Ok to be scared (pandemic) - you are not alone.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have fear / anxiety / difficulty concentrating because of the pandemic.

• Strongly agree

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Agree

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Disagree

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Strongly disagree

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More reason to be afraid...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Who would have said it was the right call? Literally everyone at the CDC. Glad he listened for once. I cant imagine another president who would not have made that same call. He also acquiesced on letting the sick passengers off that cruise ship against his own judgement.
DE BLASIO or DESANTIS or the democratic presidential aspirants and senators save GABBARD

Last edited:
Will this be 2020's best selling Halloween costume? Plague Doctor?

1585688801862.png

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Plague Doctor? I thought I saw that outfit in Eyes Wide Shut

This is what I got wrong...
Lets peg the avg annual flu deaths at 30K
CV is evidently up to 4x more contagious as the flu
There is no vaccine
There is probably a death rate at least twice annual flu

With these multipliers, there would easily be between 200 - 400k deaths and a proportional increase in severe hospitalizations without the mitigation efforts.

This is what I got wrong...
Lets peg the avg annual flu deaths at 30K
CV is evidently up to 4x more contagious as the flu
There is no vaccine
There is probably a death rate at least twice annual flu

With these multipliers, there would easily be between 200 - 400k deaths and a proportional increase in

That's what the experts are estimating our death toll to be as best case scenario aka 200K deaths...

As noted in the NYT today...viral ⎌load is not being adequately discussed. Probably because of the lack of adequate PPE supplies.

I am not that scared, it's more that I am sad for a number of reasons. Sad that we are less busy and not doing our real jobs. Sad that so many people didn't care enough to take it seriously early on. Sad that governmental preparations were so shoddy. Sad that so many businesses have to close. Sad that no one knows how long this is going to significantly affect our lives and to what extent. Sad that crappy people are taking advantage of the situation. Sad that mob behavior leads people to hoard and others to act selfishly in other ways.

I kind of feel like after a couple of months of this, when numerous field hospitals and alternative sites have been built and ventilator numbers are more adequate that things will start to open up and there will be a new normal of a continued rate of high numbers of significantly ill people until if and when a vaccine gets released (at which point it will get prioritized to everyone except regular people).

Most people I know and am around are handling things surprisingly well and are being rational and calm. Our group is taking more time off and limiting numbers who are working each day, and I am rather enjoying my quarantine days. Would be nice to know if I have already been infected at some point and never noticed (but I doubt it). Wish the media and data producers would put out more informative data like vent usage and hospitalizations instead of raw # of infection/# of death results.

Reactions: 4 users
I actually dont think the virus is even the main issue anymore. I think it will be the catalyst or lens that cause us to look deeper into elements of our society and economy and even our social interaction that will result in permanent, lasting change.

Also if people were whining about income/social status inequality before this..the virus just turned to civilization and said "Ah wait for it, hold my beer for a sec."

Members don't see this ad :)
What permanent changes though? I am worried it will exacerbate existing problems like inequality and lack of public services (you thought roads were bad before? Just wait!).

What permanent changes though? I am worried it will exacerbate existing problems like inequality and lack of public services (you thought roads were bad before? Just wait!).
More medical students will go into pathology to minimize their risk of dying in the future pandemics. Nah, I am just kidding. They will choose radiology instead.

If it’s Medicare for all wouldn’t pathology be pretty nicely positioned?

We don’t have overbearing work hours (in general). We don’t have to run to codes, or answer to nursing pages or new consults (most of us).

Medicare pays us better than private insurance in some instances?

No real clear alternative to our services like NP or PA. Our services are pretty crucial to patient management, especially in a government run healthcare system.

If academic salaries paid more like $225 to start and then got to $300 within 5 years or so this field would boom.

If it’s Medicare for all wouldn’t pathology be pretty nicely positioned?

We don’t have overbearing work hours (in general). We don’t have to run to codes, or answer to nursing pages or new consults (most of us).

Medicare pays us better than private insurance in some instances?

No real clear alternative to our services like NP or PA. Our services are pretty crucial to patient management, especially in a government run healthcare system.

If academic salaries paid more like $225 to start and then got to $300 within 5 years or so this field would boom.

