okay, who else is done with this MOCA ****?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VolatileAgent

Livin' the dream
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've just about completely had it with this nonsense. stupid questions. some take 3 seconds to answer. others, you can't even read the question in 1 minute. a lot of the answers are controversial or not clear cut.

time to say **** you once and for all to ABA and work on figuring out a different pathway. who's with me?

Members don't see this ad.

i've just about completely had it with this nonsense. stupid questions. some take 3 seconds to answer. others, you can't even read the question in 1 minute. a lot of the answers are controversial or not clear cut.

time to say **** you once and for all to ABA and work on figuring out a different pathway. who's with me?
Everybody within retirement range. :p

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Former CSA President Karen Sibert's opinion-

Reactions: 1 users
Of all the things to hate about MOC, it is surprising the MOCA minute is the straw that broke the camel's back. I just casually do these over the course of a month on my phone, usually finishing them within the first week, and the minimum for them is embarrassingly low.

Reactions: 2 users
Of all the things to hate about MOC, it is surprising the MOCA minute is the straw that broke the camel's back. I just casually do these over the course of a month on my phone, usually finishing them within the first week, and the minimum for them is embarrassingly low.
Yeah MOCA Minute isn't bad. This quarter's 30 became available today and I did about 20 of them over breakfast.

I don't find getting quizzed over the definition of deep sedation to be real useful.

Thr farcical nature of the whole thing and the $2100 fee (conveniently broken up into ten easy installments) offend me, but I'm stuck doing it. I can't not maintain my ABA cert.

Motivated by this thread, I just went back and finished the last few. The app was very buggy and timed out a bunch. I went to the web site and many times it listed my progress as 0 for q1 q2 q3 and q4, then let me proceed after a few refreshes.

And then I got 7 or 8 repeat questions that I had already answered this morning.

:eyeroll:

Still beats a q10year recert exam at a prometric test center full of noisy kids taking whatever test noisy kids take at prometric test centers.

Don’t mind MOCA minute per se. But that, plus initial certification, plus active practice and standard CME should be sufficient. The other stuff plus the fees is garbage.

MOCA minute is easy, but not particularly useful. What bugs me the most is that it doesn’t count for CME. I have to do MOCA minute then shell out more money for ACE questions that are often repeats of MOCA minutes. The whole system is unnecessarily convoluted and I lose track of what silly testing requirement I am due to complete. Condense MOC and CME into one, easily navigated and streamlined process, and there will be a lot less complaining from everyone.

MOC and CME and ACLS and PALS plus whatever PowerPoint a particular hospital requires you to watch on hand washing and “the Swiss cheese model,” becomes a unrelenting deluge of requirements that it’s almost impossible to keep track of them all.

I 100% agree that MOCA Minute should count for some amount of CME hours rather than 0. It's absurd that there are no "perks" within the society for maintaining certification. It would make sense if something like the ACE Exams were free for up to date certified members.

I wish someone explained this stuff to me in residency. where do i read teh requierments about cme/moca or whatever that we need to do after graduation? here i am just thinking about how stupid oral/osce board exam is.

I wish someone explained this stuff to me in residency. where do i read teh requierments about cme/moca or whatever that we need to do after graduation? here i am just thinking about how stupid oral/osce board exam is.

LMGTFY: The American Board of Anesthesiology - About MOCA 2.0

Don’t forget if you are doing an ACGME-approved fellowship you get 50 CMEs at the end of the year so don’t bother logging much your first year, you can only get a maximum of 60 per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
No need to burden residents with that, years before they become board-certified. This stuff changes all the time, and all the info is on the ABA website.

One doesn't enter MOCA until one passes the boards. Hence, one won't receive credit for fellowship unless one is board-certified at the end of the year one finishes one's fellowship in.

No it doesn't. I never applied for them, but those 50 hours suddenly showed up in my MOCA list after I finished, and I, too, had a several year gap between residency and fellowship.
Well that’s not what the website says. Nor the actual person I spoke to and explained my situation to. Maybe she didn’t know what she was talking about but their website specifically states that.

However, I sure hope you are right and I am wrong.

Well that’s not what the website says. Nor the actual person I spoke to and explained my situation to. Maybe she didn’t know what she was talking about but their website specifically states that.

However, I sure hope you are right and I am wrong.
Weird, maybe it was a mistake in my favor, although the CME were unneeded, as I cashed in about 75hrs from the Chest app's questions for board review.

This only applies if you do fellowship IMMEDIATELY after residency.
Guess how I found out?

Golly, that’s dumb if true. How does that make ANY sense?

Anyway I think you can apply for Cat 1 Credit with the AMA for ACGME fellowship completion (I did for obtaining ABA certification and handled all of my state CME in one fell swoop). Looks like it’s only 20 or so hours for a fellowship but that’s better than zip and since it’s Category 1 credit it’s reportable to ABA (but they should still honor the 50, in my opinion).

More info here:

For what it’s worth I finished fellowship July 1 and it didn’t show up in CME portal until Dec 31. I’d call and ask them, they are pretty friendly on the phone.

In order to be participating in MOC for internal medicine, all I have to do is click a box every year saying I am participating in MOC for another specialty...and pay them $200. If that’s not a scam then I don’t know what a scam is.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

I’d be done with MOCA if it were actually optional. I don’t value being able to say I’m board certified and I think doing CMEs to maintain my license provides all the benefit of MOCA with minimal unnecessary expense. The practice improvement requirement is unnecessary busy work to justify taking our money and has no value in actually improving practices. Same thing for patient safety CMEs.
All that said, MOCA is not optional. I couldn’t keep my job without it so I am a captive source of funds for the ABA. Until someone wins a lawsuit to shut down required maintenance of certification I’ll be participating in MOCA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user