Ok- I'm gonna do it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

becky_C

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to ask what my chances are. I'm starting to get thoroughly discouraged since I haven't heard much.

Undergrad: 3.045 (it's the 45 that matters) overall
BCMP: 2.6 (I had a good time.)

Grad school: 3.387 (all my classes counted)
graduated masters of applied statistics Dec 2005

MCAT: 29(8ps, 9bs, 12vr)

And I'm taking more classes to keep up: Got an A so far in molecular genetics and i'm taking a medical GIS class next year (b/c it sounds like fun)...

I worked full time for all my grad school (except the first semester) and I have some (though hardly extensive) volunteer/shadow experience. I've only applied to 2 school because of the whole family has roots thing. My husband is anti-moving since he has a pretty good job, and we bought a house.

Is there a reason I haven't heard? Are my undergrad grades that much of a hurtle??? Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you know that your MCAT score is average and your grades are lower than the averages at most if not all schools. That sub 3.0 is going to hurt you at a lot of schools. How many schools did you apply to, and did you pick them carefully? I think you're going to really need to do some damage control because of those grades. Also, what about the rest of your app? How are your ECs, LORs, essays, etc.?

I think you know that your MCAT score is average and your grades are lower than the averages at most if not all schools. That sub 3.0 is going to hurt you at a lot of schools. How many schools did you apply to, and did you pick them carefully? I think you're going to really need to do some damage control because of those grades. Also, what about the rest of your app? How are your ECs, LORs, essays, etc.?

My full time job takes up a lot of time, and is varied. It's an ordinary job- I'm the assistant to the dean in a college. I do grant writing, webprogramming, secretarial stuff, fundraising...etc. etc.

ECs- job, basically. When I was in undergrad I was in music a lot. But mostly now I work. I have 1 publication, 1 invited talk, and 1 poster presentation in spring. I do statistical consulting at the university and am on a federal grant in coastal studies. I shadowed for about 75 hours this summer and I have about 50 hours of volunteer hours that I got right after hurricane katrina...

My essay kicks butt, if I do say so myself, and I guess my letters are good. I think I chose wisely.

As far as schools- I applied to the two schools around me. My husband has a good job that he loves, and there are the usual considerations when you aren't single...money, mortgage, marriage :oops: I don't anticipate being able to move any time soon. As great as it'd be to be able to pack up and move to go to school, sometimes it isn't feasible. Unless I win the lotto. I'm not banking on that.

I am taking classes, still. In grad school, majority of my hours were statistics- mostly B's. These (unfortunately) count in the grad BCMP. If you take them out, my graduate bio/chem gpa is closer to a 3.8, but I don't know if they'll look at that or what.

So, am I pretty much screwed?

Members don't see this ad :)
My full time job takes up a lot of time, and is varied. It's an ordinary job- I'm the assistant to the dean in a college. I do grant writing, webprogramming, secretarial stuff, fundraising...etc. etc.

ECs- job, basically. When I was in undergrad I was in music a lot. But mostly now I work. I have 1 publication, 1 invited talk, and 1 poster presentation in spring. I do statistical consulting at the university and am on a federal grant in coastal studies. I shadowed for about 75 hours this summer and I have about 50 hours of volunteer hours that I got right after hurricane katrina...

My essay kicks butt, if I do say so myself, and I guess my letters are good. I think I chose wisely.

As far as schools- I applied to the two schools around me. My husband has a good job that he loves, and there are the usual considerations when you aren't single...money, mortgage, marriage :oops: I don't anticipate being able to move any time soon. As great as it'd be to be able to pack up and move to go to school, sometimes it isn't feasible. Unless I win the lotto. I'm not banking on that.

I am taking classes, still. In grad school, majority of my hours were statistics- mostly B's. These (unfortunately) count in the grad BCMP. If you take them out, my graduate bio/chem gpa is closer to a 3.8, but I don't know if they'll look at that or what.