When I read your last paragraph it almost makes me cry. $225 after all that education and (probable) debt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha

The psychological impact will be immeasurably huge. Realize we now live in a world where group emotion is amplified by social media, electronic connectiveness, which can be problematic even in the best of times but when things go much darker.. watch out for the bottom on this.

25%. 25% law enforcement absenteeism is level predicted by security experts to be the tipping point for the beginning of a slide into social unrest.

NYC is now above 15%.

Lol I don’t think there will be social unrest. Prob an increase in robberies or even looting of markets (worse case scenario) if people don’t have money and start to go hungry once their stimulus checks and their bank accounts run dry. I think there will be another round of checks.

I read somewhere stores in nyc were robbed of goods.

Lol I don’t think there will be social unrest. Prob an increase in robberies or even looting of markets (worse case scenario) if people don’t have money and start to go hungry once their stimulus checks and their bank accounts run dry. I think there will be another round of checks.

Government is bankrupt bud. Soon they will be writing checks with zero actual monetary value.

I've got enough body fat to survive 1-2 months without food.

All of you skinny folk won't last that long!

• Love
Anyone hear they are now threatening to lock healthcare workers in NYC hospitals if they try to flee?? Will be very very interesting if that is true.

• Wow
Anyone hear they are now threatening to lock healthcare workers in NYC hospitals if they try to flee?? Will be very very interesting if that is true.

haven't heard that. Anyone know if there is a gag order for doctors and residents to not report the death of a physician on social media? There’s rumors of deaths of two residents in nyc but No one seems to know which hospital. There has been a death of a dmd md in Detroit however.

61DD65DE-C6B1-4D62-B54B-129344A19E6C.jpeg

CDA3D6A0-C9EA-47CF-85ED-5A5ED87FEC70.png

CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS news, and others.

I don't trust Fox News.

sigh...oh young pathologist, the world is filled with liars, you have just chosen the liars who are resonating with your inner voice.

In your mind's echo chamber, Im sure these "news outlets" get the story right every time. It relieves you of having to question anything, which understandably can be quite painful on occasion.

I would love for SDN people to actually meet me in RL. Maybe when this is all over I will go to some conference and actually stay sober enough to meet some of you guys/gals. My hint will be: look out across a vast conference of pathologists for a guy who looks nothing like a pathologist and that will be me.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
sigh...oh young pathologist, the world is filled with liars, you have just chosen the liars who are resonating with your inner voice.

In your mind's echo chamber, Im sure these "news outlets" get the story right every time. It relieves you of having to question anything, which understandably can be quite painful on occasion.

I would love for SDN people to actually meet me in RL. Maybe when this is all over I will go to some conference and actually stay sober enough to meet some of you guys/gals. My hint will be: look out across a vast conference of pathologists for a guy who looks nothing like a pathologist and that will be me.

I have seen retractions from the news sources that I follow. I have seen them fire reporters for lying. Brian Williams was the news anchor for NBC Nightly News until he lied. So, I am aware that the news is not 100% accurate.

I have seen retractions from the news sources that I follow. I have seen them fire reporters for lying. Brian Williams was the news anchor for NBC Nightly News until he lied. So, I am aware that the news is not 100% accurate.

One bit of advice: never watch too much news you agree with. Always watch as much news as can you that you disagree with. Always hold a bit of your mind as the contrarian analytic.

One bit of advice: never watch too much news you agree with. Always watch as much news as can you that you disagree with. Always hold a bit of your mind as the contrarian analytic.
I agree, they all have their own biases. I usually read my news, including international sources as well to get a better picture.

OMG hahahahahaha best SDN stuff EVAH! Med students think they should have their start date delayed because things are a bit too chaotic at the moment! hahahahahahaa

Let me sit this peak out safely at home so I can ride my Peloton bike while watching Netflix before I start a stressful internship...Um no. I love this though! I love all you guys, its like reading posts my from baby daughter. She said last week she doesnt need to go back to school because with a flat screen TV in her room with My Little Ponies on repeat, she is "getting all the education she needs in life."

I love all you, stay safe kids!

i think china’s report is bull s***.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't trust the Chinese government. The US news agencies report what the Chinese government says, but I don't believe what China says.

• Love