OMFS Programs Overview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most programs fit this description.

So true. I really just mean those programs that have extra emphasis in this area.

But programs that place people into faculty positions would have to be Parkland by a mile. Other good ones: UNC, Vanderbilt.

Members don't see this ad.

armor, i vote that you do a program overview of yur program. it'd be cool to hear it from a 1st year resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC MGH actually has put quite a few people into academia as well.

Emory has consistently had their residents join academics. Both the program director and the other faculty there are home grown. There are other graduates from Emory that are all over the place in various faculty positions.

Emory has consistently had their residents join academics. Both the program director and the other faculty there are home grown. There are other graduates from Emory that are all over the place in various faculty positions.

Isn't Roser from MGH?

What do u guys think? Which are their strong points?

Heard very good things bout Ohio but would like to know ur opinion on the matter.

I loved this program. I went because Ellis is there and came away very impressed with all aspects of the program.

It has been very down for the last 5 years or so and I think this really deterred a lot of people from interviewing or applying. I think these people really missed out on a gem. Ellis is quickly building a powerhouse program.

It is a 6 year program only. They take 2 residents per year. Med school is first for about 22 months. Third year is back on OMS service for 10 months. 4th year is General surgery for only 6 months (1 year of PGY credit is awarded) and then 6 months of anesthesia. All of 5th year and all of 6th year are completely on OMS service. All in all there is around 35 months on OMS service. For me, this was the best schedule that I had seen at any program I interviewed at.

Tuition for Med school is around $16k per year for 3 years, however you are paid $24k while in med school.

The call schedule is q3-4 with 13 trauma days per month for the OMS service. Call can be taken at home.

The didactics are some of the best I saw. Just to get to discuss cases with Ellis is huge. Didactics every tuesday and thursday from 5:30-7ish.

The facilities are solid. The university has broken ground on a new hospital that will be comleted in a couple years. They also rotate on tuesdays to the downtown hospital that is also being re-built.

Ellis is currently the PD and Chair, but it appears that Dr. Perez will be taking over the PD sometime soon. Dr. Perez trained with Dr. Wolford at Baylor in orthognathics and TMJ surgery. Easily one of the coolest faculty I met anywhere. His wife, Dr. Barboza is a Prosthodontist/Periodontist who helps with the implant training at the program. Dr. Duncan is an older OMFS who was in private practice for many years and placed over 8,000 implants in his career. He and Dr. Barboza run a killer implant clinic. Dr. Lopez, who has been with Dr. Guerrero in Venezuela performing distraction osteogenesis will be joining the faculty shortly. Dr. Haverkorn who trained with Gali will be joining the faculty to run the VA in the next several months. Dr. Leibold has been on staff for a while and operates 1 day a week focusing on cosmetic surgery.

Overall I think the staff are all stars. All extremely approachable with an open door policy. There are 6 full time faculty for 8 residents who are on service at any one time.

San Antonio was a cool city. Extremely affordable and livable.

Overall I thought the program was very very well rounded in the core procedures of OMS. Virtually no Cancer or Expanded craniofacial training. Super strong anesthesia training, dentoalveolar is in abundance and implants is not only high in number but there is a superb quality of training here. Trauma numbers are very solid with no anatomical restrictions. Orthognathic training rivals most programs with 100-150 cases a year.

Reactions: 1 user
I loved this program. I went because Ellis is there and came away very impressed with all aspects of the program.

Excellent Overview of San Antonio. I agree with what Agent Scarn has said. I would like to add my thoughts on the program from what I saw.

They work out of the Dental School, University hospital, the VA, the Methodist Hospital, and the Brady Green Hospital downtown. At the dental school they have 5 consultation rooms and 3 ORs, 2 of which are set up for running Gen Anesthesia. This is awesome because they control the costs at the dental school ORs, meaning they can save patients a lot money and the residents can get more procedures accomplished. The University Hospital has 17 ORs now but the new hospital (completed by 2014 or 15) will be about double the size with 30 ORs. Right now they operate 3 days a week there. They also operate 1 day a week at Methodist Hospital. The VA has 3 Operatories with gen anesthesia capabilites as well. The downtown hospital has a dedicated OMS clinic with 1 GA/sedation room and 3 double chair operatories. This will be replaced in 2 years and will have 10 operatories.

Year 1- It starts with 2-3 weeks of OMS service and then into Med School. You will be on service 3-4 weeks in Dec and then another 3-4 weeks in June.

Year 2- It is spent entirely in Med School rotating through the clerkships.

Year 3- 1 month ACLS, Jurisprudence, and a Medicine Selective. 1 month at the VA ICU. Then 5 months VA OMS service and then 5 months University Hospital OMS.

