One angry $200,000 gorilla

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plusminus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else staring down the $200,000+ debt gorilla to pay for school? If so join the club.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, unless I get into a UC, I think my debt will be at least 150,000.

I have to go to a UC!

I noticed that on a few of my secondaries, I was asked how much debt I had incurred after finishing undergrad.

That couldn't possibly factor into any adcoms decisions, right?

I do have a sizeable debt from undergrad. However, most schools never asked for such specific financial info.

Just wondering. I think it's fairly obvious that the whole financial aid process is need blind at this stage of the game, but I'm surprised to have been asked (although it was good for me to look at the numbers all over again--I really need to go public for med school!).

AAK

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just for the application process including interview travel costs right? ;)

Folks, try to look at the debt from the standpoint of your earning power. Right now 150k+ looks like all the money in the world. It won't look like that if you go into interventional cardio and come out of fellowship worth a quarter of a million dollars a year.

Originally posted by Robz
This is just for the application process including interview travel costs right? ;)

No kidding. :)

Fortunately, I have no debt from undergrad. In fact, I make money going to school. Take that, all you private schoolers! Yay for state schools and the taxpayers of America!!! :clap: :clap:

Word.

$8500 in debt right now would seem like a friggin' lot since that's all I made last year by working part time. Focus on where you'll be when that debt actually IS 200+. Just a few years from major income.:cool:

Actually my college tution is less than my tution in High School.

NRA12001: Just outta curiosity...are you with the California Patriot?

Originally posted by AAKRAZY
I noticed that on a few of my secondaries, I was asked how much debt I had incurred after finishing undergrad.

That couldn't possibly factor into any adcoms decisions, right?

I do have a sizeable debt from undergrad. However, most schools never asked for such specific financial info.

Just wondering. I think it's fairly obvious that the whole financial aid process is need blind at this stage of the game, but I'm surprised to have been asked (although it was good for me to look at the numbers all over again--I really need to go public for med school!).

AAK

actually i think it does have something to do with it. i know my friend applied last year and some of the questions interviewers asked was how he would pay for med school.........and hes been telling me that i should try and get rid of unnecessary credit cards and try to improve my credit at the same time. not all schools consider the financial aspect but im pretty sure some schools do......

for example i heard georgetown was like this........anyone out there know?

What is the California Patriot? I guess my answer is No.

One of the worst pieces of "journalistic" trash out on the streets today. Pretty funny, though, and they're great for cleaning your windshield.

Members don't see this ad :)
if accepted, as an international student, do you really want me to tell you that my debt will be ............... I just got a letter from washu last week where they reminded me that as an international student, if accepted I had to have $ 220 000 in an escrow account before they issue me an I-20

Why did u think I was with the California Patriot?

The limit for stafford loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized) is $189,125. This includes undergrad, grad, post bacs, med school, etc. I dont know if it includes any other loans as well. Also not sure if there is a limit (or if this includes) any private loans. As an MSIII i recently found this out and am currently trying to find any info regarding exceeding this number....any help?
stomper

yo....

what is the typical cost of attending a U of Cali med school....... tuition, room, and board? I know it's not cheaper than what an undergrad pays.....

I don't want someone to just post numbers from their brochure. I want some actual numbers. For instance, Cal's brochure said the typical total cost was $15000 a year. I only spent $11000 a year with no financial aid.

?
?
?

I think if you live like a monk during med school, you can come in under $165k.

goto saba and come in under 100k... or a state school THAT YOU LIVE CLOSE TO with tution of 12000 or less a year.. come out on FULL LOANS with just 50k... not bad... and pay that off in a few MONTHS (about 3-4) from working your interventional cardi job... not too bad at all...

I've known people who've come out with under 100,000...of course they lived like paupers, no car, in the ghetto..but hey it'll make for a good story when they have that cardio job!

"Once upon a time I lived someplace that had cockroaches bigger than the rats..." as she steps into her BMW.

going to a state school and getting your spouse to pay your living expenses is a cheap way to go. easily under $100K.

Yeah when that interventional cardio doc is paying 60% out in insurance and overhead fees, then Uncle Sam comes along for his bite. Loans don't go away as fast as you're thinking.

futuredrswife -

There you go - just yesterday I was thanking my significant other for supporting my education habit - hey, it's still cheaper than coke. I'm definitely going to enjoy life as a kept woman.

Get a sugar momma or sugar daddy, everyone!

true. good deal for the sig-other too; i see it all as an investment. he knows that i will own him when this is over.