OMS residency schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeye2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any info regarding the weekly schedule of an oms resident. I'm not averse to long hours and hard work at all. I would, however, like to have a greater understanding of the demands so I can relate to my wife what it would be like. Again, she understands it will be very time consuming, but it would be great if someone could provide a typical schedule for a week.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the program.
But expect to get to work between 5 and 6 am. And leave sometime after 6 or 7 at night. On top of being on call every 2-3 nights.

I would recommend doing an externship... it is very dificult to describe what the schedule is like as it is very fluctuant. And when you do an externship and get an idea of what the schedule is like, double or triple that idea and you will be close to what it is actually like :)

Thanks guys. What about weekends? Is it any slower all compared to Mon thru Friday or do you still expect to be there at least 6 to 6?

Since my wife and i are waiting until what at would be my second year of residency to have kids, we are trying to prepare ourselves for the situation. Luckily, her parents said they would move to wherever we move to help with the kids.