NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
So I guess TUCOM Mare Island requires trunks/no shirt for males and a bathing suit for females. Which other schools require females to wear a sports bra & shorts or bathing suit and require males to not wear a shirt? Can we compile a list?

This got buried in the DO Uniform thread, so I'm posting it under this title.

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
at UNE, depending on what you're doing that day you can get away with jeans and a t-shirt... if we're doing hip/leg/knee stuff you need to be wearing shorts or sweats. They'll say at the beginning you have to wear shorts and t-shirts, and they'll be strict for the first month or so, but after that they get pretty lax...

Fin-Nor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2003
South Side
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
y ppl have an issue with this, i have no idea...

how do you expect to palpate someone if they have all their layering of clothes on? all school probably require in one form or fashion that guys wear shorts and tshirt. when time calls, you take that shirt off and have someone palpate you.

same for girls, except that they wear sports bras. no big deal.

when you're done, put it back on.

C

Chronotropic

Doesn't matter what the dress code is, because at some point you'll be taking off your shirt so you can be palpated.
I know that some people are uncomfortable with it and theres nothing wrong with that. But just know that the whole lab is very professional.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
At OSUCOM, we wear scrubs to lab. Women wear sports bras and everyone occasionally has to remove shirts. Honestly, I can't think of anytime after first semester when we did, though.

Marianne11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Henderson-Las Vegas NV
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Fin-Nor said:
y ppl have an issue with this, i have no idea...

how do you expect to palpate someone if they have all their layering of clothes on? all school probably require in one form or fashion that guys wear shorts and tshirt. when time calls, you take that shirt off and have someone palpate you.

same for girls, except that they wear sports bras. no big deal.

when you're done, put it back on.

Hmm....are you a guy? I'm not comfortable with all the guys in the class seeing me in just a bra. Sports bra = tank top kind? or bra? If I was small-busted, it maybe wouldn't be a big deal, but this concerns me a little. How do other girls feel about this?
:eek:

JimmyMallo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Austin, TX
Status
I'm sure many women feel this way, many men as well. The fact is we are going to be doing much more to our patients and it gives not only hands on practice but a small bit of humility that will serve us well in practice. That being said it is probably not somfortable for some and that might not be a bad thing.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
sports bras are more like a tank top, just shorter.

OP
N

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
Marianne11 said:
Hmm....are you a guy? I'm not comfortable with all the guys in the class seeing me in just a bra. Sports bra = tank top kind? or bra? If I was small-busted, it maybe wouldn't be a big deal, but this concerns me a little. How do other girls feel about this?
:eek:
I'm a guy, and I think this is absurd. If I need to palpate a girl's abdomen, I can either do it through a tshirt or slide my hand underneath. There's no need to put anyone through the additional discomfort of undressing in front of her (or his) entire medical school class. This no shirt thing is nothing short of absurd.

OP
N

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
JimmyMallo said:
I'm sure many women feel this way, many men as well. The fact is we are going to be doing much more to our patients and it gives not only hands on practice but a small bit of humility that will serve us well in practice. That being said it is probably not somfortable for some and that might not be a bad thing.
We won't be going to our patients' schools or places of employment and removing their clothing in front of 150 of their colleagues so we can examine them.

raptor5

Fooled by Randomness
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2003
Without cell reception
I can agree with the humility idea but the fact is you just have to get over it. Its two years. You see people that are fat, bony, skinny, have tats everywhere, multiple piercings, deformities, scars, and so forth. It is not my place to judge people so I do not really care what my lab partner wears or looks like. If you go to PCOM it is the least of your worries. For anatomy lab eveyone changes in the same area, yes coed. For guys make sure you are wearing drawers and they are clean. For ladies ditch the thong for something more conservative or you will inevitably get some drooling person guy/girl staring at you. Its all about breaking down those barriers and looking at the human body in a much different way than you are used too.

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
Beach or Pool, you pick...
Visit site
Status
I personally don't have a problem with it. I am well aware of the fact that I will take of my shirt and see many other girls doing the same. Some will have bigger boobs/flatter stomach/etc. than me...some will not.

I like the beach and dislike farmer's tan lines entirely too much to be extremely self conscious. Heck; maybe the idea of taking my clothes off in front of more ppl frequently will motivate me to work out some more.

Regardless, everyone in the room is giong to have some of the same insecurities at a different level and be uncomfortable with some part of their body. Use this experience as a way to step out of your comfort zone and allow growth.

