OMM in psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melissa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
I was just curious as to how DOs in psychiatry use manipulation. Could someone pleas explain to me say how a physician would use manipulation for someone with depression? Also, for DOs in their phychiatry internship, residency, practice I was wondering how often you use OMM?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My parents used belt manipulation on my backside as child psychiatric therapy.
No seriously, ever have postural pain that nearly drove you mad?
How bout being isolated from your friends cuz somatic dysfunction keeps you form attending judo classes with them. That might cause depression.
Soft tissue techniques sure can be relaxing... Other than that I don't know I'm just a first year.
smile.gif

FYI, I heard that the Head of Psychiatry
at Temple Medical School in Philadelphia
is a DO! My friend who is an MS-II there
told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... we just had a psych lecturer who told us he used OMT all the time.

Soft tissue, yes, is probably the most used because it will relax the patient. Myofascial release... cranial...

Your options are out there!

------------------
-mz

Reichian therapy is perfect for D.O. psychiatrists. Check out www.orgonomicscience.org, and the book by Morton Herskowitz, cited therein.

[This message has been edited by Qi Whiz (edited 11-22-2000).]

I worked for 5 years in a psychiatric ER and outpatient Psych clinic at an allopathic teaching hospital. I had two good D.O. friends who were residents. Basically as a resident you will not use OMM on psych patients for 3 reasons.

1) Time. There is none esp outpatient

2) No Tables to work on

3) Allopathic attendings

So sorry guys. However my good D.O. friend absolutly wants to us OMT on psych pts as soon as he is done with his child psych fellowship.

Probably NOT a good idea of using OMM on psych patients unless your idea of a day at work is getting shanked in the jugular with a broken comb!