OMS Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhobie7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone recommend an OMS externship where you get to do procedures? I don't want to sit around watching stuff. I can do that at my school. Thanks,
Solomon

Members don't see this ad.

These are the places that I've been to or that my friends have been to.

UCSF - didnt do jack
Baylor - didnt do jack
Parkland - point and pull
LSU NO - point and pull
Mt. Sinai - didnt do jack

Doggie said:
These are the places that I've been to or that my friends have been to.

UCSF - didnt do jack
Baylor - didnt do jack
Parkland - point and pull
LSU NO - point and pull

Man, we never make the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doggie said:

That's b/c once you get here as an "extern," ask to go to Elmhurst, an affiilated hospital that is a trauma I center. Mt. Sinai will let you do some stuff (I let some externs pull teeth), but the OMFS clinic isn't exactly the tooth-shucking factory you'd think it would be.

Do you know about externing at these places? Ah, yes and I'm just joking about Disneyland, unless you like scaring the hell out of kids.

Any good experiences you've had anywhere else? Thanks all.

Come down to UT-Memphis we will put you to work. Every extern I have taken on trauma with me went from a boy to a man overnight. This place is so busy no one will have a problem with an extra set of hands doing some work.

Pittsburgh - didn't do jack
UF Jacksonville - do a lot

Good trend.... I had the same question

Brutus0725 said:
Good trend.... I had the same question

...and for all these programs, when did you guys go to them? Between 2nd and 3rd years, or 3rd and 4th?

I'm a new 2nd year and wanted to see if there were any programs willing to let me do some stuff...I have yet to learn how to do a block or pull any teeth. =/

Thanks

ziptree said:
...and for all these programs, when did you guys go to them? Between 2nd and 3rd years, or 3rd and 4th?

I'm a new 2nd year and wanted to see if there were any programs willing to let me do some stuff...I have yet to learn how to do a block or pull any teeth. =/

Thanks

I've heard of someone doing an externship as a 2nd year. From what I understand, they're usually done during 3rd or 4th year.

drhobie7 said:
I've heard of someone doing an externship as a 2nd year. From what I understand, they're usually done during 3rd or 4th year.
I spent 3 weeks at the Mayo Clinic between my 2nd and 3rd year. I didn't know jack (some say I still don't) but they know who you are and they don't expect you to know much at that level. In some ways, it doesn't matter how much you know because your main job is to just be available and be a nice guy. After externs leave our program, we don't talk about how smart they were. The conversations revolve around "he was a hard worker and tireless" or "he's a nice guy to be around for 6 years". There's also "he was a lazy bum" or "I don't want to put up with that arrogant a$$hole for 6 years".

toofache32 said:
The conversations revolve around "he was a hard worker and tireless" or "he's a nice guy to be around for 6 years". There's also "he was a lazy bum" or "I don't want to put up with that arrogant a$$hole for 6 years".

You got the lazy bum comment didn't you.

toofache32 said:
"he was a lazy bum" or "I don't want to put up with that arrogant a$$hole for 6 years".

I think that's why UCSF didnt invite me to interview....... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
drhobie7 said:
Do you know about externing at these places? Ah, yes and I'm just joking about Disneyland, unless you like scaring the hell out of kids.

Any good experiences you've had anywhere else? Thanks all.

I didnt officially go through an externship at columbia, cuz I went there for school. However, I hung out at the omfs department enough to know how things kinda worked.

You get to do the usual morning pre/rounds, attend OR, and pull teeth at the clinic. The clinic is always full of rotating 3rd/4th year DDS students, OMS residents, and OMS wannabes. To complicate things, there arent that many patients to begin with, so as an extern, you probably will be lucky if you perform extractions on 3 or so patients in a day. Morning rounds and OR's are very interesting.....the attendings will take their time on the side to explain what things mean to the externs and DDS students. I think the call schedule is something like q 3.

Has anyone gotten malpractice insurance for an OMS externship outside your school? My school says they don't trust me anymore, and my policy has been revoked ever since I went wild west style, extracting at will. Yeeehaaaawww!

Kidding. But I would like some insurance info. Thanks.

When I did externships, my school policy always covered me. Have you actually checked with them yet? They should get asked every year so it should be an easy question for them.

Yeah, I checked with our dean of student affairs who told me the school doesn't provide any coverage for externships. But another student who's starting her OMS program this summer said we're covered after we do our first OMS rotation. That sounds more plausible.

drhobie7 said:
Yeah, I checked with our dean of student affairs who told me the school doesn't provide any coverage for externships. But another student who's starting her OMS program this summer said we're covered after we do our first OMS rotation. That sounds more plausible.