So, am I pretty much screwed?
I don't know. It definitely makes things harder that you're so geographically limited. If you hadn't already applied, I would suggest that you call those two schools and talk to them about your situation. Now that you're an applicant, they probably won't be willing to counsel you until after they make a decision about your application. Do either of them offer early decision? If so, you might want to decide which one you prefer attending, and apply there ED next year if things don't work out this year. That will give you more time to shore up the GPA too. But if you don't get in, definitely contact the schools and start making a relationship with the admissions people. Ask them for advice on strengthening your app. That is the kind of thing that really helped me when I was applying. Tell them you will definitely go there if accepted. Also, make sure that you get top grades from now on. I think it is very important to show the schools that you can handle the workload. As hard as your classes may seem now, they will pale in comparison to the ones you'll be taking as an M1....good luck to you, becky. I hope things work out. :luck:

I don't know....good luck to you, becky. I hope things work out. :luck:

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I did just that last summer- I went and talked to an admissions guy at one of the schools. He said basically take more bio classes, which I'm doing and have done- I'm getting all As (excpet one B (so close!), but the lady wrote me a LOR, so...). Other than that he told me what was on the website when I asked questions.

C'est la vie, right? Thanks again

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I did just that last summer- I went and talked to an admissions guy at one of the schools. He said basically take more bio classes, which I'm doing and have done- I'm getting all As (excpet one B (so close!), but the lady wrote me a LOR, so...). Other than that he told me what was on the website when I asked questions.

C'est la vie, right? Thanks again

Just curious if your courseload (recent?) was full-time too. You mentioned that you had to work, so I am wondering if you are maintaining thsoe good grades under a full courseload. Were your recent courses graduate level or undergrad level? Remember that undergrad GPA is also weighted more than graduate GPA.

A <3.0 GPA, specifically a <3.0 science GPA is a pretty hefty handicap. Your VR score is excellent, while your PS/BS scores are average. IMO, based on quantitative stats, nothing really stands out in a good way. However that <3.0 sticks out like a sore thumb:(. You have shown recent academic improvement so that really helps.

Anyway, I think the real key would be to get the BCPM GPA up to a 3.0 or as close to it as possible. Make sure the classes you take are upper division undergrad classes, rather than graduate level courses. Med school courses may work too, but our med school has been kinda vague in this area. You're pretty much safe with taking upper division science classes since (1) it boosts your low BCPM undergrad GPA, and (2) readily available.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Just curious if your courseload (recent?) was full-time too. You mentioned that you had to work, so I am wondering if you are maintaining thsoe good grades under a full courseload. Were your recent courses graduate level or undergrad level? Remember that undergrad GPA is also weighted more than graduate GPA.

I purposely have been taking 4000 (undergrad/senior) level classes to avoid the graduate level stigma. My statistics classes were, of course, graduate level, but in stats it's hard to inflate grades b/c it's like math- it's either right or it's wrong most of the time. My course load was 3/4 most of the time, my last semester I was over full time. My job precludes me from working full time b/c I work at the university and, until very recently, kept tabs on how many hours you took. So I had a 40+ hr job plus I was about 3/4 time with course load. Except this semester I'm only taking one class because of personal stuff.

Oh, I graduated last December, so i'm classified as 'non matriculating' because I don't want to start another graduate program...

A <3.0 GPA, specifically a <3.0 science GPA is a pretty hefty handicap. Your VR score is excellent, while your PS/BS scores are average. IMO, based on quantitative stats, nothing really stands out in a good way. However that <3.0 sticks out like a sore thumb:(. You have shown recent academic improvement so that really helps.

I should have majored in English in undergrad so I could go back and take those prereqs now with a relatively clean slate...

Anyway, I think the real key would be to get the BCPM GPA up to a 3.0 or as close to it as possible.

If you separate my graduate BCPM from the undergrad, it's technically a 3.387 because of all my statistics classes. If you take away the stats classes, I have about 15-18 hours (i'd have to count) of upper level undergraduate biology and chemistry with a 3.8. I'm hoping they look at that and smile on me.

I did not apply to DO schools because there isn't one geographically accessible to me. Because of family considerations, I can't pack up and move. Otherwise, I'd have applied to more than 2 schools (even though the one I really want is here...).

