on call tonight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiJoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm an M3 on call tonight and things are pretty slow in my part of the hospital. I'm thinking of mabey wandering to the ER later and introduce myself to some of the docs and mabey ask to follow them around a while. anyone know a good way to make a good first impression and mabey convince an em doc to let me do some cool stuff while down there, without looking like a dorky med student?

I hope you guys can give me some good advice, considering you all were in my shoes not too long ago :)

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

GiJoe said:
Hey everyone,

I'm an M3 on call tonight and things are pretty slow in my part of the hospital. I'm thinking of mabey wandering to the ER later and introduce myself to some of the docs and mabey ask to follow them around a while. anyone know a good way to make a good first impression and mabey convince an em doc to let me do some cool stuff while down there, without looking like a dorky med student?

I hope you guys can give me some good advice, considering you all were in my shoes not too long ago :)

thanks!!

One way to NOT make a good impression would be to approach an EP while wearing a crotchless batman suit and ask if he/she could adjust your utility belt or be your crime fighting partner.

On the other hand....simply introducing yourself to an attending/resident that doesn't look too busy and telling them that you are a med student that is interested in emergency medicine, and that you'd like to hang out and learn some procedures if it isn't too much trouble would probably go over OK. If they say they are too busy or whatever, you can ask what day/time would be best to drop by in the future. If that doesn't work, then ask someone different on a different occasion.

Good Luck!

GiJoe said:
Hey everyone,

thanks!!

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

its not for me, but a friend of mine was looking for one of those batman suits, any ideas?