Older guy feeling guilty parents want to pay for school (1st world problems)

Started by DMMJK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DMMJK

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So hi everyone, here's the deal. I'm starting medical school at my state school this August and I'm 30 years old. I spent four years as a CPA after obtaining my bachelor's and master's in accounting(both obtained from state schools) and I am just now finishing up a one year special master's program at an out-of-state program, after having already had to go back and create my own post-bac to complete the medical school science prerequisites. I decided three years ago that I wasn't happy in the business world and that I wanted to pursue something which had always interested me, which was medicine.

I am the oldest of three children and both of my parents are specialist physicians. My two younger siblings are 26 and 28 and are both financially independent after attending out-of-state privates for undergrad and attending top-tier out of state law and medical schools, respectively. My parents ended up putting approximately $850,000 toward their education ($475,000 for the medical school graduate and $365,000 for the law school graduate) and so for all intents and purposes, they are now financially independent. My parents did float the cost of my undergrad and master's in accounting at one of our state schools (which cost about $70k in total), and they insisted on paying for the two years of post-bac classes at my local state university ($15k in both tuition and food, I saved money by moving back home in my late 20s and saving on rent). So they have put about $135,000 toward my education. Back when I was getting my bachelor's and accounting master's I was young and ignorant and so I didn't even realize how lucky I was to be having my parents pay for my education. But when I decided to pursue this medical dream, I tried to convince my parents that I should be the one to take out the $15k in loans for the state university science classes and living expenses and $50k for the special master's and that I should also take out the $200k in loans to fund the cost of tuition and living expenses for four years at my state medical school. They are refusing which believe me, I am incredibly grateful for, but I really wonder if this is the right path that I should be taking.

I'm 30, almost 31, and I just can't help but think that although there are significant advantages to being free of loans after medical school, there are disadvantages as well. The primary disadvantage of not taking out the $200k debt for medical school is that I feel like I'm in a different situation from my siblings. They came right out of private colleges into private medical schools and law schools, and even though they've both incurred more in educational expenses than I will have even after finishing medical school, I can't get it out of my mind that my situation is different. They knew what their ultimate goals were immediately after finishing college became financially independent of my parents by the time they were 26. If I let my parents pay for this, I will be taking money from them until I graduate in May of 2017, at which point I'll be a month shy of my 35th birthday. I am a single guy and my last relationship ended with my girlfriend 5 years ago, and I had planned on trying to meet someone during the little free time I have in law school. Most women in the age range I'd be looking at (late 20s to early 30s) are undoubtedly financially independent and I think they'd look askance at a guy in his 30s taking money for tuition and living expenses with his parents. I should note that this is not a financial imposition on my parents, because they are both still working in their late 50s and have already exceeded their nest egg goal for retirement. I'm grateful to them for the sincere offer, but I also realized that while my siblings and I were not spoiled children in terms of having a vacation house or other needless things like expensive imported autos, we were in fact spoiled by the fact that our parents have covered the cost of our education to date.

I want to make it clear that if my parents were middle-class or even upper-middle class but unsure about retirement prospects, that I would never ever consider having them help me with medical school, but my parents saved diligently through the years and saved almost one and a half million dollars toward their three children's future educations, so they aren't counting on the money at all. They have long-term care insurance and life insurance and all that jazz, so the only financial thing I will be doing by not taking out loans is taking away money from my two brothers who will receive less money after my parents pass on, but they obviously don't care about that either.

So to sum up (and I sincerely apologize for the length of the post) my primary reason for being reluctant to accept their financial assistance is because I'm in my 30s and I feel that makes me different than my two brothers who I'm sure don't feel guilty at all. And girls who I'd be bound to date would most likely think that I was just sponging off my parents and wouldn't think much of it. I'm beyond grateful for all the help that my parents have given me so far (most recently for letting me move back into their house to avoid paying rent while I took the science prerequisites), but I'm interested in hearing any thoughts that you have about this.

I thought one compromise that might make me feel better is letting the parents pay for the 200k in tuition but taking out the 80k living expenses in loans, that way I'm shouldering some of the burden and don't look AS MUCH like a guy in his 30s sponging off his parents (even though I would be). I know that some will say it isn't like I'm going nowhere in life and just buying cars and stuff with the money they're giving me but I'm still sponging in my opinion.

Specific numbers for anyone who cares:

Parental net worth: ~$7-8 million
Annual income: ~$500,000-$550,000
 
Last edited:
If your parents are capable of helping you and want to help you then by all means let them!!! I respect that you want to be independent but take advantage of your situation. Come out debt free and someday pay it forward by funding some other kid's med school.

Any girl who won't date you because your parents are paying for med school is shallow anyway.

Also if you don't end up taking the money can I have your parents' phone #? I want to apply for the scholarship you turned down 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This has come up before on SDN. From the parents perspective here (but, don't worry, I'm not YOUR parent), my spouse and I made a decision early on that one of our primary financial goals was to ensure that our children completed their education debt-free. My parents did this for me and it represents a core value we hold. I am grateful that pediatrics is one of those medical specialties where we can do this.😛

I only ask my children one thing. No, it's not to be successful professionals, they will do that anyway. It is to do the same thing for their children if at all possible.

Take the money. Be grateful for your parents ability and willingness to do this and save the angst for whether to get a strawberry or raspberry smoothie.
 
Specific numbers for anyone who cares:

Parental net worth: ~$7-8 million
Annual income: ~$500,000-$550,000

....Lucky you.

Well, if you want to be responsible for your own education, take loans like the rest of us...But I would date a debt-free guy in place of a guy with 200k loans. I don't know what you want to hear from us on SDN... Or take the money from your parents and pay "forward" by donating to SDN.

I would be extremely grateful to have parents who make 500k a year and are willing to pay for my med school.
 
Last edited:
Take the money. Life is short and situations can change quickly. It's rewarding for most parents to see their children succeed and be able to help anyway. In time you can pay them back in other ways.

As far as what other people think...they're just jealous or pretentious. 😎 You've obviously worked very hard to get where you are and will continue to. The opportunities to do good for everyone around you are greater when you have money.
 
Written before reading your entire (long) post --

If paying for your medical school endangers their retirement, then yes, you should refuse. But if they're both specialist MDs, then it probably doesn't... And you can accept graciously knowing that they are enormously proud of you and happy to be able to do this for you. Realize also that if you refuse, they may very well just tack the difference onto your eventual inheritance. Many parents would consider that 'only fair' -- and it is, really.