Year 4- No OMS service. 6 months of Anesthesia and 6 months of gen surgery.

Year 5 & 6- Entirely OMS service at the University Hospital and the Dental School. Total time is about 34-35 months of OMS Service.

Perks: 3 Day Orbital course, 2 day AO course, Mock Boards to mimic ABOMS, AO/ASIF Course, Marx Pathology Course.

Weaknesses: No malignant path, no cranio. However you can spend time with ENT to get cancer experience as the current chief has done. Dr. Perez goes on mission trips and will take a resident with him to do cranio. So it is there if you look for it.

Strengths of the program: In-state tuition, low cost of living, Paid during med school, Good facilities, New Hospitals in 2-3 years, excellent implant experience, their own ORs in the dental school, very hands-on experience, diverse faculty, and Ellis building a powerhouse program.

Since there hasn't been anything about U of W, this is what I can contribute about my home program, and from my externship here.

4 year certificate program.

Hospitals Covered: 6
UWMC, Harborview (where Grey's Anatomy was based on:thumbup:), Seattle Children's, VAMC, Swedish, and Emmanuel in Portland Oregon.

Scope of Practice:
At UWMC, the residents do their own cases, including 3rds, prepros sx, implants, TMJ and teaching the undergraduates.
At Harborview, trauma neck-up (I've seen anywhere from Le fort fx to mandible fx, and lacs), and I believe we get cases from Alaska, to Montana. This is where Dr. Dillon, who was Dr. Schmit's fellow, trained at UCSF, have been doing quiet a bit of ablative and free-flap reconstructive surgeries. They also have clinic here, where they do a lot of biopsies, 3rds under iv sed, and etc.
Children's is where Dr. Egbert does a lot of craniofacial cases, and syndromic orthognathic cases. Palate repairs with hip grafts and double jaws are what I saw the most. They have a strong craniofacial team here w/ the other departments.
At VA, I believe they do implants, pros sx, and benign path. I've never been there, but that's the kind of cases I saw at Grand Rounds.
Swedish is where Dr. Feldman/ Dr. Bloomquist's practice is, and this is where you get strong training in orthog. I've only seen Dr. B operate, but he is amazing at what he does, and very efficient too. Very nice facilities, as it is private hospital.
Emmanuel is where you spend 6 months of your residency, and the hospital where Dr. Dierks and Potter spends time at. Again, I did not spend time there personally, but from what I heard from the residents, this is where you get experience in Trauma and whatever else Dr. Dierks and Potter needs to do, which is really full scope of things.

Faculty: A lot of full time faculties that have strong clinical as well as research practices. Dr. Beirne, the past chair, is world renown for his research, Dr. Bloomquist is our current chair with a strong private practice in orthognathics, Dr. Dillon is our up & coming new director, and many other notable faculties that have strong niches.

City: Great city to live in. Mostly things are driving distances, and it is a very mild city in terms of weather. UWMC, Harborview, Swedish, and Childrens is all around 10-20 mins drive. I believe you're in house for Harborview call, but other places are not. A lot of things to do outdoors, great amount of bars/ lounges, moderately priced housing, and about 5-10 mins away from suburbs/ nice areas such as Medina where Bill Gates lives.

Okay, I'm not sure if I did justice to our program, but that's about all I got tonight. If there are some mistakes/ things that you'd like to add, feel free to do so. I just hope that this is good info for guys applying in the years to come. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Does UW generally consider thier undergrad applicants over other schools for OMFS? Their website seems to have "two" different ways of applying for out or staters compared to local UW dental students. Also, generally what has UW looked at in the past for successfull applicants..
research?
boards (although they are p/f by the time I apply)
class rank?
any other particular things of importance/

Thanks!

Does UW generally consider thier undergrad applicants over other schools for OMFS? Their website seems to have "two" different ways of applying for out or staters compared to local UW dental students. Also, generally what has UW looked at in the past for successfull applicants..
research?
boards (although they are p/f by the time I apply)
class rank?
any other particular things of importance/

Thanks!

No, I don't think we prefer UW grads at all. Before couple years ago, there wasn't anybody from UW for awhile. Plus our school usually only has about 2 OMFS applicants, as we have a strong GP emphasis.
I'm not sure what the two different way of applying you're talking about, as all OMFS programs utilize PASS/ Match.
In terms of applicants they look for, all of the above. I think that's true for any specialty tho. The most important thing is that you are sure of and enjoy what you're going into, and can convey that message to the faculty. GL. :thumbup:

This was posted in with the pre-dents, it's too good to hang out there.

Gary "Accreditation Station" Ruska here,

Being an OMS faculty is interesting in that one gets to serve on committees and review other programs and really get a sense of comparing the inner workings, content, curriculum and surgical experience across programs.

