You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Once in Pharmacy school does your GPA go down or up????
Started by TheresaKay
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
We also have to have 2.0 and no F's. We only get a limited number of d's also, but I don't know of anyone who has got to that point yet. After our third qtr, we have lost I believe 6 people for one reason or another. This qtr we also gained 3-4 students from past classes for whatever their reason. I believe that it is usual to lose a few students per qtr from here on out.
My grades started out great and have dropped each qtr, but I don't know any students who are close to the 2.0 level. I think when we lose someone for grades it is more for failing one class that can't be made up until the next year, not for dropping below the 2.0 overall level.
I know people who have over 3.75 cumulative averages and are barely in the top 50 of our class (out of 130). Kind of makes me sick because I study harder than I ever have, am getting better grades than I ever have, and I can't crack the top 20%. I am starting to really feel that those with the "c's get degrees" attitudes are the smart ones, because they don't stress near as much through school and achieve the same degree, pay, etc.
My grades started out great and have dropped each qtr, but I don't know any students who are close to the 2.0 level. I think when we lose someone for grades it is more for failing one class that can't be made up until the next year, not for dropping below the 2.0 overall level.
I know people who have over 3.75 cumulative averages and are barely in the top 50 of our class (out of 130). Kind of makes me sick because I study harder than I ever have, am getting better grades than I ever have, and I can't crack the top 20%. I am starting to really feel that those with the "c's get degrees" attitudes are the smart ones, because they don't stress near as much through school and achieve the same degree, pay, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine went waaay up, surprisingly. I think it's because I study a lot more now that I'm back living at home. I have about a 3.8 right now and in undergrad I had about a 3.4. I even held down a part time job in pharm school as opposed to having no job the last year of undergrad. I think I've become better at time management... but I do stress A LOT more.
I know I should ease up because of the "C=PharmD" thing, but it really makes me nervous going into a test not knowing everything well and just hoping for a C. I'd rather try my hardest, aim for an A and be happy with whatever I get above a C. Besides, we're going to have to learn pharmacotherapeutics and other stuff pretty well for the boards, so might as well do it right now.
I know I should ease up because of the "C=PharmD" thing, but it really makes me nervous going into a test not knowing everything well and just hoping for a C. I'd rather try my hardest, aim for an A and be happy with whatever I get above a C. Besides, we're going to have to learn pharmacotherapeutics and other stuff pretty well for the boards, so might as well do it right now.
Mine went down. And... then some. 😳
jdpharmd? said:Going down, down to China-town... 👎
To those of you whose grades are going down, is it that the work load is much more than for undergrad?
gablet said:To those of you whose grades are going down, is it that the work load is much more than for undergrad?
Yes, plus the subject matter is much more difficult. My GPA is still a solid 3.27, but I had a 3.9 in undergrad.
We lost some of our class due to grades last semester.
🙁
I wish I had a solid 3.27!
gablet said:To those of you whose grades are going down, is it that the work load is much more than for undergrad?
I might have read the original thread wrong, I thought it was about your grades changing from once you started Pharm school, not undergrad. Either way, one more qtr and my GPA will more than likely be below my undergrad also.
The workload is a bit more but what gets me is the time. I am in a three year program and there is just no time between tests. As soon as I am done with one, I have to start cramming for the next in a few days, along with getting all the busywork homework done that is assigned here and there. But I am not complaining, I figured it would be busy. I will be glad to be done in two years instead of three.
I finished undergrad with a 3.5, and after my first year of pharmacy school my gpa is hovering above a 3.1.
The material is definitely more difficult and there's much more of it at one time to cover. My first semester I had below a 3.0 and managed to pull it back up by working my ass off in the second semester.
The material is definitely more difficult and there's much more of it at one time to cover. My first semester I had below a 3.0 and managed to pull it back up by working my ass off in the second semester.
The roughly 60 hours I took for prereqs before I started pharmschool was a 4.0. My first semester at UF was a 3.49 with pretty much the same study habits as undergrad. My second semester jumped up to 3.9 because I actually started to study throughout the semester and not just before the tests as before. Overall it seems that most people find it's a little more difficult than undergrad but not overly so.
some of you are saying that you lose a few people here and there........ if you go to a private school and are shelling out 40-50K a year, how the heck do people survive after leaving pharm school w/o a degree????? That is the one thing that's really gonna motivate me to study my ass off.
i don't know what they do if they finally flunk out...TrojanAnteater said:some of you are saying that you lose a few people here and there........ if you go to a private school and are shelling out 40-50K a year, how the heck do people survive after leaving pharm school w/o a degree????? That is the one thing that's really gonna motivate me to study my ass off.
ours typically end up a class or two behind us...
i think our class has lost around 20 by now and the majority of them are in the class under us
bbmuffin said:i don't know what they do if they finally flunk out...
ours typically end up a class or two behind us...
i think our class has lost around 20 by now and the majority of them are in the class under us
At our school you repeat all the classes that you made a D in, but once you make another D you are kicked out of the program. It doesn't happen that often, because with the lighter courseload, you can concentrate on those more difficult courses that caused you trouble to begin with.
Everyone in my class made it through the 1st year of pharmacy school. It's year 2 that hurt people.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
we lost 3 or 4 our first year and then 13 our second year and then 6 or 7 our third year...dgroulx said:At our school you repeat all the classes that you made a D in, but once you make another D you are kicked out of the program. It doesn't happen that often, because with the lighter courseload, you can concentrate on those more difficult courses that caused you trouble to begin with.
Everyone in my class made it through the 1st year of pharmacy school. It's year 2 that hurt people.
you don't have to repeat D courses
you have to repeat Fs
The ones we lost our first year i think are all gone for good by now
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K