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. :love:

Speaking as a person with a sub 3.0 Science GPA, you've got an uphill battle ahead of you.

If I can pull an A this semester in Org. II, I'm going to be VERY close to finally getting to 3.0 according to AACOM calculations...so I'm hopeful.

If I had known 8-12 years ago how bad those B's and C's in science classes that bored me to death were going to hurt me...I would have studied...Still, not bad for never studying.

Good luck to you. I'd say DO is going to be your best shot unless you get real fortunate with an MD program.

Which schools did you apply to? I think that you would definitely get accepted to an osteopathic school, but the allopathic schools can be "funny". Truthfully, I don't know if your MCAT is high enough for an MD school. I personally think it is a great score, but like I said they are "funny" especially about the MCAT. Do you have children? If not, could you move and let you husband stay there for a few years? I had a similar problem because I am married with four children. I didn't want to move, but my husband and I talked it over and decided that it was the best decision for our family. But, we don't have a mortgage and he doesn't have a job he loves. Limiting yourself to the two schools may be part of the problem. I assume that you applied early to them. I know it is really hard when there are more people to consider than just yourself. If you don't get in this year, I would consider retaking the MCAT and getting more clinical experience. I wish you the best of luck and hope that everything works out for you!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Which schools did you apply to? I think that you would definitely get accepted to an osteopathic school, but the allopathic schools can be "funny". Truthfully, I don't know if your MCAT is high enough for an MD school. I personally think it is a great score, but like I said they are "funny" especially about the MCAT. Do you have children? If not, could you move and let you husband stay there for a few years? I had a similar problem because I am married with four children. I didn't want to move, but my husband and I talked it over and decided that it was the best decision for our family. But, we don't have a mortgage and he doesn't have a job he loves. Limiting yourself to the two schools may be part of the problem. I assume that you applied early to them. I know it is really hard when there are more people to consider than just yourself. If you don't get in this year, I would consider retaking the MCAT and getting more clinical experience. I wish you the best of luck and hope that everything works out for you!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Thank you!!!! I applied to a state school and a private one that I'm not even holding my breath for. In reality, the state school is the one I want. I did apply early- was complete in early September. I got some shadowing experience this summer and as soon as my husband graduates and starts his job full time (more full time than he is now...which means he'll get paid for what he does) I might think of getting a more pertinent job.

We actually talked about the separation thing- but I just don't know about that. I'd have to do some major soul searching because we were apart a lot before we got married (he was military) and that totally sucked. We don't have kids, so that's a good thing.

Anyway, thanks for support group. It's a very hard thing to have your life in limbo, so it's nice to be able to rant and vent and read nice words.

Thank you!!!! I applied to a state school and a private one that I'm not even holding my breath for. In reality, the state school is the one I want. I did apply early- was complete in early September. I got some shadowing experience this summer and as soon as my husband graduates and starts his job full time (more full time than he is now...which means he'll get paid for what he does) I might think of getting a more pertinent job.

We actually talked about the separation thing- but I just don't know about that. I'd have to do some major soul searching because we were apart a lot before we got married (he was military) and that totally sucked. We don't have kids, so that's a good thing.

Anyway, thanks for support group. It's a very hard thing to have your life in limbo, so it's nice to be able to rant and vent and read nice words.

No news may be good news. At least you haven't been rejected. Maybe it will still work out, you never know. As for being apart from your husband, maybe you could work it out so it would only be for the first two years. Many schools will take transfer students after the end of the second year. If you could do that somehow, it probably wouldn't be that bad because the first two years are structured more like undergraduate in terms of the vacation time. I know it would be hard to be away from him, but it is only temporary and you have to decided whether you want to give up your dream. This is a great place to come and vent and rant and rave and whatever else! It is nice to be able to talk to people who are going through the same situation that you are. GOOD LUCK with everything! :luck:

What state are you from? You know a 5 to 7 hr drive really isnt that bad if there is a school with in that range, you could drive home everyother weekend or your husband can come to see you.

