Omfs Program For Foreign Trained Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental mickey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am applying for OMFS program for 2007.Submitted my PASS application.Has a part-1 score of 87 and planning to give part-2 in november.Graduated in 1996 and did a 2 year oral and maxillofacial surgery program outside of U.S and currently working in dept of Oral and maxillofacial surgery with very good amount of experience in Reconstruction surgeries,trauma,pathologies,3rd molars,etc.I am willing to do 1 year internship at any hospiatl in U.S.Talked with all program directors before applying to the programs got a response of "put an application and we will see it".I know being graduated from non accredited dental school,and as a foreigner my chances are bleak.Any input and advices will be apprecited.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Im exactly in ur shoes..I have 3yrs work experience in OMFS outside US ...but want to continue further training in US..and response from most program directors is very bleak..whats this PASS SCORE?

Hi, Im exactly in ur shoes..I have 3yrs work experience in OMFS outside US ...but want to continue further training in US..and response from most program directors is very bleak..whats this PASS SCORE?
now...what abt gaining OMFS internship spots? if u r eligible to apply, sdo u still need NBDE1 as an international grads? (assuming that's all u wanna do..and not heading onto OMFS residency)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is like the poor grammar thread.

Anyhow, it is extremely difficult for non US grads to get a spot here, there used to be some programs that will take non US grads (Emory comes to mind) but I think most have stopped due to problems with losing residents based on limited number of years of temporary citizenship) but I do believe most places that take an intern will take a non-US grad intern without much trouble. good luck to ya, but if you want to know the smart way, go back to D-school at a US dental school, it will make your life much easier, cause even if you do get into and finish a residency for OMFS, the only state that will ever license you is california which has too many dentists in it already.

Anyhow, it is extremely difficult for non US grads to get a spot here, there used to be some programs that will take non US grads (Emory comes to mind) but I think most have stopped due to problems with losing residents based on limited number of years of temporary citizenship) but I do believe most places that take an intern will take a non-US grad intern without much trouble. good luck to ya, but if you want to know the smart way, go back to D-school at a US dental school, it will make your life much easier, cause even if you do get into and finish a residency for OMFS, the only state that will ever license you is california which has too many dentists in it already.
i agreed of the poor grandma

if yes, what is the exact procedure for admission and which University accepts an FTD?
Thank you for your reply(in advance):)

This is like the dumbest response,dude there is nothing like "temporary citizenship" stop scaring these poor FTD's

This is like the dumbest response,dude there is nothing like "temporary citizenship" stop scaring these poor FTD's

Allright *******, When your "temporary residence card, academic visa" or whatever the hell you get when you come here to study expires, there is nothing to stop them from booting your foreign asses; this in turn leaves a gap in their training program and makes it harder on everyone else. Plus your kinda useless without the chance of ever getting anything other than a restricted license. And to further your predicament most 6 year MD programs can't take you if they have a state medical school because you've never paid US taxes which makes you not eligible for a state subsidized school. So there. That is why they don't take you.

Feel better now syphillis boy?

I'm sorry that OMFS programs don't need to flood their programs with FTD's like perio does just to fill spots.

Allright *******, When your "temporary residence card, academic visa" or whatever the hell you get when you come here to study expires, there is nothing to stop them from booting your foreign asses; this in turn leaves a gap in their training program and makes it harder on everyone else. Plus your kinda useless without the chance of ever getting anything other than a restricted license. And to further your predicament most 6 year MD programs can't take you if they have a state medical school because you've never paid US taxes which makes you not eligible for a state subsidized school. So there. That is why they don't take you.

Feel better now syphillis boy?

I'm sorry that OMFS programs don't need to flood their programs with FTD's like perio does just to fill spots.

hey buddy most of the FTD'S may not be interested in OMFS.But the reasons you have given are partially true.Though not compulsory Most of the 6 year programs do not accept FTD'S but most of the 4 year programs do.I know quiet a few who have done the programs.During the program you need to have restricted license but there are some states which allow you to do speciality practice if you have your omfs from U.S,states like Maine,TEXAS,and probably California?.Even though the OMFS programs do not give subsidies for the education i feel FTD'S willing to do the program might well afford the cost of education because it doesn't cost more than the money they are going to spend for Advanced standing program.I agree that most of the programs do not consider FTD'S but there is an exception to every rule because people have already proved before.

I am interested in pursuing a master's/residency program and would like to discuss experiences with those who are or will be in the same route. Yahoo chat michelleg5254(at)yahoo(dot)com. Voice and text work. Hope to hear from y'all! Michelle xoxo