GR's experience in this regard has been an eye-opener. Programs, on the inside, are not a different as one would suspect. In addition, much of the banter regarding program quality on this board comes from dental students and residents who are relatively early on in their training. While such input is valuable, it does, at times, miss the mark.

GR was fortunate (or unfortunate, based on the paperwork involved) to have visited a number of programs over the past few years, MGH included. This is a program that, historically, has gotten a relatively bad rap, similar to the way the affiliated dental school often gets a bad rap.

GR would say that MGH is at least average for most qualities of a program and certainly above average in many significant areas. The main criticism of MGH is that interns don't do much cutting, aside from wizzies and the occasional implant. However, this seems to be the culture of MGH in general, a very hierarchical system, rather than an OMS-specific attribute.

The majority of significant operative experience is in the 4th, 5th and 6th years. The 4th year is general surgery, during which the residents do cut quite a bit on plastics and the general surgical services (not necessarily directly relevant, but operative experience nonetheless). The 5th years spent time on plastics and ENT, where they definitely do a lot of cutting on head and neck cases. The remainder of their 5th year time, they are cutting trauma, implant and ambulatory cases. The 6th year is split - the chiefs spend 4 months cutting 1:1 with Kaban/Dodson (the latter operates more than one would expect) and doing a significant volume of orthognathic surgery/pediatric maxillofacial, 4 months on the craniofacial service at Boston Children's with Mulliken/Padwa/Meara (a rotation that, GR suspects, few outside the system know about or have exposure to and thus have no insight on) and 4 months on the MGH private service, doing custom joints, pathology, orthognathics and pretty much everything that falls under standard OMS practice (i.e. everything except malignant path and esthetics).

Trauma exposure is certainly adequate and the chiefs definitely knew their stuff and how to cut mandibles, midface, orbits, frontal bone and panfacials. Not a lot of knife and gun club stuff, so few major soft tissue recons.

For those interested in 6 year paths, MGH has, arguably, one of the better med school models, as the residents only do the 3rd and part of the 4th year of medical school (4 months of the 4th year is the anesthesia time). This is, of course, balanced by the hefty price tag for HMS.

GR was definitely pleasantly surprised with their scope, given the pervasive "anecdotal" evidence. Albeit limited with regard to esthetic surgery and oncology, it is otherwise comparable to most of the excellent programs. The dentoalveolar and implant experience is very good, as is the orthognathic/TMJ/craniofacial.

Of note, they have three attendings at MGH who are under the age of 40, all dual-degree guys who are excellent surgeons and will likely continue to improve the program in the years to come.

A note to applicants, particularly those for 6-year programs. The sentence above should not be taken lightly. Many of you will see a wave of turnover in faculty over the next 5-10 years. Please keep this in mind when looking at programs, as some big names will be heading to the Social Security office soon.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Now that rank lists are in would anyone be willing to give their opinions of programs they visited? It would be nice to update this thread since several programs have changed in the past couple years (San Ant, Parkland, Louisville, Houston, OSU etc.) Good luck to all who applied this year

Any additional info on Columbia, Baylor, Nebraska, Mayo?

Thanks!

Now that rank lists are in would anyone be willing to give their opinions of programs they visited? It would be nice to update this thread since several programs have changed in the past couple years (San Ant, Parkland, Louisville, Houston, OSU etc.) Good luck to all who applied this year

I'm going to do a massive update on Parkland once a few things settle in here, I just need to get all the details straight.

Now that match is over would people mind giving their .02 about each program they interviewed at? Pros, cons, good/bad vibes, faculty updates, etc. Doesn't matter where... up all night programs or bread and butter programs, 4 yr or 6yr, perio hating or perio hating (I kid, I kid), residents or non-categorical opinions also welcome, just w/e. Let's just update this sticky. Think of how helpful this thread was for yall... appreciate it!

Anyone have a review of Houston? Thanks

I would like information about this program as well. I think Armor interviewed there a while back, so he might be able to provide some input.

University of Rochester Eastman Dental Center??

Any info on this program would be greatly appreciated.

i agree - some of these programs were 'reviewed' back in '08, any pertinent changes in curriculum or scope of practice?

also, any updates or newer info on vandy's 4- and 6- year tracks?

Anyone know anything about the MUSC residency in Charleston, SC?

Hello,
Currently I'm 4th year student at the Tartu University in Estonia (EU member).
I want to become a OMS surgeon. So my big questions are:
How can I apply for a OMS residency in US?
How can I apply for a OMS recidency in UK?
What to do? Who to contact?

