am just a whimp (way below "Probationary" score for my age). Plus, I seem to have discomfort in my lower back after doing the sit-ups even when I am consciously trying to maintain the proper form.

My question is: if I won't pass the PFT (or is it PFA now?) at the end of the ODS, will I not then graduate? How hard is the physical training for those who are not athletic beyond being able to run well? Have you guys had any classmates who were just ain't cutting it in some of the physical training requirements? If so, what happened to them?

Hey all, looks like this thread's been going for a few years, but I haven't found many postings on the physical training at the ODS in Newport. My concern is the sit-ups. I know I can easily do the 1.5mi run in the "Excellent-LOW" range, and will probably get myself up to the "Satisfactory-MEDIUM" in the pushups. BUT, I have never done the sit-ups in my life (yes, I know it's pathetic), and having just tried it recently, I am just a whimp (way below "Probationary" score for my age). Plus, I seem to have discomfort in my lower back after doing the sit-ups even when I am consciously trying to maintain the proper form.

My question is: if I won't pass the PFT (or is it PFA now?) at the end of the ODS, will I not then graduate? How hard is the physical training for those who are not athletic beyond being able to run well? Have you guys had any classmates who were just ain't cutting it in some of the physical training requirements? If so, what happened to them?

The best thing to do is practice every day. You will be tested on the PROPER Navy situp which goes something like this (this may sound stupid but hang with me). Lay on your back with knees bent until your feet are a few inches from your butt on the ground. It helps to have someone holding your feet. Your hands will be crossed and placed at the front of your shoulders. You will sit up until your elbows touch any part of your thighs. Go back down and do it again as many times as you can in 2 minutes. A situp is not counted if your hands come away from the front of your shoulders or your elbows don't touch. You can rest in the up or down position.

You probably wont be doing these kinds of situps until you actually test out on them, but it is best to know the proper form so you can practice. You will actually be doing other kinds of abdominal exercises like flutter kicks and crunches (lots of them) so its best to get ready early.

Here is a site you may find useful to help you with situps:
http://www.navy-prt.com/trainingsitup.html

Good Luck! :D

Seriously, how badass are they gonna get on us?

I lift 3-4 times per week and I'm going to run/swim in the month preceding COT, but some of their criteria are crazy! I dont know many med students that would surpass "satisfactory" on their rating scales.

Yeah, well I don't know how "badass" they will be. That's why I am asking ;)
The requirements ARE crazy for someone who is a professional student *not* a warrior. The situp program that SF49ersFan posted (thanks for your reply, btw) jumps from 25 to 60 in six weeks. Give me a break, I can barely do 15! So, I wonder if anyone else can answer my question if I won't pass the PFT at the end of the ODS, will I not then graduate? How hard is the physical training for those who are not athletic beyond being able to run well? Have you guys had any classmates who were just ain't cutting it in some of the physical training requirements? If so, what happened to them? Thanks!

Seriously, how badass are they gonna get on us?

I lift 3-4 times per week and I'm going to run/swim in the month preceding COT, but some of their criteria are crazy! I dont know many med students that would surpass "satisfactory" on their rating scales.

If you are going into the Army or AF, and you are working out 3-4 times a week, you wont have any problems. I never did their training, but the word from the other guys in my class that were Army and AF is that PT at their officer training was a joke. :cool:

Yeah, well I don't know how "badass" they will be. That's why I am asking ;)
The requirements ARE crazy for someone who is a professional student *not* a warrior. The situp program that SF49ersFan posted (thanks for your reply, btw) jumps from 25 to 60 in six weeks. Give me a break, I can barely do 15! So, I wonder if anyone else can answer my question if I won't pass the PFT at the end of the ODS, will I not then graduate? How hard is the physical training for those who are not athletic beyond being able to run well? Have you guys had any classmates who were just ain't cutting it in some of the physical training requirements? If so, what happened to them? Thanks!

I highly doubt that they will actually CUT you from your scholarship if your performance is unsatisfactory. They aren't recruiting you for your brawn.

Contact your recruiter. Make him/her do the work for you to find the answer :)