DORoe

BWAAA HAAA HAAA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Status
At OUCOM you have to wear shorts and a t-shirt if you are a guy and shorts and a bathing suit/sports bra if you are a girl. We do make exceptions for those in the class that might not be able to walk around in a sports bra due to religious reasons but for the most part everyone complies. Often girls can get away with some sort of tank-top which can allow for some modesty and can wear a sweatshirt during the time they are the doctor. You can also opt to buy a full bathing suit with an exposed back which will solve all of these problems. The thing is that after a while its really not a problem. I got comfortable with my shirt off after the first couple of labs.

Fin-Nor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2003
South Side
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
NeuroDO said:
I'm a guy, and I think this is absurd. If I need to palpate a girl's abdomen, I can either do it through a tshirt or slide my hand underneath. There's no need to put anyone through the additional discomfort of undressing in front of her (or his) entire medical school class. This no shirt thing is nothing short of absurd.
absurd?

what do you think your patients will be doing? are you going to be dx'ing through clothes? how do you think they are going to feel when their doctor is nervous or even remotely shy about being exposed themselves? your patients will be fully exposed to you-- sometimes not even wearing a top or bottom.

what is going to be of discomfort is a person who'll be treating you and they're shy about touching or palpating a patient.

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
DORoe said:
At OUCOM you have to wear shorts and a t-shirt if you are a guy and shorts and a bathing suit/sports bra if you are a girl. We do make exceptions for those in the class that might not be able to walk around in a sports bra due to religious reasons but for the most part everyone complies. Often girls can get away with some sort of tank-top which can allow for some modesty and can wear a sweatshirt during the time they are the doctor. You can also opt to buy a full bathing suit with an exposed back which will solve all of these problems. The thing is that after a while its really not a problem. I got comfortable with my shirt off after the first couple of labs.
Do Guys have to wax their back??? Is that covered by student loans? I don't mind having my shirt off.. but I don't want to either. If I do my back then I will have to do my legs and arms. MAnnnn that is weird.

ANYONE Know about UNECOM??

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
docbill said:
Do Guys have to wax their back??? Is that covered by student loans? I don't mind having my shirt off.. but I don't want to either. If I do my back then I will have to do my legs and arms. MAnnnn that is weird.

Post #2

DORoe

BWAAA HAAA HAAA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Status
docbill said:

waxing, like a computer, is covered under student loans as a special addition to your fin. aid package. You have to prove that you have excessive body hair by having nude beefcake photo's taken of you and then have a note from the salon saying that they can actually help your problem. Remember, and this is very important, bikini waxes will not be covered unless you actually decide to attend labs wearing a bananna hammock.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
At LECOM-FL, guys wear shorts/trackpants/scrub pants and a tshirt, sometimes with a sweatshirt over it. We've been in school 5 months now, and I've only taken my shirt off once (I'm a guy). Girls wear the same thing as the guys, but with a sportsbra under their shirt - they remove their shirts even less often than the guys. I find there are certain people that do frequently remove their shirts, but they are the exception.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
DrMom said:
At OSUCOM, we wear scrubs to lab. Women wear sports bras and everyone occasionally has to remove shirts. Honestly, I can't think of anytime after first semester when we did, though.
We did it one day only. And most people wear t-shirts with scub pants, athletic pants, or sweatpants in my class.

OP
N

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
Fin-Nor said:
absurd?

what do you think your patients will be doing? are you going to be dx'ing through clothes? how do you think they are going to feel when their doctor is nervous or even remotely shy about being exposed themselves? your patients will be fully exposed to you-- sometimes not even wearing a top or bottom.

what is going to be of discomfort is a person who'll be treating you and they're shy about touching or palpating a patient.
Being exposed is not the issue here. The issue is being needlessly exposed in front of 150 of your colleagues. Would I examine my patients without their clothing in front of 150 for their coworkers? No.

Your analogy is fundamentally flawed.

OP
N

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
docbill said:

Very astute observations! I have a very hairy chest, and I am concerned that it will interfere with my partner's ability to practice OMT on me. If a tshirt will interfere with the proper execution of the treatment, I can only imagine what a dense patch of hair will do. I really must get this taken care of. I would hate to interfer with any of my fellow students' learning experiences due to the textiles that unfortunantly grow upon my body.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
NeuroDO said:
Being exposed is not the issue here. The issue is being needlessly exposed in front of 150 of your colleagues. Would I examine my patients without their clothing in front of 150 for their coworkers? No.

If you can't be shirtless in front of a crowd, how will you do in a gyno exam with an attractive 18 year old girl?

OP
N

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
If you can't be shirtless in front of a crowd, how will you do in a gyno exam with an attractive 18 year old girl?

Give me a break. It's about maturity.
Give me a break. Would you subject an attractive 18 year old girl to a gyno exam in front of your entire medical school class of 160 people? No.

Would you perform the gyno exam in a private examination room? Yes.