Due to curriculum of Tartu University after finishing Dental studies (5y)(DD) we can apply for OMS residenci (5y). Aditional MD diploma is not nessassary. In spain only MD's are admited to OMS residency. In finland for example dentists are accepted to OMS residency.

Thanks

Hey guys- I'm at University of Rochester. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. (I see a few questions about Rochester on the thread with nobody responding.)

Hey guys- I'm at University of Rochester. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. (I see a few questions about Rochester on the thread with nobody responding.)

hey donoAZ, it'd be great if you could provide a similar breakdown to the reviews from other pages (e.g. program schedule, call schedule, med school, gen surg experience, strength and weakness of your program, scope and # of procedures especially implant experience, etc.) thanks :)

I wonder why there is no one talked about UMB residency program.:sleep:
Please anyone who knows anything; share it with us regarding this program. thanx

Anyone have a review of Houston? Thanks

All right, heres a quickie...
now 3 6year and 3 4year
rotate between VA, Dental school, county level 1, private level 1 associated with a med school, level 3 county, some private guys and now a san antonio rotation.

Plenty of trauma. Plenty of everything. Just started cosmetics this year. Rotate in san antonio with air force program that does full cosmetics crap. Now we have part-time OMFS/full plastics trained staff at county level 1 and cosmetics are picking up there as well. 5th and 6th year are pretty much all on service. You cut as a 5th/3rd year and expect to cut. No malignant path but that should change in a year. No primary craniofacial but that may change as we are starting this year to rotate on the shriners cleft team and the goal is to take it over.

Pros: Great exposure through numerous rotations at different hospitals/clinics. Good volume. Cosmetics really picking up. Laughlin (oncology/microvascular felloship) from San Diego Navy program should be coming in a year to start malignant path. Craniofacial should be picking up.

Cons: Spread out. Humidity. No malignant path now.

overall: You will finish very well rounded. Externs here tell us we are busier than some other "big name" programs that people are always drooling over on SDN. I really wish I was a 3rd year or younger as I think things will get even better in the next few years.

Take home message to applicants: all residents lie about their programs. Take everything they all say with a grain of salt. A residency is what you make of it. I understand that now.

Does Houston OMS have a tie with any of the military services?

Define tie...
Air Force: They rotate at one of our level 1s for trauma. We rotate there in san antonio for cosmetics

Navy: They rotate at our other level 1 for trauma

Army: San Antonio Army and Air Force are joining so army will be rotating here as well

Canadian forces: one of our 4 year spots is always reserved for a canadian military person

So yes, we are "tied" to almost all the military services in North America

I mean are all the other 3 four yr spots offered to military first..?

I will have to disagree...
Most but not all residents I spoke to when I was applying and interviewing told me the truth about their programs whether it was good or horrible. I plan on doing the same about my program (Parkland). So I definitely think one should rely on his gut feeling of course but must also rely on what is portrayed by the residents.

-Peace out

I will have to disagree...
Most but not all residents I spoke to when I was applying and interviewing told me the truth about their programs whether it was good or horrible. I plan on doing the same about my program (Parkland). So I definitely think one should rely on his gut feeling of course but must also rely on what is portrayed by the residents.

-Peace out

You definately have to go by what residents tell you...but trust me, everyone lies (insert embellish if it makes you feel better) to a certain extent. You'll figure out what I'm talking about when you're not so wet behind the ears

http://www.cookcountyomfs.com

It only took our program 100 years before we decided to make a website. A fantastic program in a fantastic city.

Cook County has always been renowned as a great training program. Lying low over the last few years, largely because we had no website and no communication with the outside world, we are now taking various steps to show that we are still a powerhouse OMFS program.

We have 8 residents, 1 intern, and externs are free to apply.

Started 100 years ago by Dr. Potts (yes, think of Cook County OMFS every time you get out the Potts elevator, he invented it!) it has evolved into a great all around program.

We have one of the busiest outpatient clinics in the country, we do sedations with ketamine, fentanyl, versed, and propofol. We see plenty of pathology, trauma, minor cosmetics here and there, reconstructions from pathology and trauma, plenty of mandibles and midface, plenty of lacerations, we do bone grafts, implants, we dive into fibulas, tibias, and hips. Our orthognathics program is starting a new chapter (starting to do more) but we do about average compared to other programs. We cover TWO level I trauma centers, but the nice thing is that you are assigned to ONE hospital at a time. Our outpatient clinic is in the hospital, so no traveling. We take HOME call.
Off service rotations include:
Medicine: Get good at H&P's, dx and treating the sick of the sick. Minor floor procedures are done as well.
Gen Surg: Working the floor and scrubbing in
Neurosurg: Manage ICU, floor patients and seeing consults
Trauma Surgery: At Cook County, enough said
Anesthesia: You run your own room, you do a lot of OMFS and ENT cases so you get to fiber optic awake a lot, LMA's, nasotracheal, etc. Spinal anesthesia, central lines, etc. STRONG.
Craniofacial: Syndromes, cleft lip, sometimes breasts (plastic surgeon attending)