Now, having finished your post --

One thing my parents said to me that helped (at a time when I protested accepting a major financial gift in a similar situation) -- "This money will be yours someday, either now or when we die. It will do you a lot more good now than it will later, and we will be around to see you benefit from it, which will give us pleasure." It's true you know. So count yourself lucky, do your best in school, and make Mom & Dad proud.

Realize also that any woman who loses respect for you in these particular (rare) circumstances is doing so because she has a chip on her shoulder, not because your actions are not respectable. You're fortunate, and a good woman will appreciate your good fortune, not belittle you for it.


And yeah - I'm also speaking as a parent here. Also not yours ;-)
 
If your parents are capable of helping you and want to help you then by all means let them!!! I respect that you want to be independent but take advantage of your situation. Come out debt free and someday pay it forward by funding some other kid's med school.

Any girl who won't date you because your parents are paying for med school is shallow anyway.

Also if you don't end up taking the money can I have your parents' phone #? I want to apply for the scholarship you turned down 😉

Believe me, I know what you're saying. I just know how tough life in this country is right now for a lot of people and I feel fortunate to have been insulated from it. During the special master's program, I just pretended I was taking out loans like most everyone else. I didn't want anyone to know that I was different and I am definitely not going to tell any of my med school classmates either lest they think less of me.

Well I plan on doing what my parents did and putting as much money as I can toward the future education of any children that I have, because education is more important to me than any material possessions. I still drive the same 1998 Altima that I got on my 16th birthday 😛 but yeah, I guess maybe that will help the girls mitigate women thinking that I'm as much of a spoiled brat as I am because my car is nothing special? I guess I know deep down what you're saying is true but that's kind of why I wanted to at least take the loans for the living expenses, so if I'm dating women or have a girlfriend in medical school, then it is me paying for dates and valentine's day chocolates etc instead of the parents. But I guess what you're saying is true, in that if I'm out there looking for someone to spend the rest of my life with, tone way for a woman to look past it is to see that I am trying to improve our future life together by not having her inherit my $200k in student loan debt when we marry?

Re: scholarships, they've already said that if I don't take it, that along with the rest will just be split into thirds in the estate and given to my brothers and me eventually anyway, so that by not taking it I'm basically just giving $70k to each of my brothers

DoctorStrange said:
If you don't want your parents' money, I will gladly take it.

Don't feel guilty, dude. Embrace the support and live it up when you're a resident attending and debt-free.

Yeah I do see the point. I just feel like part of me feels like I don't deserve it for some reason but I guess that sounds silly. I know that I'm very fortunate but sometimes I just feel as if I don't deserve to be starting medical school. There are very few 30 year olds in my position that would have been in a position to decide to leave their job three years ago and embark on this path and not have the debt worries, and I feel like those facts are not attractive to other people, especially women.
 
Well, if you want to be responsible for your own education, take loans like the rest of us...

I don't even agree with this. It's not especially "responsible" to take out $200k worth of loans at 6.8% if you don't need to.

I would say that if you really don't want to take your parents' money, draft up an official loan contract and try to get your parents to let you pay them back over time. Of course it's still accepting a huge gift from them (interest-free money) but since they don't need that cash over the next few years, they're not losing anything from it. And if anyone asks, you can say that you're paying for your med school, because you have loans like anyone else, just with a different lender than the others have.
 
I would think that there's something wrong with you for not accepting the money, and taking out loans that will accrue interest. Your post is almost hard to believe, especially with the fact your parents can afford paying for medical school. Be smart and stay away from loans if you have the opportunity to do so.
 
As a medical student that knows how brutal these student loans are I'm going to tell you that if you don't take this offer from your parents you're dumb.
 
I can see where you are coming from but you should still take the money.

It's normal you feel guilty and I'd be worried if you didn't. Most people who have been in the workforce for a few years and are self reliant would feel the same way.

No one wants to be mooching off their parents at 30-35. Especially when you're in the dating market.

I have a lot of older female friends :naughty: and can see why you would think it would be a problem dating. Successful women who are financially secure don't want a momma's boy who still gets an allowance from his parents.It's not fair but it is the crazy **** that goes through girls' minds.

The type of girl who would be okay with it probably has no money of her own and sees $$$$ when looking at you and your family. Some people would probably be okay with this but I think girls like that are also the type that can't make money so they marry money instead of marrying someone for the right reasons.

Unless you're just looking for arm candy, this issue is going to come up if you want someone who is also financially secure and independent. Handle it tactfully and hope they like you enough to overlook it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can see where you are coming from but you should still take the money.

It's normal you feel guilty and I'd be worried if you didn't. Most people who have been in the workforce for a few years and are self reliant would feel the same way.

No one wants to be mooching off their parents at 30-35. Especially when you're in the dating market.

I have a lot of older female friends :naughty: and can see why you would think it would be a problem dating. Successful women who are financially secure don't want a momma's boy who still gets an allowance from his parents.It's not fair but it is the crazy **** that goes through girls' minds.

The type of girl who would be okay with it probably has no money of her own and sees coming from a wealthy family that likes to share as an asset. Some people would probably be okay with this but I think girls like that are also the type that can't make money so they marry money.

Unless you're just looking for arm candy, this issue is going to come up if you want someone who is also financially secure and independent. Handle it tactfully and hope they like you enough to overlook it.

Girls come dime a dozen but loan payers don't.
 
I can see where you are coming from but you should still take the money.

It's normal you feel guilty and I'd be worried if you didn't. Most people who have been in the workforce for a few years and are self reliant would feel the same way.

No one wants to be mooching off their parents at 30-35. Especially when you're in the dating market.

I have a lot of older female friends :naughty: and can see why you would think it would be a problem dating. Successful women who are financially secure don't want a momma's boy who still gets an allowance from his parents.It's not fair but it is the crazy **** that goes through girls' minds.

The type of girl who would be okay with it probably sees coming from a wealthy family that likes to share as an asset. Some people would probably be okay with this but I think girls like that are also the type that can't make money so they marry money.

Unless you're just looking for arm candy, this issue is going to come up if you want someone who is also financially secure and independent. Handle it tactfully and hope they like you enough to overlook it.

A lot of older women also don't want a guy who is 250k+ in debt at 35. Taking the money is the smart, financially responsible thing to do. If anything just pay your parents back someday and avoid the interest your loans would accrue.
 
A lot of older women also don't want a guy who is 250k+ in debt at 35. Taking the money is the smart, financially responsible thing to do. If anything just pay your parents back someday and avoid the interest your loans would accrue.

I think he should take the money too but I don't think he should be telling women that his parents still support him until he knows them better or until they understand just how much medical school debt is either. Normal people don't get how expensive it is to become a doctor, they just think doctor's make a lot of money and live care free lives.
 
dude what do your parents do??

