okay to hang suit in airplane closet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al3kci2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as i understand, most airplane's will have a closet you can hang your suit in. is there any reason not too? anyone ever have their suit damaged or lost or stolen?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never had a problem. You might get a foldable bag and put it in the overhead compartment if you are worried about it. I've also done this with no wrinkles to worry about.

Geronimo said:
I've never had a problem. You might get a foldable bag and put it in the overhead compartment if you are worried about it. I've also done this with no wrinkles to worry about.

some only let first class use the hanging closet. in that case, make sure you have a bag that will fit in the overhead bin.

Members don't see this ad :)
i used the closets for my suit on american airlines and had no problems.

I'm going to get a trifold carry on garment bag for carrying my suit.

i just got one of those folding luggage things that allows you to put a suit, dress shirts and your shoes in there...

def worth the 30 dollars i spent.

al3kci2 said:
as i understand, most airplane's will have a closet you can hang your suit in. is there any reason not too? anyone ever have their suit damaged or lost or stolen?

i never knew about this. cool.

jlee9531 said:
i just got one of those folding luggage things that allows you to put a suit, dress shirts and your shoes in there...

Did you get it from Costco?

al3kci2 said:
I flew on spirit airlines (use delta airplanes) last week, and they didn't let you hang your suit

just wear the suit, but before you sit down take off the pants, fold them, and place them over your lap.

I saw this with the Maestro in a Seinfeld episode.

It works a treat. Just make sure noone is eating italian food next to you...

Another good tip: put your suit in a plastic cleaner's bag inside you suit bag. It will cut down on your wrinkling. A steamer is also a good idea.

Ed

edmadison said:
Another good tip: put your suit in a plastic cleaner's bag inside you suit bag. It will cut down on your wrinkling.

Ed

Hmm. I never would have thought about that. And what's a steamer? Like a mini iron? Can I buy one at CostCo?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can now buy coffins at Costco, so I'm sure you can get suit luggage there, too. :D

Remember that Southwest doesn't allow you to hang anything up as it's cattle call seating.

Just ask the flight attendants. Explain what you are doing and most will have some mercy on you. I highly recommed a foldable garment bag though.

AND...

Keep the plastic bags the dry-cleaners give you over your clothes. It will definitely cut down the wrinkling.

jlee9531 said:

doesn't it put wrinkles/folds in your suit?

DireWolf said:
doesn't it put wrinkles/folds in your suit?

It may, but if you keep your stuff in separate dry-cleaner bags the wrinkiling is dramaticly diminished. Besides it doesn't take much to iron a shirt at the hotel (or host student's house).

the dry cleaner bags are what you get when you pickup items from the dry-cleaners or is it a bag with the dry cleaner chemicals?

John Deere Gree said:
It may, but if you keep your stuff in separate dry-cleaner bags the wrinkiling is dramaticly diminished. Besides it doesn't take much to iron a shirt at the hotel (or host student's house).

stoleyerscrubz said:
the dry cleaner bags are what you get when you pickup items from the dry-cleaners or is it a bag with the dry cleaner chemicals?

They are what you get when you pickup items from the dry-cleaners. Also, know that southwest doesn't have a closet for you to hang stuff, so make sure you take a foldable bag for overhead bin. Honestly, I just folded mine up in a zip up bag (they were in a dry cleaner bag inside) and crammed them into the compartment, not many wrinkles. And about the person who asked about the steamer, it is just that, you put water and it heats it to steam, run over clothes for fast wrinkle removal. Hanging them in closed bathroom with hot shower on can work too, though not as well.

Alexander Pink said:
Hanging them in closed bathroom with hot shower on can work too, though not as well.

this reminds me of the time i did this in my bathroom, i basically had water dripping from the ceiling in large moist drops and almost slipped on the wet floor...fun times

runner1979 said:
some only let first class use the hanging closet. in that case, make sure you have a bag that will fit in the overhead bin.

wait, you mean you're not all flying first class?! :cool:

Pardon my ignorance but is something wrong with folding your suit in your travel bag and ironing it when you need it? Does ironing not work?

i think we're lazy and rather not iron. not all hotels accomedate you with an iron.

As for me, i'll be brining my suit in a black plastic bag that i got from where i bought the suit then fold it into my suitcase

my mom taught me this trick to avoid wrinkles: stuff a little bit of newspaper or tissue paper (like one sheet, not a whole bunch) inside your suit and sleeves before you put it in one of those trifold bags, helps it resist creasing. they do something similar when you get clothes back from the cleaner. i tried it on my trip this weekend and it seemed to work. good luck on your interview!

what do u mean put it inside the suit and sleeves? like actually slide the newspaper as if the newspaper is wearing the suit? or stuff paper were the folding occurs?