"Weaknesses": Minimal cosmetics. We do reconstructions and scar revisions. We don't do elective bleph's, laser treatments, botox, face lifts, etc. The plastics service doesn't do that stuff either though. we are a county hospital and can't justify elective treatments. We do do facial reconstructions. Saddle nose deformities, pathology recons, trauma recons. Many of the same techniques are applied.
No cancer. We don't go after neck nodes. We do biopsy suspicious lesions and refer to ENT. None of the residents are that interested in cancer. If you are interested in a case, ENT is amenable to letting you scrub in...if you have time.

http://www.cookcountyomfs.com
No cancer. We don't go after neck nodes. We do biopsy suspicious lesions and refer to ENT. None of the residents are that interested in cancer. If you are interested in a case, ENT is amenable to letting you scrub in...if you have time.

that's pretty cool that ENT is down with that. but you still wouldn't call this "cancer experience" even if you elect to scrub in on these procedures, albeit minimal?

that's pretty cool that ENT is down with that. but you still wouldn't call this "cancer experience" even if you elect to scrub in on these procedures, albeit minimal?

I guess you could call it cancer experience. We do do a lot of pre radiation extractions - full mouth with local or general - depends on how wide they can open - about 2/week.

None of us here are that interested in cancer, the two ENT teams that cover county (UIC and NW) like to do it.

We see enough pathology that adding cancer whacks to the agenda would really stretch us thin.

LSU-NO
There are many other posts about this program so I will try my best to keep this one original and stick to information that has not yet been talked about.
Current Residents:
This program truly has a great bunch of guys. While on my externship they welcomed me right away. They took the time to teach me suturing techniques in the OR, allowed me to do quite a bit of operating in the OR, helped with my note writing and presentations during rounds, and were always receptive to questions that I had. I think the most impressive aspect of this program is the way the residents and faculty encourage discussion and avoid scolding when the answers aren’t known. Needless to say there are the dumb questions that arise now and again, but the upper level residents are never too harsh about it - they might assign a 10min review presentation for the next week, but I never witnessed any malicious attitudes. This was a refreshing change from the “keep your mouth shut if you don’t want to get pimped” attitude I’ve heard about and seen at other programs.
Also, these guys know how to have fun. Evenings at the pub or enjoying the festivals New Orlean’s has to offer is an integral part of this program.
Facutly:
Dr. Reddy is the chair. From what the residents have told me, he enjoys big reconstruction cases and craniofacial cases. I was only able to scrub in on one case with him. He is full of energy and has a witty sense of humour. He is constantly poking fun almost everyone around him, including himself. During the case, I was chuckling a good majority of the time. I got the impression that the residents truly respect him, and aren’t afraid to talk to him as they would with their co-residents.
Dr. Welch is one of the attendings at University Hospital. Great guy. Approachable, obviously very knowledgeable, and will come out to the pub for a drink with the residents. If you’re going to spend 6 years in an intense program, it’ll make you’re life a whole lot better if you have fun while you’re there. Dr. Welch seems to understand this well.
Dr. Perenack is the program director, and is fellowship trained in cosmetics. On the last day of my externship I shadowed him at his office in Baton Rouge. He was friendly, and explained the procedures while he was operating for my benefit. One of the Y6 residents was also there. One of the best parts of this program, according to him, was his relationship with the faculty. He said that he’ll pop into Reddy’s house to say hi to his family, Perenack will text him jokes, and Kent will call him if he needs help hooking up his internet. These are just examples, but it seems the faculty members make an effort to foster good relationships with their students.
I can’t offer any personal comments about Kent, Block or any other the others because I didn’t have the opportunity to meet them.
Scope:
Everything, including cosmetics and sleep apnea, and LOTS of cases. Residents finish this program boasting huge numbers for almost every procedure, and have cosmetics numbers exceeding those required for fellowships. Cancer cases have been fewer in the recent past, according to faculty, but the cases are there if the resident is interested. One of the neat things about this program is that the faculty were willing to staff surgeries they don’t do often if the resident is keen on it.
The Cons:
This is a very busy program, and the residents are working non-stop. The interns hardly get any weekends off, and there are no holidays during the first year.
During the medical school rotations, you can theoretically end up anywhere in Louisiana for your rotations. They will try to accommodate your requests, but it is not common to stay in New Orleans the entire time. There are also OMFS rotations in Baton Rouge (an hour away) and Charlotte, NC. These rotations are 3-4mo. depending on the number of residents in your year. Housing is provided, which is a plus. According to the residents, this is a particularly difficult program if you have a family due to all the moving around.
According to both faculty and residents, the weak areas of this program, when compared to others are dentoalveolar and IV sedation. Fair enough, as most of the residents don’t seem to be too keen on dentoalveolar anyway.
Call is in-house, split between 4 interns. So essentially q2 including second call. Face call is every other night, as they alternate with plastics.
For the more intellectually inclined, this program probably has less didactics, lectures, conferences and active research than some other programs. It truly is a more “hands on” residency than most. Apparently Reddy is trying to encourage more research and it is one of the goals of the programs to improve this area.
Overall:
Great program. I would consider myself very fortunate to match here. I believe they have all the tools and support required to train great surgeons.