They are specialist physicians. My dad is an ER doctor and my mother is an allergist/immunologist.

oldbearprofessor said:
This has come up before on SDN. From the parents perspective here (but, don't worry, I'm not YOUR parent), my spouse and I made a decision early on that one of our primary financial goals was to ensure that our children completed their education debt-free. My parents did this for me and it represents a core value we hold. I am grateful that pediatrics is one of those medical specialties where we can do this.

I only ask my children one thing. No, it's not to be successful professionals, they will do that anyway. It is to do the same thing for their children if at all possible.

Take the money. Be grateful for your parents ability and willingness to do this and save the angst for whether to get a strawberry or raspberry smoothie.

I sincerely appreciate the parental perspective and that's exactly the same attitude that my parents had. Money left over after basic living expenses was always put toward educational savings before anything else.

coffeesnob said:
....Lucky you.

Well, if you want to be responsible for your own education, take loans like the rest of us...But I would date a debt-free guy in place of a guy with 200k loans. I don't know what you want to hear from us on SDN... Or take the money from your parents and pay "forward" by donating to SDN.

I would be extremely grateful to have parents who make 500k a year and are willing to pay for my med school.

Yeah the accountant in me tells me that giving up a sizable sum of money out of guilt would be stupid and that's why I was already leaning toward it but the only thing holding me back was what women I dated in the future would think about it. I didn't really care about anything else.

RedIcee said:
As far as what other people think...they're just jealous or pretentious. You've obviously worked very hard to get where you are and will continue to. The opportunities to do good for everyone around you are greater when you have money.

Yes, I've worked hard, but I also recognize that I've had the opportunities to do so because I was fortunate enough to win the womb lottery. It's something that's lost on some people but it isn't lost on me. I'm not pulling myself up by my own bootstraps, rather I'm lying in the hammock.

DokterMom said:
If paying for your medical school endangers their retirement, then yes, you should refuse. But if they're both specialist MDs, then it probably doesn't... And you can accept graciously knowing that they are enormously proud of you and happy to be able to do this for you. Realize also that if you refuse, they may very well just tack the difference onto your eventual inheritance. Many parents would consider that 'only fair' -- and it is, really.

Now, having finished your post --

One thing my parents said to me that helped (at a time when I protested accepting a major financial gift in a similar situation) -- "This money will be yours someday, either now or when we die. It will do you a lot more good now than it will later, and we will be around to see you benefit from it, which will give us pleasure." It's true you know. So count yourself lucky, do your best in school, and make Mom & Dad proud.

Realize also that any woman who loses respect for you in these particular (rare) circumstances is doing so because she has a chip on her shoulder, not because your actions are not respectable. You're fortunate, and a good woman will appreciate your good fortune, not belittle you for it.

And yeah - I'm also speaking as a parent here. Also not yours ;-)

Thanks for another parental perspective. Yes all very good points although they did make it clear that if I didn't take the money that it would be divided up equally between their three children. As I mentioned, the fact of what they would think of me sponging off them was a minor concern of mine, after all I did it in college and for the special master's program so why change it? It was only what other future people that come into my life would think but that seems relatively minor as well now.

rain4venus said:
I don't even agree with this. It's not especially "responsible" to take out $200k worth of loans at 6.8% if you don't need to.

I would say that if you really don't want to take your parents' money, draft up an official loan contract and try to get your parents to let you pay them back over time. Of course it's still accepting a huge gift from them (interest-free money) but since they don't need that cash over the next few years, they're not losing anything from it. And if anyone asks, you can say that you're paying for your med school, because you have loans like anyone else, just with a different lender than the others have.

Well, as I said I'm most certainly not going to tell my classmates of the situation because I don't want to feel weird and it really isn't anyone's business anyway, but yeah significant others would find out.

DocGodfather said:
I would think that there's something wrong with you for not accepting the money, and taking out loans that will accrue interest. Your post is almost hard to believe, especially with the fact your parents can afford paying for medical school. Be smart and stay away from loans if you have the opportunity to do so.

You're right, it is stupid.

rodmichael82 said:
As a medical student that knows how brutal these student loans are I'm going to tell you that if you don't take this offer from your parents you're dumb.

I agree. Sometimes you just need some common sense knocked into you. I can pay it forward by giving the money I would have been making in loan repayments to charity and trying to ensure that I can do the same for my children.
 
I can see where you are coming from but you should still take the money.

It's normal you feel guilty and I'd be worried if you didn't. Most people who have been in the workforce for a few years and are self reliant would feel the same way.

No one wants to be mooching off their parents at 30-35. Especially when you're in the dating market.

I have a lot of older female friends :naughty: and can see why you would think it would be a problem dating. Successful women who are financially secure don't want a momma's boy who still gets an allowance from his parents.It's not fair but it is the crazy **** that goes through girls' minds.

The type of girl who would be okay with it probably has no money of her own and sees $$$$ when looking at you and your family. Some people would probably be okay with this but I think girls like that are also the type that can't make money so they marry money instead of marrying someone for the right reasons.

Unless you're just looking for arm candy, this issue is going to come up if you want someone who is also financially secure and independent. Handle it tactfully and hope they like you enough to overlook it.


Well, I was feeling MUCH better until I read this post. See the post above I made less than 10 minutes ago for proof. I WAS convinced that I was just being stupid not to take the loans but as I mentioned in my first post I really would like to meet a girl. I later posted that I thought that most girls who were interested in me for who I am (for a relationship and possibly marriage, because I'm way too old for casual crap) would appreciate not being saddled with loan payments upon marriage. Apparently though some girls would care more about making the value judgment than being free of 200k in loans.

Anthony, thank you for your post (sincerely) because it was basically what was inside my head before I posted. Other posters convinced me my thinking was stupid but seeing my initial thoughts laid out in black and white just makes me feel again like it isn't that easy of a decision. I know that girls who are just interested in med students for possible financial gain wouldn't care about it but I do feel like some if not most quality women would be sincerely turned off by it. I mean she's working a full-time job for example while I'm in medical school and living off parents?

This is why I thought a good idea might be what I suggested at the end of my original post. If I take out loans for the 20k a year in living expenses and have the parents pay for the tuition then do you think that would mitigate female concerns at all, or does the fact that they're paying for tuition still mean it doesn't make a difference?

My younger brother had his entire college and medical schooling paid for and he went to private for both (so significantly more expensive), but he didn't have to explain it to women he dated because he was in his MID 20s. That's what sucks.
 
I really don't see this being that big of a deal to any future woman that you may date. I would bet most girls would rather have a guy taking money from his parents than a guy 250k in debt.
 
