OMFS residency letters of rec. question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent2018istry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I currently have 4 letters of recommendation from oral surgeons which means I have space for 1 more letter. I was wondering which of the following would be my best option:
1) My school's head pathologist who asked me to tutor students in the year below me and who knows me pretty well.
2) My pre-doc OMFS clinic faculty who has worked with me a lot. However, he is not an actual oral surgeon but is in the department.
3) A periodontist who knows me the best
4) My school's dean of students who knows me very well

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT: Unproductive.

The best person is the person who you would estimate would give you the best reference letter. Usually the person who knows you best would be that person

The best person would be an oral surgeon.

Reactions: 1 user
The PD at my dental school said if a letter isn't from an oral surgeon, he doesn't even bother reading it. Anyone you get a letter from will say good things about you, but he is trying to figure out if you will survive a rigorous residency that only someone who has been through it will be able to comment on

The PD at my dental school said if a letter isn't from an oral surgeon, he doesn't even bother reading it. Anyone you get a letter from will say good things about you, but he is trying to figure out if you will survive a rigorous residency that only someone who has been through it will be able to comment on
PD from my dental school OMFS program says the exact same thing lol.

Bump

Last edited:
Hi!
I currently have 4 letters of recommendation from oral surgeons which means I have space for 1 more letter. I was wondering which of the following would be my best option:
1) My school's head pathologist who asked me to tutor students in the year below me and who knows me pretty well.
2) My pre-doc OMFS clinic faculty who has worked with me a lot. However, he is not an actual oral surgeon but is in the department.
3) A periodontist who knows me the best
4) My school's dean of students who knows me very well
Dean or OS.