This isn't about being naked, it's about being unnecessarily naked in front of over 100 people.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
NeuroDO said:
Give me a break. Would you subject an attractive 18 year old girl to a gyno exam in front of your entire medical school class of 160 people? No.

Would you perform the gyno exam in a private examination room? Yes.

This isn't about being naked, it's about being unnecessarily naked in front of over 100 people.
There is no nudity in OMM. The coverage is the same if you are in public at a beach or pool.

Secondly, only a few schools require you to go shirtless.

OP
N

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
Secondly, only a few schools require you to go shirtless.
Do you know which ones? This is what I wanted to find out.

Thanks, and I hope I didn't sound too bitchy before.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
NeuroDO said:
Do you know which ones? This is what I wanted to find out.

Thanks, and I hope I didn't sound too bitchy before.
OSU-COM makes you do it like the first 2 days and thats it.

PublicEnemy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
so apparently the standard line from UMDNJ is:

"OMM? what's that?"

haha, just kidding. just a little self-effacing humor.

Fin-Nor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2003
South Side
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
NeuroDO said:

i cant even believe that you're still stuck on this. are we still in elementary school? come on, grow up. nobody is fully naked in class. we are here to learn about the human anatomy. everyone is different and if you arent exposed to that, where else can you learn?

if you cant appreciate the human body without thinking about it in a perversed way, there's some issues here. once you start, you'll see how rediculous you argument is here.

OP
N

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
Fin-Nor said:
if you cant appreciate the human body without thinking about it in a perversed way, there's some issues here. once you start, you'll see how rediculous you argument is here.
Point taken, but "perversed" is not a word. I think you mean perverted.

This has nothing to do with perversion, it has to do with dignity. I don't think it's dignified to ask medical students to attend any class without their shirts, whether they are male or female.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
NeuroDO said:
Point taken, but "perversed" is not a word. I think you mean perverted.

This has nothing to do with perversion, it has to do with dignity. I don't think it's dignified to ask medical students to attend any class without their shirts, whether they are male or female.
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but have you never been to the beach or a pool?

I don't think everyone at these places has lost their dignity.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
To be fair there are some people who are modest even at a beach or pool. I, for one, would never wear a two piece at a beach or pool and I wear shorts too.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Megalofyia said:
To be fair there are some people who are modest even at a beach or pool. I, for one, would never wear a two piece at a beach or pool and I wear shorts too.
That is true, but there are certain things you need to get over as a physician. If you are "easily embarrased," then it shows that your maturity level has not risen to the level required to present the most professional attitude.

Additionally, it helps to know how your patients feel sometimes---> having everyone and their dog take a look at you and what is wrong with you while at a hospital. Being in their shoes will make you a more compassionate physician.

OP
N

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but have you never been to the beach or a pool?

I don't think everyone at these places has lost their dignity.
Beach? Pool? Ha!

I've had group sex in front of an audience, i.e., I'm not shy.

My point is that there's a lot of difference between these settings and medical school classes.

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Megalofyia said:
Me neither. But I am a guy. I use to be fat, so I would always have T-shirt.

Since last summer, I don't mind it... but the summer sucked. It was either too cold or too humid.

Okay... I think this thread is drifting off.. beware DrMom might put a stop to this. :eek:

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
OSUdoc08 said:
That is true, but there are certain things you need to get over as a physician. If you are "easily embarrased," then it shows that your maturity level has not risen to the level required to present the most professional attitude.

Additionally, it helps to know how your patients feel sometimes---> having everyone and their dog take a look at you and what is wrong with you while at a hospital. Being in their shoes will make you a more compassionate physician.
I don't agree. YOU as a physician, have to realize some people (mostly female) are very uncomfortable with showing their body to anyone else.
BTW, one can be a physician and be self consious about their body. Doctors also have problems.

OP
N

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
I know a lot of girls who are quite mature and who will make excellent physicians, but they are too shy about their bodies to be comfortable undressing, even at the pool or beach.

Does their personal insecurity about their bodies mean they won't be good and capable physicians? Certainly not.

While I'm glad I decided to apply to osteopathic schools, I can't imagine this shirtless policy flying at any major allopathic school or any major reserach university in the United States.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
docbill said:
Okay... I think this thread is drifting off.. beware DrMom might put a stop to this. :eek:
This thread is getting lame.. especially with comments like
OSUdoc08 said:
My modesty level has nothing to do with my professional maturity level.
I'm not necessarily easily embarresed so much as I have a high level of modesty.

OSUdoc08 said:
Who's to say I haven't been a patient before in a hospital? Trust me it is a completely different feeling from being in a classroom with your peers in a sports bra and shorts. I dont think a semester of undresing in front of people is going to make me more empathetic than I already am.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
All I can say is that everyone in my class took their shirts off without problems and were mature about it.