With the absurd cost of med school these days, med school is quickly becoming unaffordable to people without family money (i.e., parents who are doctors). You would not definitely not be alone if you took their money.
But, http://newyork.newsday.com/business...edical-school-debt-to-reach-400-000-1.5052821

I would only take their money IF they would use it to support any other legitimate endeavor you needed it for. For instance if you wanted to be a professional pilot and needed $200,000 for training, would they pay for it (you would certainly need it more... pilots don't have the guaranteed income racket doctors do)? If they're only willing to give you money if you do what they want, that's something to think about. What will happen if you want to go into primary care and focus on your patients and only bring home $90k/year? Are they ok with you not being an electrophysiologist or pediatric cardiac surgeon or working less than average hours?

Also, it doesn't add up how your parents, who must be 30-40 years out of school, ended up paying $850,000. Even with full cost of attendance borrowed and payed back over 30 years, it just didn't cost that much back then. If that's true, people borrowing $400,000 for school now would end up paying millions. At some points, the amount being lent to regular people becomes madness. On second thought, take the money and screw the lendors and student loan system. I'd rather you have the money than them. The trend is hiking up costs and lending amounts to see just how far they can push down the lifetime earnings of middle class doctors and maximize interest payments over the sucker's career. Because of the intelligence and work ethic of these borrowers, combined with the artificially secured and inflated payments to doctors for their services, they have found a golden goose and want to see just how many eggs it can lay.
 
Well, I was feeling MUCH better until I read this post. See the post above I made less than 10 minutes ago for proof. I WAS convinced that I was just being stupid not to take the loans but as I mentioned in my first post I really would like to meet a girl. I later posted that I thought that most girls who were interested in me for who I am (for a relationship and possibly marriage, because I'm way too old for casual crap) would appreciate not being saddled with loan payments upon marriage. Apparently though some girls would care more about making the value judgment than being free of 200k in loans.

Anthony, thank you for your post (sincerely) because it was basically what was inside my head before I posted. Other posters convinced me my thinking was stupid but seeing my initial thoughts laid out in black and white just makes me feel again like it isn't that easy of a decision. I know that girls who are just interested in med students for possible financial gain wouldn't care about it but I do feel like some if not most quality women would be sincerely turned off by it. I mean she's working a full-time job for example while I'm in medical school and living off parents?

This is why I thought a good idea might be what I suggested at the end of my original post. If I take out loans for the 20k a year in living expenses and have the parents pay for the tuition then do you think that would mitigate female concerns at all, or does the fact that they're paying for tuition still mean it doesn't make a difference?

My younger brother had his entire college and medical schooling paid for and he went to private for both (so significantly more expensive), but he didn't have to explain it to women he dated because he was in his MID 20s. That's what sucks.

Don't throw money away because you're feeling self conscious. It just doesn't make sense.

Your parents being able to support you is a blessing. Any girl worth keeping around will understand that. Just like 99% of the SDN'ers who are taking loans are screaming at you to take the money.
 
With the absurd cost of med school these days, med school is quickly becoming unaffordable to people without family money (i.e., parents who are doctors). You would not definitely not be alone if you took their money.
But, http://newyork.newsday.com/business/...-000-1.5052821
I would only take their money IF they would use it to support any other legitimate endeavor you needed it for. For instance if you wanted to be a professional pilot and needed $200,000 for training, would they pay for it (you would certainly need it more... pilots don't have the guaranteed income racket doctors do)? If they're only willing to give you money if you do what they want, that's something to think about. What will happen if you want to go into primary care and focus on your patients and only bring home $90k/year? Are they ok with you not being an electrophysiologist or pediatric cardiac surgeon or working less than average hours?

Also, it doesn't add up how your parents, who must be 30-40 years out of school, ended up paying $850,000. Even with full cost of attendance borrowed and payed back over 30 years, it just didn't cost that much back then. If that's true, people borrowing $400,000 for school now would end up paying millions. At some points, the amount being lent to regular people becomes madness. On second thought, take the money and screw the lendors and student loan system. I'd rather you have the money than them. The trend is hiking up costs and lending amounts to see just how far they can push down the lifetime earnings of middle class doctors and maximize interest payments over the sucker's career. Because of the intelligence and work ethic of these borrowers, combined with the artificially secured and inflated payments to doctors for their services, they have found a golden goose and want to see just how many eggs it can lay.

Ah, I think you misunderstood this part of my original post. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

DMMJK said:
My two younger siblings are 26 and 28 and are both financially independent after attending out-of-state privates for undergrad and attending top-tier out of state law and medical schools, respectively. The 28 year old has been out of medical school for two years and the 26 year old graduated from law school last year. Neither of them have any debt from their education and are now financially independent. My parents ended up putting approximately $850,000 toward their education ($475,000 for the medical school graduate and $365,000 for the law school graduate) and so for all intents and purposes, they are now financially independent.

The total cost of the education of my brothers was ~$850,000. They both went to expensive private colleges and then one went to a top tier law school and the other went to a top tier medical school. They are 26 and 28 so the cost of attendance for law and medical schools is not dramatically higher than what it was earlier in the decade.

And yes I'm sure they would have been willing to put the money toward anything having to do with education ( they paid for my brother's law education even though they both detest attorneys), although I am sure they must be at least a little happy that it would be going toward medical school if I elect to take it. Neither of them are hospitalists and that's what I want to do. I've seen what they do (EM and allergy/immunology) and I'm not interested in either. I also don't want to still be in residency in my 40s.

Edit: So the other downside of taking the loans is that it would make me unsure about the financial viability of going into hospital medicine. Whereas if I don't take them, I can do what I want to do for a career. That is pretty important to me.

The only major issue as I said is what women will think about it. Anthony's post above basically put all my mentioned concerns in black and white, and while I was feeling better about it, his post made me doubt my decision I'd reached not even 10 minutes earlier to forgo the loans. I'm just worried that the type of women who I'd like to date (women who like me for my personality, because I don't care as much about things like looks or money) will be incredibly turned off by my situation.
 
Last edited:
One thing my parents said to me that helped (at a time when I protested accepting a major financial gift in a similar situation) -- "This money will be yours someday, either now or when we die. It will do you a lot more good now than it will later, and we will be around to see you benefit from it, which will give us pleasure." It's true you know. So count yourself lucky, do your best in school, and make Mom & Dad proud.

Nail on the head here. You're very very very lucky to be in the position you're in but that doesn't mean you need to ignore the opportunity to borrow the money for med school from your inheritance. No reservations! Full steam ahead!
 