Actually the material your suit is made from usually makes a difference on this. What you want is worsted wool (high-quality wool). Then you can put your suit in a garmet bag and stuff it into the overhead. As soon as you get to the hotel room hang it on a hanger, and by the morning -- no wrinkles. I've never had to iron a suit (pants sometimes).

I have burned too many pants and shirts to try to iron a suit!

But if you are going to carryon a suitcase, and take a purse you couldn't also carry on a suit in a garment bag...Maybe I should check the luggage and carry on the suit in a garment bag? We're of the consensus that packing the suit in a suitcase is a bad idea?

Code Brown said:
Remember that Southwest doesn't allow you to hang anything up as it's cattle call seating.

HEY :mad: I like SW and am using it to go to EVMS, I enjoy my double snacks, thank you

AxlxA said:
what do u mean put it inside the suit and sleeves? like actually slide the newspaper as if the newspaper is wearing the suit? or stuff paper were the folding occurs?

I was thinking angie meant to stuff the sleeves sorta like a scarecrow but not so puffy. :D

N1DERL& said:
I was thinking angie meant to stuff the sleeves sorta like a scarecrow but not so puffy. :D

what if you stuffed it so much that you had to buy another seat?

I say wear the suit, walk up to the counter and see if they can upgrade you to first class. Sometimes they'll move you up for free, if not, practice your interview skills with your neighbors. It's crazy how much they reveal about what they want and don't want their physician to be.

One thing to remember about checking bags when going to interviews: there is a freak chance they'll get lost and you'll be without your dress shoes, or clean underwear or a curling iron or whatever. I had a suit bag that was able to accomodate my suit, dress shoes and a change of clothes. Then I was able to carry on everything I needed the next day w/o fear of losing it. Also, if you have to make a connection, there is a greater chance of losing checked bags. Although this rarely happens, it's something to think about.....

oh right, i do have alot of connectiosn....definately not checking, but i don't know if a suit bag can accomodate my suit plus everything else...hmmm....

crys20 said:
oh right, i do have alot of connectiosn....definately not checking, but i don't know if a suit bag can accomodate my suit plus everything else...hmmm....

hey crys-

if you're going on a short trip, bring your suit bag and grab a backpack to put the rest of your stuff into (including your purse as long as it's not one of those monstrous ones! ;) ) and take it as a carry-on. i did this and it worked really well...

:confused: how did this thread get to 2 pages?

it. said:
:confused: how did this thread get to 2 pages?

because if we all obsess about the interview clothes, we don't have to think about the components of the interview that actually matter...like what we say :cool:

jbrice1639 said:
because if we all obsess about the interview clothes, we don't have to think about the components of the interview that actually matter...like what we say :cool:
Even if you mumble all of your words, the thought you put into your outfit will carry you through :laugh:

AxlxA said:

Don't you get newsprint on the fabric?

al3kci2 said:

Yes they will hang it up but only if there is space available....and first class passengers get first dibs on that space...some airlines are now only allowing first class passengers to keep stuff in the closet....Good luck with that...Or you can just invest in a good suit back (like someone mentioned a trifold) and just check it....

Good luck with your interviews!!!! :D :D :D
And congrats of making it this far.....keep on chugging like the little blue engine :D :D :D

cya!

all right i am gonna get a nice suit bag and put it in there and try to stuff everything including my enormous purse (yes, i know :)) into a carryon piece of luggage.

all right i am gonna get a nice suit bag and put it in there and try to stuff everything including my enormous purse (yes, i know :)) into a carryon piece of luggage.

Sorry to bump an old thread but it has some good advice. Anyone with any other advice for traveling with a suit? Can I roll it, pack it in a suitcase and travel with that?

has anyone ever used a rolly garment bag like this one: http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Produc...=25439&Page=1&CmCatId=25439|39269|48242|48610

are those carry-onable? i definitely saw a woman with a similar one on my southwest flight recently. i really wanted a roll-y one so i wouldnt have to lug it around

I do have one of those! Mine is pretty streamlined and it really depends on how strict they are being about the rules if you can carry it on or not.

Also, don't forget, if you bought your suit at the Mens warehouse, they will press it for free why you wait at any location. THey are in a lot of cities.

Just don't forget about it before you get off. once, I left mine in an airport bus, but luckily, I was able to find it after searching for an hour or so...