UT-Memphis
This is a great 4-year program for those preparing for private practice. Not to say that one couldn't pursue an academic career, but it seemed to cover the traditional scope of OMFS very well. The hospitals that you rotate through are all roughly in the same area, so there isn't a lot of driving, which is a bonus. The program seems very family friendly. Residents meet at 6am for rounds, and are often finished by 5-6pm, sometimes earlier.
Current Residents:
I did my externship before July of this year, so only 2 of the residents I met will still be around for those of us starting in 2012. Dr. Cannon was a Y2 at the time, and will be one of the chiefs starting next July. He was very approachable, and had a good sense of humour. He didn't do as much teaching as some of the other residents I've seen, but I'm sure he'd be good to train with.
Faculty:
The faculty here wasn't the most outgoing or energetic, but they do have a lot of laughs with the residents. They make an effort to hang out with their residents, and often go for lunch with them and participate in sports pools and all that stuff. It was very much a "boys club" type of feeling at this program, with a slant towards more masculine/old school humour. If you are a very politically correct person, the jokes might be a bit offensive.
Scope:
Traditional OMFS scope. I didn't see any cosmetics or cancer cases while I was there. The resident clinic is run like a private practice, with most patients under IV sedation or nitrous. Lots of implants, wisdom teeth, preprosthetic surgery, full mouth extractions, etc. They go to a point-and-pull clinic 1-2 mornings of the week and see free care patients there. They see a lot of trauma here and the residents are extremely well trained in this aspect.
The Cons:
For those wanting to do cutting-edge craniofacial cases, big cancer cases, or cosmetics, this isn't the best program.
Memphis isn't the most appealing city (in my opinion). The area around the hospital is pretty dodgy and most of the residents live in the suburbs 20+ minutes away.
The pace of the program is slower when compared to others. During the time I was there it seemed there was lots of time to kill - this may be a bonus for those looking to avoid a high-stress residency program.

My experience as an Extern at University of Rochester for two weeks:

My first day, I met with Miss Lord Lisa administrator OMFS, She was kind enough to help me through every single step of my application process for externship and with the information for available accommodations around the hospital. As I drove to NY, Miss Lisa helped me with the daily parking and I didn’t have to pay ( it was 6-10$/ day for visitors).

Current Residents:
There are two residents/ year. While on my externship they welcomed me right away, they were very kind and approachable. During my two weeks as extern I had opportunity to rotate with all the residents. The most impressive part of the program is the way the residents are trained and work with each other. Residents work well together as a team. Most of the work during the day in clinic is shared by all the residents, when needed even the chief didn’t mind performing a simple extraction under LA. I was extremely impressed by the way the first year is being treated and taught. There were days when the second year and the third year volunteered to run the clinic to give their intern a chance to get some OR experience. Either the third year or the second year was buddied up with the first year. I could see the good work ethics that he has been taught by his seniors, no matter what the time of the day or night was, patient care was done thorough and methodically. It is not to exaggerate but I really was impressed by the quality of work. I have seen all the residents from the first year to the chief go through the details of the procedure to the patient. As the work load was very well distributed there was no need for the resident to rush through the procedure and compromise the quality of care. I was particularly impressed by the way the senior residents taught the junior residents and the resident and attending interaction. The attitude of the residents was like a breath of fresh air, no harsh comments, no sarcastic remarks. There were interactive sessions and the resident who is unsure of particular topic was made to read and present it the next week. And always an attending was present during rounds, no matter what the day was including the weekends.