I don't even agree with this. It's not especially "responsible" to take out $200k worth of loans at 6.8% if you don't need to.

2nd. If you want to pay for it yourself, ask your parents for a loan at something other than the criminal rape-level 6.8% everybody else takes. Win-win. Clear conscious, limits their ability to tell you what to do in school or specialize in. Money stays out of the hands of the lendors, and you'll eventually get that money back in the form of inheritance one day.
 
You have nothing to feel guilty about. Truly. I was going to ask about the degree to which your parents would have to sacrifice in savings, but at a net worth of >$7M it won't hurt them in the least.

Not having debt will take pressure off you during an otherwise very stressful time. Your parents know this. Take their help, be thankful, don't feel guilty, and don't look back. And quite frankly, it is stupid to pay interest that you don't have to.
 
OBP, you are really doing your kids a huge favor. There's a loophole though... "Well dad, considering the quickly rising cost of education, we've decided not to give you any grandkids..."

Also, the point about inheritance is a really good one. I'd rather get financial help when I have nothing and am in training vs. when I'm nearing retirement.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks so much everyone for your comments, I really appreciate it. Just to clarify in case there is any confusion, my only concern is what the women I date will think about it, not about burdening my parents. I want to find a woman who likes me for me and I was feeling much better about the situation as evidenced by my post #20 in this thread. That is, until I read post #15 by Anthony. He basically stated everything that was echoing in my head.

I guess it would help to know that of the people in this thread who told me that women wouldn't mind dating a guy in this situation, how many of you are women? If you could just let me know if you're women or not , I Know it sounds stupid, but it would really make me feel a lot better because you are all either medical students or future medical students and are prime examples of an educated woman in her 20s or 30s who I would hope to meet someday and have children with (except they probably wouldn't be a physician). Hearing it from male medical students or premeds just doesn't mean anywhere near as much, because face it, you are guys. You know as much or as little about what women want as I do. Granted, all of you regardless of sex ar e also far more familiar with the extraordinary cost of medical education than your average professional person, but still. If some of you who are telling me to not worry about what women will think could just let me know in the thread that you have two X chromosomes, I would feel a lot better about it and would basically ignore what Anthony said (although it was difficult because it is in my head) and take the money without reservations. 😳
 
Dude.

I'm XY, but really - either (1) don't tell them, or (2) get over it. Paying 6.8-7.9% interest on hundreds of thousands in loans for the privilege of telling your dating prospects that you're paying for school by yourself is beyond pathetic.

I know I'm not who you want to hear that from 🙄.
 
Well, I was feeling MUCH better until I read this post. See the post above I made less than 10 minutes ago for proof. I WAS convinced that I was just being stupid not to take the loans but as I mentioned in my first post I really would like to meet a girl. I later posted that I thought that most girls who were interested in me for who I am (for a relationship and possibly marriage, because I'm way too old for casual crap) would appreciate not being saddled with loan payments upon marriage. Apparently though some girls would care more about making the value judgment than being free of 200k in loans.

Anthony, thank you for your post (sincerely) because it was basically what was inside my head before I posted. Other posters convinced me my thinking was stupid but seeing my initial thoughts laid out in black and white just makes me feel again like it isn't that easy of a decision. I know that girls who are just interested in med students for possible financial gain wouldn't care about it but I do feel like some if not most quality women would be sincerely turned off by it. I mean she's working a full-time job for example while I'm in medical school and living off parents?

This is why I thought a good idea might be what I suggested at the end of my original post. If I take out loans for the 20k a year in living expenses and have the parents pay for the tuition then do you think that would mitigate female concerns at all, or does the fact that they're paying for tuition still mean it doesn't make a difference?

My younger brother had his entire college and medical schooling paid for and he went to private for both (so significantly more expensive), but he didn't have to explain it to women he dated because he was in his MID 20s. That's what sucks.

dude, being a stand up guy that doesn't seem spoiled and immature will mitigate any female concerns. Girls say they want one thing but really want another. Just don't go telling every girl you meet the first time you take her out that your parents are helping you out. If she really likes you, when she does find out, she won't make a big deal out of it no matter what her "stance" is on getting parental help.
 
Last edited:
Just to clarify in case there is any confusion, my only concern is what the women I date will think about it, not about burdening my parents. I want to find a woman who likes me for me and I was feeling much better about the situation as evidenced by my post #20 in this thread. That is, until I read post #15 by Anthony. He basically stated everything that was echoing in my head.

I Know it sounds stupid, but it would really make me feel a lot better because you are all either medical students or future medical students and are prime examples of an educated woman in her 20s or 30s who I would hope to meet someday and have children with (except they probably wouldn't be a physician).

....Your original post could have been much shorter if you were just interested in this. So you are reluctant to take the money from your parents because of how it may make you look in front of women? If "educated" women didn't see that as a good thing, would you take out 200k in loans?

I am a XX, entering medical school in my mid-20s... This thread is getting ridiculous lol
 
Last edited:
So hi everyone, here's the deal. I'm starting medical school at my state school this August and I'm 30 years old. I spent four years as a CPA after obtaining my bachelor's and master's in accounting(both obtained from state schools) and I am just now finishing up a one year special master's program at an out-of-state program, after having already had to go back and create my own post-bac to complete the medical school science prerequisites. I decided three years ago that I wasn't happy in the business world and that I wanted to pursue something which had always interested me, which was medicine.

I am the oldest of three children and both of my parents are specialist physicians. My two younger siblings are 26 and 28 and are both financially independent after attending out-of-state privates for undergrad and attending top-tier out of state law and medical schools, respectively. The 28 year old has been out of medical school for two years and the 26 year old graduated from law school last year. Neither of them have any debt from their education and are now financially independent. My parents ended up putting approximately $850,000 toward their education ($475,000 for the medical school graduate and $365,000 for the law school graduate) and so for all intents and purposes, they are now financially independent. My parents did float the cost of my undergrad and master's in accounting at one of our state schools (which cost about $70k in total), and they insisted on paying for the two years of post-bac classes at my local state university ($15k in both tuition and food, I saved money by moving back home in my late 20s and saving on rent). So they have put about $135,000 toward my education. Back when I was getting my bachelor's and accounting master's I was young and ignorant and so I didn't even realize how lucky I was to be having my parents pay for my education. But when I decided to pursue this medical dream, I tried to convince my parents that I should be the one to take out the $15k in loans for the state university science classes and living expenses and $50k for the special master's and that I should also take out the $200k in loans to fund the cost of tuition and living expenses for four years at my state medical school. They are refusing which believe me, I am incredibly grateful for, but I really wonder if this is the right path that I should be taking.

