Okay to shadow a D.O. if applying to allopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhyno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure that I want to go allopathic, but it would be convenient for me to shadow my D.O. Would this matter much from an experience or allopathic admissions standpoint?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. Since it gives you a more diverse experience. If it ever comes up, you can mention how the experience made you even more certain about pursuing allopathic medicine (if that is in fact the case).

I seriously doubt it. If you can get medical experience handling paperwork in an ER, then I am sure a D.O. will be spiffy.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure that I want to go allopathic, but it would be convenient for me to shadow my D.O. Would this matter much from an experience or allopathic admissions standpoint?

Saying you shadowed Dr. Anderson in the clinic on this and this day is not going to require any mentioning of the D.O or M.D. degree, regardless if it is on your application or in an interview. The only time it would be visible would be if you got a letter of rec from him. Under any conditions, I can't see why it would hurt you.

Just say you shadowed a physician and provide his/her name. I shadowed an ER physician who ended up being a DO.. its hard to plan these things in the emergency room.

Are you serious or a troll?

Either way, get real.

Just say you shadowed a physician and provide his/her name. I shadowed an ER physician who ended up being a DO.. its hard to plan these things in the emergency room.

YOU spoke with a DO??? Wow ... did you pass out when you found out he was a common osteopath??? :laugh:

What? I'm sure as soon as you found out he was a DO, you explained to him (as a pre-med) that his degree is not respected as an MD. Oh, and did you mention to him that it sucks that he has to explain his degree to every patient - since I'm sure as you saw first hand, every patient does ask, right?

Please tell me you asked him for a LOR. That would just be too funny :laugh:

I shadowed many DOs, and put them on both allopathic and osteopathic applications. No one cares about the degree. Shadowing a DO orthopedic surgeon is the same as an MD orthoepdic surgeon. The schools wont care. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not pick on __________ day. Relax. Antagnonizers get strung up by their toes, over a cliff, with a frayed rope.

Passing over that irony would be the true violation of TOS.

I don't understand why everyone's going off on the OP...

If DO truly equals MD, then the DO schools wouldn't have specifically required shadowing a DO. It's only fair to think that maybe the MD schools would have similar reasoning. After all, both schools are going to make you a "doctor", right? ;)

i like the way the osteopath students cruise by to make fun of the op for asking this question.

Meanwhile their forum is filled with threads about how you have to shadow a do to get into ____com, and how to show proper devotion to the priniciples that make them different, even though there really aren't any.

qft

I like the way the Osteopath students cruise by to make fun of the OP for asking this question.

Meanwhile their forum is filled with threads about how you have to shadow a DO to get into ____COM, and how to show proper devotion to the priniciples that make them different, even though there really aren't any.
Is any allopath going to demonstrate OMM? More than likely not. I didn't shadow because my physician was a DO, I shadowed because I had to shadow. It just so happened that I later found out a DO letter is strongly encouraged if not required. But then again, I tend to do things ass backwards.

I am applying only to MD schools but I have found that shadowing a DO is MUCH easier then shadowing an MD. For many DO schools it seems to be required that you must shadow a DO and get an LOR from them to be admitted. In my experience this has meant that they are very receptive to having shadows with them and there are even a few websites, which have names of DO in your area who you can contact and shadow. I have not had ANY success shadowing an MD because I have always been given excuses about insurance or some hospital policy. So I say go for it just for the fact that they are more accessible and willing.

I shadowed before I knew it was a good idea to do so. I know you may find this hard to believe, but some people are actually genuinely interested in medicine. Crazy how that works.

Lets address the question at hand. We are not running campaigns therefore deliberately bringing up the past has no point in this discussion. People are entitled to their opinions and can express them when they aren't attacking others. Final warning.

Lets address the question at hand. We are not running campaigns therefore deliberately bringing up the past has no point in this discussion. People are entitled to their opinions and can express them when they aren't attacking others. Final warning.

Yup, screw it ... I'm removing the stuff I put in the thread.

EDIT: Removed all my comments (bad ones) from the thread. I hope that all contributers, despite their SDN ranks, will be punshied for absurd behavior. Everyone should simply report posts instead of stooping low (like me). Didn't mean to mess anything up Bacchus, thanks for keeping the peace.

Are any DO's going to demonstrate OMM? And if they do, how many won't preface it with, "I never really use this and you probably won't after medical school, but this is how you do it . . . "

Yes. Ive shadowed multiple DOs who use OMM on a regular basis. They are both in sports medicine practices. They also both said how strange they think it is that other DOs in in similar practices don't utilize OMM to their advantage.

Are any DO's going to demonstrate OMM? And if they do, how many won't preface it with, "I never really use this and you probably won't after medical school, but this is how you do it . . . "
I didn't know OMM existed until I saw it used. The PCP I shadowed used it regularly. I guess I got lucky.

Lame. I didn't shadow at all.
More and more "requirements" are placed upon applicants as time goes on. I shadowed after my freshman year. I wasn't sure medicine is what I wanted yet. I had to witness it somehow.

Honestly, this sounds like the pre-allo folks who say, "I'm not volunteering to stock carts in the ER because I have to, I'm doing it because I really enjoy it."
I didn't plan on applying DO. However, given my statistics and experiences shadowing, it became a necessary option for me.

:laugh: I think its great that this has been such an explosive thread, yet the OP has only posted once. In the OP's entire existence, they have only written two sentences. Goes to show how things can get blown out of proportion on the internet..

Alright, sorry to interrupt, get back to the poo-flinging!

I shadowed a couple DOs, NPs, and PAs. I didn't get any LORs from any of them or even have a reason to give their names specifically. How any school would've been able to figure out what the initials after their names are is beyond me.

I shadowed many MDs and one DO. The DO was the only medical doctor who wrote a recommendation, which I used for allopathic schools. It doesn't really matter.

Thanks to those who provided productive input. It is beyond me as to how a couple people managed to take offense to the original question.

Are you going to shadow a MD too? If you do, you could say that having experience shadowing both DO & MD gives you more insight into the profession and how different individuals practice following different theoretical frameworks & personal preferences. It's something that can only help you.