Older Nontrad Student life in Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pk62281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any of you fellow nontrad students provide me with any insight/advice as to what I might expect (in terms of student and social life) as a nontraditional student starting dental school? I'll be 31 and single when I start as a D1. I'll be moving to Boston, and I don't have any friends there.

Did any of you find it difficult to relate with the younger students of your class?
Did you ever feel, to put it bluntly, somewhat of an outcast because of your age?
What kind of challenges should I expect?
What were the advantages/disadvantages?

I'm pretty social, and easy to get along with, but I don't have anyone younger than 27 in my circle of friends right now. I'm not too concerned about, but it would be nice to know what I should expect.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about this too. I'm 32 and married starting this July at UoP.

Recent grad here; I was 35 when I started D school and am now the oldest person in my AEGD residency by far. Seems like there's a way bigger gap btw say a typical 23 yr D school freshman and a college freshman than you will find between yourself and the 23 yr old. People just don't change that much after their early/mid 20s. I certainly never felt excluded or like an outsider, and most of my close friends during school years were other students.

That said, you WILL on occasion feel like the senior in the room full of freshman. I found it helped to make a point of maintaining some kind of small social circle outside of school, whether that's a weekly book group or motorcycle buddies or a rec sports league or whatever. Probably good advide for any age -- the constant round of tests in 1st and 2nd year tends to bring our the obsessive/fretful side of everyone and it helps to walk away from that for a few hours a week and talk about something besides teeth.

A plus: I felt that being older helped with perspective and discipline: not getting disproportionately worried about exams and competencies, yet staying on task with a studying routine.

Congrats on starting into a great profession! It takes bravery to shift gears and go back to school... wish you the very best in D school and beyond.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any of you fellow nontrad students provide me with any insight/advice as to what I might expect (in terms of student and social life) as a nontraditional student starting dental school? I'll be 31 and single when I start as a D1. I'll be moving to Boston, and I don't have any friends there.

Did any of you find it difficult to relate with the younger students of your class?
Did you ever feel, to put it bluntly, somewhat of an outcast because of your age?

I'm pretty social, and easy to get along with, but I don't have anyone younger than 27 in my circle of friends right now. I'm not too concerned about, but it would be nice to know what I should expect.

I an a 31 yr old 4th year, and my advice to you is to not try and act 21. A lot of the younger folk are partying like the are 21-25 (because they are), don't fall into going out just for the sake of kicking it with your peers. It will affect your grades, and your 1st year of dental school might be the most difficult academic load you'll experience. Also, don't "casually date" in your class. :nono: It's a long 4 years, try to keep it from getting weird :highfive:

I an a 31 yr old 4th year, and my advice to you is to not try and act 21. A lot of the younger folk are partying like the are 21-25 (because they are), don't fall into going out just for the sake of kicking it with your peers. It will affect your grades, and your 1st year of dental school might be the most difficult academic load you'll experience. Also, don't "casually date" in your class. :nono: It's a long 4 years, try to keep it from getting weird :highfive:
Good advice. I definitely plan on having fun, but it'll be word hard play hard. I also understand that it's important to stay away from drama within your class

I am 30 and a D1 (career changer)

Even after being an adult and having a career, I dont find it hard to relate to my classmates. The majority are pretty serious about their education, so theyre more mature in their habits (IE not as much shennanigans). Besides you look about the same from 22-34, no one really knows youre older.

Youre putting entirely too much energy into thinking about this, youre only 31. Youre better looking, stronger, and fitter than you were at 21. Youre going to get alot of attention from the 22 year olds.

A big advantage is you are much better versed in time management than them, and you actually know for a fact you want to do dentistry. Some of them are still on autopilot. Life experiences counts for alot. I personally wasnt at a place in my life at 22 where I could have even attempted D school (frat boy, partier, infantryman etc). Now, at 30, Im calm and focused enough to put in the copious amounts of time D school requires.

Oh , I would recommend making some older, adult friends outside of school.

I would like to second the last part of the quote. You are going to have many chicks on your balls with daddy issues. Dont touch them. You remember how it went back in the day. You give them a taste, they want more, you dont have the time, they turn vindictive and start spreading rumors etc. D school is high school for 20 somethings.....with all of the drama it entails.

I would like to second the last part of the quote. You are going to have many chicks on your balls with daddy issues. Dont touch them. You remember how it went back in the day. You give them a taste, they want more, you dont have the time, they turn vindictive and start spreading rumors etc. D school is high school for 20 somethings.....with all of the drama it entails.

Lol, I'll do my best to save the drama for 4th year then.