I'm 30, almost 31, and I just can't help but think that although there are significant advantages to being free of loans after medical school, there are disadvantages as well. The obvious advantage for me is that not having the debt to worry about will enable me to become a hospitalist without reservations, which is one of the lesser paid specialties. I know that I might change my mind about specialties after entering medical school, but I really don't see my mind changing about this. I have had a lot of exposure to different specialties by virtue of the fact that I have two physician parents, and hospitalist medicine is my love. So that is the primary advantage of graduating with no debt. The primary disadvantage of not taking out the $200k debt for medical school is that I feel like I'm in a different situation from my siblings. They came right out of private colleges into private medical schools and law schools, and even though they've both incurred more in educational expenses than I will have even after finishing medical school, I can't get it out of my mind that my situation is different. They knew what their ultimate goals were immediately after finishing college became financially independent of my parents by the time they were 26. If I let my parents pay for this, I will be taking money from them until I graduate in May of 2017, at which point I'll be a month shy of my 35th birthday. I am a single guy and my last relationship ended with my girlfriend 5 years ago, and I had planned on trying to meet someone during the little free time I have in law school. Most women in the age range I'd be looking at (late 20s to early 30s) are undoubtedly financially independent and I think they'd look askance at a guy in his 30s taking money for tuition and living expenses with his parents. I should note that this is not a financial imposition on my parents, because they are both still working in their late 50s and have already exceeded their nest egg goal for retirement. I'm grateful to them for the sincere offer, but I also realized that while my siblings and I were not spoiled children in terms of having a vacation house or other needless things like expensive imported autos, we were in fact spoiled by the fact that our parents have covered the cost of our education to date.

My parents and I last discussed this yesterday (I am still living at home after finishing the science prereqs last year and I obviously wasn't going to ask for them to pay for an apartment for me when I was busy taking classes or applying to medical school, but I will move nearby the state medical school approximately 3 hours away in July), and they were politely insistent that it would be incredibly stupid of me not to let them pay for it, given the fact that the student loans are now fully unsubsidized, that they would grow during residency, and primarily because they can pay it up front without it impacting their retirement in any way. They also pointed out that I shouldn't feel guilty because my education will still have cost significantly less than that of my brothers (because all of my education has been at state institutions). I want to make it clear that if my parents were middle-class or even upper-middle class but unsure about retirement prospects, that I would never ever consider having them help me with medical school, but my parents saved diligently through the years and saved almost one and a half million dollars toward their three children's future educations, so they aren't counting on the money at all. They have long-term care insurance and life insurance and all that jazz, so the only financial thing I will be doing by not taking out loans is taking away money from my two brothers who will receive less money after my parents pass on, but they obviously don't care about that either.

So to sum up (and I sincerely apologize for the length of the post) my primary reason for being reluctant to accept their financial assistance is because I'm in my 30s and I feel that makes me different than my two brothers who I'm sure don't feel guilty at all. And girls who I'd be bound to date would most likely think that I was just sponging off my parents and wouldn't think much of it. I'm beyond grateful for all the help that my parents have given me so far (most recently for letting me move back into their house to avoid paying rent while I took the science prerequisites), but I'm interested in hearing any thoughts that you have about this.

I thought one compromise that might make me feel better is letting the parents pay for the 200k in tuition but taking out the 80k living expenses in loans, that way I'm shouldering some of the burden and don't look AS MUCH like a guy in his 30s sponging off his parents (even though I would be). I know that some will say it isn't like I'm going nowhere in life and just buying cars and stuff with the money they're giving me but I'm still sponging in my opinion.

Specific numbers for anyone who cares:

Parental net worth: ~$7-8 million
Annual income: ~$500,000-$550,000

Haha... Take every dollar you can and run.

This can't be a serious question.

Feel guilty? Do it for your kids. Pay it forward.
 
Dude.

I'm XY, but really - either (1) don't tell them, or (2) get over it. Paying 6.8-7.9% interest on hundreds of thousands in loans for the privilege of telling your dating prospects that you're paying for school by yourself is beyond pathetic.

I know I'm not who you want to hear that from 🙄.

Yeah seriously. I don't know any guys that divulge their financial status to women. OP, take a deep breath and relax. My question to you is why would it be anyone's business how you paid for school? It makes no sense to take out loans and pay interest. Use common sense my man.
 
dude, being a stand up guy that doesn't seem spoiled and immature will mitigate any female concerns. Girls say they want one thing but really want another. Just don't go telling every girl you meet the first time you take her out that your parents are helping you out. If she really likes you, when she does find out, she won't make a big deal out of it no matter what her "stance" is on getting parental help.

Thank you. No of course I wouldn't tell someone until we were in a relationship because until then is none of their business. And at that point if they liked me enough to be in a relationship, I guess it's a moot point. Not like I'm hiding a felony conviction or anything.

coffeesnob said:
....Your original post could have been much shorter if you were just interested in this. I am a XX, entering medical school in my mid-20s... This thread is getting ridiculous lol

I really apologize for that. I have ADHD and the medication I have taken since childhood makes my writing way more verbose than it needs to be. I did mention that this was the only thing I was worried about in the second to last paragraph but I realize I could have gotten all of my points across in two paragraphs or last. So, yeah, that's my bad...

DocGodfather said:
Yeah seriously. I don't know any guys that divulge their financial status to women. OP, take a deep breath and relax. My question to you is why would it be anyone's business how you paid for school? It makes no sense to take out loans and pay interest. Use common sense my man.

I certainly wouldn't tell them of my financial situation until after I had gotten to know them better and we were either in a relationship or about to get into one. Certainly not a first date conversation topic, please don't get me wrong. And as I said if a woman likes me enough to get into a relationship with me then she isn't going to care about this. I'm not going to lie and say that I don't think the situation is at least a bit embarrassing for me and it certainly isn't something that women are going to be impressed by, but yeah I think some women will be able to look past it. And for those who can't look past it, well I've gotta do me and what's best for me. I would look pretty stupid telling some woman I got into a relationship with that I didn't have to take on these loans but I did it because I worried what women would think of me. It is better to look like a bit of a sponge than it is to look financially irresponsible, which is what taking out loans without needing to would be.
 
"Wait, my potential future husband WON'T BE in hundreds of thousands in debt? Not sure if I can handle that..."
 
2nd. If you want to pay for it yourself, ask your parents for a loan at something other than the criminal rape-level 6.8% everybody else takes. Win-win. Clear conscious, limits their ability to tell you what to do in school or specialize in. Money stays out of the hands of the lendors, and you'll eventually get that money back in the form of inheritance one day.

