OMM research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klm84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am about to start my first year at DMU, and I'm glad to hear that they have a strong OMM program. However I have been recently looking into what kind of articles and research there is on the topic and most of it seems pretty sparse, especially outside of back pain. Does anyone know of any physicians who have much experience in OMM research? Or any good articles to read?

Members don't see this ad.

This should be useful:
http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/abstract/101/4_suppl_2/6S

[FONT=helvetica,arial] A nonsurgical approach to low back pain

. [FONT=helvetica,arial] RT Jermyn . Low back pain, a leading cause of disability in the United States, has a significant economic impact not only on lost productivity but also on healthcare expenditures. Approximately a fifth of patients will see multiple physicians in their quest for relief of low back pain. Primary care physicians therefore play a crucial role in the initial approach to these patients. A thorough history and physical examination directed toward the neurologic, orthopedic, and osteopathic evaluation are essential. This article reviews the diagnosis and assessment of pain levels and a triad system of therapy involving cortical, spinal, and peripheral levels. Options include antidepressants, neuroleptics, neurostimulants, and osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) (cortical level); opiates, tramadol hydrochloride, and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulators (spinal level); and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, epidural injections, spinal blocks, antispasmodics, physical therapy, muscle relaxants, exercise, and OMT (peripheral level), By choosing a modality directed at each level, the clinician may provide the patient with a pain management program that will maximize the chosen mode of therapy and restore function and mobility.