Older applicant needs reassurance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bartonaw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been lurking for some time, and would like to ask a few specific questions.

First, I am an older applicant...I took a detour in my career towards basic research, but I am determined now to get back on my correct path and train to be a physician.

I have applied to Irish schools due to my lower GPA in undergrad (same old story...didnt apply myself to basic courses or ones I erringly thought were of no use to me in med school, however did well in advanced coursework and graduate degree).

I would like to hear from some on what they feel my chances are of being made an offer. I have applied to all schools in Ireland. Critical info below:

Undergrad: All 2.84, science 2.94 (Saint Louis University)
Graduate: M.Sc. Cell Biology 3.61 (Saint Louis University)
8yrs academic and pharma research positions
MCATs 2003 9,12,14,S 2005 12,9,14,P (PS,VR,BS,essay)

I am applying to a number of schools in US, but I am affraid my undergrad GPA will prevent me from obtaining an interview.

I have read the pro's/cons of Ireland vs US vs Carib...and based upon my personality and having visited Ireland---I would best fit in Ireland (even if accepted to lower tier of US schools). Plus I have future plans to want to practice internationally and the EU portability of the Irish degree seems beneficial.

Any comments would be appreciated...I do not want to start a debate as to the relative benefits/drawbacks of each choice. I feel they are adequately addressed in other forums.

I would like to hear from Irish medical students/graduates...this is going to be a LONG 4-5 months. If you would rather communicate by pm...please feel free to send me a note.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats sound pretty good to me but no one really knows. I know your MCAT scores will help and your GPA/MSc combo should put you in the hunt. I guess it all depends on who you're competing against in a given cycle. The applicants probably keep getting better each year but you sound solid. Yes, the wait is agonizing. Good luck.

Thank you, UNCH for the reply. I agree...I have been trying to interpret how the applications are evaluated, but I am finding it difficult without comprehensive stats. Anecdotal evidence is usually skewed. I visited Ireland, mentioned that in the essay...tried to follow suggestions here and stressed my experience, desire and maturity, but it is difficult to have a reference point. Underscored even more by the fact that there isn't an interview.

Thanks again. Hope to see you next year :D