You know you can pretty much do a lot of your 3rd and 4th year anywhere, so you could choose locatoins close to your home. But even then you re likely gonna have to move when it comes time to do your residency, bc of the match system doesnt really let you choose directly.

If you re really picky about moving i guess your last option is internet med school hahaha (this really exists).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to ask what my chances are. I'm starting to get thoroughly discouraged since I haven't heard much.

And I'm taking more classes to keep up: Got an A so far in molecular genetics and i'm taking a medical GIS class next year (b/c it sounds like fun)...

I worked full time for all my grad school (except the first semester) and I have some (though hardly extensive) volunteer/shadow experience. I've only applied to 2 school because of the whole family has roots thing. My husband is anti-moving since he has a pretty good job, and we bought a house.

Is there a reason I haven't heard? Are my undergrad grades that much of a hurtle??? Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, y'all.

I think your MCAT is ok, its the GPA you are going to have issues with. The UG, but also the grad is on the lower side. No matter your MCAT they will need to see some course work I would think in the 3.8 range whether it be more undergrad or grad. You should speak with some medical school admissions officers, and I think most will tell you (give some advice) which will probably be that you need course work with a higher GPA. good luck.

... i guess your last option is internet med school hahaha (this really exists).

Seriously?

Not that I'm interested, but...damn, the internet is getting its grubby little hands into everything!

Keep us posted on what happens, Becky - that's what the non-trad forum is for. I think the advice you're getting is pretty honest - my opinion would be that being unable to move is a big handicap - but that's how life is sometimes for us non-trads. I think you're the type of student that many D.O. schools welcome - your VR 12 is terrific and shows a high ability to learn/reason, you're obviously highly motivated, and you'd be a great medical student.

In the allopathic world, however (long sigh here...), I think it's a roll of the dice, especially without knowing which state. I think your 29 total is going to be adequate for a state resident at most state-supported schools. The problem is, most traditional applicants don't have graduate credit so it doesn't get the consideration it deserves because it can't be compared to other applicants. Whether or not your recent improved performance gets the consideration it deserves probably depends on the mood of the reviewer who happens to get your file - unfortunately, some of this process is just random, and that's why applying broadly is a good idea - although your status as a state resident helps a great deal when you have sub-par stats. A sub-3.0 GPA in undergraduate work is going to hurt you a great deal. If it doesn't work this year, you may want to continue to accumulate some upper-division undergraduate credits, especially in the life sciences, and apply again (I was in my mid-40's when I was accepted, so don't give up hope!).

If your school has any type of outreach services to applicants who weren't accepted, do use it. Most schools will happily give state residents the honest truth on where the application fell short. Best of luck to you!

Keep us posted on what happens, Becky - that's what the non-trad forum is for. .... Best of luck to you!

Thanks! Y'all rock.

Also, pray for my grandma who was admitted to ICU Tuesday. We spent Thanksgiving in the hospital, but there is some improvement. I'll take all the prayers we can get!!!!

Thanks again for all the advice and stuff. I'll definitely keep y'all posted.

Seriously?

Not that I'm interested, but...damn, the internet is getting its grubby little hands into everything!

http://www.oceaniamed.org/about.htm

Make sure and watch the wonderful introduction movie :) (http://www.oceaniamed.org/clips/version2512K_Stream.wmv)

How'd you like to go under the knife from one of THEIR online graduates? LOL.

I think they've started to attract some attention. Hopefully won't take long for them to be shut down. Australia has been making some noise about trying. Obviously, their "students" can't practice anywhere other than maybe the Congo or Samoa... if even there. Still, makes you really feel sorry for the poor bastards in that video that have paid literally tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to be there.

Make sure and watch the wonderful introduction movie :) (http://www.oceaniamed.org/clips/version2512K_Stream.wmv)

I think they've started to attract some attention. Hopefully won't take long for them to be shut down. Australia has been making some noise about trying. Obviously, their "students" can't practice anywhere other than maybe the Congo or Samoa... if even there. Still, makes you really feel sorry for the poor bastards in that video that have paid literally tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to be there.

