OMFS Match results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFOMS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread on where everone matched in OMFS...I interviewed along with a lot of similar faces along the interview circuit and was curious to see where everyone ended up. If you don't want to reply it's not a problem....I just thought it would be interesting to see where everyone ended up.

I matched at LSU New Orleans

Members don't see this ad.

I matched at the Mayo Clinic.

Matched at U Michigan

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all you guys doing the 6 yr program, and if you dont mind, can you please post your stats?

tjb said:
I matched at the Mayo Clinic.

Hey tjb. Are you married? And do you have a family? Just curious about mayo. :D

delicious said:
Hey tjb. Are you married? And do you have a family? Just curious about mayo. :D
Yes I am married and within this week or so will have an official family.
Mayo is a program many overlook. Unless you spend some time there, it is hard to get a good feel for the program. I'm originally from the midwest so the city of Rochester is perfect. They have 5 full-time attendings which work exclusively for the clinic, which are all great personable people. The private practice training is by far the best I have seen. When I externed, they were doing at least 3-4 3rd molar cases morning and afternoon as well as other procedures (implants/biopsies/extractions), they placed ~350 implants last year and the outpatient clinic runs 5 days/week. There is no dental school or for that matter many oral surgeons in the city, so the majority of everything comes to the clinic. The outpatient clinic is brand new, as well as the entire Oral surgery dept as of Nov. People who have interviewed this year can attest that it is likely the best resident working facilities in the country. The OR cases go 5 days per week with a whole array of procedures, the week I was there I saw a rib harvest/graft, amealoblastoma resection, 2 double jaws, temporal bone implants, 2 total joint replacements, free fibula flap and a few other small things in terms of consults (ex. Treacher Collins). Now they have a new cancer attending that did the fellowship in Oregon which has taken off better than most imagined. In the next few years it will only get better as they are considering a head/neck fellowship. The medical education is by far the most broad and thorough of other OMS programs since there are only 42 students per class and you have to do the first 3 years of med school. People will say that the trauma is weak and it may be, but you are sent to Jacksonville for 3 months to do strictly trauma which sounds much better, unlike at most programs where you can get rundown and play catch-up with all the trauma that comes through taking away from your other procedures. The perks of the program are unmatched, such as free med school, etc. The thing with Mayo is they are content with how others observe them and don't get all caught up in the "we're more hardcore than you" thing. The residents are trained to do well in private practice or in academics and the Mayo name doesn't hurt. The patient population is the same you will see in private practice, which is important. Lastly, family life is possible at Mayo. No traffic, home call for the most part and affordable housing make it a very unique program. Others will disagree with things I have said, but everyone has different professional goals, Mayo just seemed to fit me best.

tjb

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, no doubt Mayo is an amazing school. Overlooked, yes. I didn't even know they had dental specialty programs until recently. I suspected you were a family man.

tjb said:
Lastly, family life is possible at Mayo. No traffic, home call for the most part and affordable housing make it a very unique program.

Frankly, I think that this quote is what you need to get into mayo. No doubt you're a super-genius - I've seen your stats on douche Yah-E's specialty stats page. I'm just saying that the environment there in rochester is a very small-townsy "gee, wouldn't this be a great place to raise your kids" type place. I think they want family people like you.

My computer is a little messed right now, so I can't make a link. But if you go to Mayo's Medical School Web Site, and look at the student profile section, there's one dude that's in oral surgery. He's a family man too, and everything he said matches what you just said perfectly. No joke, check it out.

Hey tjb, being a family man myself I was wondering how many hours do you get to spend with your family on average per night.

KY2007 said:
Hey tjb, being a family man myself I was wondering how many hours do you get to spend with your family on average per night.
Well I'm still in dental school right now, so my days are like any other dental student. Things will change I'm sure once I enter my residency. You can always assume that any surgery residency will be very time consuming. Plan on days from 6:00 AM to 7 PM, plus the time you're on call. Things tend to lighten up in med school though. These hours can be even longer at some programs while shorter at others. If you match with a program that really fits you the hours will fly and be much more enjoyable, giving you time to enjoy your family on your time off. If you hate your program, it will reflect on your family and wear you out. Pick your programs carefully. That is why I think the 1 week externships are ideal since you can experience more programs.

tjb

http://www.mayo.edu/mms/scott.html

Phew, I got it. Here's the guy at mayo. He went to creighton and his name is scott. It was the third paragraph that stuck out for me. Mayo seemed amazing to me when I first read about it. But thinking it over, rochester is in the middle of nowhere, and if you're single like me it would suck! But if you're a family person - perfect!!

Good luck at mayo tjb. I'm sure you'll be extremely successful at whatever you do. :luck:

tjb said:
The thing with Mayo is they are content with how others observe them and don't get all caught up in the "we're more hardcore than you" thing.
Yes, they seem to be too busy with the "I'm better than you" thing for the "we're more hardcore than you" thing.

delicious said:
Frankly, I think that this quote is what you need to get into mayo. No doubt you're a super-genius - I've seen your stats on douche Yah-E's specialty stats page.