I know you PMed me, but I'll just answer you here. I don't know where you can purchase student liability/malpractice insurance separately, but I know I've read it somewhere on SDN in an old thread (don't ask me which thread either) that a student is able to. My school has always offered the liability insurance to me for all my externships, but they were a bit reluctant when I asked them to cover me when I wanted to do my first externship during the summer between 1st and 2nd year at Jacksonville, FL! :laugh:

My school flat told me to "shut the **** up" and go study basic sciences, no students just finished 1st year without any clinical exposure are permitted to do OMFS externships, although Jacksonville OMFS allowed me and encouraged it!

drbilldmd said:
Come down to UT-Memphis we will put you to work. Every extern I have taken on trauma with me went from a boy to a man overnight. This place is so busy no one will have a problem with an extra set of hands doing some work.

I am interested in an externship at UT-Memphis. I am starting my third year two days after taking the boards(July 11th), so I need to start learning about the process of applying for externships. How far in advance do you have to apply? I heard you need to do 2 or 3 externships to be considered for OMFS Residency. Is this true? If so, there's not a lot of time to squeeze it all in. I don't want to miss any deadlines or anything. Thanks for your help.

gonnabdds said:
I am interested in an externship at UT-Memphis. I am starting my third year two days after taking the boards(July 11th), so I need to start learning about the process of applying for externships. How far in advance do you have to apply? I heard you need to do 2 or 3 externships to be considered for OMFS Residency. Is this true? If so, there's not a lot of time to squeeze it all in. I don't want to miss any deadlines or anything. Thanks for your help.
Applying for externships is not as big of a deal as people think. Simply write a letter to the program director expressing your interest and asking what materials they need (CV, transcript?). And tell them when you are interested in going. Programs generally jump all over it because it's a way to adertise their program to you, and an easy way for them to informally "interiew" you.

Guys,

Interested in doing an externship in OMFS in the U.S. this summer as it seems to be the best place to go to be part of an established programme for 4 weeks in good modern hospitals and it even seems like you might not feel like a complete nuisance that just hangs on the corners or on a chair by the window in the OR.
I am a 2nd Dental Student with also 1 year of MD taken before I switched before I switch back again etc... so I am worried that some places won't be happy to accommodate someone as junior as me, my Programme is 5 years. I am willing to study up on everything and I have already done a 2 week observation elective in Ireland in OMFS...so where is good to apply, I don't mind doing mundane tasks or being laughed at due to my inadequacy as a Clinician as long as I get some exposure and a chance to see stuff.

Cheers...

is it true that to qualify for an OMFS externship you gotta have 90 + in part 1?

absolutely not true

is it true that to qualify for an OMFS externship you gotta have 90 + in part 1?

Some very competitive externships that receive TONS of applications for limited time periods (summers... etc) may want your board score to be high and give you preference. Toof may be able to attest to this with Parkland...

But by and large, they are happy to have any able and willing body to come and observe/participate and get a taste of what an "Attending-Gang-Rape" of the residents is truly like!

Show up on time (early is even better). Be dressed accordingly. Be "eyes and ears" at all times (even when you are exhausted or bored to tears) and work harder than you have ever worked before in your life and you will hopefully leave a good impression on the residents and staff.

Some very competitive externships that receive TONS of applications for limited time periods (summers... etc) may want your board score to be high and give you preference. Toof may be able to attest to this with Parkland...

But by and large, they are happy to have any able and willing body to come and observe/participate and get a taste of what an "Attending-Gang-Rape" of the residents is truly like!

Show up on time (early is even better). Be dressed accordingly. Be "eyes and ears" at all times (even when you are exhausted or bored to tears) and work harder than you have ever worked before in your life and you will hopefully leave a good impression on the residents and staff.

sounds like fun. .boogity..boogity..boo

VCU's externship is very hands on. You can take out as many teeth as you want, they let you suture some face lacs. You'll place some screws in the OR. It's great. Try to go on a trauma week b/c there are more opportunities.

VCU's externship is very hands on. You can take out as many teeth as you want, they let you suture some face lacs. You'll place some screws in the OR. It's great. Try to go on a trauma week b/c there are more opportunities.

Gracias amigo

Feliz Navidad

When flat4 externed at my program, he sutured an entire side of a jacked up face. It's a good thing too, because he proved that he wasnt a mullet. :thumbup:

Do you guys think by doing good jobs at your externships you kind of "bought" interviews at those programs you may not have otherwise gotten?? I always wonder if externships are overrated, or really can make people like you and that gets you somewhere....

When flat4 externed at my program, he sutured an entire side of a jacked up face. It's a good thing too, because he proved that he wasnt a mullet. :thumbup:
That was the night Doggie took my innocence...thanks for letting me do my first lac:love: Did you get the greeting card I gave your intern?