Faculty: There were over 14 attending I had had chance to interact and work with
Dr Lee D Pollan Chair of the Program
Joseph J. Fantuzzo Program Director
David Anderson (Attending OMFS)
Jolly Caplash (Attending OMFS)
Richard Edwards (Attending OMFS)

Dr Lee D Pollan Chair of the Program: From what I have seen he enjoys big cases like orthognathic and reconstructions. I was fortunate and was able to scrub in all of his cases. Dr Pollan spends majority of time in clinic with residents and was put of every step including model surgery. He has good sense of humor and is constantly teaching the residents in the OR. He brings in good number of big cases to the table. The attending interviewed the patient before the procedure; Chief gets to decide the approach and planning the cases. Dr Pollan would agree with the chief if there was good rational for the proposed procedure and the chief had scalpel majority of the time and is the primary surgeon in the cases, the residents truly respect him.

Joseph J. Fantuzzo Program Director: I was also able to scrub in all his cases, approachable and extremely helpful. From what I see took major responsibility for interactive discussions with residents. He brings good cases to the clinic, from what I have seen he is in the clinic every day, End of the day Dr Frantuzzo who discuss the pre ops with the residents and more than just going over the cases it was interactive. During my stay with them, the intern had a presentation, program director and all the residents were kind enough to listen the presentation and to help the intern with the changes for the next day. Dr Frantuzzo believed in teaching, I saw him teach the intern the suturing techniques but at the same time expected the intern to read about the technique and be prepared. What surprised me was Dr Frantuzzo was with residents in the clinic and on very busy day, didn’t mind to stay after to help the residents. I didn’t see him being upset, even if he had to stay after clinic because of patient load. He strongly believed in work quality and I saw all the residents are trained like him.

Jolly Caplash (Attending OMFS): Dr Caplash seemed to me as fun and tried to help residents every possible way to make their life easier. When I was their extern, we had five cases, three mandible fx, one infection case, one pediatric case on a Friday evening when were just about to end the day, Chief wanted to take care of the pts the same day. He called the attending Dr Caplash and I was amazed that the attending actually cancelled his plans to help the residents, Yes the same day all the patients were taken care. Residents have good relationship with him and aren’t afraid to talk to him as they would with their co-residents.

Richard Edwards (Attending OMFS): The week I was with them the Wednesday was Dr Edwards OR day, my first day happened to be Monday, I heard the chief say it was Dr Edwards week. I was wondering what it meant. Tuesday night when we had our pre op discussion I was shocked to find out Dr Edwards OR means at least 5-6 orthognathic cases, I am not exaggerating the numbers. The next day I was amazed to see two single jaw and three double jaw cases all in one day. Dr Edwards is very lively person with great sense of humor, I had chance to scrub on his cases he was kind enough to show and teach me during the cases. The nurses, anesthesiologist and everybody in the hospital loved him. I was told by the residents that Dr Edward would have BBQ, Dinners and treat residents very well. Residents truly love him

Scope:

Pros:Tons of sedations, scheduling is done keeping resident education in mind. At least 7-8 sedations (as far as I have seen) every day. Sedations done by either the second, third or the chief. Unlike other programs even the second year does the sedations. Decent amount of trauma exposure (being NY), tons and tons of orthognathic. Most of the time chief had scalpel and was major part of the surgery, the attending helped but was only there to direct and help if needed. Looking into the numbers from last year log, good number of TMJ, and pathology. Not sure about cosmetic cases

Cons: Harsh winter

Overall: Great well balanced OMFS program, wonderful experience being with them for two weeks. I would consider myself very fortunate to be part of their team.

UMKC:
As the current chief resident I can attest to the amount of work that we do. It is true that the majority of our cases are trauma. I would say that 50-60% of our monthly cases during trauma season are trauma related. But also, during winter months trauma slows we do a significant amount of path/reconstruction and orthognathic. For those interested, I currently have 226 procedures logged and thats through 2 months of my 4 months as chief. We perform every aspect of the scope of OMS except microvascular procedures.

Also, UMKC now offers a 4 year match position as well as 2 paid internships at the main hospital and 2 paid internships at the dental school. 7 positions per year is alot but we have a very busy clinic that runs everyday and see between 50-70 patients a day.

Call is in-house covering 2 level-1 trauma centers. One adult and one pediatric. ENT and plastics take minimal call at either institution. We are the primary facial service for both hospitals. We are the primary airway service for critical care at Truman medical center and perform roughly 50-60 tracheostomies per year. Also, upper level residents cover the level-1 hospital a few miles away but that call is home call. We admit our own patients at both level-1 hospitals and manage ICU patients as well even though the ICU is a closed ICU.

OMS is part of the city wide Sleep Apnea clinic. We perform everthing from genioglossal advancement to open nasal reconstruction with speader grafts to maxillomandibular advancement.

TMD is a small part of the daily practice but UMKC OMS are the only providers of TMD services in the greater Kansas City area. We perform roughly 3-4 full TMJ replacements per year and 3-4 TMJ scopes/washouts per month. Enough to be comfortable by graduation.