1. Suck-up
2. Why is Yah-E a douche?

tx oms said:

Hmm... probably because you're an a$$-whipe. :rolleyes:

I said that because I didn't want to give the impression I thought he didn't get into mayo based on his academic standing. Talk to me again if you even interviewed at Mayo bud. Yes, I'm extremely impressed with anyone who gets into mayo for oral surgery. Maybe you're not familiar with medicine at mayo?

delicious said:
I said that because I didn't want to give the impression that he didn't get into mayo based on his academic standing. Talk to me again if you ever even interview at Mayo bud. Yes, I'm extremely impressed with anyone who gets into mayo for oral surgery. Maybe you're not familiar with medicine at mayo?

First, I don't follow your first sentence. Too many negatives. Second, it sounds like you base your impression of a residency on their medical school. Therefore, you must think all 4 year oral surgeons are unimpressive. I am not commenting on Mayo's OMFS residency b/c I don't know anything about it. I assumed you didn't know anything about Mayo's OMFS residency, either, and your post proves it.

Members don't see this ad :)
tx oms said:
Therefore, you must think all 4 year oral surgeons are unimpressive.

oh... tex. yawn :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

tjb said:
and you have to do the first 3 years of med school.

tjb

That's the part that kept me from applying...but to each his own.

tx oms said:
First, I don't follow your first sentence. Too many negatives. Second, it sounds like you base your impression of a residency on their medical school. Therefore, you must think all 4 year oral surgeons are unimpressive. I am not commenting on Mayo's OMFS residency b/c I don't know anything about it. I assumed you didn't know anything about Mayo's OMFS residency, either, and your post proves it.

Ok, to be fair, you probably have a good point here. I'm just a DS1 and I have no interest in OMFS.

But from speaking with my medical school colleagues, it's become clear that in terms of medicine, Mayo is a leader in pretty much everything. And they have tons of money and resources to do whatever they want. Now, am I correct in saying that OMFS residents do surgical, anesthesia, etc. rotations which is pretty much through the med school? So, wouldn't it follow that if these things were good at the med school they would be good for the OMFS person? I understand that a lot of things are separate from the medical school, but aren't they very interconnected? If the mayo program were only 4 years I would still have a good impression of it (as superficial as that might be).

tx oms said:
Yes, they seem to be too busy with the "I'm better than you" thing for the "we're more hardcore than you" thing.

1. Suck-up

Tx OMS: This kid doesn't know any better. All he does is say sh1t and then apologizes. He's starting this "douche" thing again because I used to call him that. He must now feels like a man now since he learned a new vocabulary, but little does he know that he's still little boy. He's all about talk, he barely has any dental education behind him. Talk about Mayo OMFS, man, this kid knows nothing about Mayo OMFS, he doesn't even know the basics in dentistry yet!

Douchelicious, listen, go study or go do something productive. No one asked you for your opinions in the big boyz' conversation. Just read and soak in. You're like a damn stink in a public men's bathroom that simply never goes away.

Yah-E said:
Tx OMS: This kid doesn't know any better. All he does is say sh1t and then apologizes. He's starting this "douche" thing again because I used to call him that. He must now feels like a man now since he learned a new vocabulary, but little does he know that he's still little boy. He's all about talk, he barely has any dental education behind him. Talk about Mayo OMFS, man, this kid knows nothing about Mayo OMFS, he doesn't even know the basics in dentistry yet!

Douchelicious, listen, go study or go do something productive. No one asked you for your opinions in the big boyz' conversation. Just read and soak in. You're like a damn stink in a public men's bathroom that simply never goes away.

Thanks for answering question #2 "Why is Yah-E a douche? " :laugh:

delicious said:
oh... tex. yawn :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Great point, I never thought of that. Thanks for the excellent reinforcement of your arguement.

trainwreck8ja.jpg

Yah-E said:
Douchelicious.......

............ You're like a damn stink in a public men's bathroom that simply never goes away.

LOL!

Pretty good yah-E, maybe you will make a good OMFS resident...your getting the cynical part down fast!

north2southOMFS said:
LOL!

Pretty good yah-E, maybe you will make a good OMFS resident...your getting the cynical part down fast!

I'm sure this "Douchelicious" is a good kid, I just have to give him sh1t! I'm really a lover and not a hater. :D

Yah-E said:
I'm sure this "Douchelicious" is a good kid,
aawwww!! :love: :love: I love you too Yah-E!!

Yah-E said:
I just have to give him sh1t!
What?! dammit!! You tricked me there Yah-E. :laugh: Well, I guess you're like the older brother I never had.

But back to Mayo. I really don't know that much about the school. But I know I would sell one of my kidneys (or lungs possibly :idea: ) to say I got an MD there. :rolleyes:

AUG2UAG said:
and i was recently hoping this douche was a hottie b/c there's no way anyone can act like such a douche!

I don't understand what this means. Also, why did you bring this past quote of mine up? :laugh: Do you want me to talk more about my feelings for UCONN? Or was that an attempt to kiss Yah-E's butt? I've noticed you in the dental forum: "Oh, Yah-E, can I clean up your Official Specialty Stats Thread?" Hey, are you still going to UCONN bud?

AUG2UAG said:
it means i mistook your man boobs for an amazon 36-24-36
What?! No, seriously... what did you mean?