On the waitlist, should I take an EMT course during the summer?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrl4a

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the question:

I'm on the waitlist at my top school. I'm trying to have a contingency plan and sign up for an EMT course over the summer. The course won't end until the beginning of August (also the start of the school year) and I don't know whether it'd be wise to let the school I'm waitlisted at know that I'm taking the course in an update letter.

Any input? Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

jrl4a said:
Here's the question:

I'm on the waitlist at my top school. I'm trying to have a contingency plan and sign up for an EMT course over the summer. The course won't end until the beginning of August (also the start of the school year) and I don't know whether it'd be wise to let the school I'm waitlisted at know that I'm taking the course in an update letter.

Any input? Thanks all

Have you been accepted elsewhere? Would you like to do EMT if you do not matriculate this year? If the answers are no, yes then I would take the course. I'm not sure if you should send in the EMT update to the school as they might think that it would be ok to keep you out since you already planning on doing something else next year. It's not a likely train of thought, but a possible one.

No other acceptances, one waitlist.

And yes I would do EMT for the year during the next cycle if it doesn't happen this time.

I have a similar reservation you brought up. I don't think I will mention it to the school (even if I still take the class) as it might look like I'd be preparing myself for something that I wouldn't end up using. I could say that I will use it during medical school as a volunteer opportunity (which in all honesty, I would do).

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's definately a solid EC for the next application cycle should it come to that. You can you learned a lot from it, got more involved in one aspect of medicine, and as you suggested, you can also do EMT during medical school. It would definately strengthen your application, but only should it come to that. Don't bring it up in this cycle.

Hopefully you'll get in now anyway. Good luck.

I found being an EMT was a really rewarding experience. The class is a lot of fun, and the patient exposure is great. Either way it turns out , i dont think youll regret it. Good luck, hope you get in this year

facted,

I agree...that was my thinking all along. Not bringing it up this cycle...it would seem like I was just padding my application, which just taking the course and not really getting involved with it? What do you think?

I think I'll still take the course and if I do end up getting in this year, just drop the class.

Athomeonarock said:
I found being an EMT was a really rewarding experience. The class is a lot of fun, and the patient exposure is great. Either way it turns out , i dont think youll regret it. Good luck, hope you get in this year

Thanks for the support! I think I will take the course regardless, as a contingency plan.

But the real question is, whether or not to mention it to the school in an update letter. I would just be taking the course and not really have any time as an EMT before entering school. On the other hand, I could say that I am taking the course in anticipation of volunteering as an EMT during school. BUT, I have already said I will volunteer as a First Aid/CPR/AED instructor during school.

So I'm thinking "no"...don't mention the EMT course to the school.

What's your take?

The final word: don't mention it now. Take the class, and drop it if you get in. If not, enjoy the class :) That's my opinion.

facted said:
The final word: don't mention it now. Take the class, and drop it if you get in. If not, enjoy the class :) That's my opinion.

Loud and clear. Thanks for the help : )

Facted gave good advice. I tried to give him good Karma but it wouldn't let me. :(

Trekkie963 said:
Facted gave good advice. I tried to give him good Karma but it wouldn't let me. :(

I smell a conspiracy :idea:

I would definately reccomend it if you think you will use what you learn. I have been an EMT for two years and have enjoyed every minute of it. However, simply the fact you are taking the class doesn't mean much without experience. If you don't work/volunteer then you run the risk of looking like you just did it for your resume and the schools will ask why you took the class. On the other hand, it pays pretty well as a part-time job and has very flexible hours usually so even if you don't get off the waitlist you can make a little change during the next year.