I can see the perspective of a woman who wouldn't want to be with a man whose mommy and daddy are paying for everything, but if I found out that my boyfriend's parents *wanted* to give him money for his education and he turned them down because of pride, and then went and asked the government/banks for hundreds of thousands of dollars of money (because if you're borrowing the full amount, even at a "cheap" public school, $200k is about what it will be before interest) that my family would end up paying for, that would be a MUCH bigger red flag for me. I value intelligence and responsibility even more than independence. I think independence is a good thing, but only to an extent. At some point, you have to rely on other people - the question here is just whether you're relying on your parents or the government/banks.

If I were the girl in question, I would appreciate that the man wanted to pay his own way, and I would respect that he had a plan in place to pay his parents back (all or in part - maybe just set a plan to pay back living expenses?) FAR more than I would respect him turning down free money in exchange for super expensive money. If you're worried about what girls will think, talk to your parents about borrowing the money.

P.S. I'm a chick, and once dated a guy whose parents are millionaires and I have some occasional judgment for his dependence on them. Basically he works for them now, and his salary clearly surpasses his value to the business.
Even with that perspective, I would still MUCH MUCH prefer you take the money from them outright (ie, not even repaying it) than borrowing it at 6.8+ percent. I would consider that to essentially be stealing from our future children. If you don't want to have kids, I wouldn't worry about it as much, but would still recommend borrowing from your parents. FWIW, I'm coming up on 29 yo, so probably about the age range of women you might get involved with. It's definitely true that by this point, most people are expected to be financially independent from their parents, but it's also even worse to be taking on huge amounts of debt than when you're in your mid 20s.
 
Last edited:
"Wait, my potential future husband WON'T BE in hundreds of thousands in debt? Not sure if I can handle that..."

Good point.

TheWeeIceMan said:
..."AND comes from a loaded family?" Man, the negatives are really piling up...

A woman who finds that to be a significant positive in and of itself is not someone that I would like to attract. I would just like to attract someone who doesn't find it to be a negative. Because let's face it, it is because of the family money that I have the opportunity to attend debt-free. I realize some will judge me for it but I'm hopeful that a woman I'm interesed in getting serious with would consider the alternative scenario: a guy who decided to change careers has the option to graduate med school debt free but decides not to. I realize I'm blessed to be in this situation but part of the price that comes along with making the prudent financial decision is having to mooch off the parents until 2017. If a woman will hold that fact against me then she isn't for me. It's not like I can do anything about it or that I'd WANT to do anything about it. I'm playing the cards I'm dealt and posters who are wise beyond their years have brought me to the sensible conclusion that it is stupid to turn down free money. If she's interested in me and doesn't mind the whole med school thing then the source of my income for tuition and living expenses should be irrelevant assuming that it doesn't affect how I behave toward her or my life.

rain4venus said:
I can see the perspective of a woman who wouldn't want to be with a man whose mommy and daddy are paying for everything, but if I found out that my boyfriend's parents *wanted* to give him money for his education and he turned them down because of pride, and then went and asked the government/banks for hundreds of thousands of dollars of money (because if you're borrowing the full amount, even at a "cheap" public school, $200k is about what it will be before interest) that my family would end up paying for, that would be a MUCH bigger red flag for me. I value intelligence and responsibility even more than independence. I think independence is a good thing, but only to an extent. At some point, you have to rely on other people - the question here is just whether you're relying on your parents or the government/banks.

If I were the girl in question, I would appreciate that the man wanted to pay his own way, and I would respect that he had a plan in place to pay his parents back (all or in part - maybe just set a plan to pay back living expenses?) FAR more than I would respect him turning down free money in exchange for super expensive money. If you're worried about what girls will think, talk to your parents about borrowing the money.

P.S. I'm a chick, and once dated a guy whose parents are millionaires and I have some occasional judgment for his dependence on them. Basically he works for them now, and his salary clearly surpasses his value to the business.
Even with that perspective, I would still MUCH MUCH prefer you take the money from them outright (ie, not even repaying it) than borrowing it at 6.8+ percent. I would consider that to essentially be stealing from our future children. If you don't want to have kids, I wouldn't worry about it as much, but would still recommend borrowing from your parents. FWIW, I'm coming up on 29 yo, so probably about the age range of women you might get involved with. It's definitely true that by this point, most people are expected to be financially independent from their parents, but it's also even worse to be taking on huge amounts of debt than when you're in your mid 20s.

Yes, I also know a guy like this. He was in my high school class and is the executive vice president or something like that of the 25-location furniture chain that his grandfather started and his father now runs. I'm sure that even he would tell you that his salary clearly surpasses his value to the business, but I can't really judge him for it (and I realize that I'm in a similar yet still different situation in that I have no business to inherit and that I will be making a salary more closely linked to actual value provided when I complete medical school). If I was in his situation, and I had the opportunity to make 300 grand a year and play golf almost every afternoon, I'd take it in a second. I assume most people would. I can't comment on how women would judge it, however.

I do like the point that DokterMom mentioned earlier in the thread when her parents gave her a similar financial gift: "This money will be yours someday, either now or when we die. It will do you a lot more good now than it will later, and we will be around to see you benefit from it, which will give us pleasure."" If I don't take the money, I'll just receive it later anyway, but I can make much more use of it now. I can use it to improve myself and do something that I really wish to do. I am using the money as an investment in myself rather than as just as continuous stream of money. I'm biased obviously but I feel that a woman should weigh my parental dependence against the fact that I am actively trying to accomplish something which is difficult and which will provide a benefit to society. I have friends from high school who basically finished college and are now just living in homes their parents bought for them, smoking pot, and going nowhere in life. While I'll be relying on my parents I don't think I'm in the same boat as them.

In that sense I do view my situation differently from the situations of my high school classmate and that of your ex-boyfriend, in that my situation is only temporary and that once I complete medical school I truly will be on my own, just as my brothers are. They no longer receive money from my parents to meet their basic living expenses, and there is no reason to expect that I will be any different once I complete residency. The only difference between them and me is age. I took a few years off after college to work a job and gain experience, while they went directly from college into medical school/law school. I would hope that a woman would realize that it isn't as if I just messed around for years after my bachelor's/master's before starting medical school, I mean I was working a full-time job and paying all of my own expenses. It seems rather arbitrary to hold it against me at 30 if they wouldn't have held it against me at 22, but that's their decision. All I did was shift the period of dependence a few years into the future, basically.