To the hopefuls: If you want to become a man, an externship at Parkland is a must. Got to pull around 200+ teeth in 2 weeks (including the nastiest calculus "bridge" I've ever seen/smelled), arch bars, lacs, plenty of OR time...just a good introduction to OS overall. Also PD's love to see that kind of experience on your resume, especially coming straight from dental school. To the guy who asked if externships help you get interviews...it works both ways. If you do good, it definitely gets you interviews (as long as your numbers aren't too low) but on the same note, if you f--k up, you can certainly close some doors.

(including the nastiest calculus "bridge" I've ever seen/smelled.

A calculus "bridge" is now referred to as a " a full grill of calculus". This will gain you some "street cred".

Do you guys think by doing good jobs at your externships you kind of "bought" interviews at those programs you may not have otherwise gotten?? I always wonder if externships are overrated, or really can make people like you and that gets you somewhere....

I externed with this one guy at parkland a while back. I thought he did a great job there, but he didnt get an interview there. Go figure....

On the flipside, I got an interview at Parkland this year after doing an externship there and I swear I had the lowest board score of anyone there so who knows.

I externed with this one guy at parkland a while back. I thought he did a great job there, but he didnt get an interview there. Go figure....

On the flipside, I got an interview at Parkland this year after doing an externship there and I swear I had the lowest board score of anyone there so who knows.

whats your score ????

Yeah, that was supposed to be you.

i knew that would be asked. lol. 91. sue me.

but, 91 is not a bad score at all, considering the effect of new part 1 format ...

To the hopefuls: If you want to become a man, an externship at Parkland is a must. Got to pull around 200+ teeth in 2 weeks (including the nastiest calculus "bridge" I've ever seen/smelled), arch bars, lacs, plenty of OR time...just a good introduction to OS overall. .

Hey! We have made many a man as well! Or at least many a girlie man! You can pull all the teeth you want at shreve if your not a loser extern who brings an video game system with them, spends all day in the call room and doesn't AM round with us!

Hey! We have made many a man as well! Or at least many a girlie man! You can pull all the teeth you want at shreve if your not a loser extern who brings an video game system with them, spends all day in the call room and doesn't AM round with us!
Definitely not trying to downplay your program. I applied to your externship as well but the time situation just didn't pan out. One of my co-resident's did one there and the stuff he told me he got to do sounds about on par with Parkland. He also said you guys like to party and some mornings, the extern's would have to try and start IV's on each other to get over the hang overs...one hell of a way to learn how to start IV's:laugh:

usc extern you can do a decent amount of stuff.... pull all the teeth you want or think you can handle.

Things u get to do: pull all shorts of teeth or whatever portion of the tooth is retained :), take PANs, throw in some sutures, I&Ds, assist with arch-bars/implants, etc, assist/observe in the OR, things along those lines. You are expected to go in on rounds, Grand Rounds, journal club, and seminars.

the residents/interns are willing to help or talk to you about stuff which is great. it was my first extern and i felt that i learned a whole great deal... i wish i could have stayed a little longer

Definitely...SC is a good externship. Each day you will see something new. The residents really try to get the externs involved. Jonnytight is a solid co-extern.

Houston is a good externship as well. Pull plenty of teeth. Sew lacs. Do little stuff in the OR. Run around all night.

usc extern you can do a decent amount of stuff.... pull all the teeth you want or think you can handle.

Things u get to do: pull all shorts of teeth or whatever portion of the tooth is retained :), take PANs, throw in some sutures, I&Ds, assist with arch-bars/implants, etc, assist/observe in the OR, things along those lines. You are expected to go in on rounds, Grand Rounds, journal club, and seminars.

Take PANS?!? You mean, like take xrays?

Washington Hospital Center - Used a Hall drill for the 1st time there. Extracted a bunch of teeth, assisted in the OR, treatment planned some implant cases. Lots of patient contact.

LSU-Shreve - This was my 1st externship and I don't think they trusted me very much:laugh: The 2nd week, I extracted a bunch of teeth, placed archbars, removed a bunch of archbars, and "cut" my 1st OR case (external I&D on a pregnant girl). Lots of good OR time. They will let you do a lot if you take initiative.

Temple - Observation mostly. OR time is good, though. You are often surgical assist, so you see the procedure from start to finish. In the clinic you do a lot of work-ups and observation, but no procedures other than management of dry sockets.

Bash brothers!

Definitely...SC is a good externship. Each day you will see something new. The residents really try to get the externs involved. Jonnytight is a solid co-extern.

Does anyone know if Rochester (NY) has an externship? If so, any experiences with the externship? Thanks.