We rotate with the pediatric craniofacial surgeon and get great cleft/syndromic exposure at the childrens hospital.

We also have 2 fully plastics trained oral surgeons that have a private practice within the city. As an upper level resident you spend 4 months as their primary resident and perform office based oral surgery as well as many facial cosmetic procedures.

Residents do all cutting, the staff are always present and scrubbed. The year 3-6 residents are comfortable with most bread and butter OMS by the time they become chief.

First year residents get at least one day per week in the OR. Clinic is resident run with staff support. Plenty of dentoalveolar and patient experiences. Most interns are comfortable with emergency room procedures including I&D, closed nasal reduction, closed reduction of mandible fractures and complex laceration closure. I would say that OMS interns are easily some of the busiest residents in our hospital.

If anyone is interested we offer 1-4 week externships and can provide housing in-house if necessary.

For more information about the program refer to the website.

http://www.med.umkc.edu/residency/oms/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, here is a review of LSU-New Orleans' general curriculum. some slight variation between years, but thats mostly it...

1st year:
OMS - 9 months integrated with:
Anesthesia-2 months
Graduate Head and Neck Anatomy
Graduate Oral Pathology Course
Introduction to Clinical Medicine
DermatologyClinical Pathology
-Pass Step I of Medical National Boards

2nd Year
Clerkships of 3rd academic year - LSU Medical School

3rd Year
Clerkships of 4th academic year - LSU Medical School
Anesthesiology-2 months
OMS 2-3 months
M.D. Awarded in May

4th Year
General Surgery1, includes:
General Surgery and subspecialties, 5months
Neurosurgery, 3-4months
OMS, 3-4 months

5th Year
OMS, 12 months
Graduate Orthognathic Surgery Course

6th Year
OMS, 12 months
Certificate Awarded

*Ave. OMFS months are 41-43 months.

Hope that helps, gives you guys something to compare with while on your interview/externship tours.

Ps: Surgical numbers posting soon...

-4yr program
-2residents/yr
-Lots of faculty
-Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center (BGSMC), VA, Midwestern University are the main ones.
-BGSMC Trauma call is majority OMFS (20days) and Plastics (about 10days). ENT is serviced from outside contracted physicians. There are situations where one can scrub with ENT and hopes are to be involved more closely with Plastics. Great array of faculty to work with.
-OMFS is on H&N infection, dentoalveolar call the days Plastics has trauma
-Midwestern University is the dental school. Lots of implants. Lots of office-based ridge augmentation techniques. Plenty of teeth currently. Great faculty involvement from the full timers to adjunct. Lots of perspective and input to give.
-VA is a good solid exposure. Faculty there is a great teacher.
-Other: there are about 4-5 other facilities the residents have privileges in to scrub cases.
-Didactics are mainly Tuesday afternoons. Other days residents are involved with General Surgery lectures. Currently, Journal club is monthly.
-Call schedule depends on how many residents are on service. One needs to feel comfortable quickly in the hospital setting b/c there is lots of autonomy.

Any other questions about the program, please fire away.

-4yr program
-2residents/yr
-Lots of faculty
-Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center (BGSMC), VA, Midwestern University are the main ones.
-BGSMC Trauma call is majority OMFS (20days) and Plastics (about 10days). ENT is serviced from outside contracted physicians. There are situations where one can scrub with ENT and hopes are to be involved more closely with Plastics. Great array of faculty to work with.
-OMFS is on H&N infection, dentoalveolar call the days Plastics has trauma
-Midwestern University is the dental school. Lots of implants. Lots of office-based ridge augmentation techniques. Plenty of teeth currently. Great faculty involvement from the full timers to adjunct. Lots of perspective and input to give.
-VA is a good solid exposure. Faculty there is a great teacher.
-Other: there are about 4-5 other facilities the residents have privileges in to scrub cases.
-Didactics are mainly Tuesday afternoons. Other days residents are involved with General Surgery lectures. Currently, Journal club is monthly.
-Call schedule depends on how many residents are on service. One needs to feel comfortable quickly in the hospital setting b/c there is lots of autonomy.

Any other questions about the program, please fire away.

for some reason, i was under the impression that Banner was going to be a 6-year program during its formative years.

any cancer/pathology?

My understanding is that they are working with an Arizona med school to allow for a '2-year' option post-residency.

My understanding is that they are working with an Arizona med school to allow for a '2-year' option post-residency.

well, if it were to be any med school, Midwestern would make the most sense....but this would lead to DDS/DO's

Anyone have any info on NOVA? Interviewing there Monday and wanted to see about the program....

I am having a difficult time finding any information about this program. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light?