You talked about having a plan to pay back living expenses, well I could definitely reimburse them the 80k within the 10 years after residency. Although honestly I don't see the point in doing this, unless you're suggesting it just to convince a girl i'm about to get into a relationship with that I'm not as much of a sponge as she thinks I am. If I set up a plan to pay them back when they're age 67-77 then after they pass on I'm going to receive the 80k back as part of my share of the inheritance anyway, so isn't it kind of pointless? The 80k will almost certainly be a drop in the bucket of the eventual inheritance anyway. I could understand if I wasn't going to get the living expenses back after they pass, but I am, so in that sense, it's basically six of one and half dozen of the other. If it paying them back in this situation only to receive it back later would make a woman feel better, then I'd think they care more about how it looks/appearances rather than finances, which isn't someone I'd want to be with anyway. I mean I'd be better off just holding on to that income and investing it, which is the same as what my parents would be doing with it anyway. I hope you don't think I'm making excuses but it honestly just doesn't make sense to me.

And it really is as you put it in your post. The fact is that I want to attend medical school and need a plan to pay for it. I can either take money from my parents or take out loans. So I'm going to be dependent on someone regardless. The only question is whether I am going to be dependent on my parents or on the government. And yes, you are in the age range of women I'd probably date, so your opinion is valuable. I don't know what else I could really do to make women think more of me but I just hope that the concept of passing up free money now when I can use it when I'm going to get it as part of an inheritance decades from now anyway just doesn't make any sense. So basically, if they don't like the fact that I'm sponging off parents, then their peeve would really be with the net worth of my parents rather than my behavior, because I'd be stupid not to take advantage. And I can't control who I was born to so I guess they'll just have to deal if they like me.
 
Last edited:
Admitting that you won the womb lottery is very wise. Take the money and use your freedom from debt to pursue projects that debt-laden physicians cannot.
 
A woman who finds that to be a significant positive in and of itself is not someone that I would like to attract. I would just like to attract someone who doesn't find it to be a negative. Because let's face it, it is because of the family money that I have the opportunity to attend debt-free. I realize some will judge me for it but I'm hopeful that a woman I'm interesed in getting serious with would consider the alternative scenario: a guy who decided to change careers has the option to graduate med school debt free but decides not to. I realize I'm blessed to be in this situation but part of the price that comes along with making the prudent financial decision is having to mooch off the parents until 2017. If a woman will hold that fact against me then she isn't for me. It's not like I can do anything about it or that I'd WANT to do anything about it. I'm playing the cards I'm dealt and posters who are wise beyond their years have brought me to the sensible conclusion that it is stupid to turn down free money. If she's interested in me and doesn't mind the whole med school thing then the source of my income for tuition and living expenses should be irrelevant assuming that it doesn't affect how I behave toward her or my life.

I'm just giving you a hard time.🙂 I totally agree with everything you posted here. I would just stop worrying about it and the right girl will come along eventually.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If "educated" women didn't see that as a good thing, would you take out 200k in loans?

I am a XX, entering medical school in my mid-20s... This thread is getting ridiculous lol

I saw you added this and just wanted to respond. No I would not take out 200k in loans. That would be stupid. I already thought it was but I guess I just had nagging doubts. A woman who truly got something out of her education would realize how financially stupid that is, especially if she wants to have children with me, as rain4venus mentioned. I can't apologize for being wealthy and I realize I have been very lucky. This allowed me to spend hundreds of hours volunteering in a local AIDS clinic while I was taking my prerequisites, which undoubtedly helped with my med school application. I'd like to think that it is as I mentioned. That I still drive a car manufactured in 1998, that I buy many of my clothes off of eBay, just because I don't care about these things. I would never dream of asking my parents to buy me a new car as long as this one is working fine. I have been spoiled by educational opportunities, which I firmly believe is the best possible way that you can spoil a child if you have the opportunity to do so, and I intend to do the same with mine to the best of my ability. Spoiling children in any other way in my opinion is incredibly damaging, as I have seen with pals of mine from high school who are living in houses that their parents bought them and have not held a job in the last 8 years. My parents would never have done for me what these guys' parents have done for them, and I am glad about that, because I wouldn't want to face that choice.

Glad to hear another female perspective. And I've actually found the responses to be really varied and interesting. I hope my future classmates are similar.
 
Last edited:
I could never look myself in the mirror as a 31 year old MAN after asking my parents for hundreds of thousands of dollars (even if my parents were billionaires)... it sounds kind of beta tbh
 
If a girl doesn't like you because your family provided you with more stuff than hers did to her, then you need to run away. It is a double whammy to go into debt for the purpose of attracting these kinds of people. If you have a normal, age-appropriate relationship with your parents, and the girl you are dating has a problem with that and tries to make you feel bad, RUN AWAY. BTDT. Normal, non-psycho non-crazypossessive women shouldn't have a problem with you maintaining an emotional and financial relationship with your family. If you're 30 and you're calling your mother every day to tell her how your day went and run every single decision in your life by your mom, then yeah, she has a point. Or worse you still live there. There are lots of women who will attempt to isolate you from your family and friends, and will say things like "mommas boy" and call you a stupid frat boy for hanging out with your friends. These women typically have bad relationships with their parents and seek to isolate you in order to control you so the only ear you have is theirs. They would never pursue someone who has a close, especially financial relationship with his parents, because parents have a knack for spotting these son-snatchers. If they do happen to pursue you, they will most likely cheat on you and attempt to take your money. BTDT too. Stay away from them.
Find a pretty, kind educated (but not elitist) girl with a respectable middle class career from a middle class upbringing who has a good relationship with her parents as well and you won't go wrong. Preferably not in medical school.

And on another tangent...
It's one thing to pay your own way through state college and turn down your parents money. That's somewhat admirable because it shows early independence and self-reliance. But it's also financially possible in most cases. It's pretty much not financially possible to get through med school without help. Most med school students, even though their parents don't cover it all, still cover some (either part of tuition, help with rent, pay interest on loans, buy them a computer, pay for interviews, exams, food, car insurance, gas, vacations, etc etc etc). They will still bitch about their loans, but they still have the safety net there propping up their standard of living, which they conveniently ignore when it comes time to boast about paying their own way. Compare these people to an undergrad student who is truly on his own and has $50 to his name and is forced to work at Burger King because his parents won't cosign off on loans for him because Dad's in jail and Mom is upside down on her house. Not even close. That person no matter how smart he is, most likely will never make it to med school.
 
Its a blessing to have parents that can support you; don't let pride blind you to the assistance they offer. You'll take care of them when you're done.
 
I could never look myself in the mirror as a 31 year old MAN after asking my parents for hundreds of thousands of dollars (even if my parents were billionaires)... it sounds kind of beta tbh

Thanks Zyzz, but I'm going to disregard the advice because I don't think your life choices were particularly good either (steroids).