There are so much more important things to worry about in medical school (and life) than taking off your shirt in front of someone----you have to be a patient throughout OMM, so why not act like one?

If you think it is such a big deal, then don't show up to class that day----I'm you sure can get a "doctor's note."

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
OSUdoc08 said:
All I can say is that everyone in my class took their shirts off without problems and were mature about it.

There are so much more important things to worry about in medical school (and life) than taking off your shirt in front of someone----you have to be a patient throughout OMM, so why not act like one?

If you think it is such a big deal, then don't show up to class that day----I'm you sure can get a "doctor's note."
Considering that OBESITY is the number one problem facing the US. I would prefer people leaving their shirts on. Maybe at OSU you guys are still too confident about your 100% pass rate... but that is no reason to take your shirts off. hehehe

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
See that comment is a good example of how NOT to be mature or empathetic..
:rolleyes:

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Megalofyia said:
See that comment is a good example of how NOT to be mature or empathetic..
:rolleyes:
True, but you can't get through life by always being serious.

raptor5

Fooled by Randomness
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2003
Without cell reception
If you don't like the rules don't go to DO school. These are trivial things in the grand scheme of things. I would like everyone that has a problem with the OMM dress code to address those feelings to the adcom during interview time, maybe they can help you more than actual DO students can. Better yet contact the OMM chair at a specific school and ask him/her why the dress code is the way it is b/c some people obviously think our answers are insufficient. It seems the answer you want to hear is that oh we will change the dress code for YOU because of YOUR insecurities. Grow up and get over yourself. The sooner you realize med school is not all about YOU the better off you will be.

Reactions: Tbird7

DOrk

Digital Rectal Examiner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2002
Erie, PA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At LECOM-Erie you wear shorts/sports bra for girls, shorts/shirts for guys. As a girl I only had to take off my shirt for the palpation of back, stomach as the patient. When it was my turn to be the "doctor" I put my shirt back on. It is very professional. For the OMM practicals we all had to take our shirts off irregardless for time efficiency. I don't know what the big fuss is about, you wear less on the beach in a bikini. :confused:

PublicEnemy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
the allo forum has a thread on a very similar topic regarding their physical exam practice. so, this issue doesn't apply just to OMM.

its not that big a deal. no one here is the first insecure person to go through this. but some of this, play hard or go home attitude isn't warranted either.

this isn't purely about maturity or professionalism, its more about personal comfort and modesty. people have a right to voice concerns or insecurities. and if its that big a deal for some people, then maybe they can talk to whoever they need to and see what the exact situation is. so there's no need to cut up each other or scream bloody murder at the administrations of various schools. we're all colleagues here.

DrFeelgoodDO

PV,PO,PR - in that order
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
docbill said:
Considering that OBESITY is the number one problem facing the US. I would prefer people leaving their shirts on. Maybe at OSU you guys are still too confident about your 100% pass rate... but that is no reason to take your shirts off. hehehe

Yeah it's just a problem US....there's no way in hell it could cross the border into another industrialized country. No way...............................

F-ing Canadians......always pissing on the US. Never taking any responsibility for anything. Liberal pricks.

MaloCCOM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2002
www.thealo.com
Status
At CCOM you do not take off any clothing. Everything is done through the clothes. Just wear comfortable clothing, no jeans. We believe that just as you palpate through muscles and fat to feel structure, you should be able to palpate through a t-shirt. We have a DVD called OMM Chicago Style. It's sent out to all the DO schools. Awesome stuff!

see the thread called DO Uniforms for more.

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
DrFeelgoodDO said:
Yeah it's just a problem US....there's no way in hell it could cross the border into another industrialized country. No way...............................

F-ing Canadians......always pissing on the US. Never taking any responsibility for anything. Liberal pricks.

#$^% Smart ass... I said US since most people on SDN are from the US. Most including yourself would care little to know about Canadians and how fat they get. By the way our obesity rate is lower than that of the US... but not by far.

So before you start the Canadian bashing, you may want to consider asking me what I meant.

Another thing What the F#Q$^ are you taking about taking responsibility??? For what?? For you fat ARS???? Get real. I use to be a fat ass.. and yeah.. maybe I am bias towards obesity. So what, bite me... or better yet.. go bite some fast food.

Just because I am a liberal doesn't mean that I will accept your BS. Sounds to me like you have some issues with most of my posts... cause you concluded I am a liberal prick.. You could not have gotten that from this post alone.

Plus you already tried insulting me in a previous post.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2135962#post2135962

That is okay you have the right... As a N.American to have you opinion... even if it is against me.