Old Edition vs. New Edition of Organic Chem as Second Language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CluelessAsian

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This semester is finally almost over and I'm gonna start ochem next semester. My question is what is the difference between the old edition and new edition of Organic Chemistry As Second Language? I can get a cheap old edition but I don't want to get it if it does not cover as much as the new edition. Is the new edition really that much different from the first one? Thanks! Hope you guys have a greaatt summer!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of that book...but i'd guess that the main difference wld be a couple added pics in the new edition...and maybe some added rxns n examples. Nothing major at all.
Gosh I hated it when profs demand that students use updated textbooks when I was in college...they are hardly any different but cost 10x as much as the previous edition.
I dont ever recall buyin an updated edition...

I used the old edition and thought it was great. I had both I and II. They were both awesome. So, if it comes down to a major difference in price I would go with the old, unless they included new material AND you think that material will be helpful to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of that book...but i'd guess that the main difference wld be a couple added pics in the new edition...and maybe some added rxns n examples. Nothing major at all.
Gosh I hated it when profs demand that students use updated textbooks when I was in college...they are hardly any different but cost 10x as much as the previous edition.
I dont ever recall buyin an updated edition...

I had to for Ochem, because I needed the access code that was in the new edition for a software program that allowed my prof to give us quizzes. I was pissed, especially when I saw the total, it was about $200 more than the previous edition and that was the discount price online! That professor failed...

I used the old edition and thought it was great. I had both I and II. They were both awesome. So, if it comes down to a major difference in price I would go with the old, unless they included new material AND you think that material will be helpful to you.

There's like 1 extra chapter and it's like 60 more pages. But I don't know how significant that is. I just don't know, heh.