That cracks me up. I mean, in a sad way. I work for a Dean (not at a med school). But still, I'd like to see him show up in scrubs one day.

Question: Can you imagine another path for your life that you'd be happy with, and would you be able to choose that path and not have any major regrets about not pursuing medicine? If yes, I'd say that it isn't the end of the world if you don't get into one of your local schools (though, of course, I hope you do!).

If the answer to that question is no, maybe there's some more soul-searching to do. Your husband could, unless there is some bizarre circumstance, find work in many other places, but your chances to go to med school might be limited to cities with DO schools and/or easier-to-access MD schools. If this is really the thing that will make you happy and fulfilled, it is unfair of him to ask you to give up your dream entirely because of what is, to him, a preference.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck with your local schools, and I second the early decision advice. With luck, it will work out and you'll get the best of both worlds.

From the video it looked like they had like 5 students total in their "main class room" and all seemed to be Western. I wonder how many US students go there? Match list if they have one?

Didnt seem to have any real facilities at all. Hahah.

Question: Can you imagine another path for your life that you'd be happy with, and would you be able to choose that path and not have any major regrets about not pursuing medicine? If yes, I'd say that it isn't the end of the world if you don't get into one of your local schools (though, of course, I hope you do!).

If the answer to that question is no, maybe there's some more soul-searching to do. Your husband could, unless there is some bizarre circumstance, find work in many other places, but your chances to go to med school might be limited to cities with DO schools and/or easier-to-access MD schools. If this is really the thing that will make you happy and fulfilled, it is unfair of him to ask you to give up your dream entirely because of what is, to him, a preference.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck with your local schools, and I second the early decision advice. With luck, it will work out and you'll get the best of both worlds.

Yeah, i'm procrastinating on the soul searching until the spring. Still hoping beyond hope that my state school will realize what a wondeful person I am and embrace me with open arms!:laugh:

Yeah, i'm procrastinating on the soul searching until the spring. Still hoping beyond hope that my state school will realize what a wondeful person I am and embrace me with open arms!:laugh:

I hope you know that your gonna have to sacrifice a lot in med school. Moving away is just one thing of the many sacrifices to come.

I hope you know that your gonna have to sacrifice a lot in med school. Moving away is just one thing of the many sacrifices to come.

I am aware of that, thanks. But I don't think my marriage is a suitable lamb.

EDIT: Sorry for sounding sarcastic, but at this juncture, I'm not interested in ruining my husband's life to complete my dreams alone. Compromise is a big concept in marriage. Not fair to think one sided since I'm now one of a set. I truly belive things will work out. And I appreciate any and all input.

I am aware of that, thanks. But I don't think my marriage is a suitable lamb.

EDIT: Sorry for sounding sarcastic, but at this juncture, I'm not interested in ruining my husband's life to complete my dreams alone. Compromise is a big concept in marriage. Not fair to think one sided since I'm now one of a set. I truly belive things will work out. And I appreciate any and all input.

Cant your husband move with you? If absolutely not, what about nursing school? Nurse practioner are kinda like primary care docs? Again people at my school ARE in long distance relationships. After 2 years you maybe able to rotate closer to your husband. IF still not........well then I guess you didnt want med school enough.

What state are you from?

Cant your husband move with you? If absolutely not, what about nursing school? Nurse practioner are kinda like primary care docs? Again people at my school ARE in long distance relationships. After 2 years you maybe able to rotate closer to your husband. IF still not........well then I guess you didnt want med school enough.

What state are you from?

We can move, just not now. May be something we will do in the future... But right now, we're stuck.

woo hoo...Interview bound.

Congrats, and come on, tell us where.

Thanks, y'all.

All of us being on the Committee of Harvard can say you have a 12.3217472727272% chance of getting in, thank you for inquiring.

Congrats, and come on, tell us where.

LSUNO. Yes, this is my state school and I am so very jazzed!

And thanks for the stats Harvard committee..There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

(I got my M.S. in Damn Lies.)