One month, Doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5moreminutes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not have the CBT format of practice tests, but I do have the older paper versions. I will also be using all the EK materials. Using all these, do you guys think it is possible to get a 30 plus , if I take the MCAT on July 24th, a month from now, I have absolutely nothing else, no work, no school, you guys think it is doable ? Any success stories in the past?
Thanks a lot;)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing it in one month. I work full time, too. Easily doable if you're not working

I think it is easily doable if:

1. you are a good test taker...and are probably already scoring over 30
2. you have taken the test before
3. you are a freak of nature...;)

already scoring a 30? wow, I dont think I m already scoring 30, I still have material to refresh, or concepts that were in my short term memory that I need to brush up on, and I am planning on doing all the 1001 question books for that, everyweek, judging myself with paper AAMCs

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not have the CBT format of practice tests, but I do have the older paper versions. I will also be using all the EK materials. Using all these, do you guys think it is possible to get a 30 plus , if I take the MCAT on July 24th, a month from now, I have absolutely nothing else, no work, no school, you guys think it is doable ? Any success stories in the past?
Thanks a lot;)

If you've had the pre-reqs within the past year or so, have a decent diagnostic VR score, and have the focus to really immerse yourself in MCAT study/practice, I think you can do it. If I were you I'd take the free CBT 3 test and see where you stand. This is key.

Since I had had the pre-reqs all within the last year, my diagnostic wasn't terrible: 26. I took that about 5 months before I actually ended up taking the MCAT because I procrastinated and kept putting it off. I didn't really start studying until about 5 weeks prior to the June 15th MCAT. And to be honest, I didn't study that much the last two weeks before the MCAT (mainly took practice tests). So it was really closer to a month of study. And while I have no idea how I did yet, my last four practice tests were 30, 30, 31 and 32, on a definite upward trend.

I suggest that you need a decent VR score to begin with, because that seems to be the hardest section to bring up without a lot of practice. Definitely get EK's VR book and 101 Passages if you find you do need practice. After reading their strategy my VR easily jumped from a 9 to an 11 and generally stayed around 11. PS was my nemesis. I wasn't able to break an 8 until my last four practice tests on which I finally got 10s (but on the real thing I'm betting I got an 8 or 9). You'll need to do a ton of practice problems if PS isn't your strength. And after my 8 diagnostic in BS, I was scoring 10 and 11 in BS after just a quick review of the EK bio book. However, the later CBTs had a lot more orgo in them, so I found my BS score suddenly dropping to a 9 on the more recent tests. After I finally brought myself to review orgo I was able to pull my BS score back up to an 11. The best bio review I found was EK's 1001 Bio questions. All passages, and excellent practice.

I don't have my score back yet, but I definitely think you can do it if you've got the background you need. If, however, you haven't had the basic science courses in a few years, or your VR diagnostic is a 6 or below, it might be tough to hit a 30+ is only a few weeks. You'll also need some serious dedication to MCAT studying (6-8 hours a day). Good luck!

I'm doing it in one month. I work full time, too. Easily doable if you're not working

we can do it! Please keep in touch with me :) Although I am not working, I have other things to worry about, like family, emotional trauma and things of that nature, so lets make this happen for us, and this is not a statement based on unrealistic goals, but I ve seen people do it before, I just needed a reconfirmation

thanks guys!:)

If you have nothing else to do its very doable. But you should be studying 4-5+ hours every day, no excuses.

I would say also that without any CBT practices to work with you're at a disadvantage. Its important to take computer practices because taking a test on the computer is a good bit different than using paper, especially on the verbal section.

I probably only really studied for about 5 weeks. I was taking 14 hours of classes and my mcat was May 11th, a friday, which was also my last day of exams. So that week I had 4 exams and then the mcat.

But I worked my butt of for those 5 weeks and I took 8 (!!) full length computer practice tests from Kaplan in about 2.5 weeks leading up to the real thing. I scored a 35.

If I had done the exact same thing without the CBT practices I have no doubt that I would have done at least 3-5 points worse.

In other words, its doable but I think you're at a disadvantage if you don't have all the materials to work with.

Check out this post for links to some computerized practiced tests. Granted, they aren't like the real thing, but neither is the one AAMC provides! The way I see it, they can't hurt.

Good Luck!

If you've had the pre-reqs within the past year or so, have a decent diagnostic VR score, and have the focus to really immerse yourself in MCAT study/practice, I think you can do it. If I were you I'd take the free CBT 3 test and see where you stand. This is key.

Since I had had the pre-reqs all within the last year, my diagnostic wasn't terrible: 26. I took that about 5 months before I actually ended up taking the MCAT because I procrastinated and kept putting it off. I didn't really start studying until about 5 weeks prior to the June 15th MCAT. And to be honest, I didn't study that much the last two weeks before the MCAT (mainly took practice tests). So it was really closer to a month of study. And while I have no idea how I did yet, my last four practice tests were 30, 30, 31 and 32, on a definite upward trend.

I suggest that you need a decent VR score to begin with, because that seems to be the hardest section to bring up without a lot of practice. Definitely get EK's VR book and 101 Passages if you find you do need practice. After reading their strategy my VR easily jumped from a 9 to an 11 and generally stayed around 11. PS was my nemesis. I wasn't able to break an 8 until my last four practice tests on which I finally got 10s (but on the real thing I'm betting I got an 8 or 9). You'll need to do a ton of practice problems if PS isn't your strength. And after my 8 diagnostic in BS, I was scoring 10 and 11 in BS after just a quick review of the EK bio book. However, the later CBTs had a lot more orgo in them, so I found my BS score suddenly dropping to a 9 on the more recent tests. After I finally brought myself to review orgo I was able to pull my BS score back up to an 11. The best bio review I found was EK's 1001 Bio questions. All passages, and excellent practice.

I don't have my score back yet, but I definitely think you can do it if you've got the background you need. If, however, you haven't had the basic science courses in a few years, or your VR diagnostic is a 6 or below, it might be tough to hit a 30+ is only a few weeks. You'll also need some serious dedication to MCAT studying (6-8 hours a day). Good luck!

Good advice!!

Take the free CBT AAMC 3 on e-mcat and then buy the CBT AAMC 10 for a final test before the real deal. And follow her advice above!!

Thanks a lot;)

I think the two most important things for you to do, which have probably already been said, are studying for at least 6+ hours a day...including breaks, of course and finding out where you stand with the CBT test before you start studying.

Also, buying some other tests would be informative to see progress. Say, you could do one every sunday and not study that day. Shoot, i might take this schedule myself. I will give myself more than a month. I work full time in th hospital.

I'm going to jump on board with the one-month studying... I also don't have anything else to do (no school or work). It's probably doable as long as there's no loss of focus and a person studies for 6-12 hrs/day during the time period. Oh I am going to hate this month and there's no way around it now :mad:

Don't worry guys I'm right in there with you. I started last week which gives me about 5 weeks til the July 23rd test. It might not be the same since I'm a retaker (I took the test last year), but I think it is because I have forgotten most of the information :D. Anyway good luck to all of you I'm sure we can all pull it off.

Let's do this! I bet it can be done with the advice in this column. Best of luck!

I can definitely be done. A bit of luck helps too :rolleyes: