OK gpa / Poor Lopsided MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted some reality check, so I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback about where I'm standing.

I'm currently enrolled in a pharmacy school in California, and I have 2 more years until I graduate. As I was doing rotations in clinical settings, I made up my mind to pursue medicne because working as a doctor seemed to give me more autonomy in terms of providing care.

As of now, I completed all basic sciences (except Physics II) and on top of that took some advanced graduate courses related to my major.
I'm maintaining a GPA of 3.85 for both cumulative and sciences.
The coursework has definitely been tougher than those of regular undergrads, but does the admissions office take that into account? Or is it purely a number game?

As far as the MCAT goes, I was overloaded with courses (took 19 credits every semester), so I only got to prepare and take it last summer.
However, due to mandatory full-time rotation in the summer, I only had 1-2 months in hand to prepare for it.
I studied hardcore, but ended up with a fail. PS9 / VR6 / BS12 = 27M

My question is: Is that verbal score even acceptible for DO schools?
(I'm not even looking at MD schools with that verbal right now...)
I came to the states 4 years ago from an East Asian country to start my college life, so English is not my first language, but the schools don't take that into account, right? (btw, I'm technically a U.S. citizen because I was born here, moved back to Asia when I was 2 yo).

I'm starting a year-long full time rotation next summer (and also taking Physics II that summer), so my only chance to retake the MCAT would be this winter. (I'll study hardcore for 3 weeks and take it, but I cannot guarantee that my verbal will improve...)

Assuming that my ECs / volunteer work / research are competitive, what are my chances of getting into DO schools? (I would love to go to NYCOM or CCOM).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing an excellent job of maintaining a high GPA. Hopefully that number includes any PrePharm undergrad coursework, too?

While it's possible to get into DO schools with a VS of 6, maybe moreso for you due to the ESL status, there's no question that you'd have more choices among more-selective schools, and even potentially MD schools, with a higher VS.

As a point of strategy, keep in mind that you need to cultivate two science profs and one nonscience for Letters of Recommendation. Since you are in a grad level program, many schools might require a letter from your grad school advisor or program director. So it will pay off to communicate your future career interests and to start thinking of a good explanation why you want to transition into medicine that will sit well with both med school adcomms and the faculty of your current school.

Hey, thanks a lot for the response. But there's one part I don't understand.

How's my ESL status going to help me in the process? Is there a section in the application where I indicate that I'm ESL?

On the AMCAS application it asks what languages you're fluent in. Parental address might give a clue, if they didn't return the the US with you. You might further highlight the issue, since your birthplace doesn't give any clues, with Secondary essays that ask a pertinent question, eg discuss a challenge you overcame, a challenge to your academic success, etc. I am not familiar with the AACOMAS application, but it likely gives similar opportunities.